Michigan State - Minnesota Basketball Game Time Change - 11am!

As soon as I knew that the Gophers were going to Tempe, I knew that the start time for the Sparty game was going to get moved.

However, I was thinking that the new time would be A) NYE at 3 PM (game gets over just as football starts) or B) Tuesday, December 30 at 7 PM.

You can count me in the camp that says that the 11 AM start is a bad idea.

As soon as I knew that the Gophers were going to Tempe, I knew that the start time for the Sparty game was going to get moved.

However, I was thinking that the new time would be A) NYE at 3 PM (game gets over just as football starts) or B) Tuesday, December 30 at 7 PM.

You can count me in the camp that says that the 11 AM start is a bad idea.

Moving it to 3 or even to 7 was not an option. The BTN has like 4 games in a row that day, so they'd either have to not televise it, or swap start times with one of the other games, which they would never do. You bring up a valid point though. Is there any good reason they couldn't simply play it Tuesday night instead?

Tix for Tots

What a better way to get the home court advantage back by having thousands of screaming kids in The Barn.

If you can't make it to the game, take the late year tax deduction and give your tickets to Tix for Tots.

Ridiculous

Our three seats will be empty, as work comes first.

I agree with selection and from the barn - this is a very, very poor decision.

borninthebarn: you win as the most screwed Gopher fan. I have a job in which I COULD iforce myself and take the kids I nanny to the game with me....but I just dont see it being feasible for my sanity (I wouldn't even be able to really watch, I'd be there just for the sake of being there)...but I am debating it. BUT to have planned a FLIGHT around this...bummer. I feel for you.

to the students who are psyched or think its easy to just take a day off during the holidays, good for you, you should be psyched! you get to watch both your teams play and not miss any action on NYE. that IS a good thing. however, the majority of fans who attend games are post-college w/ careers/jobs and can't just skip out on work. leaving an hour early to make a 5 tip? yes. taking off 3 hours in the middle of the day? not likely for most. however, good for the students at least, I hope the ones in town fill the place on 12/31 (its not even New Years Eve yet....its New Years Eve morning, which is not a holiday).

I just get the impression that the majority of people disappointed with this move are those that probably wouldn't make an effort to watch the football game anyway. I could be wrong, but it seems like there isn't as much overlap at Minnesota of GOPHER fans in general as there are at lots of schools. It's like you either enjoy football, basketball, or hockey, but they tend to be mutually exclusive.

As a fan of all Gopher sports, I like the move.

Exactly. I got in an argument with From The Barn a week or two ago about whether the football team was even worth watching. FTB pretty much tried to say I wasn't a basketball fan if I would even consider watching a bowl game.

I'm not sure if I completely agree with you about fans not having interest in more than one sport. I have season tickets for football, basketball, and I had hockey tix in college but because of the season ticket waitlist I don't have them now. I consider myself a fan of all the sports and most of my friends do too but everybody seems to have their favorite sport. I know plenty of people that have both football and basketball. I think a lot of times hockey fans tend to be hockey fans in general and the Gophers just happen to be the local team, and a very good local team which generates interest. With the failures of the 70's-90's, Gopher football definitely doesn't benefit from that phenomenon.

No, my point was whether it would be worth watching the football team play in an 8th tier bowl game while sitting in bar because they game isn't on TV anywhere else when people could see the basketball team in person open the Big Ten season against the conference favorite.

It's not right, it's not fair and it is very selfish

This is absurd. Not only do I now have to take a Vacation day to watch the Gopher Home opener against MSU, I now have to go at 11:00 in the morning. The Barn should really be rocking with all those students. Ridiculous. I am sure WCCO radio is ecstatic. Now they get the revenue from broadcasting both games. Hmmm I wonder if they had any input in this decision. And I'm sure Joel Maturi is fine with it. Now he can watch the Gophers from his suite at their Ritz Carlton in Phoenix before heading out to the Insight Bowl festivities. No conflicts for him.

This is the first time in over 20 years of going to Gopher basketball that I have to take a vacation day to attend a game and why? So some of us can watch the Gophers in the awesome (sarcasm) Insight Bowl a bowl, game that I will have to go to a bar watch on New Years Eve. Not my idea of a the perfect evening.

I repeat...It's not right, it's not fair and it is very selfish. JMO

Love the move

Wow, I expected some people to be up set, but not a full-scale landslide against it. I probably wouldn't weigh in on this but will just to illustrate that there are 3 percent of us, rather than 2percent, who appluad the effort of the athletic office.

True, not everybody takes Dec. 31 off, but many do. And it's easier day for most people to take off, since it's during the holiday season. Besides, The Twins play afternoon games all season long, and employed baseball fans find ways to make it to those games. Is 11 a.m. inconvenient? Sure. But when was the last time basketball and football game times were set with fan convenience in mind?

Plus, now we get to watch two important Gopher games instead of one. Thanks, Joel!

I could be wrong, but it seems like there isn't as much overlap at Minnesota of GOPHER fans in general as there are at lots of schools. It's like you either enjoy football, basketball, or hockey, but they tend to be mutually exclusive.

I agree with this. It is a facet of Gopher athletics that I've never fully understood. We have the Goal Line Club for football, the Golden Dunkers for men's basketball, the Fast Break Club for women's basketball, the Blue Line Club for hockey, etc. It almost forces fans to specialize. Places like Wisconsin and Iowa have ONE booster club that supports ALL major sports. Those schools have official lunches and dinners and banquets that feature multiple coaches from multiple sports. Not here. We have to draw a line of separation as to not offend anyone.

And, it is clearly apparent that those most offended by the time change are those that have no interest in Gopher football. And, that's fine. I understand that they are negatively impacted by this. But, I also think this would only happen at a place like here, where it seems fans are specialized by sport. FTB has already shown a disdain for MN football and SS is an MSU football fan. Not a knock on either, to each his own. But, obviously if you're only a Gopher hoops fan, then this is no good for you. But, for Gopher fans who don't specialize, this should be good news.

Hates Monikers,

I almost completely disagree with you. Here's why:

-- Yes there are people who take NYE off. But there are certainly more people who have to work. Compounding this is that at many workplaces, the schedules around the holidays are set quite a ways in advance so people can make travel arrangements. For example, I'm working on NYE and Jan. 2 because I am taking some time off around Christmas. To move this game three weeks in advance is really unfair to fans. This might be an easier day to take off if you know in September about the game time. At this point, flexibility for many people is long gone.

-- To the people who say, 'just take a vacation day,' it probably isn't quite that easy. As I said above, many places have their work schedules set in advance and taking the day off isn't really an option at this point. In addition, there are many workplaces that have calendar year vacation policies. I would venture to guess that there are people who have tickets to this game who don't have any '08 vacation remaining.

-- I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make it. A 5 p.m. game would have been fine. I could have left work at 4 or even 4:15 and made it without a problem. A three-hour lunch is going to be more of a challenge. It could end up having to be a game-time decision and I don't want that.

-- To compare this to the Twins is laughable. The Twins play 81 home games, the games are scheduled far in advance and afternoon during the week games have the smallest attendance. If you have season tickets, you either work your schedule around it months in advance, you take a client or you give the tickets away.

-- If the Gophers wanted to move this game, they should have found a better time. The night of the 30th would have been a possibility or the night of the 1st, long after Michigan State's bowl game ended.

Wow, I expected some people to be up set, but not a full-scale landslide against it. I probably wouldn't weigh in on this but will just to illustrate that there are 3 percent of us, rather than 2percent, who appluad the effort of the athletic office.

True, not everybody takes Dec. 31 off, but many do. And it's easier day for most people to take off, since it's during the holiday season. Besides, The Twins play afternoon games all season long, and employed baseball fans find ways to make it to those games. Is 11 a.m. inconvenient? Sure. But when was the last time basketball and football game times were set with fan convenience in mind?

Plus, now we get to watch two important Gopher games instead of one. Thanks, Joel!

Except the vast majority of people do work on NYE. It is also possible to be a fan of the football team and acknowledge that this bowl game is on par or slightly below the basketball team making it to the NIT.

For the record

When they announced the time switch at the game last night, you could clearly hear some boos, but not overwhelmingly so. The boos were sorta' reflective of this board, some clearly upset like myself (I hooted a little bit) but the boos weren't so loud that there was an overly negative reaction to it. I'll call it a draw and move forward.

The problem with this...

When someone can't go to a game what do they usually do? Find someone who can go and sell them or give them the tickets. I am sure the Barn will be full. I know I am gonna try and get 2-3 tickets now that I can go to the game and then go to a Bowl/NYE Party. While not as convenient for some "where there's a will there's a way" and I'm sure most of you will somehow make it to the Barn. If not maybe you can give them to a charity and use them as a late year tax write-off.

The home schedule this season is pathetic. Give away one of the best home games?

Ugh.

Does anyone know if a local station will be able to pick up this the game? Like ESPN allows for Sun/Mon nite games?

Hates Monikers,

I almost completely disagree with you. Here's why:

-- Yes there are people who take NYE off. But there are certainly more people who have to work. Compounding this is that at many workplaces, the schedules around the holidays are set quite a ways in advance so people can make travel arrangements. For example, I'm working on NYE and Jan. 2 because I am taking some time off around Christmas. To move this game three weeks in advance is really unfair to fans. This might be an easier day to take off if you know in September about the game time. At this point, flexibility for many people is long gone.

-- To the people who say, 'just take a vacation day,' it probably isn't quite that easy. As I said above, many places have their work schedules set in advance and taking the day off isn't really an option at this point. In addition, there are many workplaces that have calendar year vacation policies. I would venture to guess that there are people who have tickets to this game who don't have any '08 vacation remaining.

-- I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make it. A 5 p.m. game would have been fine. I could have left work at 4 or even 4:15 and made it without a problem. A three-hour lunch is going to be more of a challenge. It could end up having to be a game-time decision and I don't want that.

-- To compare this to the Twins is laughable. The Twins play 81 home games, the games are scheduled far in advance and afternoon during the week games have the smallest attendance. If you have season tickets, you either work your schedule around it months in advance, you take a client or you give the tickets away.

-- If the Gophers wanted to move this game, they should have found a better time. The night of the 30th would have been a possibility or the night of the 1st, long after Michigan State's bowl game ended.

Anonymous, I'm not saying that New Year's Eve is a free day for people. But it's better than a day game on any other Wednesday of the year. TV seems to think so, with three bowl games begining at 3:30 or earlier on NYE (not an apples-to-apples comparison, I know, but TV wants viewers). And about day baseball games, I wish I had hard evidence that they are well attended but mine is only anecdotal. I have always been surprised at how well teams draw during the day, and I have been part of several big crowds at the Metrodome on Thursday afternoons.

I realize that some of the people who originally planned to go to the BB game will not be able to. But I still expect a good crowd at the Barn for the game.

I agree with this. It is a facet of Gopher athletics that I've never fully understood. We have the Goal Line Club for football, the Golden Dunkers for men's basketball, the Fast Break Club for women's basketball, the Blue Line Club for hockey, etc. It almost forces fans to specialize. Places like Wisconsin and Iowa have ONE booster club that supports ALL major sports. Those schools have official lunches and dinners and banquets that feature multiple coaches from multiple sports. Not here. We have to draw a line of separation as to not offend anyone.

And, it is clearly apparent that those most offended by the time change are those that have no interest in Gopher football. And, that's fine. I understand that they are negatively impacted by this. But, I also think this would only happen at a place like here, where it seems fans are specialized by sport. FTB has already shown a disdain for MN football and SS is an MSU football fan. Not a knock on either, to each his own. But, obviously if you're only a Gopher hoops fan, then this is no good for you. But, for Gopher fans who don't specialize, this should be good news.

Not true.

Except the vast majority of people do work on NYE. It is also possible to be a fan of the football team and acknowledge that this bowl game is on par or slightly below the basketball team making it to the NIT.

I'm not sure 67% is a "vast majority" but your hyperbole is noted.

Does anyone know if a local station will be able to pick up this the game? Like ESPN allows for Sun/Mon nite games?

I believe the NFL requires OTA broadcast in the home markets (pending blackout rules). I don't believe ESPN has a choice.

My two cents (Long)

Since everyone is weighing in on this topic, I’ll add this:

I like the change, admittedly in large part because it works out better for me. But I also think it makes sense for the University, and its broadcast partners, to not have the two games compete for viewers. I have season tickets for both basketball and football and am not going to Tempe. I didn’t like having to choose either A) watching the football game on TV and missing all or most of the Big Ten opener against Michigan State or B) attending the basketball game and missing the last Gopher football game for eight months. For season ticket holders, we all bought the tickets without knowing the schedule and the game times are always subject to change, it’s even printed on the back of your ticket. Every year, I have anywhere from 4-8 games that just don’t work out for me to attend. Sometimes I know a date won’t work when the schedule comes out, other times some work or family matter arises the day of the game. I hate it when that happens for a highly anticipated game like MSU, but sometime it does. I give the tickets away, sell them or donate them to charity. I don’t always like it, but that’s the way it works.

This, or any, change had to work for the U, MSU and the BTN. Changing the date to th 30th was probably not an option since it would have required Michigan State to change travel plans. Whether the game is at 11:00 or 5:00, they will still come the 30th and leave on the 31st.

I certainly don’t blame anyone adversely affected by the change for being ticked off, as I would be in their shoes. But the earlier time will work better for some people, just as it makes it harder for others. Ultimately, whether we have more or less of a home court advantage is up to those of us with tickets who show up. No reason your seats should sit empty. If you seriously don’t know anyone who could use your tickets, donate them or post it here and I’ll bet you find some takers.

Last thought, while the timing could be better, perhaps the marketing folks at the U should come up with a viewing party for the Insight Bowl to provide an opportunity for those who don’t have the NFL Network, and don’t want to go to a bar, to see the game. Suggest that people come to the basketball game (many good seats available!!) and stay for the party to watch the football team. This would obviously would be a long day and wouldn’t work for a lot of people, but it also might entice a few more people to attend the hoops game.

As is yours about "many" people not working that day.

You want to argue semantics? Where do I say "many?" If you go back and look at my posts, I NEVER say "many!" I say "quite a few." You, on the other hand, say "vast majority" and I quoted you as such.

I would argue that the connotation of "quite a few" means fewer people than that of "many," but that really is opinion. Regardless, my comment was not based on any factual information but rather anecdotal evidence, which does not make the comment irrational. Your comment of "vast majority" was based on statistics and did not fit the data.

Please tip your waitresses.

2nd Degree Gopher - Best Post of the Thread

Very well stated and offers solutions (rather than more gripes) for what is a seriously messed up scheduling situation (for both the basketball team AND the football team). I especially like the suggestion to the Marketing Dept -- hope they are reading this thread.

And to ensure that the Barn is as full as possible for it's first Big Ten game of the season, I hope people who absolutely can't make the game (but have tickets available) do one of three things:

1) Give them away as stocking stuffers to a friend or co-worker who WILL use them to attend the game.

2) Donate the them to Tix for Tots (another seasonal option that is good for the soul and I believe I read TAX DEDUCTIBLE).

3) Post them on this board for others to purchase (or use for free if it comes to that).

At this point, while many are clearly disappointed (especially those who are traveling into town just to see the game--those are the folks who REALLY got screwed), in the grand scheme of things, it's just a game and not like losing (take your pick):

a. Your job
b. Your home
c. Your significant other(s)
d. Your life

Happy Holidays and Go Gophers.

Thats where I am, and it would be entirely different if I didn't need to be camped out in a bar for 4 hours on new years eve to watch the bowl game.

For season ticket holders, we all bought the tickets without knowing the schedule and the game times are always subject to change, it’s even printed on the back of your ticket. Every year, I have anywhere from 4-8 games that just don’t work out for me to attend. Sometimes I know a date won’t work when the schedule comes out, other times some work or family matter arises the day of the game...2nd Degree Gopher

You are correct that we do not know in advance when the Gopher Basketball and Football games will be played. However we do know that we rarely if ever have to arrange a vacation day at the "last minute" in order to attend these games.

We have always been able to assume the games would not be played between the hours of 8 and 5 on traditional work days. I will submit New Years Eve remains a traditional work day for most Americans.

I doubt many people that normally works weekends buys either Football or Basketball tickets.

Excellent post, Drex!

Very well stated and offers solutions (rather than more gripes) for what is a seriously messed up scheduling situation (for both the basketball team AND the football team). I especially like the suggestion to the Marketing Dept -- hope they are reading this thread.

And to ensure that the Barn is as full as possible for it's first Big Ten game of the season, I hope people who absolutely can't make the game (but have tickets available) do one of three things:

1) Give them away as stocking stuffers to a friend or co-worker who WILL use them to attend the game.

2) Donate the them to Tix for Tots (another seasonal option that is good for the soul and I believe I read TAX DEDUCTIBLE).

3) Post them on this board for others to purchase (or use for free if it comes to that).

At this point, while many are clearly disappointed (especially those who are traveling into town just to see the game--those are the folks who REALLY got screwed), in the grand scheme of things, it's just a game and not like losing (take your pick):

a. Your job
b. Your home
c. Your significant other(s)
d. Your life

Happy Holidays and Go Gophers.

What's done is done. Happy or not with the decision, it's time to move forward - either you attend the game or give away/sell your tickets.

I guess the thing I do like about this thread, is for the first time this season (or for longer than that) it seems like people really care. People are fighting and upset that they may not be able to go to this game. I think we were too apathetic a few years ago to really worry about missing one home game. That's a good sign, our program is going in the right directions. It's when we're not arguing and debating that we have to worry!

So, you're interested in Gopher football. Just not interested in watching this particular bowl game. As I said, that's fine. Personally, I'm happy I can do both.

Again, not true.

Work prevents us from attending the bb game, one of the best games of the year.

Time change allows for viewing of the bowl game, now.

High paid folks struggle with scheduling......

So glad you are happy.

Top Bottom