Michigan St. Tuesday

I think in the next 5 years streaming and pay per view will be a norm as more and more people cut cable and switch to streaming.

I keep cable right now because between Xfinity and Verizon, I get a bunch of the streaming apps for free.
Personally, I can't afford the $100+ monthly fee for even basic cable. I have MLB.com (for the Twins), Netflix, CCAA Network (Division 2 network out here in Ca. for Division 2 hoops) and Big 10+. That's already 4 different subscriptions "about $60 in fees" to keep track of :(. I drop the last 2 at the end of basketball season. Certainly don't want to add more. I don't even have time to watch all the baseball and Netflix shows I'm interested in. You would think there are enough Big Ten sports fans for BTN to offer a package like MLB.com for $25 a month.

(Old Timers Rant coming) I know it's not as lucrative, but if you really care about your fans spread around the country, you come up with some type of 1-stop shopping solution. But I know it's not really about we fans, it's about money.

I think in the next 5 years streaming and pay per view will be a norm as more and more people cut cable and switch to streaming.

I keep cable right now because between Xfinity and Verizon, I get a bunch of the streaming apps for free.
Xfinity continues to make sense for me, but it's not cheap. I'm a film buff, and there are lots of good movie options. My wife is a gymnastics junkie, so she likes the SEC channel. I suppose things will continue to evolve, but what I don't like about having to find shit on streaming services is the inconvenience. With cable, you just voice search for what you want, and it comes up. Don't degrade my life, world.

I remember back in the 90's and the Midwest Sports Channel was where all Gopher games were. Also North Star Playoff road games were on TV (Channel 9) and home games were on pay per view or MSC if I remember correctly. I remember I had to listen to all road North State playoffs on the radio.

Seems were going backwards at times.

However, I was able to watch over 25 basketball games this weekend and couldn't watch the Gophers/Badgers hockey. Seems that hockey truly is a niche sport.

A lot will need to shake out as most streaming services (peacock, paramount, etc) are money pits. The aggregators like Hulu and Netflix are, but the rest are hurting. https://movieweb.com/is-streaming-actually-profitable/#:~:text=According to IndieWire, Netflix and,by the end of 2022

Also YTTV is profitable, I think.

Last edited:

If we want to win we need to raise the FG % above 67%, raise the FT% above 75% and widen the TO gap so it is in our favor (We take more TO and make fewer TO) .
You think we should be 67% or higher on field goals? You realize that stat includes threes, right?

You say potatoe and I say potato.

You can take the boy out of Douglas County, but you can’t take Douglas County out of the boy.

You sound like one of “those city smart asses”

Get you to dig a few fence posts and we’ll adjust that attitude right quick😉
And some say spuds.

If we want to win we need to raise the FG % above 67%, raise the FT% above 75% and widen the TO gap so it is in our favor (We take more TO and make fewer TO) .
67% for field goals? No team in the country shoots that well. The top in the country is right around 50%. Our TO margin and FT% definitely need work.

Edit: I actually just checked and MN is 39th in the country for FG% and third in the Big Ten behind Purdue and Indiana. The issue is not our shooting. In losses it has been the number of empty possessions we have, TOs where we don't even get a shot that also often results in an easy shot for the other team. In our win's we have limited TOs which has made a huge difference.

Last edited:

Of course they can. They can have multiple feeds going at all times should they choose to do so. They don't, and won't, because putting them on channels like Peacock create new revenue streams.
Yes. And, let’s be realistic. It is all about the money!

I've posted stats before in other threads showing that the % of people watching cable TV keeps dropping and the % of people watching some type of streaming service keeps rising.
but a lot of people who follow the industry expect that some of the current streaming services will not survive the eventual shakedown.

as of 2022, Netflix and Hulu were the only two major streaming services that turned a profit. that is why most of the streamers have begun offering ad-supported plans - because a lower-priced plan with ads can actually be more profitable than a higher-priced plan without ads.

but as far as the traditional cable tv model, it's heading down the road to extinction. sooner or later, it will join the Dodo bird, VHS, Betamax, Laser Discs and 8-track tapes in the wastebasket of history.

Yes. And, let’s be realistic. It is all about the money!
With due respect to Gordon Gekko, greed is NOT good. As Maxy says above, we've gone backward in a lot of ways, which is obviously not in the customer's interest.

Going into the Michigan St. game tomorrow, I just have to comment to the group about how the media "experts" saw the Pre-season Big Ten vs. Reality half way through the season.

The BTN Media pre season poll:
1. Purdue
2. Michigan St.
3. Maryland
4. Illinois
5. Wisconsin
6. Indiana
7. Ohio St.
8. Northwestern
9. Iowa
10. Rutgers
11. Michigan
12. Nebraska
13. Penn St.
14. Minnesota

Player of the Year: Edey (27), Tyson Walker (1)
Freshman of the Year: MgBako-Ind (19)
Transfer of the Year: Ace Baldwin-PSU (14), Nkamhoua-Mich (6), Battle-OSU (4), Ware-Ind/Storr-Wis (2)

Current standings:
1. Purdue 10-2
2. Illinois 8-3
Wisconsin 8-3
4. Northwestern 6-5
Michigan St. 6-5
6. Minnesota 5-5
Nebraska 6-6
8. Indiana 5-6
Maryland 5-6
Penn St. 5-6
Iowa 5-6
12. Rutgers 3-7
13. Ohio St.
14. Michigan 2-9

So the media experts were able to nail one of the top 3 teams in the conference, three of the next 8, and zero of the bottom 3. Admittedly, there is still a long way to go.
POY likely will be Edey repeat, but that'll take a deeper dive into the numbers/value to a team.
Freshman of the Year will not be Mgbako, and will very likely be unmentioned Owen Freeman-Iowa.
Transfer of the Year likely won't be Baldwin, Battle, Nkmhoua. Would have been nice to see Hawkins-MN get some love early, but he is proving he belongs in the conversation with Storr-Wis, Ware-Ind, Langborg-NW, Domask-Ill, Mast-Neb.

Bottom line is that nobody knows how new players will play and gel under coaching every year. Thinking a team will be great doesn't mean they will be, and vice versa MN fans. Obviously CBJ knew what he wanted on and off the floor from his additions, and has coached effectively. MN has five guys on the floor who can ALL defend (it only takes one guy not defending to blow up a possession). We have 5 guys on roster that can shoot 3's on any given night. Hawkins is having his best year as a junior. The only surprises thus far for MN is the contribution of Fox on both ends of the floor, and Christie earning minutes being a better shooter than expected.

67% for field goals? No team in the country shoots that well. The top in the country is right around 50%. Our TO margin and FT% definitely need work.

Edit: I actually just checked and MN is 39th in the country for FG% and third in the Big Ten behind Purdue and Indiana. The issue is not our shooting. In losses it has been the number of empty possessions we have, TOs where we don't even get a shot that also often results in an easy shot for the other team. In our win's we have limited TOs which has made a huge difference.
Yeah he had a bizarre take that implied we needed to shoot some crazy FG% AND shoot better FT%. Naturally when we shot well (23-26, 16-21) we won the close games instead of losing like we did to the Skunks (5-13 FT shooting). Absolutely agree that we need to shoot well from the FT line, but have no clue where this outlandish FG% argument came from.

Going into the Michigan St. game tomorrow, I just have to comment to the group about how the media "experts" saw the Pre-season Big Ten vs. Reality half way through the season.

1. Purdue
2. Michigan St.
3. Maryland
4. Illinois
5. Wisconsin
6. Indiana
7. Ohio St.
8. Northwestern
9. Iowa
10. Rutgers
11. Michigan
12. Nebraska
13. Penn St.
14. Minnesota

Transfer of the Year: Ace Baldwin-PSU (14), Nkamhoua-Mich (6), Battle-OSU (4), Ware-Ind/Storr-Wis (2)

Current standings:
1. Purdue 10-2
2. Illinois 8-3
Wisconsin 8-3
4. Northwestern 6-5
Michigan St. 6-5
6. Minnesota 5-5
Nebraska 6-6
8. Indiana 5-6
Maryland 5-6
Penn St. 5-6
Iowa 5-6
12. Rutgers 3-7
13. Ohio St.
14. Michigan 2-9

So the media experts were able to nail one of the top 3 teams in the conference, three of the next 8, and zero of the bottom 3. Admittedly, there is still a long way to go.
POY likely will be Edey repeat, but that'll take a deeper dive into the numbers/value to a team.
Freshman of the Year will not be Mgbako, and will very likely be unmentioned Owen Freeman-Iowa.
Transfer of the Year likely won't be Baldwin, Battle, Nkmhoua. Would have been nice to see Hawkins-MN get some love early, but he is proving he belongs in the conversation with Storr-Wis, Ware-Ind, Langborg-NW, Domask-Ill, Mast-Neb.

Bottom line is that nobody knows how new players will play and gel under coaching every year. Thinking a team will be great doesn't mean they will be, and vice versa MN fans. Obviously CBJ knew what he wanted on and off the floor from his additions, and has coached effectively. MN has five guys on the floor who can ALL defend (it only takes one guy not defending to blow up a possession). We have 5 guys on roster that can shoot 3's on any given night. Hawkins is having his best year as a junior. The only surprises thus far for MN is the contribution of Fox on both ends of the floor, and Christie earning minutes being a better shooter than expected.
The season isn't over yet. And the media almost always make a few really big mistakes. The prediction racket is getting much harder with rapid roster turnover. I'm glad the Gophers are over performing so far, but I'm not ready to take a victory lap on the media just yet.

Xfinity continues to make sense for me, but it's not cheap. I'm a film buff, and there are lots of good movie options. My wife is a gymnastics junkie, so she likes the SEC channel. I suppose things will continue to evolve, but what I don't like about having to find shit on streaming services is the inconvenience. With cable, you just voice search for what you want, and it comes up. Don't degrade my life, world.
Agree . Xfinity gives me all the sports channels , even got the ACCN last season, and with the premium package I have multiple viewing options.

You say potatoe and I say potato.

You can take the boy out of Douglas County, but you can’t take Douglas County out of the boy.

You sound like one of “those city smart asses”

Get you to dig a few fence posts and we’ll adjust that attitude right quick😉
life is relative-- us Grant County residents used to think the Alexandria (Douglas County) people were the "city smart asses".. The Holmes City people, not so much

then when I went to college, my friend from Grafton ND taught me that potato or potatoe, either way it meant cash to them, selling all of their taters to Frito Lay

we want to win we need to raise the FG % above 67%, raise the FT% above 75% and widen the TO gap so it is in our favor (We take more TO and make fewer TO) .
We playing an NBA team tomorrow?

With due respect to Gordon Gekko, greed is NOT good. As Maxy says above, we've gone backward in a lot of ways, which is obviously not in the customer's interest.
‘Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers.’ Wordsworth

life is relative-- us Grant County residents used to think the Alexandria (Douglas County) people were the "city smart asses".. The Holmes City people, not so much

then when I went to college, my friend from Grafton ND taught me that potato or potatoe, either way it meant cash to them, selling all of their taters to Frito Lay
So am I dealing with Elbow Lake, Barrett or Ashby jealousy?

Understand me, I am not advocating FOR it, I am just telling it like it is. College sports has become more and more about the money. The reason the B1G expanded at all, and now to 18, is because of the money from BTN.

So am I dealing with Elbow Lake, Barrett or Ashby jealousy?
you made my point-- completely forgetting about Hoffman. lol
I always considered Barrett to be a suburb of Hoffman- but when they moved the high school there, the economics of the small towns changed

1. Purdue
2. Michigan St.
3. Maryland
4. Illinois
5. Wisconsin
6. Indiana
7. Ohio St.
8. Northwestern
9. Iowa
10. Rutgers
11. Michigan
12. Nebraska
13. Penn St.
14. Minnesota

Current standings:
1. Purdue 10-2
2. Illinois 8-3
Wisconsin 8-3
4. Northwestern 6-5
Michigan St. 6-5
6. Minnesota 5-5
Nebraska 6-6
8. Indiana 5-6
Maryland 5-6
Penn St. 5-6
Iowa 5-6
12. Rutgers 3-7
13. Ohio St.
14. Michigan 2-9

Good stuff! To be fair, it's very tough to know when a team will pull off a significant turnaround. I'm sure that Northwestern (#2 in the conference last season) didn't get many high place votes in last year's preseason media poll after 5 straight losing seasons.

I watched Iowa in their opener against North Dakota and you could tell that Freeman was going to be a good player so I'm not at all surprised by what he has done. I had never heard of him before that game but he made a definite impression. When you're not a star for an elite metro program or an elite national prep, it's sometimes hard to get the recognition in high school. He also committed early so players often are ignored after that.

Last edited:

More than likely. It's also going to be weird when B1G games start at 10:00 and 10:30 ET. I can envision Tuesday and Wednesday nights with games starting at 6:30, 8:30, and 10:30 ET. Hoping we only make one west coast trip per season. As an example play UW on a Wednesday then play Oregon on a Saturday.
Why "Wednesday" and Saturday? Why not Thursday and Saturday? Wednesday makes it a long trip with plenty of dead time, it's only about an hour flight from Seattle to Eugene.

Higher FG% = fewer empty possessions.

Hopefully the crowds keep getting bigger. Should be for MSU
Given the amount of ticket inventory left, I think 10,000 is realistic tonight but not much beyond that.

At $38 for bench and $78 for chairback (minimum) I think the Athletic Dept could have done a better job of judging the market.

Given the amount of ticket inventory left, I think 10,000 is realistic tonight but not much beyond that.

At $38 for bench and $78 for chairback (minimum) I think the Athletic Dept could have done a better job of judging the market.
Yeah, where I got my tix for tonight is bench seating, the next row is actual seats and the price went from $50 to $90. I'll spend the $40 on consessions and rough it on the bench seat.

Yeah, where I got my tix for tonight is bench seating, the next row is actual seats and the price went from $50 to $90. I'll spend the $40 on consessions and rough it on the bench seat.
I did the same thing on Saturday. At half we eyed seat backs that had no ticket and we sat there the rest of the game. $27 tickets for the 1st half and $70 tickets for half number 2.

Top Bottom