Maybe we all just need to calm down

That is such an unfair take on the last two years, and I think you know it. The year that stunk was the year where he had the best roster and lost most of his starting lineup. If he has reasonable luck that year he would have been over .500 for the two years and actually over .500 for the last three years with 3 straight NCAA appearances. Historic for this program. Good enough? No. But he has showed signs of breaking us out of the LONG drought this program has been in.
You have stated this same story as fact multiple times. It’s what you hoped would have happened. No matter how many times you post it still doesn’t make it true.

You have stated this same story as fact multiple times. It’s what you hoped would have happened. No matter how many times you post it still doesn’t make it true.
Oh, I get that we had a bad season after that. But that kind of a thing has zero to do whether your coach is good or bad. ADs don't get mad and cry because the coach had a bad season. They determine what the bad season had to do with the coach and what the direction of things are going forward. We have been to the NCAAs 2 of 3 years, and it should be 3 in a row with any luck. That's the way I see it. You see it as glass half empty. That's your choice.

Not faulty at all. They lost to a tough Miami team at home in a tough game. They then opened the big 10 season at Rutgers and won. They then lost to a weak Nebraska team on the road. They looked gross. Then followed that up with a one point home win with Drake 68-67.That was hard to understand. Drake was friggin brutal.They then beat Florida Atlantic by 14 and Harvard by 10. The Harvard game was close all the way with free throws pulling away at the end. This whole board was wondering what the hell was going on with them.

This is the most ridiculous shit I've read on here. Wins are wins. Just like they were for our football Gophers in the non-conference this year. I can't actually believe you're using 14 and 10-point wins to prove a point about the team being bad before we lost everyone.

You're a sad person. I hope you get no joy out of the rest of the season - which means we will be winning a lot.

Oh, I get that we had a bad season after that. But that kind of a thing has zero to do whether your coach is good or bad. ADs don't get mad and cry because the coach had a bad season. They determine what the bad season had to do with the coach and what the direction of things are going forward. We have been to the NCAAs 2 of 3 years, and it should be 3 in a row with any luck. That's the way I see it. You see it as glass half empty. That's your choice.
AD's look at the full body of work on and off the court. They look at win loss records, conference records, tourney records, championships, attendance, gifts from donors and of course, who can they get and at what cost. Fans have a chance to decide for themselves. Just for me but i do not care about if, could have or maybe.

If you wanted Brewster gone, you wanted the gophers to lose.
I wanted him gone because he was losing the program was in shambles with no hope for the future. I don't see the same gloom with Pitino yet. He was admittedly awful in his first decisions and that hurt him. He has since adjusted and has a better staff. Had that not changed I'd be all for a new direction. I see his teams defending better and I think their I see a more pointed and plan with who we are recruiting. I'm willing to see this play out

Brewster took care of the losing himself, you really comparing pitino to brewster? :unsure:

Yes, I've wanted Pitino gone, so I'm cheering for the gophers to lose.

You wanted Brewster gone, and you were cheering for the gophers to win.

I'm just posting the massive hypocrisy here.

Don't let it get in your head.

You all wanted Monson gone, and he's got a better big 10 winning percent than Pitino. Again, you were all cheering for the gophers to lose.

This is the most ridiculous shit I've read on here. Wins are wins. Just like they were for our football Gophers in the non-conference this year. I can't actually believe you're using 14 and 10-point wins to prove a point about the team being bad before we lost everyone.

You're a sad person. I hope you get no joy out of the rest of the season - which means we will be winning a lot.

And losses are losses, but they shouldn't really count due to bad luck. Some of you are unbelievable.

Yes, I've wanted Pitino gone, so I'm cheering for the gophers to lose.

You wanted Brewster gone, and you were cheering for the gophers to win.

I'm just posting the massive hypocrisy here.

Don't let it get in your head.

You all wanted Monson gone, and he's got a better big 10 winning percent than Pitino. Again, you were all cheering for the gophers to lose.
Plenty of ADs have required more than just wins for a coach to keep their job. In CBB it’s never in the best interest to lose or tank. Your issue lies with Mark Coyles decision to keep him. Cheering for a team to lose is still crazy. If Brewster or Monson or any other former coach showed life/growth after a couple years then I’m in. The program is honestly trending upward right now in results (not hard after the abysmal start to the regime) and in recruiting.

There is a large divide on this board about “success”, as Built has pointed out, probably others too.

IMO, success needs to be considered relative to the recent past. I also think success is defined by the trajectory of the program. The bar for a coach should never be lowered mid tenure, but it can certainly be raised from year to year. IMO the bar when Pitino got here was so extremely low (because of the composition of the roster he inherited.... there was no freshman or sophomore class when he stepped foot on campus. woof). It’s risen since then, but we are not at the ceiling yet.

I also place a ton more personal value on the NCAA tournament than where we fall in the conference schedule. I do that because 1) having a team to root for in March madness is the single best sports moment of my year. 2) i think consistent appearances in the tournament is where you grow your brand with people not paying attention to the big ten. ESPN doesn’t give air time to teams who aren’t on the ultimate stage.

With that said - I think 3/4 years with tournament appearances is a big success (yes, with the huge asterisk that the missing year was Pitino’s most highly ranked team). For a while, this program was in rough shape. I also think Pitino has some weird magic where the arrow is always pointing up for the next year (ive been all in on this season since April). That hasn’t always come to fruition, but I’ve always been excited entering the year. At some point, he’ll lose his job if he can’t get off the bubble he’s been on since he got here... but so far he’s landed on the right side and given me a chance to root for the gophers in the big dance.

My bar for him continues to be elevated. If Oturu stays, there will be an expectation in conference play.

okay, back to enjoying and appreciating the two dominate all big ten players we currently have.

There is a large divide on this board about “success”, as Built has pointed out, probably others too.

IMO, success needs to be considered relative to the recent past. I also think success is defined by the trajectory of the program. The bar for a coach should never be lowered mid tenure, but it can certainly be raised from year to year. IMO the bar when Pitino got here was so extremely low (because of the composition of the roster he inherited.... there was no freshman or sophomore class when he stepped foot on campus. woof). It’s risen since then, but we are not at the ceiling yet.

I also place a ton more personal value on the NCAA tournament than where we fall in the conference schedule. I do that because 1) having a team to root for in March madness is the single best sports moment of my year. 2) i think consistent appearances in the tournament is where you grow your brand with people not paying attention to the big ten. ESPN doesn’t give air time to teams who aren’t on the ultimate stage.

With that said - I think 3/4 years with tournament appearances is a big success (yes, with the huge asterisk that the missing year was Pitino’s most highly ranked team). For a while, this program was in rough shape. I also think Pitino has some weird magic where the arrow is always pointing up for the next year (ive been all in on this season since April). That hasn’t always come to fruition, but I’ve always been excited entering the year. At some point, he’ll lose his job if he can’t get off the bubble he’s been on since he got here... but so far he’s landed on the right side and given me a chance to root for the gophers in the big dance.

My bar for him continues to be elevated. If Oturu stays, there will be an expectation in conference play.

okay, back to enjoying and appreciating the two dominate all big ten players we currently have.
Nice post. I do think it can be considered against the past success of the program or lack of but i prefer to measure it against really big success attained elsewhere, especially other power 6 schools that were nothing more than mediocre for more than a generation. Great explanation on what your needs are for the team. Getting to the tourney is a huge priority for you. Mine is winning the conference for season long success and also takes care of the tournament. Amazing what happens when people simply post their opinion instead of attacking someone .

Nice post. I do think it can be considered against the past success of the program or lack of but i prefer to measure it against really big success attained elsewhere, especially other power 6 schools that were nothing more than mediocre for more than a generation. Great explanation on what your needs are for the team. Getting to the tourney is a huge priority for you. Mine is winning the conference for season long success and also takes care of the tournament. Amazing what happens when people simply post their opinion instead of attacking someone .
Good post. I think as bc said, that it is a progression. Once you start getting to the tournament with some frequency, then you can expect that the coach will be able to parlay that into better runs in the conference. If Oturu were here next year (which I now highly doubt) I would expect a top 3 or 4 finish next year. Without him I think that the program is still in better shape than in the past and the team will be still be solid. If there is stability where the state starts expect that Pitino is the guy long term- then more local guys are going to join. The coach is getting better at his job, there is still plenty of room for growth but we are going in the right direction.

The kids that are in the program now are guys that I expect will be long term ambassadors for the Gophers and building that culture is huge. One good experience leads to another.

...... For those that would rather lose 80-75 than win 50-49 they are entitled to as the entertainment factor is high. But to me, playing sound, winning games is fine art.

Each of those games has one winner and one loser. If I could choose which game I wanted to watch & win it would be the 80-75 game. If I could choose which game I would want to watch & lose it would the same one.

Badger basketball is like triple option football, it's OK if you win & boring if you lose. It's interesting in small doses.

College basketball and football need to be entertaining for me to sustain interest.

Each of those games has one winner and one loser. If I could choose which game I wanted to watch & win it would be the 80-75 game. If I could choose which game I would want to watch & lose it would the same one.

Badger basketball is like triple option football, it's OK if you win & boring if you lose. It's interesting in small doses.

College basketball and football need to be entertaining for me to sustain interest.

It's amazing you've stayed a gopher fan over the years with that criteria. There have been multiple, multiple years where they didn't win much and weren't entertaining either. That goes for football and basketball.

And yes, the badgers are boring as hell in both sports. Their hoops teams want me to play in traffic. Their football team has lost 4 straight rose bowls, and gets killed in the Big 10 championship yearly. They have that roid thing with the offensive line though, so it gets them some west titles.

Last edited:

To each their own, i like teams that are efficient and that win, that play great defense. If a big part of the game is scoring points, then stopping the other team from scoring is at least as important. If we had done what UW has done for over twenty years in both sports we would be sold out and statues erected for coaches. Winning sells.

My favorite part of this season is going to be watching you slink back into your dark hole as it becomes more and more clear we are headed to the tourney again. You must be really clenching your teeth hoping your dream of us collapsing over these next 6 games comes true. Fun times. That sounds like a lovely hobby.
This aged well.

You are so right.

Lynch was the result the idiotic internal school politics that run the U.
To be fair, I was in college at the time Lynch was kicked off the team. Everyone my age in the twin cities knew he had a rep for the kind of behavior that got him in trouble. Girls would see him at the bar and immediately feel uncomfortable. If this was news to Pitino, he did a terrible job vetting the player before he transferred.

To be fair, I was in college at the time Lynch was kicked off the team. Everyone my age in the twin cities knew he had a rep for the kind of behavior that got him in trouble. Girls would see him at the bar and immediately feel uncomfortable. If this was news to Pitino, he did a terrible job vetting the player before he transferred.
I can confirm this as well from my time at the U. I think the part that really highlighted how much he didn't get it was when he walked into Blarney at like midnight a month after a ton of that stuff came out. It was like damn dude, you really don't get it, and a ton of people were just kind of like wtf and looking at him. Definitely weird.

I
Have kids at the u. If girls feeling uncomfortable was grounds for expulsion they would need to close down the entire nerdy computer science program, and maybe the accounting program too.

Guilty or not putting a student council in charge of a legal process with no cross examination or other basic rights and presumption of innocence is not a basis for figuring out the truth.

I

Have kids at the u. If girls feeling uncomfortable was grounds for expulsion they would need to close down the entire nerdy computer science program, and maybe the accounting program too.

Guilty or not putting a student council in charge of a legal process with no cross examination or other basic rights and presumption of innocence is not a basis for figuring out the truth.
That may be but recruiting someone with serious red flags that tons of programs knew about for years is a problem.

I

Regardless of what you feel about the student council process, it is pretty irrelevant to the fact that lynch would do things that a representative of the school shouldn’t do, and Pitino got burned by taking a chance on a player with character red flags. That issue occurred because of coach and player judgement, not the school process.

I

If girls feeling uncomfortable was grounds for expulsion they would need to close down the entire nerdy computer science program, and maybe the accounting program too.

You don't know much about accounting. Women do well in that field and have pretty good numbers in it.

You don't know much about accounting. Women do well in that field and have pretty good numbers in it.
Relax, it was a joke on how ackward the stereotypical geeks and bean counters are around women...

BSB Finance/accounting, Carlson School of Management 1992

And, I stand by my comments. If Pitino didn't pull the plug on him and the police looked into it and didnt see anything - it seems like a non issue. Coyle had oversight and there were certainly others that could have stepped in to pull the plug.

They you pull a couple of 20 yo's together with a diversity manager to run a mock trial. LOL what a joke.

Last edited:

AD's look at the full body of work on and off the court. They look at win loss records, conference records, tourney records, championships, attendance, gifts from donors and of course, who can they get and at what cost. Fans have a chance to decide for themselves. Just for me but i do not care about if, could have or maybe.
So what will Coyle do, a badger?

Top Bottom