Maybe we all just need to calm down

Just looked at Virginia's last 20 games. They were 18-2 in those contests. 8 of the 18 wins they scored less than 70.
Generally have to score 4 runs in a major league baseball game, but sometimes you just might have to pitch and field a little too.

Just looked at Virginia's last 20 games. They were 18-2 in those contests. 8 of the 18 wins they scored less than 70.
Generally have to score 4 runs in a major league baseball game, but sometimes you just might have to pitch and field a little too.
Exactly. Also check out our record here in the past 6 years then we give up 75. Scoring more would be nice but holding teams to less is more in your control. It is amazing that they are 74-7 in the last 81 games with a lethal combination of efficiency on both offense and defense. They develop complete players and that is why they put guys in the NBA. Our coaches father raves about how UVA plays.

Richard Pitino does not coach like many of the good coaches. He changes his style each season to adapt to his roster. I have been able to see a method to his emphasis most seasons. I have been patient and supportive.

I have not figured out what the heck we are emphasizing with this team. Our talent in the 7 guys who play is not going to win very many games doing what we do.

We don’t get to the free throw line. We look bad the few times we do. We don’t score on out of bounds plays or out of timeouts. Our transition defense is poor. We give minutes to people who can’t guard people and are not quick enough to improve playing man to man.
I can’t recall a screen to an open 3. A lot of our best shots are scramble situations...loose ball, 2nd shot, ill fated defensive gamble, etc
We don’t earn open looks. Oturu can score. Nobody else has anything you can anticipate being a sure thing...Coffey drive, Coffey all day to shoot 3, Murphy in the lane, Dupre had streaks, Matz had high low passes etc etc
What do we have that suggests we have a basket coming. Most all points are surprises other than Oturu from one night to the next.

Richard Pitino does not coach like many of the good coaches. He changes his style each season to adapt to his roster. I have been able to see a method to his emphasis most seasons. I have been patient and supportive.

I have not figured out what the heck we are emphasizing with this team. Our talent in the 7 guys who play is not going to win very many games doing what we do.

We don’t get to the free throw line. We look bad the few times we do. We don’t score on out of bounds plays or out of timeouts. Our transition defense is poor. We give minutes to people who can’t guard people and are not quick enough to improve playing man to man.
I can’t recall a screen to an open 3. A lot of our best shots are scramble situations...loose ball, 2nd shot, ill fated defensive gamble, etc
We don’t earn open looks. Oturu can score. Nobody else has anything you can anticipate being a sure thing...Coffey drive, Coffey all day to shoot 3, Murphy in the lane, Dupre had streaks, Matz had high low passes etc etc
What do we have that suggests we have a basket coming. Most all points are surprises other than Oturu from one night to the next.

I'd argue the best coaches do this part. What really good ones do not do is allow their defense to be as poor as ours was in the past.

Nights like the one that went down at Iowa happen. They happen to almost everyone. The ball just doesn't go down and you score 50. And you lose.

Then people say things like: No ball motion! Stop forcing up bad shots! No offensive philosophy! Etc.

But if the ball goes down? Love the ball motion! Great shot selection! Pitino's finally on the right track with all these shooters! These are not genuine evaluations. They are post hoc formulations constructed after the ball either went down or not.

But back to the main point. Sometimes the ball just doesn't go down. Look at Wisconsin's loss to New Mexico. Their starting guards went 7-30. Team shot 2-26 from 3. They scored 50. And they lost. Same as us. Same as happens to everyone when you shoot just that poorly. But never fear: eventually you get back on track. Wisconsin's guards went out and shot 13-28. And they beat Indiana. And their message boards rave about ball motion, shot selection, and so on. Same will occur for us.

In summary, calm yourselves.

Like your optimism but I have to disagree. This team is *trash symbol* on all phases of the game besides Oturu playing very well. Without him they may not have won any games so far besides Cleveland State and C. Michigan. They are a few years away from competing again.

Gentlemen, all of the functional dynamics that motivated me to post this message in the first place remain in tact. So here's the deal: when I've sobered up enough to communicate in an articulate manner, then I'll log back in to tell you why all of you were and are wrong. Until then, drink up, enjoy the evening, have ill-advised children and disappoint your wives! ...I'll be back at you with more information pertaining to why you were wrong!

Gentlemen, all of the functional dynamics that motivated me to post this message in the first place remain in tact. So here's the deal: when I've sobered up enough to communicate in an articulate manner, then I'll log back in to tell you why all of you were and are wrong. Until then, drink up, enjoy the evening, have ill-advised children and disappoint your wives! ...I'll be back at you with more information pertaining to why you were wrong!
I like it! I will be looking forward to it. I've enjoyed the banter this past week but have mostly stalked and read rather than posted. I will say though that if Marcus Carr didn't play out of his mind tonight that they don't win. Course, that's the way hoops go...a guy gets hot and you ride him to the victory. On another note I was excited to see some of the young guys (mostly one guy) get some good minutes. They needed that.

This was the one night when I was NOT CALM! Midway through the 2nd half, I looked down, and my hands were shaking. That was about the time the Gophers were starting to tighten up a little and let their 18-point lead get away a little. But man, this was as fun as some of those football games we just lived through.

at Rutgers
at OSU
MSU
at Illinois
Wisconsin
at PSU

I have the feeling this won't be aging well either. I'll be back to discuss to see if this thread has aged well. If we are anywhere near .500 in the big 10 after that, I will be ecstatic.

Last edited:

In summary, you are going to see multiple, multiple, multiple games like that this year.

I'm personally as calm as can be. When you suck, you suck. Why would anyone not be calm? Are there expectations or something?

The barn is going to be extremely calm this year. I'm just trying to stay awake for this year.
Quite the post.....

My wife says this is going to give me an oversized ego. ...But hell with it, she married me that way! I stand by every word.
You're like a prophet in the wilderness. You really ousted all the haters who pronounced the season over after the Iowa game. Heck, you still have jabronis like Goldteam here who want to drag us all down still.

at Rutgers
at OSU
MSU
at Illinois
Wisconsin
at PSU

I have the feeling this won't be aging well either. I'll be back to discuss to see if this thread has aged well. If we are anywhere near .500 in the big 10 after that, I will be ecstatic.
I see at least 4 wins.

You're like a prophet in the wilderness. You really ousted all the haters who pronounced the season over after the Iowa game. Heck, you still have jabronis like Goldteam here who want to drag us all down still.

I just want a new coach. We are 10-7, about to go below .500 in the big 10, and as usual, this place wants a party for that. We are what we are and can't get better, I know.

I just want a new coach. We are 10-7, about to go below .500 in the big 10, and as usual, this place wants a party for that. We are what we are and can't get better, I know.
We are 4-3 in the Big Ten. That kind of bothers you. I personally will be rooting for us to stay above .500 and win a number of these games for the good of the fans and the players. You know, it would be fun. You on the other hand will be hoping we lose so you can get a new coach. I like where I stand.

You can just hear the anxiety building in your voice. "They can't keep winning, can they?!?"

LOVE IT

oh boy :-(

You can just hear the anxiety building in your voice. "They can't keep winning, can they?!?"

LOVE IT

Anxiety about what? I'm not anxious about another average, middle of the road, Richard Pitino team.

Could you expand on my anxiety? Thanks

Anxiety about what? I'm not anxious about another average, middle of the road, Richard Pitino team.

So, essentially you are not a fan of the Gophers or at least you have not been for the better part of 50 years. But maybe before that..........

What do you mean "about to go below .500 in the big 10?"

So you think making the tourney for the 3rd time in 4 years is "middle of the road"? I want to understand your benchmark for what is "middle of the road". If we make the tourney 75% of the seasons going forward, I'm quite happy with that.

So you think making the tourney for the 3rd time in 4 years is "middle of the road"? I want to understand your benchmark for what is "middle of the road". If we make the tourney 75% of the seasons going forward, I'm quite happy with that.

Goldteam did tell us in early December that Pitino should have been fired after last year and he was going to be pissed all year. Apparently, he's still pissed.

Goldteam did tell us in early December that Pitino should have been fired after last year and he was going to be pissed all year. Apparently, he's still pissed.

It must be exhausting. If I remember correctly, he's been whining and cheering for the Gophers to lose for at least the last couple years.

So, essentially you are not a fan of the Gophers or at least you have not been for the better part of 50 years. But maybe before that..........

Well, if you don't care for a year 7 coach, you've hated the franchise for 50 years. Where do you people crawl out from?

It must be exhausting. If I remember correctly, he's been whining and cheering for the Gophers to lose for at least the last couple years.

When you don't care for a coach, yep, you cheer for the team to lose! :banghead:

You shouldn't be exhausted. I don't recall seeing you much the first 10 games.

When you don't care for a coach, yep, you cheer for the team to lose! :banghead:

You're the only one posting negatively and about how you expect us "to be below .500 soon" after we have won 6 of our last 8.

So tell me more about how that is supporting the team?

Well, if you don't care for a year 7 coach, you've hated the franchise for 50 years. Where do you people crawl out from?
We have been mediocre for 50 years. Dutcher won one BT title in 80-81 and Haskins had one in 96-97 that got erased. I have never stopped pulling for them and caring about whether they won or lost during that entire time.

Top Bottom