Maybe we all just need to calm down

We have been mediocre for 50 years. Dutcher won one BT title in 80-81 and Haskins had one in 96-97 that got erased. I have never stopped pulling for them and caring about whether they won or lost during that entire time.

What does that have to do with Pitino? Please expound. Thanks!

Reactions: ltf

You're the only one posting negatively and about how you expect us "to be below .500 soon" after we have won 6 of our last 8.

So tell me more about how that is supporting the team?

You were nowhere to be found at the beginning of the season. You need to support your team better.

We have been mediocre for 50 years. Dutcher won one BT title in 80-81 and Haskins had one in 96-97 that got erased. I have never stopped pulling for them and caring about whether they won or lost during that entire time.

You don't care if they win or lose? OK....LUZ

How do you jump to "bga1 doesn't care if the Gophers win or lose from his post, above? He literally says "I have never stopped pulling for them and caring about whether they won or lost during that whole time."
Goodnight, did you even read what he said before you posted?

You were nowhere to be found at the beginning of the season. You need to support your team better.

I have watched every game - like I do every year. I have attended at least a game - like I do every year despite living out of state. So because I wasn't on a message board trying to rally the anti-Pitino crowd from the start of the season like you, I'm not supporting my team?

It's clear that you're struggling with the current trajectory of the team. I'm sure you were LOVING it in November and December, but after we beat Ohio State and Oklahoma State like that, things sure took a turn for you. I'm dying to see how you frame it if we beat Rutgers on Sunday.

That is not what he said. Plus who are these fans that get to decide who has a Gopher fan card or not. Everyone has a different standard for what they think is great,good, mediocre or terrible. Everyone can decide for themselves. I think making the tourney 75% of the time is pretty good but you have to count every year not just cherry pick 3 in 4. I add points of success for high conference finish, conference winning %, conference titles, tourney success, final 4, national title. If someone else thinks 4th place once is good, i do not attack them. They choose their own standard. I love college hoops ,follow and support 4 programs with great passion, care about sold out crowds, passion, donations and success. That is just me. Some follow one team and deem themselves better fans , some demand excellence, some are always negative, some always positive. But no one gets to declare who is a better fan. I know fans that have never been to a game, never given money ,always support the Gophers, never follow other teams, do not really know they game but not for a second do i think i am a better fan. They admit that we have been below good for a very long time but it is their team. Others watch with a critical eye the actual performance and measure their achievements , praise when it is due and criticize where the results poor.

I have watched every game - like I do every year. I have attended at least a game - like I do every year despite living out of state. So because I wasn't on a message board trying to rally the anti-Pitino crowd from the start of the season like you, I'm not supporting my team?

It's clear that you're struggling with the current trajectory of the team. I'm sure you were LOVING it in November and December, but after we beat Ohio State and Oklahoma State like that, things sure took a turn for you. I'm dying to see how you frame it if we beat Rutgers on Sunday.

You appear to be a great fan.

I attend more than one game a year and rarely miss a game.

I watched what a coach can bring. His name is PJ Fleck.

If we beat Rutgers on Sunday we are a middling, average big 10 team.

The beauty of most of you on this board is you've never wanted a new coach for the gophers in any sport. If you did, you were cheering against the gophers. Those of you wanting Brewster gone must have really struggled your gopher fandom. LMAO

I see at least 4 wins.
I would love for you to be right. For that to happen, Kalscheur and Willis must find their jump shots, and remain consistent. It is amazing that we have won games with them scoring very little. If those two can shoot 35% from three, we could win four of those, as both Carr and Oturu have been constantly good. I don’t think that is asking too much.

The beauty of most of you on this board is you've never wanted a new coach for the gophers in any sport. If you did, you were cheering against the gophers. Those of you wanting Brewster gone must have really struggled your gopher fandom. LMAO

Incorrect. If we beat Rutgers on Sunday, we'll be 5-3. That will put us solidly in the top 5 in the conference. That is not middling.

Also, as much as I wasn't blown away by Tracy Claeys, I was never once posting during that season, saying "I can't wait til we collapse" or "I can't wait til we lose to Wisconsin" so we could get a more exciting coach. You've been posting the same shit for 2 years and usually it's only when we are losing or after a loss. "See I told you Pitino sucks. Can't wait til they lose more and I'm proven right." That's paraphrased but saying "we'll be below .500 soon" is the EXACT same thing.

The fact that you are even in this thread is surprising. If you are actually a fan of the Gophers and this is your existence and the way your Gopher hoops experience is going, I legit feel sorry for you. Everyone else is watching this team gel and two stars flourish and enjoying it....everyone except you.

Sheesh your almost as negative as Scools— and that's saying something. Don't get it twisted Gold we all want success for the program. There's just quite a few of us that believe Pitino is a good coach that suffered from some early recruiting mistakes in his first several seasons.

If we beat Rutgers we'd be the first team to win at the RAC this season. Rutgers is no joke at home and are currently 12-0 there with wins over Seton Hall, Wisconsin, and Penn State. Knocking them off would put us at a nice 5-3 (not middling) record. Not to mention even if we finish in the middle of the B1G this year we'd still be comfortably in the NCAA tournament due to the strength of the B1G conference.

Oh- it's the low aspirations argument....love that one. Man, we all want to win and win big. Some handle it differently.

Dutcher was 83-86 in years that didn't get expunged by sanctions .49 winning percentage
Clem was 48-78 in years that the NCAAs didn't erase .38 winning percentage
Monson was 44-68 during his years (no erasures for him) .393 winning percentage
Tubby was 46-62 during his years .426
During which of those years were you a fan that cared, because all of those are "middling' or worse?

I was all in, for all of those years, for each of the games. Season tickets continuously since 1987 and for a number of years off and on before that, beyond which I had student tickets in the 1970s.
It is legitimate to complain about the coach and in fact you can say anything you want about the coach or program it's a free board and a free country (for now). It is just discouraging to hear a fan come and bellyache that he essentially hopes we lose enough to fire the coach. If you don't like the coach, just support the team, which has great kids on it who are playing their hearts out.

When it gets to the end of the year- have at it, say fire the coach to your heart's content. Who knows you might be right. But until the body of work is done, give it a chance and enjoy the ride a little.

Absolutely ridiculous statement. Who is this guy?

Sheesh your almost as negative as Scools— and that's saying something. Don't get it twisted Gold we all want success for the program. There's just quite a few of us that believe Pitino is a good coach that suffered from some early recruiting mistakes in his first several seasons.

If we beat Rutgers we'd be the first team to win at the RAC this season. Rutgers is no joke at home and are currently 12-0 there with wins over Seton Hall, Wisconsin, and Penn State. Knocking them off would put us at a nice 5-3 (not middling) record. Not to mention even if we finish in the middle of the B1G this year we'd still be comfortably in the NCAA tournament due to the strength of the B1G conference.
Sweet - I am still the most negative ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the quite of few of you who believe Pitino is a good coach would be correct if by good you mean mediocre. Look no further than his overall conference record.

Last edited:

Also, as much as I wasn't blown away by Tracy Claeys, I was never once posting during that season, saying "I can't wait til we collapse" or "I can't wait til we lose to Wisconsin" so we could get a more exciting coach. You've been posting the same shit for 2 years and usually it's only when we are losing or after a loss. "See I told you Pitino sucks. Can't wait til they lose more and I'm proven right." That's paraphrased but saying "we'll be below .500 soon" is the EXACT same thing.

The fact that you are even in this thread is surprising. If you are actually a fan of the Gophers and this is your existence and the way your Gopher hoops experience is going, I legit feel sorry for you. Everyone else is watching this team gel and two stars flourish and enjoying it....everyone except you.

Oh- it's the low aspirations argument....love that one. Man, we all want to win and win big. Some handle it differently.

Dutcher was 83-86 in years that didn't get expunged by sanctions .49 winning percentage
Clem was 48-78 in years that the NCAAs didn't erase .38 winning percentage
Monson was 44-68 during his years (no erasures for him) .393 winning percentage
Tubby was 46-62 during his years .426
During which of those years were you a fan that cared, because all of those are "middling' or worse?

I was all in, for all of those years, for each of the games. Season tickets continuously since 1987 and for a number of years off and on before that, beyond which I had student tickets in the 1970s.
It is legitimate to complain about the coach and in fact you can say anything you want about the coach or program it's a free board and a free country (for now). It is just discouraging to hear a fan come and bellyache that he essentially hopes we lose enough to fire the coach. If you don't like the coach, just support the team, which has great kids on it who are playing their hearts out.

When it gets to the end of the year- have at it, say fire the coach to your heart's content. Who knows you might be right. But until the body of work is done, give it a chance and enjoy the ride a little.

I've given it a chance for 7 years. I see nothing but an average big 10 team here.

I've given it a chance for 7 years. I see nothing but an average big 10 team here.
All on board for the full 7 years. This team can make the mark of being a top 3 conference team and lead the way to being a top 4 conference program. I really like this team and 13-7 would be a great deal better than mediocre. Granted, he would have to do it year after year with that record and a conference title at some point to be considered a really good coach. The table is set to contend this year with this roster. He has to finish ahead of UW at least once in 7 years.

No. That's total bullshit. You haven't "given it a chance for 7 years". You have been spewing the same negative drivel for at least the last two years. That's not even debatable. What you were doing before that, I can't speak to, but AT BEST you gave it a chance for 4 years.

It is OK if someone has had enough after 4 years. He has that right. This would all be understood on a better level if each person spelled out what terrible, mediocre, average, good and great are by their standards. No one has to agree with another persons opinions. Seems reasonable to expect many fans to think in 6 years we never finished above UW, never contended at the top of the conference and on and on. Myself, i think he earned this year by the skin of his teeth. There are a whole lot of people who have given up on Pitino way before now and will not go to games anymore. I disagree with them but do not have a argument to change their minds outside it is D1 basketball, his best roster, his best staff. Their response is the same, too much losing.

No. That's total bullshit. You haven't "given it a chance for 7 years". You have been spewing the same negative drivel for at least the last two years. That's not even debatable. What you were doing before that, I can't speak to, but AT BEST you gave it a chance for 4 years.

In year 5, i'd given it a chance for 5 years

In year 6, I'd given it a chance for 6 years

It's now year 7, I've given it a chance for 7 years.

It just stays the same, sir!

In the past two years he was 13 - 25. (That's .341) That's worse than his overall big 10 at .376 I guess I was wrong.

Last edited:

In the past two years he was 13 - 25. (That's .341) That's worse than his overall big 10 at .376 I guess I was wrong.
That is such an unfair take on the last two years, and I think you know it. The year that stunk was the year where he had the best roster and lost most of his starting lineup. If he has reasonable luck that year he would have been over .500 for the two years and actually over .500 for the last three years with 3 straight NCAA appearances. Historic for this program. Good enough? No. But he has showed signs of breaking us out of the LONG drought this program has been in.

My favorite part of this season is going to be watching you slink back into your dark hole as it becomes more and more clear we are headed to the tourney again. You must be really clenching your teeth hoping your dream of us collapsing over these next 6 games comes true. Fun times. That sounds like a lovely hobby.

Incorrect. If we beat Rutgers on Sunday, we'll be 5-3. That will put us solidly in the top 5 in the conference. That is not middling.

Huge game, could be a turning point one way or the other.

My favorite part of this season is going to be watching you slink back into your dark hole as it becomes more and more clear we are headed to the tourney again. You must be really clenching your teeth hoping your dream of us collapsing over these next 6 games comes true. Fun times. That sounds like a lovely hobby.

If we do, you'll be posting

If we don't, you'll disappear.

Your goal is the tourney, but it should be more. That's what some of us want.

That is such an unfair take on the last two years, and I think you know it. The year that stunk was the year where he had the best roster and lost most of his starting lineup. If he has reasonable luck that year he would have been over .500 for the two years and actually over .500 for the last three years with 3 straight NCAA appearances. Historic for this program. Good enough? No. But he has showed signs of breaking us out of the LONG drought this program has been in.

He was 9-11 in the big 10 last year. Not sure what you are talking about.

They were also playing complete schit before the stuff happened two years ago.

Last edited:

If we do, you'll be posting

If we don't, you'll disappear.

Your goal is the tourney, but it should be more. That's what some of us want.

Who really wouldn't want us to be better? The point is some here think we are track. You obviously do not which is fine. It's no time fair of posters to call you a traitor or say your not a fan. It's also ridiculous of you to believe people don't want us to be better or are completely sastified. Pitino supporters obviously believe he's on his way to better.

Who really wouldn't want us to be better? The point is some here think we are track. You obviously do not which is fine. It's no time fair of posters to call you a traitor or say your not a fan. It's also ridiculous of you to believe people don't want us to be better or are completely sastified. Pitino supporters obviously believe he's on his way to better.

My saying they don't want us to be better is my defense of not being a fan.

but then again, many of them have never wanted a minnesota coach gone, brewster included.

He was 9-11 in the big 10 last year. Not sure what you are talking about.

They were also playing complete schit before the stuff happened two years ago.
Your memory is faulty. The Gophers were 14-3 before the first game Lynch was gone. 12th in the country at one point and probably still in the top 25 as of that point.

My saying they don't want us to be better is my defense of not being a fan.

but then again, many of them have never wanted a minnesota coach gone, brewster included.

Fair enough. Anyone who didn't want Brewster gone was insane lol

Your memory is faulty. The Gophers were 14-3 before the first game Lynch was gone. 12th in the country at one point and probably still in the top 25 as of that point.

Not faulty at all. They lost to a tough Miami team at home in a tough game. They then opened the big 10 season at Rutgers and won. They then lost to a weak Nebraska team on the road. They looked gross. Then followed that up with a one point home win with Drake 68-67.That was hard to understand. Drake was friggin brutal.They then beat Florida Atlantic by 14 and Harvard by 10. The Harvard game was close all the way with free throws pulling away at the end. This whole board was wondering what the hell was going on with them.

Last edited:

Top Bottom