Matt Rhule: "A good QB in the portal costs $1 million, $1.5, 2 million" in NIL.

The actual numbers may not be accurate, but Shedeur has been in multiple national commercials with his dad this year. He's almost certainly making more to play this year than the average Vikings player is.
Yep. He's done KFC ads with his dad, and he's in another one for some online shopping thing with his brother. And that's legit NIL, exactly as it would be intended. Obviously, having a very famous dad helps.

If a player choose a scholarship from any school that offers them, and they can leave any time they want, and the only restriction is that if they go to a different school to play football they have to wait longer to play than they prefer, then that is nothing like indentured servitude.
It's basically the same as a non-compete, some of which hold up, some don't.

Universities need to eventually be allowed to dip into that broadcasting money and just pay the players with advertising dollars. Stop asking for donations from the fans. Broadcasting rights and ticket sales generate plenty of money to go around for everyone.
Would that stop NIL though? I think it would just be gravy for players at the expense of non-revenue sports. I frankly don't care about no -revenue sports but I think I'm in the minority here. So go ahead and pay the players. But NIL will still exist and stilltip the scales towards the haves.

If a player choose a scholarship from any school that offers them, and they can leave any time they want, and the only restriction is that if they go to a different school to play football they have to wait longer to play than they prefer, then that is nothing like indentured servitude.

Again, the obvious deterrent is that a player who is required to sit out is not nearly as attractive of a recruit as one who can play immediately. Prior to this rule, grad transfers were far more sought that regular transfers.

The actual numbers may not be accurate, but Shedeur has been in multiple national commercials with his dad this year. He's almost certainly making more to play this year than the average Vikings player is.
He’s an almond😉?

And an outlier because of his 🐾

Last edited:

I’m calling bullshit on these coaches and their NIL comments. Maybe the top handful of quarterbacks are in super high demand. Otherwise it’s gonna drop off pretty quickly.

Their numbers don’t make any sense considering what we actually have visibility to.

Max Dugan would have been one of the hottest QBs ever to hit the portal after last year if he hadn’t opted for the NFL. He is making only 212k in the NFL this year. And he would have had a good idea that’s what he would be making when he decided to forego his last year of eligibility.

Yep. He's done KFC ads with his dad, and he's in another one for some online shopping thing with his brother. And that's legit NIL, exactly as it would be intended. Obviously, having a very famous dad helps.
It's true he's an outlier and intended purpose of NIL, but it's really hard to make a rule that allows him to get paid but also doesn't allow Bubba's Pump and Feed in Lincoln to hand over $200k to some lineman because a Husker player is a legitimate celebrity in Lincoln, Nebraska. And the problem for the Gophers isn't that there isn't enough money to go around, the market is just too competitive. How many guys on this team would draw a bigger crowd to the local Scheel's than Alexander Mattison or some other random Vikings starter.

Show me some of these contracts. Shadeur could be trading his likeness for a 20 piece bucket for all we know.

Is there anyone anywhere involved in this specific industry/marketing deals that can share ballpark figures on metro/regional/ national endorsement figures. Not talking about the NIL collective nonsense, although that would be very interesting too.

Actual, ink on paper-type numbers.

How could Rhule know since he didn't have a good QB?
His first choice for QB was ... uh .... "lacking". Handed AK ... our kicker the win.

Granted I think Rhule is a good coach for Nebraska, but man he missed on Sims.

A N booster just gifted a Lear jet to the Nebraska Athletic Dept to use for what ever FYI

A N booster just gifted a Lear jet to the Nebraska Athletic Dept to use for what ever FYI

Bet that NE has been using private jets for recruiting trips for a long time. Whether it was allowed or not. Didn't help Scott Frost much.

Oh yeah well our athletic department will let official visitors expense Early Bird on Southwest if they commit on the spot

If it had been a Gulfstream, I would’ve been impressed.

Just points out that Neb has alot of Alum-boosters that give alot of cash for all their sports. Been like that for ever. Doesn't seem U has that enthusiasm from those types.

Just points out that Neb has alot of Alum-boosters that give alot of cash for all their sports. Been like that for ever. Doesn't seem U has that enthusiasm from those types.

Who else are they gonna give that money too? Are Omaha and Lincoln chock full of corporations and wealthy individuals who grew-up or went to college elsewhere? Are people flooding in from Kansas and Iowa to take a lot of high paying jobs in Nebraska? And running corporations there?

Will admit that the big time farmers give a lot of money to the Cornhuskers. Farmers here don't.

Screw the "lack of enthusiasm" for the over and under the table money flowing into the U the way it does down there. If so, let's hear some names who wanted to flood the U with unconditional money but were turned down.

All that money flowing legally and illegally into the Nebraska football program hasn't done much to help them in the Bg Ten. They had a 7-1 Conference season once and a 6 win season another time and 3 wins or less 8 times.

The idea that we have a lot of big donors here just waiting to donate big bucks to the Athletic Department is an illusion. Much like Cornhusker fans thinking their football team is one coach away from another National Championship.

@Iceland12 Denny Sanford is the only one who comes to mind, and there may have been a legit reason for the U to turn him down. But that's really the only one I can think of.

@Iceland12 Denny Sanford is the only one who comes to mind, and there may have been a legit reason for the U to turn him down. But that's really the only one I can think of.

That's who I was thinking of when I mentioned "unconditional money". Denny Boy had a LOT of conditions added to his potential $35 million donation back in 2003. Mainly spreading the donation out and hiding his real worth from his ex-wife.

To his credit he did finally make a multi-million dollar donation for that Gopher Hall of Fame. As fitting with Mr.Sanford news accounts on the amount of the donation range from $6 to $12 million.😇

That's cool, but who has to pay to maintain the learjet? It reminds me of when the Bradley family built the old Milwaukee Bucks arena the Bradley Center. And gave it to the city without anything for upkeep and maintenance.

Someone could gift me a mansion on Lake Minnetonka. That would be awesome. Except I couldn't really afford to pay the property taxes.

Yeah I would think they already have near unlimited access to private jets, and usually it’s a lot easier to do that on an ad-hoc basis via a company that specializes in providing that service.

That's cool, but who has to pay to maintain the learjet? It reminds me of when the Bradley family built the old Milwaukee Bucks arena the Bradley Center. And gave it to the city without anything for upkeep and maintenance.

Someone could gift me a mansion on Lake Minnetonka. That would be awesome. Except I couldn't really afford to pay the property taxes.
I would assume that jet is effectively time leased on the jet from a company who actually owns it.

Who else are they gonna give that money too? Are Omaha and Lincoln chock full of corporations and wealthy individuals who grew-up or went to college elsewhere? Are people flooding in from Kansas and Iowa to take a lot of high paying jobs in Nebraska? And running corporations there?

Will admit that the big time farmers give a lot of money to the Cornhuskers. Farmers here don't.

Screw the "lack of enthusiasm" for the over and under the table money flowing into the U the way it does down there. If so, let's hear some names who wanted to flood the U with unconditional money but were turned down.

All that money flowing legally and illegally into the Nebraska football program hasn't done much to help them in the Bg Ten. They had a 7-1 Conference season once and a 6 win season another time and 3 wins or less 8 times.

The idea that we have a lot of big donors here just waiting to donate big bucks to the Athletic Department is an illusion. Much like Cornhusker fans thinking their football team is one coach away from another National Championshp

U is much bigger than N, larger state with more population and metro is much larger and Im sure has more wealthy boosters, but does not seam to help. If the U cant bring them in Nil it will kill the schools that cant compete( IE the U) we better get a staff that can load up with 4 and5 stars who don't care about nil which in todays world is highly unlikely. MPLS metro pop 2,989,669.. Neb total pop 1,896,190

Top Bottom