Matt Rhule: "A good QB in the portal costs $1 million, $1.5, 2 million" in NIL.

JJ McCarthy at Michigan is makin $1.3 Mil
Bo Nix at Oregon is making $1.3 Mil

I miss the old days when this was all done under the table

.https://www.morningstar.com/news/ma...tes-are-making-over-1-million-a-year-from-nil
this is On3's algorithm and is not actual dollar figures. Some are making more i'm sure, many less.

Also, rapidly losing interest in CFB if we're just going to pay guys and poach people and there will be massive roster turnover year after year. making it harder and harder to invest and follow guys who are going to develop within a program knowing the top flight guys will leave

Is Rhule being ridiculed by local and social media for pointing this fact out? Asking for a friend.

Last edited:

Most universities don't have that much NIL money, I am guessing Rhule is trying to make a statement to donors

I'm not going to buy the "Poor Ole Nebraska" line of BS. Nebraska football isn't the biggest game in town, it's the only game in town. If the alumni and businesses can't scape up enough to have a legitimate NIL program that's on them.

That being said, I hate what "amateur" athletics has become.

Imagine thinking guys haven't been getting cash under the table for decades.
No doubt money has been changing hands behind the scenes for years. But this current mess is something different entirely.

I mean how crazy is it that coaches are openly talking about needing 2 million to get a qb.

this is On3's algorithm and is not actual dollar figures. Some are making more i'm sure, many less.

Also, rapidly losing interest in CFB if we're just going to pay guys and poach people and there will be massive roster turnover year after year. making it harder and harder to invest and follow guys who are going to develop within a program knowing the top flight guys will leave

Agreed. The secret sauce to popular sports and media $$ is fan engagement with the sport personalities. It could be football, NASCAR, golf, basketball...it doesn't matter. The open transfer portal will kill D1 college football if the schools don't put a kibosh on it.

So, stupid question, is that like a 1 time 1.3 million payout when you show up, or is it every year you play.
Can there be a stipulation that you have to be the starter? Just seems like a major mess to me.

Now Prime is asking for money after the Buffaloes 1-8 season so he can compete

So, stupid question, is that like a 1 time 1.3 million payout when you show up, or is it every year you play.
Can there be a stipulation that you have to be the starter? Just seems like a major mess to me.
They are typically one year NIL contracts from what I have heard

I see a new version of the game show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire? - only with QB recruits as contestants.

and the QB's who don't land FBS offers wind up on "The Biggest Loser."

Most universities don't have that much NIL money, I am guessing Rhule is trying to make a statement to donors
Warren Buffet has billion$ that he doesn't know what to do with. I'd like to see what kind of team he could buy. I believe that he is a Big Red booster.

This should be noted when guys complain about Fleck's recruiting.
This should be noted when guys complain about Fleck's recruiting.
Recruiting is dead for anyone that is a big time player. It’s pay to play and that’s the reality of it. Sure there will be a few exceptions but not many. Gophers will be a farm team for the helmet schools if they develop anyone and can’t pay up. Sucks

Top Bottom