Matt Rhule: "A good QB in the portal costs $1 million, $1.5, 2 million" in NIL.

Warren Buffet has billion$ that he doesn't know what to do with. I'd like to see what kind of team he could buy. I believe that he is a Big Red booster.
Agreed. And the Nike dude at Oregon, what can you do against a bankroll like that. I dont mind the college players getting paid but they need a certain amount of rules or I really think people just say f$&k it and stop watching.

This is all smoke and mirrors. All opaque.

Who knows what anyone really is getting. What the contracts say. What the stipulations are. What the schedule of actual payouts are. Etc.

I’m calling bullshit on these coaches and their NIL comments. Maybe the top handful of quarterbacks are in super high demand. Otherwise it’s gonna drop off pretty quickly.

If this is what college football has devolved to, you can have it. And all you annoying lecturers who support this nonsense will regret it eventually. You're killing the game we love. Pull your head out of your rectum.

JJ McCarthy at Michigan is makin $1.3 Mil
Bo Nix at Oregon is making $1.3 Mil

I miss the old days when this was all done under the table

.https://www.morningstar.com/news/ma...tes-are-making-over-1-million-a-year-from-nil
We have three teams joining the Big 1G next Fall in USC, Oregon and Wash and all three of them will be out in the Portal with their checkbooks with each having an elite QB departing. It will be interesting to see what those NIL numbers end up looking like.

Pay the man.

Find a brown paper bag, joke. LOL

Last edited:

this is On3's algorithm and is not actual dollar figures. Some are making more i'm sure, many less.

Also, rapidly losing interest in CFB if we're just going to pay guys and poach people and there will be massive roster turnover year after year. making it harder and harder to invest and follow guys who are going to develop within a program knowing the top flight guys will leave

On3's website is 100% accurate for my value. There's nothing there.

Universities need to eventually be allowed to dip into that broadcasting money and just pay the players with advertising dollars. Stop asking for donations from the fans. Broadcasting rights and ticket sales generate plenty of money to go around for everyone.

Remember last year that QB at a Florida school was offered a huge amount and then when it fell through he asked to decommit.

1701316687275.png

Universities need to eventually be allowed to dip into that broadcasting money and just pay the players with advertising dollars. Stop asking for donations from the fans. Broadcasting rights and ticket sales generate plenty of money to go around for everyone.
you mean like just make them contracted/salaried employees with a CBA, salary cap, etc.

Stop, that would make too much sense. it's way better if we let a system with no guardrails moderate itself. that will workout fine and not negatively impact any teams nor players in any way.

Not unless you start cutting sports. A fair amount of that money goes to pay for the multitude of non revenue sports

Not unless you start cutting sports. A fair amount of that money goes to pay for the multitude of non revenue sports
media rights deal made 54 million last year. The new deal is expected to annually distribute between 80-100 million. the cost of having a team did not go up 26 million dollars

you mean like just make them contracted/salaried employees with a CBA, salary cap, etc.

Stop, that would make too much sense. it's way better if we let a system with no guardrails moderate itself. that will workout fine and not negatively impact any teams nor players in any way.
It’s teams, plural that that money has to support. That includes increased costs of tuition/scholarships for student athletes, salary raises for coaches and ancillary staff, facility and equipment updates, as well as the increasing prices of travel for teams. That money has to cover all athletic department expenses for all sports. It’s a lot of sports to
support when only 2-3 sports at best are break even or profitable at the U

This is unsustainable and obviously a calamity for college football. Changes will have to be made. NY Times said that a star tackle at Mich St. was paid $850,000 to keep him from entering the portal.

JJ McCarthy at Michigan is makin $1.3 Mil
Bo Nix at Oregon is making $1.3 Mil

I miss the old days when this was all done under the table

.https://www.morningstar.com/news/ma...tes-are-making-over-1-million-a-year-from-nil
In reading the article, I found this language and the source they quoted as dubious, at best -

Overall, Shedeur Sanders's NIL value currently sits at $4.8 million, according to On3, up from $1.5 million at the beginning of the year -- that's the highest value in all of college football. For context, that's nearly twice the average NFL player's
Is Rhule being ridiculed by local and social media for pointing this fact out? Asking for a friend.
What poof do you or anyone else have thst these numbers are facts?

Tax returns?
Bank statement?
Copies of a contract?

Asking for a friend

It’s teams, plural that that money has to support. That includes increased costs of tuition/scholarships for student athletes, salary raises for coaches and ancillary staff, facility and equipment updates, as well as the increasing prices of travel for teams. That money has to cover all athletic department expenses for all sports. It’s a lot of sports to
support when only 2-3 sports at best are break even or profitable at the U
yes i'm aware, but that didn't go up 30 million dollars this year. they will have a surplus and can choose how to spend it.

the 2022 fiscal report is interesting to look at and see their sources of revenue and expenditure. If they want to say that they're going to put the 30 million back into facilities, fine. but to say that this will be offset by tuition/scholarships (~11% expenses + ~5% for meals, awards, banquets, etc), salary raises (coaching is about 20%, ancillary staff another 15%), or travel (5%), that's just not true. Cost of those things from 2022-->2024 isn't going to go up at that rate when you have had a revenue increase of over 25%. Right now media rights account for about double what donations do and that's going to go up to 3-4x comparatively. It will be a huge influx of money across the board for many teams/schools and provided things rise with the rate of inflation figuring about ~10% annually (which is high, but easier for math and also allows for some increased travel costs), you still have an extra $15 million or so.

Again totally fine if they want to dump that back into things for the athletes (healthcare, facilities, etc), but to act like they could not include an added "stipend" if they don't want to call it a salary just isn't true. It's just how they choose to spend it.

The open transfer portal will kill D1 college football if the schools don't put a kibosh on it.

The one-time free transfer rule (if enforced) is not killing college football or any other sport. It's a good rule. The unregulated NIL environment is the killer.

We have three teams joining the Big 1G next Fall in USC, Oregon and Wash and all three of them will be out in the Portal with their checkbooks with each having an elite QB departing. It will be interesting to see what those NIL numbers end up looking like.

Four teams: the ones you mentioned plus UCLA

The one-time free transfer rule (if enforced) is not killing college football or any other sport. It's a good rule. The unregulated NIL environment is the killer.

I disagree. A revolving door of players kills fan interest, stunts player development, and reduces the general level of play. Yes, NIL needs reform and regulation, but it could be managed more easily with less movement. There's a reason why the NFL has trade and free agency restrictions.

I disagree. A revolving door of players kills fan interest, stunts player development, and reduces the general level of play. Yes, NIL needs reform and regulation, but it could be managed more easily with less movement. There's a reason why the NFL has trade and free agency restrictions.

I think you're missing something: you don't have to like it. If you restrict the ability of players to transfer (at least once) you have a system of indentured servitude.

One of these things has existed for years, the other has not. The transfer rules are a far bigger issue.

I think you're missing something: you don't have to like it. If you restrict the ability of players to transfer (at least once) you have a system of indentured servitude.

They can transfer. It just requires a one-year sit.

Stop it with the indentured servitude. D1 football players are priveleged as hell and can quit any time they wish to do something else.

Last edited:

Unfortunately that’s not going to fix anything. If we’re allowed to do it OSU and Michigan will do the same thing. And likely will eventually make the argument that they want a bigger piece of the media pie.

We’re not going to win a financial arms race in a Wild West atmosphere with no rules.

They can transfer. It just requires a one-year sit.

Stop it with the indentured servitude. D1 football players are priveleged as hell and can quit any time they wish to do something else.

Which makes them considerably less attractive on the transfer market. I've read plenty of posts by you in the past. You always take the view that all privileges belong to those with the power and the money so I'm not surprised you are consistent on this as well.

In reading the article, I found this language and the source they quoted as dubious, at best -

Overall, Shedeur Sanders's NIL value currently sits at $4.8 million, according to On3, up from $1.5 million at the beginning of the year -- that's the highest value in all of college football. For context, that's nearly twice the average NFL player's

What poof do you or anyone else have thst these numbers are facts?

Tax returns?
Bank statement?
Copies of a contract?

Asking for a friend
The actual numbers may not be accurate, but Shedeur has been in multiple national commercials with his dad this year. He's almost certainly making more to play this year than the average Vikings player is.

If a player choose a scholarship from any school that offers them, and they can leave any time they want, and the only restriction is that if they go to a different school to play football they have to wait longer to play than they prefer, then that is nothing like indentured servitude.

Top Bottom