Matt Haarms transferring from Purdue

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
A little surprising, but with Trevion Williams still there it makes sense. He'll be an excellent pick-up for someone. Active big guy, can help a team win in a lot of ways. I've always liked him.

Last edited:

Would of looked good in Maroon and Gold!

We haven't had a good heel in a while! (Was going to say, (Dick since Reggie. But that would be inappropriate!))

Purdue fans are puzzled. Feel like his playing time was limited some last season due to injury but were looking for him to be a big part of this season's team. Speculating maybe Painter wants to have shooters on the floor more often or maybe a top grad transfer big about to join?

Last edited:

He played over 20 minutes in 10 of the last 11 games. End of season coach to player evals always reveal surprises.

He played over 20 minutes in 10 of the last 11 games. End of season coach to player evals always reveal surprises.
Sounds like Purdue was caught be surprise. This year with no contact will be tricky and I think we'll see some more surprise transfers keep coming up.

Sounds like Purdue was caught be surprise. This year with no contact will be tricky and I think we'll see some more surprise transfers keep coming up.

Yep. Jeff Goodman just reported a little bit ago that Purdue was blindsided by this, per his sources. Haarms will have plenty of options.

This is the culture of college basketball. Can't have too many good players because guys always want more.

Can't really blame him. He was passed up Trevion Williams (mini-Swanigan) and since you can't really play two true bigs together, Haarms is too good to play 12-18 minutes per game.

Sucks that this is the way college basketball is now with so many guys always transferring.

I think it was Phil Martelli on Rothstein's podcast who said it is no longer 'program-building' but rather 'roster-constructing' because of so much player movement.

And I know, nobody is going to feel sorry for the coaches making millions. I don't care about the coaches. I don't care about the players. I care about me, the viewer, watching good basketball. And I think all the constant transferring and guys leaving to never be heard from again (not 1st or 2nd round picks) is bad for college basketball.

This is the culture of college basketball. Can't have too many good players because guys always want more.

Can't really blame him. He was passed up Trevion Williams (mini-Swanigan) and since you can't really play two true bigs together, Haarms is too good to play 12-18 minutes per game.

Sucks that this is the way college basketball is now with so many guys always transferring.

I think it was Phil Martelli on Rothstein's podcast who said it is no longer 'program-building' but rather 'roster-constructing' because of so much player movement.

And I know, nobody is going to feel sorry for the coaches making millions. I don't care about the coaches. I don't care about the players. I care about me, the viewer, watching good basketball. And I think all the constant transferring and guys leaving to never be heard from again (not 1st or 2nd round picks) is bad for college basketball.
Follow the programs who play true to who they are and what they do and you will see players for 3-5 years that win a great deal.

Gophers among a ton of teams to reach out to Haarms. Kentucky, Lousiville, Arizona some of the others.

I find this really surprising. Haarms just seems like a Purdue guy to me.

It seems like if you want out, you'd get the hell out of the conference.

A completely fresh start!

I find this really surprising. Haarms just seems like a Purdue guy to me.

He was way too thin to ever be a real Purdue guy. They have always had bruiser type centers. Haarms is tall but spindly. Maybe engineering was too hard a major for him.

Here’s the plan.
Haarms transfers to Gophers. Sits a year.
Robbins comes in.
Thompson comes in.
Holmgren commits and comes in.
We find a 7ft white guy from Europe or get the Trapp kid to unretire.

We have an all 7ft skinny white guy starting 5. Play a zone. Chet and Treyton can handle the ball and shoot 3s. You force other teams to adjust to this style of play. If nothing else, it would be a fucking riot.

The rest of the league is playing checkers. I’m playing chess

interesting the gophers the only B10 team on that list (unless I missed someone)

Top Bottom