Mar’Keise Irving enters the transfer portal

Really would be interesting to know, if Mo and Potts both stayed fully health and were the #1/#2 backs, with Bryce Williams being the #3, the whole year .... do both Ky Thomas and Irving still transfer out?

Really would be interesting to know, if Mo and Potts both stayed fully health and were the #1/#2 backs, with Bryce Williams being the #3, the whole year .... do both Ky Thomas and Irving still transfer out?
Probably not but only because they would not have likely gotten much in the way of offers. But in this current landscape who knows. Maybe they would have transferred anyway.

Probably not but only because they would not have likely gotten much in the way of offers. But in this current landscape who knows. Maybe they would have transferred anyway.
Yeah, I guess it all depends on what your angle is. If it's just to get as much playing time, as quickly as possible, at a P5, to get into the NFL, then going to a Kansas or Colorado could make sense.

Hard to say, because if Mo had stayed healthy it seems rather unlikely that he would be coming back for a 6th season.

Good lord, you and SanDiego are out to lunch with this crap. You are saying that PJ would rather risk losing than play the best player...you need to lay off the booze this early in the day.

I am not sure who you really are, but I smell a PBU.

SD is a loser troll that has already been ousted on the basketball board. Surprised the UN hasn't been booted.

Hard to say, because if Mo had stayed healthy it seems rather unlikely that he would be coming back for a 6th season.
This is another good point, in addition to KT and Irving not then having their 2021 highlight reels/game tapes to show to coaches at prospective P5 landing spots. Though it probably would just be one spot in the top two backs rotation opening up, with Potts sliding up to #1.

But alas, it happened like it did and so here we are.

What a load of BS.

We have 19 guys in the portal, that is a lot but of those 19 only a handful are guys who have shown they can play and would have been nice to keep around. The rest are guys who may or may not have panned out. This wasn't hard to see coming, we had to get to 85 scholarships meaning we would either need to bring in a tiny recruiting class and no transfers or guys were going to have to leave through the portal.
Amazing that people fail to realize that only 11 play per side and you want your best to take as many snaps as possible.

This is a perfect example of quantity vs. quality.

Amazing that people fail to realize that only 11 play per side and you want your best to take as many snaps as possible.

This is a perfect example of quantity vs. quality.
ItS more than 11 who play per side per game... 11 start tho

This is even happening at Georgia among 5 stars. If it can happen there and everywhere else, it can happen here too. Time to work the post-spring portal.

Will be interesting to see if we snag any additional transfers and odds are good we may lose a few more as well.

Just the way of the world in this new college football landscape. I do think that after this year though things will calm down a little as every team will be back to the 85 scholarship limit and there won't be a need for quite as much movement.

That said, the portal isn't going anywhere.

Will be interesting to see if we snag any additional transfers and odds are good we may lose a few more as well.

Just the way of the world in this new college football landscape. I do think that after this year though things will calm down a little as every team will be back to the 85 scholarship limit and there won't be a need for quite as much movement.

We're at 83 scholarships used at the moment with no walk-ons from previous years who got scholarships getting their's renewed (with 5 on the roster currently). Definitely, if a few more enter the transfer portal after spring ball, I would expect PJ to snag another transfer guy or two.

Covid + portal was a perfect storm of extended eligibility and blocked underclassmen. This was a predictable consequence. Portal will still be big (especially in bball) but I agree it will slow down once things are back to a normal cadence.

He’s still on the Spring roster. Nothing is for sure.

He's in the portal, that is objectively a fact. He said so (see post #2). That's what the thread is about.

But yes, it certainly is possible to go into the portal, not get an offer to your liking, then ask to stay at your current school and the coach allows it.

I would assume that Fleck being the wise coach that he is, absolutely left the door wide open to return and did not burn the bridge at all.

He's in the portal, that is objectively a fact. He said so (see post #2). That's what the thread is about.

But yes, it certainly is possible to go into the portal, not get an offer to your liking, then ask to stay at your current school and the coach allows it.

I would assume that Fleck being the wise coach that he is, absolutely left the door wide open to return and did not burn the bridge at all.
Could be nothing but it feels like in the past they have been very quick to update the roster on gophersports and remove guys when they enter the portal. For whatever reason Irving and Emilien are still on there.

Could absolutely be nothing but could also indicate the door is open for them to return.

Could be nothing but it feels like in the past they have been very quick to update the roster on gophersports and remove guys when they enter the portal. For whatever reason Irving and Emilien are still on there.

Could absolutely be nothing but could also indicate the door is open for them to return.
My hope is the door is still open, but I could also see them just waiting until spring ball is over to make roster changes...

Questions about the recurrence of injuries to Mo and Potts would be more than enough to stick around; besides Thomas and Irving were freshmen, plenty of time to move up. The portal is pure evil.

Questions about the recurrence of injuries to Mo and Potts would be more than enough to stick around; besides Thomas and Irving were freshmen, plenty of time to move up. The portal is pure evil.

So, I take it you do not want any of the players who have used the portal to transfer TO the Gophers?

Because every one of those players left their former team in order to move to MN.

I'm not saying you should be happy. But you have to accept that this is now part of college sports.

In fact, I think you could say with some confidence that, up to now, the Gophers' portal transfers - both in and out - have been a net positive for the Gophers' program.

Ryan Burns on podcast thinks it's 100% NIL related

If so then maybe it makes sense to redirect department donations and other perhaps slightly more frivolous expenditures - like paying for someone to set up a tailgate tent and spread - to valued players. In the current environment can’t blame them for shopping their services.

I doubt Kansas or Colorado football programs have better NIL to offer football players. So how would Irving know he was wanted by a program with significantly higher NIL .... unless he was "told" this, somehow, some way? (or to a family member or friend to relay it, etc.) So I think we have to assume this latter scenario is what happened.

In which case: this is what it is, now.

To those gnashing their teeth: but I bet you love it when we pickup players who did really well at FCS schools and turn out to be studs for us, right??

Next man up. Good luck to Irving, hope that bigger NIL comes through. Appreciate what you did for us last year!

If so then maybe it makes sense to redirect department donations and other perhaps slightly more frivolous expenditures - like paying for someone to set up a tailgate tent and spread - to valued players. In the current environment can’t blame them for shopping their services.
That's actually not a bad idea - even redesigning existing ideas (I know the U can't coordinate and deliver), but if a private company had "player themed" tailgate packages that included autographed items, maybe a video greeting (recorded prior to game day of course) with players getting a good share of the markup.

Ryan Burns on podcast thinks it's 100% NIL related
The Pair and a Spare podcast, Burns made it sound like other programs with NIL collectives approached him. He also floated the idea of earning money to move his Mom/family out of Southside Chicago. It will be interesting to see where he lands.

The Pair and a Spare podcast, Burns made it sound like other programs with NIL collectives approached him. He also floated the idea of earning money to move his Mom/family out of Southside Chicago. It will be interesting to see where he lands.
will be surprised if we ever get any real specifics.

Did not know that "NIL collectives" were already common things at P5's now.

It does move fast.

That's actually not a bad idea - even redesigning existing ideas (I know the U can't coordinate and deliver), but if a private company had "player themed" tailgate packages that included autographed items, maybe a video greeting (recorded prior to game day of course) with players getting a good share of the markup.
Saw this tweet while browsing twitter for Dawson Garcia news. Interesting idea, but I have not dug into the specifics:

Ryan Burns said in his Gopher Gridiron Podcast that as of Sunday night he hadn’t officially entered the transfer portal. Im not saying Butns wasn’t expecting him to be in the portal…,just that he hadn’t officially entered it at that time.

Top Bottom