Mar’Keise Irving enters the transfer portal

RELAX. A good O line will make any RB be good to above average. Look how the NFL has devalued the position. RB's are not getting paid nearly what they did just a few years ago, and I think our offense will move towards a more balanced attack. With our O Line, I'm not too worried who is in the backfield. In Fleck we trust.

Thanks for the question -- it looks like they never confirmed what the injury was in classic PJ fashion.

I swear I remember seeing them do the stability test on his knee that is indicative of an ACL injury.

Have we seen him at spring practice? I would love to be wrong.

Are you talking about Williams? He has been practicing.

Are you talking about Williams? He has been practicing.
Glad to hear it. Yes I meant to link the story. Thought it was confirmed as an ACL when he was ruled out for the year in October...wonder if it was just a really bad knee or ankle sprain.

If nothing else he is dependable. Not a game breaker. But good pass blocker and will keep the offense running.

Glad to hear it. Yes I meant to link the story. Thought it was confirmed as an ACL when he was ruled out for the year in October...wonder if it was just a really bad knee or ankle sprain.

If nothing else he is dependable. Not a game breaker. But good pass blocker and will keep the offense running.

Someone else mentioned a broken bone, which would make sense since he is back practicing. I don't think he'd be back yet after a torn ACL. I have no idea what the injury was though.

I think too many sleep on Bryce. He was a big factor in the win against Wisconsin as a true freshman and had over 500 yards that season. He also put the game away with this run against Nebraska last season. When he gets an opportunity, he usually makes the most of it.

Thanks for the question -- it looks like they never confirmed what the Bryce Williams injury was in classic PJ fashion.

I swear I remember seeing them do the stability test on his knee that is indicative of an ACL injury.

Have we seen him at spring practice? I would love to be wrong.
My vague memory is it seemed more like an ankle injury. Who knows though.

My vague memory is it seemed more like an ankle injury. Who knows though.
I thought ankle or at worst it was something like a broken leg, but I don't really remember either.

With PJ it’s more about whether a kid is FAMILY than anything. No other reason for Morgan last year and in ‘22, Sorry-Marin playing so many snaps, et al. He will give players run that aren’t performing that well because they are his guys more than I think most other coaches will do. The players don’t/won’t like this or put up wit it in portal world and now we’re pushing 20 of them hitting the bricks; give or take.

With PJ it’s more about whether a kid is FAMILY than anything. No other reason for Morgan last year and in ‘22, Sorry-Marin playing so many snaps, et al. He will give players run that aren’t performing that well because they are his guys more than I think most other coaches will do. The players don’t/won’t like this or put up wit it in portal world and now we’re pushing 20 of them hitting the bricks; give or take.

Sori-Marin was one of the best players on one of the best defenses in the country last season.

Who were they going to replace Morgan with last year? The QB who ended up at FCS Illinois St?

What a load of BS.

We have 19 guys in the portal, that is a lot but of those 19 only a handful are guys who have shown they can play and would have been nice to keep around. The rest are guys who may or may not have panned out. This wasn't hard to see coming, we had to get to 85 scholarships meaning we would either need to bring in a tiny recruiting class and no transfers or guys were going to have to leave through the portal.

Among Bryce, Mo and Trey, Bryce is the only one who has the speed to pull away from pursuers on a long run. (FR RB Evans might be faster than all three of them). Check out Bryce’s “house call” against Nebraska in last year’s game. A strong blocker and good receiver, Bryce is, to me, a valued member of the very experienced RB trio we hope to bring into 2022. Mo and Trey (if healthy) will get more snaps, but Bryce (if healthy) will be a meaningful contributor.

He was talking about it in the PJs eyes thread. Just think a spouse of a doctor would know HIPAA.
Oh. That thread was stupid so I never looked at it, but yes, you are correct.

He was talking about it in the PJs eyes thread. Just think a spouse of a doctor would know HIPAA.
It’s HIPPA law, and has nothing to do with Fleck.
It's HIPAA. It doesn't mean you can't talk about an injury, it means you need consent. And it actually does not apply to coaches...just medical professionals like trainers/team doctors. Of course, the medical professionals need consent to share information with the coach.

He mentions it in this article "The specific part, I always leave up to the kids. Not that I’m hiding information. Everybody can watch the video, see it a million times and create your own assumptions,” Fleck said. “I just think there’s something personal to the injury, the exact, specific part.”

My wife can talk to me about patients as long as she doesn't give personally identifying information.

Maybe I'm being uncharitable and he truly is doing it out of the goodness of his heart and respect to the player, and not to gain a competitive advantage. It strikes me as gamesmanship though.

Last edited:

Sori-Marin was one of the best players on one of the best defenses in the country last season.

Who were they going to replace Morgan with last year? The QB who ended up at FCS Illinois St?
I don’t think 2 or 55 would have started on my D2 team in the 80s. They are just the best examples of PJs bozos. It’s going to become a bigger issue over time.

It’s all because they tried to call him “Bucko”
Might seem trivial but think about it...they start practice and everybody is calling you Bucko... and it bugs the heck out of you... One of the games on TV, the announcers talked about how the team had changed his name to Bucko and when they talked to him he was adamant his name was Bucky and he wasn't changing it.

Seems like a better reason than 10 days into spring football with two healthy backs available to practice he decides he won't get any playing time here next season and has to leave right now!

Also seems like a reason he might not share.

as somebody alluded to - roster management is going to be more challenging in upcoming years.

you had players getting the extra year of covid eligibility - and teams were given an allowance to go over the 85-player scholarship limit - but it was up to each school to decide how many players they would carry on scholarship.

as the 'covid' players work through their eligibility, the 85-player limit will be back in force, and coaches are going to be faced with some decisions as they work back to the lower limit.

so - if some scholarship players who were not starters or key reserves decide to transfer out, I suspect a lot of coaches will not mind very much, because it will help alleviate some of those roster issues.

for D1 programs, especially in a P5 conference, the bulk of the "roster churn" will involve players who were lower on the depth chart. for every starter who transfers, there will be three or four bottom-rung players who leave.

Might seem trivial but think about it...they start practice and everybody is calling you Bucko... and it bugs the heck out of you... One of the games on TV, the announcers talked about how the team had changed his name to Bucko and when they talked to him he was adamant his name was Bucky and he wasn't changing it.

Seems like a better reason than 10 days into spring football with two healthy backs available to practice he decides he won't get any playing time here next season and has to leave right now!

Also seems like a reason he might not share.
Seems like the more likely reason is that 10 days into Spring practice he knows the status of the three seniors and their likelihood of being full go. He can calculate he will be waiting a year to be in the running for feature back.

I hate to lose Bucky but I read it as a very positive tell for this season. Also think Evans down the road might be better -- bigger and stronger -- than either Ky or Bucky.

Seems like the more likely reason is that 10 days into Spring practice he knows the status of the three seniors and their likelihood of being full go. He can calculate he will be waiting a year to be in the running for feature back.

I hate to lose Bucky but I read it as a very positive tell for this season. Also think Evans down the road might be better -- bigger and stronger -- than either Ky or Bucky.
Maybe...entirely possible but why a week into spring football then? He's been working with those guys all winter...he knew how healthy they were before practice started. They ain't taking his reps now.

This must mean we have a stable of healthy studs in the running back room.

It's HIPAA. It doesn't mean you can't talk about an injury, it means you need consent. And it actually does not apply to coaches...just medical professionals like trainers/team doctors. Of course, the medical professionals need consent to share information with the coach.

He mentions it in this article "The specific part, I always leave up to the kids. Not that I’m hiding information. Everybody can watch the video, see it a million times and create your own assumptions,” Fleck said. “I just think there’s something personal to the injury, the exact, specific part.”

My wife can talk to me about patients as long as she doesn't give personally identifying information.

Maybe I'm being uncharitable and he truly is doing it out of the goodness of his heart and respect to the player, and not to gain a competitive advantage. It strikes me as gamesmanship though.
It happens in every sport. You'd be foolish to share info that isn't required. Think of the NHL and how many "lower body injuries" there are. The NFL requires more specifics so some people get used to that.

It happens in every sport. You'd be foolish to share info that isn't required. Think of the NHL and how many "lower body injuries" there are. The NFL requires more specifics so some people get used to that.
I was responding to you saying it was a HIPAA issue and that I should be aware of that.

You are right though, this is the way the sport is going, and I am used to the NFL's transparency. I don't follow the NHL so I have no idea what is happening there. Using Wisconsin as an example, 5 years ago when Jack Cichy hurt his knee Paul Chryst announced it as a torn ACL. Last year when Chez Mellusi was hurt, "Paul Chryst didn't specifically say what RB Chez Mellusi's season-ending injury was, but he did say this about his return: "It’s going to be one of those where it won’t be spring ball."

I think what initially frustrated me about it was in 2018 when Shannon Brooks tore his ACL in his first game back from another torn ACL...Fleck said "I pretty much know that he probably won’t play this week." Which to me is silly gamesmanship to gain the tiniest of edges when you know full well he is not playing.

I'm going to stop posting about this topic because it's derailing the thread. Let's all hope Ibrahim/Potts/Williams are ready to go in the fall!

Realistically, you can find RB's.

Just have to hope that '21 was an anomaly. In a typical year, you are not going to wind up going to #5 & #6 on the season-opening depth chart.

Top Bottom