Juwan Howard

Wisconsin athletics. As pure and innocent as the driven snow.

This statement is a big FU to Kevin Warren and the conference. I don't care about the athletic department paying the fine for him, Gard makes enough that he wouldn't notice if his check was $10,000 light anyway, but making a point of publicly challenging the discipline is wrong in my view. I understand why they did it with a new AD standing up for a coach some of the players haven't liked, but I have a hard time believing it would have been handled the same way if Jim Delany was still the commissioner and Alvarez was the AD.

This statement is a big FU to Kevin Warren and the conference. I don't care about the athletic department paying the fine for him, Gard makes enough that he wouldn't notice if his check was $10,000 light anyway, but making a point of publicly challenging the discipline is wrong in my view. I understand why they did it with a new AD standing up for a coach some of the players haven't liked, but I have a hard time believing it would have been handled the same way if Jim Delany was still the commissioner and Alvarez was the AD.
Agree, have to think the conference office was less than thrilled with the Wisconsin ADs statement.

Agree, have to think the conference office was less than thrilled with the Wisconsin ADs statement.
Conference should release the statement:
The 10k was supposed to be .4% of the coach’s yearly salary. Since wisconsin is paying it we will up it to 492k so it is .4% of their revenue for the year.

Anyone who took a swing for suspended, it's not a difficult concept. Nothing anyone did prior to Howard taking the first swing deserved a suspension. If the swing never happens no one is even talking about the skirmish at this point.
Not true. Howard grabbed Gards sweater at the chest and made a fist and twisted it. That's assault and deserved a suspension in and of itself. He's nuts.

Last edited:

Pretty good general statement, especially the part about someone is always going to be mad so just do the right thing for your school and don't worry about them.
I couldn't resist...

Depends on what you mean by "initiated" it. Howard spent the final minute of the game staring down the Badger bench, then cursed at Gard as he walked by in the handshake line.

It was upon the cursing that Gard grabbed Howard's arm I assume to tell him why he called the timeout and Howard was having none of it. Howard then grabbed Gard by the shirt with a double fist clinch and started swearing even more at him.

I mean we can talk all day long about Gard grabbing Howard, but the fact that prior to that Howard lowered his facemask and swore at Gard...to me that started it. People saying you can't grab a guy, well you shouldn't be trash talking and swearing at a guy, either. That was the root of the whole thing. Howard couldn't resist trash talking the opposing head coach as he walked by. All Howard had to do was walk by without saying anything, but he wasn't mature enough to hold back.

Then, Krabbenhoff escalated it by being the douche bag that he is.

Plenty of blame to go around, but Howard is lucky to have a job. The head coach cannot do what he did. And, the anger is misplaced. Don't press and there won't be any timeouts. Press as if there's still a competition, you can't be mad when the other team treats it like it is still a competition.

Howard is lucky he has a job today. He is lucky he is a legendary alum there. He is lucky he won a Big Ten title and had a nice recruiting class. If that were Tom Crean, who is on the seat at Georgia, for example, he would have been fired last night.
Did you even listen to the WKOW video? Howard is walking by, not even looking at Gard and says “I will remember this shit”…. Gard then grabs his arm and stops Howard from walking by. Howard raises his hands with the palms facing outward towards Gard, in a “whoa” type gesture and then Gard puts his hands on Howards chest and starts trying to lecture Howard. Howard then grabs a fistful of Gard shirt and says “don’t F‘ing touch me”. Gard then keeps yelling and grabbing at Howard.

Gard instigated the aggressive contact. Also, several assistants from UW are also yelling at Howard and then Krabbenhoff comes pushing in and yelling something that causes the guy with the B1G logo on his shirt to turn and push Krabbenhoff back.

Howard should never have slapped that guy, but Wisconsin is showing their true character just as they did when they support the cheap shots of their players. If they had any class, they would suspend that idiot that gave the gesture to the Michigan bench after the game.

The best part of this is the part where it says WI only tried to de-escalate the situation.
It is just another disgusting example of people not taking responsibility for their actions and just saying what they want others to believe.

The Michigan AD certainly had a better response.

Did you even listen to the WKOW video? Howard is walking by, not even looking at Gard and says “I will remember this shit”…. Gard then grabs his arm and stops Howard from walking by. Howard raises his hands with the palms facing outward towards Gard, in a “whoa” type gesture and then Gard puts his hands on Howards chest and starts trying to lecture Howard. Howard then grabs a fistful of Gard shirt and says “don’t F‘ing touch me”. Gard then keeps yelling and grabbing at Howard.

Gard instigated the aggressive contact. Also, several assistants from UW are also yelling at Howard and then Krabbenhoff comes pushing in and yelling something that causes the guy with the B1G logo on his shirt to turn and push Krabbenhoff back.

Howard should never have slapped that guy, but Wisconsin is showing their true character just as they did when they support the cheap shots of their players. If they had any class, they would suspend that idiot that gave the gesture to the Michigan bench after the game.
You do realize that had Juwan not thrown the slap/punch there would likely have been no suspensions of players or coaches and both teams likely would have left with MI having a sour taste in their mouths like happens for a lot of teams that are not happy with a game they lost. I understand the hatred for WI and Gard but let's not fool ourselves into thinking his antics were the major reason that led to the punches thrown by players and subsequent suspensions. Juwan's slap/punch is what ignited a volatile situation. Gard, Krabbenhoff, and Howard all made it volatile with their actions and behavior.

Obviously, the crotch jester by one of their assistant coaches must be an official school cheer routine. Such class….
I feel like UW could have painted the picture of the entire situation multiple different favorable ways... But when the gesture you mentioned happened, it completely changed/depleted any semblance of class that Wisco had remaining.

From there forward, any sentence that starts with "_______ from Michigan should not have ________" can be finished with the phrase "but, the Wisconsin guys really are d-bags and probably deserved it."

Example: "Juwan Howard from Michigan should not have hit Krabbenhoft, but, the Wisconsin guys really are d-bags and probably deserved it."

Pretty good general statement, especially the part about someone is always going to be mad so just do the right thing for your school and don't worry about them.
Awesome ! Thanks for sharing.

While not a fan of Michigan, I am rooting for Phil Martelli and the Wolverines to succeed in this 5 game stretch. Pretty good to have a 2nd in command like him.

I was shocked reading the Greg Gard has only 1 technical foul in his time at UW. I wonder how much that factored into any discipline from the Big Ten.

It is just another disgusting example of people not taking responsibility for their actions and just saying what they want others to believe.

The Michigan AD certainly had a better response.
Well, his guy did swing at someone and get slapped on the wrist.

Love to see the people who thought it was no big deal the Wayzata coach shoved a player and said we shouldn't rip on him, who then come on here to say Howard should be fired lol.
Can you point to one poster who fits this description?

Can you point to one poster who fits this description?
You are welcome to dig back through the threads. If you went on the thread and replied to my comment and referenced this one you could probably figure it out. I don't think you said fired in this thread, but fall into the same camp

You are welcome to dig back through the threads. If you went on the thread and replied to my comment and referenced this one you could probably figure it out. I don't think you said fired in this thread, but fall into the same camp
So let me get his straight, you make a claim that people on this thread wanted Howard fired and thought the Wayzata coach shoving the player was no big deal. Isn't that posting implying that you already did that digging? Why else would you make that claim without doing the digging. Clearly, I didn't do the digging or ever make a correlation between the Wayzata coach and Juwan Howard. You did.

I'd think anyone who would make that claim could name a poster off the top of their head.

As far as me, nope, your memory is off. Shocking. I actually did say Howard should be fired. I also said the Wayzata coach should be fired. For me, a coach getting physical with players or other coaches is always completely unacceptable and should cost you your job. Are you in the same boat?

So let me get his straight, you make a claim that people on this thread wanted Howard fired and thought the Wayzata coach shoving the player was no big deal. Isn't that posting implying that you already did that digging? Why else would you make that claim without doing the digging. Clearly, I didn't do the digging or ever make a correlation between the Wayzata coach and Juwan Howard. You did.

I'd think anyone who would make that claim could name a poster off the top of their head.

As far as me, nope, your memory is off. Shocking. I actually did say Howard should be fired. I also said the Wayzata coach should be fired. For me, a coach getting physical with players or other coaches is always completely unacceptable and should cost you your job. Are you in the same boat?
Dabbling in facts now? Can I not pull your card that I heard this from some random guy? I didn't say I couldn't name one, its called memory. Simply said you can dig it up and you named yourself lol. You asked a question you knew the answer to. Yeah I agree, Wayzata coach should be fired. I wasn't in the same camp as multiple people saying he should never coach again, I think he could maybe learn from it, take time off, and give it a go down the road. Could be unlikely given the environment we live in now.

The funny part to me is how people share what they conceive to be the most important issue/event when a scenario happens like the UM/UW game or Wayzata/Minnetonka. Gard and El-Amin are in comparable spots to me. Gard tried to grab a guy and talk it out when Howard told him to get lost, El-Amin talked a little trash to the Wayzata bench. We can characterize differently but both are somewhat similar occurrences, trash talking and grabbing someone to chat with who is upset. You chose to say poor Wayzata coach people are talking online about him, and I guess what is the difference between people doing that locally and people on a national scale doing that to Juwan? You had a nice piece about El Amin and his actions, what about Gard? I'm just saying be consistent man. That and your telepathy to know who El Amin was yelling at and Juwans state of mind/intent are interesting. Or did you hear that from someone off the board?

Also love pretending like you know everyone on here with the memory comment lol. We've maybe interacted once or twice before other than the Wayzata coach/El Amin thread? Can you substantiate or is that another one of the I make a claim and if you can't prove it false its true?

EDIT: I don't think our viewpoints are that far off from each other, I just disagree with the both sidesing it when we feel like it.

Top Bottom