Josh Martin to seek transfer from U

A dark time in Gopher history for sure.

This isn't scandal. This is a transfer for unknown reasons. Times have been much darker my friend. Sorry to see anyone jump ship on anything that quickly, though.

This isn't scandal. This is a transfer for unknown reasons. Times have been much darker my friend. Sorry to see anyone jump ship on anything that quickly, though.

I think the dark days Sparlimb was referring to was the Iron Five era and the incident that forced it to happen, not the Martin transfer.

I think the dark days Sparlimb was referring to was the Iron Five era and the incident that forced it to happen, not the Martin transfer.

my initial thought wasn't scandal related, but bodies related. we're a few injuries away from having to find another Winfield to walk on

I had heard he was upset with all the bad-mouthing his game was getting on GopherHole.

Finals week is approaching ad he just found out we don't have Jan Ganglehoff around anymore!

Obviously there's still a lot we don't know about why this happened but let me echo those who find this surprising based on his previous interviews and tweets. It seemed like Martin really was excited to be here. Regardless of the reason it's very disappointing.

The kid was entertaining in his enthusiasm for the U as a recruit, but it was way over the top. Symptom of living on the extremes. Call it what you want, but to go from that enthusiasm to bolting your team, your commitment, and a piece of your education with nary an explanation to those most affected says something is very wrong. Hopefully it's just a lack of maturity and not something deeper.

He set the program back big time. You eat up a scholarship and fill up a recruiting class, you owe it to the program to at least finish out the year. This kind of stuff is super $hitty of someone. He made a commitment to the team and he didn't even make it 5 months on campus.... That looks bad. Real bad.

i'm just as surprised as everyone about this but I don't see how finishing out the year helps us. Richard now has more time to recruit a possible replacement this year and you take what was likely a negative presence out of the locker room before conference play. Once the conference schedule starts we were only going to play 9 guys anyway and Martin wasn't likely to be on of those.

Gotcha. Misinterpreted "dark." Not quite to Iron Five yet though.

Was the UW gang rape the darkest days? The Ohio State Brawl? Or the Jan Ganglehoff cheating scandal?

There is a reason why last year's record was the best (officially) in program history!

Were any of the rest of you there when the "Iron Five" upset #10 Iowa and Sir Jamalot? That was awesome!

Was the UW gang rape the darkest days? The Ohio State Brawl? Or the Jan Ganglehoff cheating scandal?

There is a reason why last year's record was the best (officially) in program history!

could we have won a NC with Mychal, but denied due to probation? Vacating a final 4 is tough
but for me, having players pulled off a plane in Madison tops the list

It won't effect the rotation, but it will/could significantly effect the team.

You're probably right, as I don't know what question he is answering. However, this response is far from coach speak and far from what this coach had said just a few days ago about being short handed at practice and how depth was effecting the team. I don't think this is the typical response of any coach when he finds out he's got 9 scholarship athletes to work with.

Not wanting to be a grammar policeman here, but until you learn when to use "affect" in place of "effect", your otherwise good comments have lower credence.

Were any of the rest of you there when the "Iron Five" upset #10 Iowa and Sir Jamalot? That was awesome!

Yes and the first game back against Ohio State who was very good that year. Inspiring but sad at the same time. Put the program in the toilet for at least five years. The guys who hung in deserved the standing O's they got.

Not wanting to be a grammar policeman here, but until you learn when to use "affect" in place of "effect", your otherwise good comments have lower credence.

Seems like that's exactly what you're wanting to be, no?

could we have won a NC with Mychal, but denied due to probation? Vacating a final 4 is tough
but for me, having players pulled off a plane in Madison tops the list

Mychal's teams were on probation for selling tickets. Way below the level of these other incidents.

The worst part of the Madison indiscretion was he one Gopher player getting a champagne glass haircut to celebrate his acquittal! Classy!

Stop giving people holy hell for a stupid grammar mistake. And until you learn to include the comma inside the " " your otherwise giving of holy hell to GHers has even less credence.

Stop giving people holy hell for a stupid grammar mistake. And until you learn to include the comma inside the " " your otherwise giving of holy hell to GHers has even less credence.

Either usage is correct.

He missed the non stop drizzle. Who could blame him?

per Rand:

When you lose players in the manner the Gophers have lost them, however, it can harm long-term growth in two ways. First, the chance for immediate success is diminished. Second, the outside perception of the team can hurt recruiting. Opposing coaches use it as fodder against you. A fan base — fair or not, regardless of circumstances — starts to wonder what kinds of players are in the program if problems keep cropping up.

That doesn’t have to happen, of course. Pitino’s Gophers haven’t lost an irreplaceable player — yet. They still have plenty of talent and character to make the NCAA tournament and keep building the program. But Pitino and his players will have to battle depth and perception issues to make it happen, and how they pull through could have a hand in how the future plays out.

http://blog.startribune.com/sports/randball/tuesday-pitinos-biggest-test-edition-wha-happened

Go Gophers!!

Mychal's teams were on probation for selling tickets. Way below the level of these other incidents.

The worst part of the Madison indiscretion was he one Gopher player getting a champagne glass haircut to celebrate his acquittal! Classy!

You have your history a little wrong there even though you are on the right track. Mitch Lee was involved in an incident well before Madison. He got acquitted or charges were dropped in that one. Following that- he made the pitiful champagne glass move and showed up at a game that way. Dutcher sent him to the locker room for a shave if I recall correctly and didn't let him play that night. After the Madison incident, none of the players returned to play again at Minnesota.

The emphasis is on "effect". The comma separates the sentence. Dpo says both are correct, so who gives a rat phuck.

Is it wrong for me to wish that last year's big 3 all suffer from the same intense homesickness leading to a transfer back to MN?

The emphasis is on "effect". The comma separates the sentence. Dpo says both are correct, so who gives a rat phuck.

This thread rocks! I hope Josh is reading it and learning all about, punctuation, diction, Golden Gopher history, and amateur psychology.

Did I punctuate correctly?

Is it wrong for me to wish that last year's big 3 all suffer from the same intense homesickness leading to a transfer back to MN?

isn't that why we just happen to have 3 open schollies?

Top Bottom