Josh Martin to seek transfer from U

I missed this until they mentioned it on the the broadcast. This is surprising. Clearly he has a long way to go, but you're 8 games into your freshman year! This falls squarely on Richard.

We know next to nothing about the situation, so I'm curious as to how you've come to the bolded conclusion.

He set the program back big time. You eat up a scholarship and fill up a recruiting class, you owe it to the program to at least finish out the year. This kind of stuff is super $hitty of someone. He made a commitment to the team and he didn't even make it 5 months on campus.... That looks bad. Real bad.

I'm not sure I agree. If he was going to transfer, he did the program a favor by transferring now when there is still a lot of time left in the recruiting season. He wasn't playing much anyway. I hope Gaston is eligible in the spring semester but Buggs will just have to play more than expected and that's probably better than giving his minutes to someone who isn't ready to play at this level.

I missed this until they mentioned it on the the broadcast. This is surprising. Clearly he has a long way to go, but you're 8 games into your freshman year! This falls squarely on Richard.

Falls on Richard??? Bull schidt.

Damn, he clearly needs a lot of practice and decided to leave because we don't have a practice facility.

Kids today. I just don't understand them. Whatever happened to working hard and putting in your time? Everyone wants instant gratification nowadays.

My mommy told me to transfer because her baby wasn't the star.

Or maybe he thinks he is better than he is?

I have NO respect for a pup who pulls this crap. Bad luck wherever you go, Josh.

Let me get this straight. Criticism of players is allowed? Any hint of criticism of the head coach is not allowed? Got it.

+1 Good coaches have a way of keeping young players involved thru the learning periods.

-1 A lot of Bo Ryan's freshmen hardly ever get in the game their freshman year and you rarely see a player transfer out. And then many of those players go on to play significant minutes and sometimes even start when they are juniors and seniors.

Let me get this straight. Criticism of players is allowed? Any hint of criticism of the head coach is not allowed? Got it.

Ss... that was uncalled for. I give GH'ers total holy hell for criticizing the kids and this time, because of so many unknowns, I have a tendency to then criticize the kid. If I am proven wrong with FACTS, I will eat my words.

Situations such as this remind me of A.J. in football.

Why have you had such a hard on for me lately?

I wonder if we go after a graduate transfer big man. We're going to be thin down low next year.

-1 A lot of Bo Ryan's freshmen hardly ever get in the game their freshman year and you rarely see a player transfer out. And then many of those players go on to play significant minutes and sometimes even start when they are juniors and seniors.

True and they still lose big games every year. So I'm not in favor of playing ugly crappy and ultimately big game losing Bo Ryan basketball.

I'm down with him leaving because the practice facility is still 2 years away. He was looking forward to playing Xbox One under the waterfall while eating truffles in the new cafeteria.

Ss... that was uncalled for. I give GH'ers total holy hell for criticizing the kids and this time, because of so many unknowns, I have a tendency to then criticize the kid. If I am proven wrong with FACTS, I will eat my words.

Situations such as this remind me of A.J. in football.

Why have you had such a hard on for me lately?

It's the pants

I'm in the "don't over think this" camp. He's a kid...big dreams...away from home and with his play, he starts second guessing himself. Happens a lot all over the country. He's homesick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in the "don't over think this" camp. He's a kid...big dreams...away from home and with his play, he starts second guessing himself. Happens a lot all over the country. He's homesick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes +10001

We'd shorten the bench once B1G season starts anyway. We need a Juco/Grad Forward for next year that is all.

They'll manage. Marquette's been doing it all season with the tallest guy being 6'7".

Yeah and they lost to freaking Omaha and damn near lost to NJIT. Marquette is in for a rough year, especially when Carlino is your best player.

We know next to nothing about the situation, so I'm curious as to how you've come to the bolded conclusion.

Simply mean this is his recruit. Not someone brought in out of desperation like some of the prior year recruits. If he wasn't cut out to be this far away from home or whatever the reason is, Pitino's first 'real' recruit is a bust 7 games in. Hopefully it's a blip and not a trend.

True and they still lose big games every year. So I'm not in favor of playing ugly crappy and ultimately big game losing Bo Ryan basketball.

Emulating Bo Ryan wasn't my point. I was disagreeing with some in this thread that appeared to be saying that it's Pitino's job to keep players happy by spreading all the minutes around during blowouts. I think the bench players should have to earn their minutes in blowouts during practice. Play poorly all week during practice, watch other players get the blowout game minutes.

I think where Martin transfers could be a good indicator of what was going on. If he heads back to the Washington area, it's possible he was extremely homesick. If he goes JUCO or mid-major/low-major, then it's possible he couldn't handle the academics or competition. If he goes to some other high major, then maybe he just didn't like Pitino's system and how he was using him.

And then again, maybe someone with inside info will just tell us. :)

That's an underhanded jab from Pitino there.

You're projecting, winny. Please explain how Josh leaving changes Pitino's rotation. Martin was taking up space on the pines. I see nothing underhanded or a jab in Pitino's comment.

Gopher's Depth Chart after Martin transfer:

PG: Mathieu, Mason

SG: Hollins, Mason

SF: Morris, Buggs

PF: King, Kanote

C: Walker, Elliason

That's not bad. Looking at a 9 man rotation. That's the number I'd prefer to be at anyways. I honestly never though McNeil offered a whole lot outside depth. Hopefully Buggs can make his suspension obsolete. As for backing up the 4 position, it's pretty clear Martin wasn't getting the job done. So, all this means is that Kanote and Buggs will be seeing significant minutes going forward. Will Kanote and Buggs be able to play these positions in Big 10 play is the only concerning question

Gopher's Depth Chart after Martin transfer:

PG: Mathieu, Mason

SG: Hollins, Mason

SF: Morris, Buggs

PF: King, Kanote

C: Walker, Elliason

That's not bad. Looking at a 9 man rotation. That's the number I'd prefer to be at anyways. I honestly never though McNeil offered a whole lot outside depth. Hopefully Buggs can make his suspension obsolete. As for backing up the 4 position, it's pretty clear Martin wasn't getting the job done. So, all this means is that Kanote and Buggs will be seeing significant minutes going forward. Will Kanote and Buggs be able to play these positions in Big 10 play is the only concerning question

Buggs is tough on Iowa -we know that. :)

Emulating Bo Ryan wasn't my point. I was disagreeing with some in this thread that appeared to be saying that it's Pitino's job to keep players happy by spreading all the minutes around during blowouts. I think the bench players should have to earn their minutes in blowouts during practice. Play poorly all week during practice, watch other players get the blowout game minutes.

I think where Martin transfers could be a good indicator of what was going on. If he heads back to the Washington area, it's possible he was extremely homesick. If he goes JUCO or mid-major/low-major, then it's possible he couldn't handle the academics or competition. If he goes to some other high major, then maybe he just didn't like Pitino's system and how he was using him.

And then again, maybe someone with inside info will just tell us. :)

I assume you are right there. Someone with inside info will spill the beans in the next few days. I don't think it changes our team all that much for this year. What it does do is put the onus on the coaches who have 2 more open scholarships to fill. They better keep calling guys...

Has Gaston been admitted, will he be suiting up for next Friday's game, sure would like to see that.

Anyone that was at the intra squad scrimmage saw a player with a lot of potential, after the Iowa State scrimmage it sounded like he really played well, it takes time, you really can't evaluate the season until at least into February, to bad he wasn't patient enough to sit it out, he will end up at a high level Div 1 school that I am sure.

Top Bottom