Jide Abasiri de-commits

Honestly the best kids to recruit right now are good freshmen who are not on track to graduate early

They’re the only kids that have to stay committed for 3 years
NIL Era Moneyball.

Quite honestly it is what I would probably do. Why screw around with an unknown commodity? Let them go to JUCO, FCS or G5 and if they pan out, then grab them. They will have only themselves to blame when coaches stop coming around to swoon them.
I think we should dive into the JUCO ranks as well, I think JUCO is more overlooked now with the free transfers.

I think we should dive into the JUCO ranks as well, I think JUCO is more overlooked now with the free transfers.
We haven't had the best record of doing so and with the Portal allowing you to get guys that have played better competition, I don't see it becoming more than 1 player per year if any.

Being bedazzled by LA in 2023 is like being bedazzled by Atlantic City in 1997.
Except LA has nice weather, and probably thousands of cute gals on campus that aren't huddled in parkas half the year.

Except LA has nice weather, and probably thousands of cute gals on campus that aren't huddled in parkas half the year.
I'll give you the weather but i'll take the girls at most college campuses over USC. USC is essentially in South Central LA, it does not have a typical college campus feel. I think the campus many people envision when they think of a college in LA is UCLA or UCSB.

People really think a 3 star recruit thats near the bottom of a teams class is getting huge NIL amounts? I know everyone wants an excuse but really?
Not upfront, no. But I can almost guarantee you somebody whispers the amounts that established players earned or could earn. Every kid thinks he’ll become an All-American and get that, regardless of their star ranking. Still, Minnesota was losing recruits to the USCs of the world before NIL, so it’s likely not the biggest reason. LA, helmet school, Coliseum, etc. Not hard to figure.

Not upfront, no. But I can almost guarantee you somebody whispers the amounts that established players earned or could earn. Every kid thinks he’ll become an All-American and get that, regardless of their star ranking. Still, Minnesota was losing recruits to the USCs of the world before NIL, so it’s likely not the biggest reason. LA, helmet school, Coliseum, etc. Not hard to figure.
Coliseum is a dump

That road will take a lot of N I L money. It does work in some sports, just ask Wisconsin volleyball.

All the transfer portal and NIL have done is separate the haves from the have nots. Gopher football's super bowl has gone from the Big Ten Championship game to what: beating Iowa and wisconsin in the same season? Reality sucks sometimes.

Paging USC Song Girls

Also a good school and lots of $ connections there - they don’t call it the University of Spoiled Children for nothing - my buddy’s an alum.

We haven't had the best record of doing so and with the Portal allowing you to get guys that have played better competition, I don't see it becoming more than 1 player per year if any.
The problem is everyone is going for the portal guys, that’s why I’m thinking beating the bushes in the juco ranks could pay off. I don’t predict it will happen, I just think it would be a worthwhile strategy for geographically challenged programs where the high school talent pool is limited.

Tough to beat SoCal in December and the show they put on for kids. Its not NIL, its glamour. I wonder if the NDSU coach who is leaving for a job there had some influence? Grass is greener for now at USC.

I'll give you the weather but i'll take the girls at most college campuses over USC. USC is essentially in South Central LA, it does not have a typical college campus feel. I think the campus many people envision when they think of a college in LA is UCLA or UCSB.
I know where the campus is. It's like a lot of urban campuses that aren't surrounded by the best neighborhoods. Marquette comes to mind. Still, for a young guy, living out there wouldn't be so bad.

I know where the campus is. It's like a lot of urban campuses that aren't surrounded by the best neighborhoods. Marquette comes to mind. Still, for a young guy, living out there wouldn't be so bad.
Also, USC literally has a wall around it. Very nice campus. Aside from the name and some decorations, the stadium is still outdated, albeit with great tailgating.

I mean you don’t think the coeds on USC are like … hoods, just because the campus itself is located there?

UCLA is nicknamed “University of Caucasians Lost among Asians”. I guess it’s great if you love Asians!

Also, USC literally has a wall around it. Very nice campus. Aside from the name and some decorations, the stadium is still outdated, albeit with great tailgating.
Didn’t they do a massive renovation a few years ago?

Went to the game there when we played them during the Kill era and it was no big deal; in my experience, some folks are less comfortable in urban environs where they’re in the minority.

Last edited:

That’d be Prime Time, and he’s right. No sense recruiting high schoolers and coach them for a year or two just to have them leave when they’re getting ready to play.
Kinda, Prime will flush a portal transfer the next year for another new portal transfer. He is not interested in developing anyone.

That leads to a hired gun culture with no loyalty or passion for the team or teammates.

Didn’t they do a massive renovation a few years ago
I had forgotten about that. I was last there a year or two before they started the renovations. Just watched a video of the completed stadium and it looks like they did a great job.

Kinda, Prime will flush a portal transfer the next year for another new portal transfer. He is not interested in developing anyone.

That leads to a hired gun culture with no loyalty or passion for the team or teammates.
I'm not sure he cares about developing anyone as I think he's only there short-term. I'd be shocked if he's still coaching anywhere five years from now.

As for the hired gun culture, it remains to be seen, but if it works, and he can win with it, we may see a lot more of it.

Prime didn't create the hired gun culture in college football. He is just working it, like all coaches will need to do to survive.

Prime didn't create the hired gun culture in college football. He is just working it, like all coaches will need to do to survive.
We will see, Colorado was 4-8 this year. They were lucky to win that many.

Top Bottom