Is the Indiana program doing better than Minnesota?

Quick answer is yes, but that’s not a bad thing either. They are doing really well.

Allen has made m
Quick answer is yes, but that’s not a bad thing either. They are doing really well.
Hard to say.
This year indiana certainly better
Last year Minnesota better.
2018 Minnesota better.
2017 equal
2016 Minnesota better
2015 equal

So indiana has been better in 1 of the last 6 seasons.
Minnesota has been Better in 3 of the last 6.

Minnesota’s best season is essentially the same quality as Indiana’s best. Minnesota was probably 3rd in the conference last year. Indiana probably second. But nationally they’ll finish equal.

Indiana’s worst season worse than Minnesota’s worst in this stretch.

it brings me back to a point I’ve made in many threads. Both teams have good coaches. I think there are at least 11 solid coaches in the big ten right now.

I'm not sure how much stock we should place on this year's results, especially in the Big Ten West. Right now, I would say Iowa is the best team. If they had a rematch with Purdue and Northwestern, I certainly wouldn't vote against them. But, then again, given the way this season has gone, it wouldn't surprise me to see them lay an egg against Wisconsin.

I'm not sure how much stock we should place on this year's results, especially in the Big Ten West. Right now, I would say Iowa is the best team. If they had a rematch with Purdue and Northwestern, I certainly wouldn't vote against them. But, then again, given the way this season has gone, it wouldn't surprise me to see them lay an egg against Wisconsin.
You can’t put stock in any results this year:
We have no idea who is available and unavailable for practices and games.
We have no idea when changes occurred that impacted practice and game plan. Losing a guy on a Monday is a lot easier than losing a guy on a Saturday morning.
We have no idea who has what going on behind the scenes.

I think that the standings show pretty well what is going on in the big ten.
Ohio state is a top 10 team.
Indiana is a top 20 team.

everyone else including even Rutgers, northwestern, Iowa, and Wisconsin is probably in the 21-60 range and could beat one another on a given day.

They and Allen are sure getting the media love....

Last year at 8 or 9-0 or whatever the run was, we certainly didn't get that level of attention.

They and Allen are sure getting the media love....

Last year at 8 or 9-0 or whatever the run was, we certainly didn't get that level of attention.
I’d say we did. There were just more storylines to compete with last year.

Texas A&M who has been out of contention for their division since Oct 3 is the 5th ranked team in the country right now. This is truly a boring season.

back to the OP question:

as of today, Yes, Indiana is doing better than MN. 8-5 last year, 1 loss this year. that is a program that appears to be trending updward.

Gophers appear to be trending downward. Unless you say "2020 doesn't count because of covid, et al."

But, as of today, Indiana is doing better. as others have noted, we'll see what happens next year.

But, I will also note that Indiana just won a key game playing their backup QB. what would happen if MN was in the same situation? That would be interesting to see - might also be really messy.....

back to the OP question:

as of today, Yes, Indiana is doing better than MN. 8-5 last year, 1 loss this year. that is a program that appears to be trending updward.

Gophers appear to be trending downward. Unless you say "2020 doesn't count because of covid, et al."

But, as of today, Indiana is doing better. as others have noted, we'll see what happens next year.

But, I will also note that Indiana just won a key game playing their backup QB. what would happen if MN was in the same situation? That would be interesting to see - might also be really messy.....
Some people are not so hot on Morgan this year ..... *ducks from flying chairs*

back to the OP question:

I was under the impression that Minnesota does not have a backup QB on the roster.

back to the OP question:

I don’t say how you can say gophers are trending downward?
If you look at a 2 year stretch yes. But comparing one year to another isn’t really a trend.
If Indiana goes 7-5 next year will they be “trending downward”

Yes. Plus they are in a much better recruiting area. You have to love Allen as a coach.

Going by 24/7 team rankings, they finished 2 spots ahead of us in 2019. We are ahead for 2020 though.
We out recruit them most of the time if you go back further.

Let’s see how they look when Michigan and psu aren’t having historically bad years. I still think we have the better program over the next few years and beyond.

Yes. Plus they are in a much better recruiting area. You have to love Allen as a coach.
It hasn’t shown up yet for Indiana or Purdue as far as recruiting rankings. Still gotta beat out ND, Michigan, and OSU in the area.

Some people are not so hot on Morgan this year ..... *ducks from flying chairs*
Morgan is legit and earned his role. I do think Annexstad should of had a chance at the end of the Iowa game without creating controversy.

Let’s see how they look when Michigan and psu aren’t having historically bad years. I still think we have the better program over the next few years and beyond.
Sure. But then why wasn't IU down? How did IU, and of course OSU, manage to stay up while Mich and PSU were down?

We will see, of course. And of course, Michigan has that same 1990's cachet that Nebraska still somehow continues to have. They'll continue to get higher rated recruits than IU, just like Nebraska will probably (sadly) continue to get higher rated recruits than us.

Sure. But then why wasn't IU down? How did IU, and of course OSU, manage to stay up while Mich and PSU were down?

We will see, of course. And of course, Michigan has that same 1990's cachet that Nebraska still somehow continues to have. They'll continue to get higher rated recruits than IU, just like Nebraska will probably (sadly) continue to get higher rated recruits than us.
Someone has to be up. They have a solid squad with a lot of veteran players. I’m very skeptical of it lasting with such a huge schism in recruiting.

Someone has to be up.
I think people forget that. The big ten is always going to have at least 4 ranked teams.
Indiana is one of 4 teams with a great record. The big ten is really strange this year. A lot of parity.
Ohio state = very good team
Indiana, northwestern, and Iowa = above average to good teams

everyone else = below average

I would say this is a really down year for the big ten

Someone has to be up. They have a solid squad with a lot of veteran players. I’m very skeptical of it lasting with such a huge schism in recruiting.
I agree. People also forget about confidence and understanding that these are young adults playing.

What if's:

Penn State beat Indiana. Would they be where they are right now?
Wisconsin had played 2 games in 5 weeks. Maryland was coming off of a two week break when they played Indiana. Indiana has had no interruptions in their season and they are taking advantage of it.

Last year: What would have happened if the Gopher dropped the two non-conference games?

Each season is on it's own merit. Indiana making a great season and MN did it last year. This year will be the 10th Big Ten title game and only 7 of the 14 teams have played in the game. If OSU makes the game, WI and OSU will have made up 60% of the berths in the game. Other's making the game are all pretty much one hit great seasons.

I think people forget that. The big ten is always going to have at least 4 ranked teams.
Indiana is one of 4 teams with a great record. The big ten is really strange this year. A lot of parity.
Ohio state = very good team
Indiana, northwestern, and Iowa = above average to good teams

everyone else = below average

I would say this is a really down year for the big ten
Wisconsin is a really good team, that has nothing to play for. They lost 3 games in 4 weeks due to cancellations. COVID has truly affected how the Big Ten played out.

Wisconsin is a really good team, that has nothing to play for. They lost 3 games in 4 weeks due to cancellations. COVID has truly affected how the Big Ten played out.

Wisconsin might be out of the Big Ten title picture for this year due to Covid but I don't think they just phoned it in against Indiana. The reality is that Indiana has a really good team this year. They went toe to toe with Ohio State.

That COVID has affected the Big Ten and all of College Football is unarguable. That Wisconsin is a really good team? They aren't. They are 2-2 and they've earned that record.

They crushed two bad teams, that are now both 2-4. They lost to two teams, NW and Indy, that are a combined 11-2. They are both good teams. Yes, right now much better than the U. In those losses the Badgers scored a combined 13 points.

Could they have been a really good team? Sure. Just like Penn State, Michigan and yeah the Gophers, they were ranked in the Pre-Season Top 25. Then COVID happened. Then they started to play the games.

Everybody has had to deal with COVID, so take that away. Then all you have to go by is their record.

They are 2-2. That's not even good.

Last edited:

Wisconsin beating Illinois when Illinois decided to not cover the tight end position the whole game led to both Mertz and Wisconsin being very overrated this year. If we played a 12 game schedule Wisconsin is a 7-8 win team.
Not a 10-11 win team.

they’re mediocre like the whole big ten outside of Ohio state.

Optics matter. Indiana just won a big game, and after the game, players kept crashing Allen's live TV interview to proclaim him the best coach in the country. Players were happy and looked like they were having fun. (not to mention the fact that Indiana won with their backup QB).

That is a recruiting gold mine. Team is winning games, and the players seem to love the coach. Give me 15 minutes and I could edit that into a heck of a recruiting video.

Sure, next year could be different. Gophers could be better and Indiana could take a downturn.

but right now - today - Indiana looks a whole lot better than the Gophers.

The season is disappointing, some of the defensive position recruiting gaps are frustrating, i still think Simon was the better answer at OC and our secondary play has bewildered me.

Those things aside, 11-2 happened. You can find ways to pick on it all you want, but it was fucking phenomenal and easily the most memorable season of any in my 35 years or so of paying attention. PJ has the right attitude, he has so much energy and he (by all accounts) does things with high character. Perfect? Hell no. He's made some weird clock and field position decisions, but the kinds of things he has fucked up on are typically the kinds of things i can live with. Zero off field concerns - that can't be overstated. We have freshmen here this year and coming in next that look like athletes and actually rate that way. I think really 2022 will probably give us a good idea of what's realistic here. I still see the long game with this football team and PJ's vision, and nothing happening this year really worries me for our trajectory. Gophers haven't done much for shit for most of the last 60 years, fans might be asking for a lot really quick. That's ok though, that's what 11-2 does to you.

Love and appreciate Tanner, but he's a throwback QB. Whenever he does leave, the Gophers are about to join the rest of the country and the evolving sport in general and open up their offense with a multi-dimensional athlete there. It will change so much about how the Gophers play offense. Right now this year kind of reminds me of the last few painful years of watching the Vikings outdated Tampa 2 defense suck it up all over the NFL, but it is what it is and I still think we'll get there.

I don't care what Indiana is doing, good luck to them, i like our team. :)

What does the last part (bolded) mean??

Top Bottom