Is the Indiana program doing better than Minnesota?

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Allen is 23-21 in his fourth year, 14-19 in the conference; Fleck is 25-18 overall in his fourth year, 14-18 in the conference. This year Indiana looks better than the Gophers.

Interesting topic - thanks for posting. To early to tell for me.

I think their year, especially factoring in the COVIDness of it, is comparable to our last season.

I think the next 2-3 year will tell the tale.

I like him; he seems like a genuine, nice guy - great addition to the conference - Anti-Braham - and a heck of a coach.

I also love any coach who can make it more difficult for OSU in their division.

Allen is 23-21 in his fourth year, 14-19 in the conference; Fleck is 25-18 overall in his fourth year, 14-18 in the conference. This year Indiana looks better than the Gophers.
I like Indiana, there's never been any consistency there since i've been a gopher fan and really like their coach and how the team carries itself.

I agree with NYC, the next 2 years to me will tell us more, but with Allen being there since 2016, he definitely has passed year zero, so I would say they could be for real.

I just made more money betting on Indiana (in 2020 dollars) than my parents paid to go to college there (in 1970 dollars)

Their defensive coordinator should be very popular for head coaching gigs

A quick check shows when Allen took overit had been 10 years since IU won > 6 games and over 25 years since they’d won a bowl. In addition, IU has to play OSU, PSU and Mich every year. I’d say the situation Allen stepped into is way more difficult than Fleck’s.

I just made more money betting on Indiana (in 2020 dollars) than my parents paid to go to college there (in 1970 dollars)

Their defensive coordinator should be very popular for head coaching gigs

Congrats!

Did you double your fun by taking the under also?

If I can ask, which platform do you use and why do you like that one?

Congrats!

Did you double your fun by taking the under also?

If I can ask, which platform do you use and why do you like that one?

I did not take the under, I was using my free $1K bet from Fanduel. But my theory was that Indiana would win with defense, not by outscoring.

I like Indiana, there's never been any consistency there since i've been a gopher fan and really like their coach and how the team carries itself.

I agree with NYC, the next 2 years to me will tell us more, but with Allen being there since 2016, he definitely has passed year zero, so I would say they could be for real.
I like Indiana as well. Both PJ and Allen seem to have great support from their players. We ended last year with a good win and Indiana had the heartbreaking loss to TN later that night. Maybe that lit more of a fire in their belly coming into this crazy year. Allen does appear to be less polarizing with fellow BIG coaches than PJ. I do think PJ is the right guy for us.

I like Indiana as well. Both PJ and Allen seem to have great support from their players. We ended last year with a good win and Indiana had the heartbreaking loss to TN later that night. Maybe that lit more of a fire in their belly coming into this crazy year. Allen does appear to be less polarizing with fellow BIG coaches than PJ. I do think PJ is the right guy for us.

He/They are a good comp for us to benchmark ourselves against going forward. Funny, as the more obviously options/choices would have seemed to be Brohm/Purdue and Frosty/Nebby.

Hasn't Indiana been out-recruiting us?

IU is solidly the 2nd best team in the conference this year. After what MSU did to NW, I have no doubt that IU would beat them.

IU played OSU the toughest as well.

This year is just so tough to gauge anything .... but sorry to say, yes IU is above us this year. Will that say anything about 2021? Don't know.

Hey, would be great to have Gophers vs IU championship game in 21!

IU is solidly the 2nd best team in the conference this year. After what MSU did to NW, I have no doubt that IU would beat them.

IU played OSU the toughest as well.

This year is just so tough to gauge anything .... but sorry to say, yes IU is above us this year. Will that say anything about 2021? Don't know.

Hey, would be great to have Gophers vs IU championship game in 21!

Minnesota has no chance to get to get to the Big Ten title game next year. Be lucky to even be .500 or a bowl.

He/They are a good comp for us to benchmark ourselves against going forward. Funny, as the more obviously options/choices would have seemed to be Brohm/Purdue and Frosty/Nebby.
Agree. Brohm was definitely the one PJ was benchmarked against and the after game handshakes are great. I think Brohm actively pursuing other options has hurt Purdue. Not impressed with Frost, but if he keeps bringing in good talent he could be successful. Allen seems to have best traits of PJ and Kill in his personality. Appears to be old school while also flamboyant.

Please approve a two best teams title game, no East/West necessary in 2020.

It's hard to say. This would have been their sneaky year to be good. They're a veteran laden team. We'll see just how good they are in 1-2 years pending if these guys come back

They were asking the same question about us this time last year. Until they do it year in and year out, they are no better than us nor we them. We are on parallel paths though and it will be interesting to see which one of us solidifies into a consistent winner and threat. I like our chances better since we are in the west.

Just speculation, but if either Fleck or Allen has sustained success, it's going to be a hell of a lot harder to get Allen to leave his current position.

I rate them at this point as.

1. Fleck
2. Allen
3. Frost
4. Brohm

Brohm is last in recruiting and lost a bunch of opt outs this week. I also don’t think he wants to be at Purdue

Frost is really trying to put his culture in place should have some time to do it. His recruiting looks good.

Allen was perfect IU hire. If he can have a season like this every 3-5 years he will be there as long as he wants.

Fleck I’m just a homer.

I think Brohm is the only bad fit.

1. Fleck
2. Allen
3. Frost
4. Brohm

Brohm is last in recruiting and lost a bunch of opt outs this week. I also don’t think he wants to be at Purdue

Frost is really trying to put his culture in place should have some time to do it. His recruiting looks good.

Allen was perfect IU hire. If he can have a season like this every 3-5 years he will be there as long as he wants.

Fleck I’m just a homer.

Good post.

1. Fleck
2. Allen
3. Frost
4. Brohm

Fleck I’m just a homer.

Surprised people seem to think Brohm wants out of Purdue. He just turned down the job at Louisville where he played QB.

Just speculation, but if either Fleck or Allen has sustained success, it's going to be a hell of a lot harder to get Allen to leave his current position.
Really? I think Allen would be more likely to leave based solely on the difficulty of trying to battle the big 3 every year.

Really? I think Allen would be more likely to leave based solely on the difficulty of trying to battle the big 3 every year.
Yep, much better to be a coach in the Legends Division vs the East Division

Allen's an Indiana native with super strong ties to IU. He's the epitome of local guy makes good. Guys like him are the reason the likes of Tony Dungy, Mark Trestman, Cory Sauter and Mike Grant will inevitably get mentioned whenever there is speculation on who the next Gopher coach will be.

This year, yes, yes they are. Last year, no. Next year? Who knows?

Allen's an Indiana native with super strong ties to IU. He's the epitome of local guy makes good. Guys like him are the reason the likes of Tony Dungy, Mark Trestman, Cory Sauter and Mike Grant will inevitably get mentioned whenever there is speculation on who the next Gopher coach will be.
That makes sense, didn’t realize he was an Indiana native. Looks like he even coached at Ben Davis H.S. part of the time Marquise Gray was there.

Too early, I guess. But I do know that after perusing the Badger fan forum, Buckyville is now annoyed with Allen as much as they are with Fleck, so that added misery for them means something.

Top Bottom