Is Phil Miller from Wisconsin?

He wasn't a starting OL....which is what I was clearly talking about. He was a "reserve" lineman. The point is, he was so good of an offensive lineman that he was Wisconsin's 6th best, but good enough to make the Dallas Cowboys. He was a reserve OL who wore #89 for a dozen plays a game as a TE.

What this amounts to, is that Wisconsin chooses and develops OL to a point where a kid on an internet message board claiming Tyler Marz is a project, is silly talk. Typical talk when the discussion can't be directed at the Minnesota program having the ability to actually beat Wisconsin's football team between the lines....where it actually matters.

Blah, blah, blah. He was a starter. Period. Cannot be argued against. And he not only is going to make the Cowboys roster, he is probably going to start for them, just like he did for Wisconsin.

Also, as I've already said, no coach/team/program/etc. is infallible. Marz might turn out to be pretty good, might be decent, might be terrible, might suck. There's no way that any of us know at this point.

Looking at Tyler Marz, you see a potential OT. Unless he has put on a bunch of weight since basketball season (last time I saw him) he is still somewhere around 290. That is not an OT. He needs to put on weight to be a D1 OT (which he definitely has the frame to do). That is why I called him a project. Also I wasn't sure what the blocking scheme at Wisconsin is like, but I know here he blocked mainly DEs which at Class A is someone that is maybe 6 foot 180, not someone I see him blocking at Wisconsin.

The implication is clearly there is conflicting evidence. That doesn't exist for the other players. What isn't conflicting, is that Wisconsin is better than Minnesota at football. Right?;)

I would have given Brewster a lifetime contract if he'd punched out Bielema at midfield last year...and a statue commemerating the punch outside TCF for all eternity.

My only disappointment with how Bielema handled the game last year was not 'fessing to the fact that he did it to rub Brewster's nose in it. I would have much preferred the Woody Hayes "because I couldn't go for three" answer to why he went for 2 when up 25.

Looking at Tyler Marz, you see a potential OT. Unless he has put on a bunch of weight since basketball season (last time I saw him) he is still somewhere around 290. That is not an OT. He needs to put on weight to be a D1 OT (which he definitely has the frame to do). That is why I called him a project. Also I wasn't sure what the blocking scheme at Wisconsin is like, but I know here he blocked mainly DEs which at Class A is someone that is maybe 6 foot 180, not someone I see him blocking at Wisconsin.

Zambam....I can see you are new to college football and recruiting. It is far from uncommon that kids high school weight is not their weight even by fall camp their true freshman year. I can't speak for Marz and what he is up to now. But if he's anything like a good 75% of UW's OL prospects of the last couple decades, his weight is no issue. Joe Thomas was a 250 lb TE/DE/FB/WR/LB recruit that UW made a left tackle by the following fall. He's now in the NFL dominanting. How big Tyler Marz was his senior year of high school has no use in the discussion of his status as a project.

Gabe Carimi was 6'7" and 285 pounds as an incoming freshman and I think that turned out ok for everyone involved.

That aside, I think that looking at the recruiting battles for Minnesota products only underscores what Kill says in the story. He needs to lock down the MN players (much as Wisconsin has done with their homegrown talent) to be successful. If he can get the percentage up to 80-90% of the MN kids choosing the Gophers, he'll be in much better shape.

I'm not arguing that Nagy was or wasn't a starter. Just that he wasn't a starter at offensive line - the original statement was that he was a reserve OL. He was a reserve offensive lineman that they used to mash a few plays a game. Should be pretty easy to understand.

Why are you here? I'd rather be dead that be caught trolling at buckygloryhole.com.

Here to talk UW football. Why else? If there are threads to discuss UW football anywhere, I enjoy to join in. I'll stay as long as you guys want to talk UW football.

I understand not wanting to post on Buckyville. When your team's play on the field is as awful as Minnesota's is, there really is nothing to say. That doesn't stop some of the Gopher clowns from visiting, including the guy who started this thread.

Here to talk UW football. Why else? If there are threads to discuss UW football anywhere, I enjoy to join in. I'll stay as long as you guys want to talk UW football.

I understand not wanting to post on Buckyville. When your team's play on the field is as awful as Minnesota's is, there really is nothing to say. That doesn't stop some of the Gopher clowns from visiting, including the guy who started this thread.

Lucky for you, there are threads about Wisky football you can talk about. They're over on buckyville- so get off our board and go talk your wisky football there with the people that care. One clown frequently visits bucky from what I hear (rupie) although I have never dare vertured over there and he has been called out on this very thread for doing so.
I don't go over there and brag about Minnesota's National Championships, so don't come over here and blabber on about wisconsin football players.

6>0

This is entertaining stuff watching BIOV and DPodd argue over whether Nagy was a starter.

Unless the Cowboys drafted him a 4th string jumbo tight end, he was not a starter at the position he was drafted for.

Not that it matters, but it is entertaining watching DPodd go. If the sky being green was bad for the Badgers, DPodd would go to his grave arguing the sky is green.

And people don't understand why Badgers fans read this board. Unreal.

This is entertaining stuff watching BIOV and DPodd argue over whether Nagy was a starter.

Unless the Cowboys drafted him a 4th string jumbo tight end, he was not a starter at the position he was drafted for.

Not that it matters, but it is entertaining watching DPodd go. If the sky being green was bad for the Badgers, DPodd would go to his grave arguing the sky is green.

We can all agree that he wasn't a much of a starter for what he was drafted for. What dpo is saying is (and I agree with) is that he was a starter nonetheless. BIOV said he was a reserve. He was not a reserve. He was a tight end.

it is a well known fact (at least on this board) that there is a conspiracy amongst the national and local media out to get the Gophers.

No doubt. And if only the Vikings would move to LA, the media wouldn't do things like this, they'd be so in love with the Gophers! And they wouldn't have room in the Sports section for this Bucky fawning. Oh wait...

People, it's about being balanced. 100 percent Gopher coverage 100 percent of the time would be doing the readers a disservice. Why can't the writers craft a respectful article about the Badgers? Wisconsin has had a strong football record over the last 10-12 years or so. Remember, they are not fans of the Gophers, they are writers...there is a huge difference. Personally, I'd like for my local sports writers to be neutral and objective not "rah, rah" all the time.

People understand, it's obvious that you are internet trolls who have horrible lives. Only people who are lacking somewhere in reality would feel the need to troll a college football team like the Gophers. That part is obvious.

1440-644.jpg

Might be in Prairie Du Sac

I just looked at the Strib iPad app and tomorrow's stories have been loaded.

There is a story about former Badger and former Vikings QB Brooks Bollinger. Even though he is a new first year head high school coach at Hill-Murray, I'm sure somebody will claim this is more of a Badger agenda at the paper (yes my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek). Or else we will get somebody on an anti- private schools rant.

I just looked at the Strib iPad app and tomorrow's stories have been loaded.

There is a story about former Badger and former Vikings QB Brooks Bollinger. Even though he is a new first year head high school coach at Hill-Murray, I'm sure somebody will claim this is more of a Badger agenda at the paper (yes my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek). Or else we will get somebody on an anti- private schools rant.

Glad I haven't been here for the anti-private school rants. Lol.

My only disappointment with how Bielema handled the game last year was not 'fessing to the fact that he did it to rub Brewster's nose in it. I would have much preferred the Woody Hayes "because I couldn't go for three" answer to why he went for 2 when up 25.

I have the apparent unpopular opinion of it's completely ok to 'run up the score' because I was raised and coached to always play hard. My issue with BB was his stupid as hell excuse "it's in the coaching card". Riiiiight. Yeah, it sucked getting steamrolled by my most hated team in the history of hated teams. But at least I know I won't go back eating my words later when my team is the one steamrolling some fools.

And to add.. I don't blame Brew for being mad at BB. If I were the coach I would be mad as well. Playing hard / 'running up the score' and going for 2 when your up by 25 points in the 4th quarter are two completely different things. To add insult to injury, Burt gives us the lamest ass excuse in the world.

I have the apparent unpopular opinion of it's completely ok to 'run up the score' because I was raised and coached to always play hard. My issue with BB was his stupid as hell excuse "it's in the coaching card". Riiiiight. Yeah, it sucked getting steamrolled by my most hated team in the history of hated teams. But at least I know I won't go back eating my words later when my team is the one steamrolling some fools.
That was my issue too. If he was sticking it to Brew and owned up to it (aka: pulled a Harbaugh) then it's part of the rivalry. But when he tried to play it off and came up with a lame excuse...no, that won't play.

That was my issue too. If he was sticking it to Brew and owned up to it (aka: pulled a Harbaugh) then it's part of the rivalry. But when he tried to play it off and came up with a lame excuse...no, that won't play.

Frankly, I always took it that Bielema had so little respect for Brewster that he didn't bother thinking through his answer. He just didn't care what Brew thought and wanted to get on to the next question, so he threw out some stupid coach-speak. It was pretty obvious that he went for it because 1) he didn't like Brewster and 2) he could.

Frankly, I always took it that Bielema had so little respect for Brewster that he didn't bother thinking through his answer. He just didn't care what Brew thought and wanted to get on to the next question, so he threw out some stupid coach-speak. It was pretty obvious that he went for it because 1) he didn't like Brewster and 2) he could.

Well, it was pretty obvious that Bielema should have gone for more 2-point conversions last year as the only one that mattered you guys blew and in doing so lost to a mid-major.

Go Gophers!!

Well, it was pretty obvious that Bielema should have gone for more 2-point conversions last year as the only one that mattered you guys blew and in doing so lost to a mid-major.

Losing to a mid-major in the Rose Bowl made it a very terrible season for UW...umm no. Just wait until the Gophers make it to Pasadena. They even show the games in color now, unlike the last time they were there.

They even show the games in color now, unlike the last time they were there.

What a dumbass. The irony of your statement is that the 1962 Rose Bowl (Minnesota 21, UCLA 3) was the first college football game in history to be broadcast in color to a national audience. Oops.

What a dumbass. The irony of your statement is that the 1962 Rose Bowl (Minnesota 21, UCLA 3) was the first college football game in history to be broadcast in color to a national audience. Oops.

BOX

The heart of the issue.. the coverage in the STrib. As others have posted I think it's BS the amount of real estate Wisconsin was given in a Minnesota and Twin-Cities based paper. A B1G preview (even a series) should give more or less equal attention to all the other schools and not highlight any of them. Nebraska does make sense to show off a little more as a "get-to-know-you in the B1G" but anyone else should more or less be the basics. Especially when it's our (arguably) biggest rival across all major sports and we fight them for recruits, fight them in the teams 'standings, and fight them for public opinion. There is nothing wrong with a newspaper slightly favoring the home team and highlighting their accomplishments while (fairly) calling out their misgivings. To be fair, the STrib has had a LOT of coverage for the Gophers as of late - praising articles for Kill, camp coverage, player interviews, the list goes on whereas in the past much of this was very lacking.

Did the STrib run a full-page, front and center article on the Packers season preview? Did they do the same for the Tigers/White Sox? The other way around.. did the Chicago Tribune do a full-1st page preview of the Twins since we were the div champs last year? The Reds or Cardinals? No, they absolutely covered the Cubs and White Sox with due coverage somewhere on the other teams.

Complaining/whining about this is an indicator of the overall feeling that being a Gopher fan, even in this state, is viewed as humorous or pointless by many, in addition to the fact that kids aren't looked down on or "written off/forgotten" for leaving for WI or other rivals due to the media coverage and love they receive. It's not an unfounded insecurity - the cycle of the sports teams not doing well and poor media coverage - lack of coverage, negative coverage (Reusse, pre-2011 KFAN, etc), or positive rival coverage - helps feed the public perception of our hometown team and it's not unwarranted for a Gopher fan to wish that at least one of them would change (the easier of the 2).

Rail baron,

The Strib absolutely previews teams in other sports. For two years they actually had Judd Zulgad live in Green Bay during the season and cover the Packers.

Good trivia, but you got the point. The fact that it was the first game to be shown in color almost makes it worse. Quick question, what percentage of the Gopher fans on this board were even alive the last time they made the Rose Bowl? I've only seen four Badger Rose Bowls since my freshman year (fall of 1993 by the way).

Top Bottom