Is Phil Miller from Wisconsin?

Wisconsin story in Star Tribune: Huge pictures/logos/splash all over the front page of the sports section; 1,158 words; in a market where the Vadgers recruit heavily and will no doubt make at least some impression on recruits and public opinion

Minnesota story in Chicago Tribune: No pictures or logos; 399 words; in the middle/back of the sports section; in a market where the Gophers have recruited very little and where it will make little or no difference in recruiting

Yup, they're the same.
Counting words in the newspapers while waiting for "de plane" to come in Mr Detective?

Its just the old, lets play the victim, everyone hates on the Gophers angle again. Its instinct to some people. I guess for the Big Ten previews instead of previewing the best teams we should just spend all our time previewing Indiana and Illinois next year....but then them people will still whine...

Its a Tuesday morning paper for god sakes....noone gets the Tuesday morning paper. There is a reason why the big Gray article was on Sunday....when papers are at least somewhat relevant.

it is a well known fact (at least on this board) that there is a conspiracy amongst the national and local media out to get the Gophers.

Timmy was wrong again. Bielema is actually an arrogant buffoon.

Then again if BB was Warren Buffett, Timmy would be Warren Buffoon.

Quit with the spellcheck BS. "bafoon" or "buffoon". In any persons language Bielema is a classless jerk.

Copying and pasting into Word is really hard.

Go piss up a rope.

For a poster to keep referencing something that happened almost a year ago, yet has only been posting here for the past week just screams "previously banned" and coming back like a jilted lover with a new name.

I don't think there is at all at conspiracy out there to get the U. I think the dynamics of the TC market don't do the Gophers many favors (in some areas). I will say that i've never been in another market that caters more to rivals than the Twin Cities. This, presumably, has a lot to do with amount of interlopers who have moved to the area. It also has to do with those two schools (Bucky and Iowa (also the Packers)) having such die hard fans that while their numbers aren't as high in the TC, there market power is higher because of that intensity.

Hopefully, winning takes care of some of that. I don't think it will take care of everything simply because those people will still be here and they'll keep coming to MN.

If I was blind....

Your blind hatred for all things sconnie is showing again Rupie. Why don't you just go back to Buckyville and keep getting reemed by the inbreds over there.

Do I hate Wisconsin- Yes, but I'm not going to let blind hatred get in the way of objectively looking at things.

They will be good this year.. unfortunately and deserve the press coverage they are getting. If you don't like it, don't get or read the paper.

I wouldn't be posting this. And you're blind if you think they deserve that type of press in Minnesota. Wait, maybe you're blind and couldn't read the gushing red BS. In any case, I don't give a rats ass what you think about my comment.

Brewster had it right when at the Cragun's Golf Outing he called him a
arrogant bafoon.

Jerry Kill disagrees with you.

You guys should be thankful. Bielema identified a blowhard in Brewster, got under his skin, then kicked his a-- out of his job on the field, and in the recruiting in the state of Minnesota. Bielema assisted in getting rid of your clown coach and creating the opportunity for your 10th choice, in Kill taking the job....the guy you should have skipped your pipe dreams (Alvarez, Harbaugh, Bellotti, Leach, Peterson, Patterson, God, Bill Walsh's Ghost, etc.) and just secured him from the start.

I wouldn't be posting this. And you're blind if you think they deserve that type of press in Minnesota. Wait, maybe you're blind and couldn't read the gushing red BS. In any case, I don't give a rats ass what you think about my comment.

Rupie....

Are you that ignorant to know you are a running punchline on here as well as on our arch rival's message board. Some people might give it a rest, but you are not some people. You just keep digging yourself a deeper hole every time you post another useless ramble like the last one...

When people look at our fanbase and laugh....its people like you who cause it.

Jerry Kill disagrees with you.

You guys should be thankful. Bielema identified a blowhard in Brewster, got under his skin, then kicked his a-- out of his job on the field, and in the recruiting in the state of Minnesota. Bielema assisted in getting rid of your clown coach and creating the opportunity for your 10th choice, in Kill taking the job....the guy you should have skipped your pipe dreams (Alvarez, Harbaugh, Bellotti, Leach, Peterson, Patterson, God, Bill Walsh's Ghost, etc.) and just secured him from the start.

Don't you have a dead deer to mate with?

Wait, maybe you're blind and couldn't read the gushing red BS.
And you're dyslexic for thinking OSU came first in the polls. Or you actually constructed a world for yourself where it's true. Can't tell sometimes.

I kind of figure you won't respond to this, but how exactly Bielema outrecruit Brewster in MN?

If you actually look at it, Brewster certainly outrecruited Bielema in the state of MN. I know you won't, that type of logical behavior isn't really found in the kind of guy who is a Badger fan living in Ohio posting on a Gopher football message board. But nonetheless, on that point, you're wrong. But don't let the facts get in the way of your nonsense.

Bielema identified a blowhard in Brewster, got under his skin, then kicked his a-- out of his job on the field, and in the recruiting in the state of Minnesota.

I must be misreading. It appears that you are trying to say that Bielema "kicked Brewster's a--" in recruiting Minnesota players. Surely, I must be misunderstanding what you are really trying to say, right?

Rupie....

Are you that ignorant to know you are a running punchline on here as well as on our arch rival's message board. Some people might give it a rest, but you are not some people. You just keep digging yourself a deeper hole every time you post another useless ramble like the last one...

When people look at our fanbase and laugh....its people like you who cause it.

Why, because I'm not as passive as a herd of sheep when it comes to our border rivals? Son, when you've held 4 season tickets for football for 31 years and have gone to every Bowl game except two since the Rose Bowls you can feel free to blow smoke up my ass. Until then, I would suggest from making comments on a individual who makes your loyality to the Gophers in any sport look like a pin head.

You're sure you're just not pissed that Kill and Bielema are long term buddies? :eek:

Like many others, I was disappointed when Kill was announced. Like many others, I have been completely won over by his style and abilities. Since the initial negative feelings, it has been nothing but positives for me. Until this, having a mutual respect with that *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#bag is unacceptable. I would have given Brewster a lifetime contract if he'd punched out Bielema at midfield last year...and a statue commemerating the punch outside TCF for all eternity.

Why, because I'm not as passive as a herd of sheep when it comes to our border rivals? Son, when you've held 4 season tickets for football for 31 years and have gone to every Bowl game except two since the Rose Bowls you can feel free to blow smoke up my ass. Until then, I would suggest from making comments on a individual who makes your loyality to the Gophers in any sport look like a pin head.

1440-644.jpg

I kind of figure you won't respond to this, but how exactly Bielema outrecruit Brewster in MN?

If you actually look at it, Brewster certainly outrecruited Bielema in the state of MN. I know you won't, that type of logical behavior isn't really found in the kind of guy who is a Badger fan living in Ohio posting on a Gopher football message board. But nonetheless, on that point, you're wrong. But don't let the facts get in the way of your nonsense.

I must be misreading. It appears that you are trying to say that Bielema "kicked Brewster's a--" in recruiting Minnesota players. Surely, I must be misunderstanding what you are really trying to say, right?

Just to support these 2 claims, I looked at the 2011 class from MN on Scout. Minnesota signed 5 of the top players, Wisconsin signed one. Minnesota had gone after that one, Tyler Marz from Springfield. My high school actually played Springfield twice last year (on our way to a State Championship! sorry had to say it), and my friend on the defensive line told me he think that Tyler Marz is good but isn't sure if he is good enough for D1, so he is a project to say the least.

GopherGuy05...awesome photo of two Badger fans pi$$ing on an electric fence at the Nuclear Power Plant in Manitowoc.

Of course I'll reply! It's easily answered.

In Brewster's short, short time in Minnesota, Wisconsin offered 10 Minnesota high school football players who also held an offer to play for Blowhard Brewster:

- LB Blake Sorenson, a solid LB for four years and quality starter as a senior
- WR David Gilreath, one of the best return men in the Big Ten, and a good four year receiver.
- DE Brendan Kelly, who has come through injuries to be a candidate to replace JJ Watt
- OL Joe Schafer, who has since left the program.
- OL Casey Dehn, who filled in as a starter this past season, and is a quality prospect to be a starting linemen and the best OL in the country.
- DT Beau Allen, who played in the DT rotation as a true frosh.
- OL Tyler Marz who as a true frosh has repped with the #2's on the UW OL (nice accomplishment, when the entire OL is going to the NFL).

With that small sample size, the UW is very happy with the production. Only one player has left without making an impact on the field (Schafer) while Sorenson, Gilreath, and Allen have all starred to some degree. Casey Dehn is a young player who has started. And Brendan Kelly's injury riddled career is for the first time looking quite good. Check back in a few weeks for him. Tyler Marz's career has yet to begin.

In that same period, the UW has offered the following players from Minnesota who chose to stay in Minnesota:
- TE Rasheed Hageman - I know you guys are waiting on him to meet his potential. With UW's success with TE's, Rasheed has to wonder what things would be like had he come to Madison. I wouldn't blame him. He'd be a nice backup for Jacob Pederson.
- OL Jimmy Gjere - nice looking prospect.
- LB Lamonte Edwards - Don't know anything about him.

If my math is correct, when Bret Bielema offered kids from Minnesota while Tim Brewster was coach, 70% of them chose Wisconsin. Is that successful head to head recruiting for you?

Worthy of note, Minnesota hasn't had a player from Wisconsin, who holds a UW offer leave for Minnesota since probably sometime in the 80s. Can't remember it's been so long.

Cue the guy suggesting I pork a dead deer.

My high school actually played Springfield twice last year (on our way to a State Championship! sorry had to say it), and my friend on the defensive line told me he think that Tyler Marz is good but isn't sure if he is good enough for D1, so he is a project to say the least.

Good thing your friend isn't Bob Bostad....UW's OL coach who has turned every UW starter (and some reserves like Bill Nagy) into NFL prospects. He likes Tyler enough to have him running with the 2's as a True Freshman. I think your friend certainly knows a lot less than Bob.

That is true he does not know as much as the coach, but I am more surprised Tyler is practicing. I know he was able to play basketball after his ACL injury but I read an article (well the synopsis of the article on the Badger's scout page) that said he was taking the year off to fully recover from the injury.

In Brewster's short, short time in Minnesota, Wisconsin offered 10 Minnesota high school football players who also held an offer to play for Blowhard Brewster:

- WR David Gilreath, one of the best return men in the Big Ten, and a good four year receiver.
- DE Brendan Kelly, who has come through injuries to be a candidate to replace JJ Watt
- OL Casey Dehn, who filled in as a starter this past season, and is a quality prospect to be a starting linemen and the best OL in the country.
- OL Tyler Marz who as a true frosh has repped with the #2's on the UW OL (nice accomplishment, when the entire OL is going to the NFL).

With that small sample size, the UW is very happy with the production. Only one player has left without making an impact on the field (Schafer) while Sorenson, Gilreath, and Allen have all starred to some degree. Casey Dehn is a young player who has started. And Brendan Kelly's injury riddled career is for the first time looking quite good. Check back in a few weeks for him. Tyler Marz's career has yet to begin.

In that same period, the UW has offered the following players from Minnesota who chose to stay in Minnesota:
- TE Rasheed Hageman - I know you guys are waiting on him to meet his potential. With UW's success with TE's, Rasheed has to wonder what things would be like had he come to Madison. I wouldn't blame him. He'd be a nice backup for Jacob Pederson.

If my math is correct, when Bret Bielema offered kids from Minnesota while Tim Brewster was coach, 70% of them chose Wisconsin. Is that successful head to head recruiting for you?

Worthy of note, Minnesota hasn't had a player from Wisconsin, who holds a UW offer leave for Minnesota since probably sometime in the 80s. Can't remember it's been so long.

First of all, your numbers are false. Tim Brewster was here two weeks before signing day in 2007. Sorenson, Gilreath, and A. Jacobs (MN commit) were all long committed to their respective schools before Brewster even got here. Anyone who would blame Brewster for anything re: the 2007 class has an agenda to push.

For the classes when Brewster actually was here and recruited all/most of the class:

Sam Maresh - Minn
Brendan Kelly - Wis
Joe Schafer - Wis

Ra'Shede Hageman - Minn
Casey Dehn - Wis

Jimmy Gjere - Minn
Lamonte Edwards - Minn
Beau Allen - Wis

Devin Crawford-Tufts - Minn
Tyler Marz - Wis

Thus, the actual number is 5/10 for both schools. Moreover, given the facts that Casey Dehn lived his entire life in Wisconsin until his senior year of high school, and that Beau Allen is the product of Wisconsin transplants who both went to Madison, and that Wisconsin has a 7-game winning streak against Minnesota, I'd say 5/10 is pretty damn good. Also, given the fact that Minnesota had pretty much no chance with Dehn or Allen given the circumstances, going 5-for-8 in the rest of the cases is even better. But hey, again, don't let facts get in the way of your trolling.

- WR David Gilreath, one of the best return men in the Big Ten, and a good four year receiver

Not so fast there ohio. Sorenson (10/8/06) and Gilreath (1/6/07) agreed to be Badgers before Tim Brewster was even a gleem in Joel Maturi's eye.

Good thing your friend isn't Bob Bostad....UW's OL coach who has turned every UW starter (and some reserves like Bill Nagy) into NFL prospects. He likes Tyler enough to have him running with the 2's as a True Freshman. I think your friend certainly knows a lot less than Bob.

Once again, Nagy started more often than he didn't. Eight starts in 13 games. It's pretty disingenuous to claim him as a "reserve". Why is that I, who have watched almost zero Wisconsin football outside of their games against the Gophers, know this, and your own fans don't?

Also, Bostad is a good OL coach, but he isn't infallible. Hell, you even mentioned Joe Schafer in your own post.

Once again, Nagy started more often than he didn't. Eight starts in 13 games. It's pretty disingenuous to claim him as a "reserve". Why is that I, who have watched almost zero Wisconsin football outside of their games against the Gophers, know this, and your own fans don't?

Nice try! Bill Nagy started one game at center for Peter Konz. He may have started one game at G for Kevin Zeitler....I'd have to double check. He "started" the other 6 as the blocking TE. He was the 2nd center and 3rd guard all year....

Nice try! Bill Nagy started one game at center for Peter Konz. He may have started one game at G for Kevin Zeitler....I'd have to double check. He "started" the other 6 as the blocking TE. He was the 2nd center and 3rd guard all year....

So, he started 8 games. Thank you for proving my point.

When Antwaan Randle-El was a WR from the beginning in the NFL, did they claim he wasn't a starter at Indiana just because he was a QB? A starter is a starter is a starter...period.

So, he started 8 games. Thank you for proving my point.

He wasn't a starting OL....which is what I was clearly talking about. He was a "reserve" lineman. The point is, he was so good of an offensive lineman that he was Wisconsin's 6th best, but good enough to make the Dallas Cowboys. He was a reserve OL who wore #89 for a dozen plays a game as a TE.

What this amounts to, is that Wisconsin chooses and develops OL to a point where a kid on an internet message board claiming Tyler Marz is a project, is silly talk. Typical talk when the discussion can't be directed at the Minnesota program having the ability to actually beat Wisconsin's football team between the lines....where it actually matters.

Here are the lists I used (as in, acutal websites) to determine offers:

Maresh: http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=8&c=1&nid=2732561
Crawford-Tufts: http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=8&c=1&nid=5020976

As for Gilreath and Sorenson, the Blowhard didn't stop recruiting them when he arrived. Those guys had a choice that they could have gone back to Minnesota. Sure, it wasn't a full picture, but Punky wanted them and with all his expounding, still didn't get them. It's worth noting.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Sam-Maresh-60908

http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/football/recruiting/player-Devin-Crawford-Tufts-115844

So what is the implication? That Rivals isn't an "acutal [sic] website", or that Scout is somehow more reliable than Rivals?

Top Bottom