Is Phil Miller from Wisconsin?

Reaction score
You didn't do Gopher fans any favors with the big splash picture of Wisconsin on the front of the Strib sports page.

We're in a Big Ten market and the Strib is doing a Big Ten preview. They did Nebraska yesterday and there are probably three or more coming up this week. The Strib, along with that weasel at Channel 11, have been guilty in the past in over praising kids for going to other programs. The fact that there are a hell of a lot Sconnies and Iowaegens who read the two local papers plays into it. The very high level of "I hate EVERYTHING" people in this state plays into it also, but that's for another topic.

We play Nebraska, we play Wisconsin, they're in the Big Ten; there's nothing wrong with the story.

You're sure you're just not pissed that Kill and Bielema are long term buddies? :eek:

The RedStar does this every season, and every time we play the Budgies. They are pandering to the 143 people in western Wiskey that buy their paper, instead of the 847 that buy one in the Cities...

This is requested by the Editorial Staff at a so-called "major metropolitan newspaper," a staff and paper that is laughted at by nearly every one of their peers. I've seen better high school papers.

OK, I'm done. Anyone for a bagel with a scmeer and a cup of coffee?

I kinda liked it personally. That said, I also like the fact that there is a mutual respect between Bielema and Kill. Should make the rivalry a little more civil off the field while retaining the intensity on it.

Miller's not at fault.

Ticks me off to no end, but whatever.

Badgers suck.

We're in a Big Ten market and the Strib is doing a Big Ten preview. They did Nebraska yesterday and there are probably three or more coming up this week. The Strib, along with that weasel at Channel 11, have been guilty in the past in over praising kids for going to other programs. The fact that there are a hell of a lot Sconnies and Iowaegens who read the two local papers plays into it. The very high level of "I hate EVRYTHING" people in this state plays into it also, but that's for another topic.

We play Nebraska, we play Wisconsin, they're in the Big Ten; there's nothing wrong with the story.

You're sure you're just not pissed that Kill and Bielema are long term buddies? :eek:

Wait just a second here. Do you think the Wisconsin State Journal or the Milwaukee ( main paper escapes me) would run a full page spread on the Minnesota Gopher's no matter how much success Minnesota had in the past? That is the problem around here folks. I can certainly understand the Nebraska review as the new kid on the block, but ass kissing one of your biggest rivals to the point of posting a red "W" with an 8x 10 colored photo
and gushing article is pure crap. I think Bielema is one heck of a coach, but Brewster had it right when at the Cragun's Golf Outing he called him a
arrogant bafoon.

I understand previewing the Big Ten thing but after looking at the front page of today's sports section the Strib may as well buzzed a plane over the metro area and the state of Minnesota pulling a Go Badgers banner!

Unfortunately this is what we get when 20% of the residents that make up the Twin Cities are Vagabond Transplants from Wisconsin and Iowa.

Unfortunately this is what we get when 20% of the residents that make up the Twin Cities are Vagabond Transplants from Wisconsin and Iowa.

This is what happens when a print media source sells out for eyeballs and page views.

Phil Miller is not the Sports Editor. He is a writer.

Hold on now Bayfield! Let's not muddy the waters with some facts. There is a freak out to be had here.

You must be reading too much Trib, and you glazed over. In my rant, I said he was "requested" to do this story--you know, to keep his job.

It's still a really, really, really crappy paper...we don't have much of a choice here.

I kinda liked it personally. That said, I also like the fact that there is a mutual respect between Bielema and Kill. Should make the rivalry a little more civil off the field while retaining the intensity on it.

Of course you like it.

There is no mutual respect for Bulumia is the B1G...

You must be reading too much Trib, and you glazed over. In my rant, I said he was "requested" to do this story--you know, to keep his job.

It's still a really, really, really crappy paper...we don't have much of a choice here.
I was actually responding to Rupe's OP with my comment.

This amazes me. Every season, newspapers across the country preview college football. Some do special sections. Some spread out the preview over several days. The later is how the Star Tribune has traditionally done it. Part of previewing college football is writing about more than just the home team.

In this case, they have written about Nebraska and Wisconsin. Those stories seem to be pretty natural choices considering that those are the two teams that enter the season highest ranked in the two main preseason polls. They also have some regional interest and that's probably important considering the Strib is the third largest newspaper in Big Ten country in terms of circulation.

I don't understand the outrage. A couple of weeks ago, the Strib had a huge story on Kill on the cover of their Sunday section. This week, there was a big story on Gray on the cover of their Sunday section. Chip has written several nice columns. It's not as if the newspaper has ignored the Gophers.

Newspapers are going to write about the home team or home teams, but they also write about other schools in the conference or teams that their schools play. That's part of the reason why there was a story on the Gophers in the Chicago Tribune today as part of their ongoing football preview. But I'm assuming that's OK to the people on this board.

The Star Tribune is read all over the state, and into neighboring states. The Pioneer Press, good luck finding that out of the metro area. The people of the state of Minnesota have decided they prefer the Star Tribune.

anonymous. My good man you must have horse blinders on. In regards to some of the the polls tOSU is ranked higher than Wisconsin.

This amazes me. Every season, newspapers across the country preview college football. Some do special sections. Some spread out the preview over several days. The later is how the Star Tribune has traditionally done it. Part of previewing college football is writing about more than just the home team.

In this case, they have written about Nebraska and Wisconsin. Those stories seem to be pretty natural choices considering that those are the two teams that enter the season highest ranked in the two main preseason polls. They also have some regional interest and that's probably important considering the Strib is the third largest newspaper in Big Ten country in terms of circulation.

I don't understand the outrage. A couple of weeks ago, the Strib had a huge story on Kill on the cover of their Sunday section. This week, there was a big story on Gray on the cover of their Sunday section. Chip has written several nice columns. It's not as if the newspaper has ignored the Gophers.

Newspapers are going to write about the home team or home teams, but they also write about other schools in the conference or teams that their schools play. That's part of the reason why there was a story on the Gophers in the Chicago Tribune today as part of their ongoing football preview. But I'm assuming that's OK to the people on this board.

Its just the old, lets play the victim, everyone hates on the Gophers angle again. Its instinct to some people. I guess for the Big Ten previews instead of previewing the best teams we should just spend all our time previewing Indiana and Illinois next year....but then them people will still whine...

Its a Tuesday morning paper for god sakes....noone gets the Tuesday morning paper. There is a reason why the big Gray article was on Sunday....when papers are at least somewhat relevant.

Wisconsin story in Star Tribune: Huge pictures/logos/splash all over the front page of the sports section; 1,158 words; in a market where the Vadgers recruit heavily and will no doubt make at least some impression on recruits and public opinion

Minnesota story in Chicago Tribune: No pictures or logos; 399 words; in the middle/back of the sports section; in a market where the Gophers have recruited very little and where it will make little or no difference in recruiting

Yup, they're the same.

anonymous. My good man you must have horse blinders on. In regards to some of the the polls tOSU is ranked higher than Wisconsin.

Your blind hatred for all things sconnie is showing again Rupie. Why don't you just go back to Buckyville and keep getting reemed by the inbreds over there.

Do I hate Wisconsin- Yes, but I'm not going to let blind hatred get in the way of objectively looking at things.

They will be good this year.. unfortunately and deserve the press coverage they are getting. If you don't like it, don't get or read the paper.

I like the Star Tribune. The story on the Badgers is simply part of their college football preview. What's the problem?

In regards to some of the the polls tOSU is ranked higher than Wisconsin.
What planet do you live on? Which polls Rupe? Names and links. Because it's not the AP or Coaches or Harris (obviously, since it's not out yet). Which means that tOSU is not ranked higher than WI in ANY actual poll right now.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/6

Unless you're counting the ESPN U "Fan Rankings", which of course is not actually poll.

Ruppert:

AP
10. Nebraska
11. Wisconsin
18. Ohio State

USA Today/Coaches
10. Wisconsin
11. Nebraska
16. Ohio State

Now if you are looking at season preview mags, those were on shelves before Pryor was ruled ineligible and Tressel was fired.

Now if you are looking at season preview mags, those were on shelves before Pryor was ruled ineligible and Tressel was fired.
They are also not polls and don't count for jack.

As I stated in my earlier post, I understand that newspapers are goingto write about other treams in the conference. I have no problem with that. What I have a problem with is how it is laid out and presented. A quarter of the front page should be more than sufficient. What we are seeing today is a PR bonanza spash for Wisconsin Football. It's like the old say, "It's not that you said it, it's HOW you said it".

All I know is that for a board filled with a lot of people who claim they don't read the Star Tribune, a lot of people picked up the paper today.

As I stated in my earlier post, I understand that newspapers are goingto write about other treams in the conference. I have no problem with that. What I have a problem with is how it is laid out and presented. A quarter of the front page should be more than sufficient. What we are seeing today is a PR bonanza spash for Wisconsin Football. It's like the old say, "It's not that you said it, it's HOW you said it".
Not able to see the print edition down here in Madison so I can't comment as someone who's viewed it firsthand. That said, if it is as described this would be my problem with it too.

It's a fact of life, some people aren't happy unless they have something to pi*s & moan about.

In the last couple years I think the Strib has greatly enhanced its college football coverage, both with regards to the Gophers and the B1G as a whole. And why is there a problem with that?

A tip for those that like to complain. Worry less about how much (or what kind of) attention the media gives your favorite team(s) and put that energy into your continued support of the Gophers, Vikings, Twins, T-Pups, Wild, Lynx, etc. ... whoever your favorite squad may be. You'll be a happier person!

Wait just a second here. Do you think the Wisconsin State Journal or the Milwaukee ( main paper escapes me) would run a full page spread on the Minnesota Gopher's no matter how much success Minnesota had in the past? That is the problem around here folks. I can certainly understand the Nebraska review as the new kid on the block, but ass kissing one of your biggest rivals to the point of posting a red "W" with an 8x 10 colored photo
and gushing article is pure crap. I think Bielema is one heck of a coach, but Brewster had it right when at the Cragun's Golf Outing he called him a
arrogant bafoon.

Timmy was wrong again. Bielema is actually an arrogant buffoon.

Then again if BB was Warren Buffett, Timmy would be Warren Buffoon.

Top Bottom