Is Phil Miller from Wisconsin?

Good trivia, but you got the point. The fact that it was the first game to be shown in color almost makes it worse. Quick question, what percentage of the Gopher fans on this board were even alive the last time they made the Rose Bowl? I've only seen four Badger Rose Bowls since my freshman year (fall of 1993 by the way).

Which, if you count, would be only 4 more than Gophers fans have seen since 1962 as well. I agree the badgers have had sustained mediocre to pretty darn good football teams since 1993. But prior to that MN and Wisconsin had been VERY similar teams from 1950 on to the Alvarez era.

It's not like the Gophers haven't made the commitment to building a football program. I'd argue they banished it in the late 70s and early 80s with the move tot he metrodome, but attempts were made to get great coaches (Holtz, up-comers like Wacker and Mason), and more recently by building a $300 Million stadium on campus. We need the right guy at the right time to captivate the fan base similar to how Alvarez did and sustained success will come.

Until then, ragging on fans like us for continuing to follow our team and alma mater despite 50 years of mediocrity makes you look foolish. Why don't we get praise for being diehards similar to the "lovable Cubs fans" or the like??

Rail baron,

The Strib absolutely previews teams in other sports. For two years they actually had Judd Zulgad live in Green Bay during the season and cover the Packers.

Of course it previews other teams in the other sports.. But not to the extent that they did Becky. That was his point.

Rail baron,

The Strib absolutely previews teams in other sports. For two years they actually had Judd Zulgad live in Green Bay during the season and cover the Packers.

Show me a full-page spread previewing the Packer's team.

Also, don't bother acknowledging the other points I made. Why doesn't the Boston Globe run a full-preview with much praise for the Yankees despite many Yankee fans living in the area? Does the Washington Post run one for the Philly Eagles? Come on. I admitted giving a preview to each team is fair but the amount of love they got was definitely overboard.

Until then, ragging on fans like us for continuing to follow our team and alma mater despite 50 years of mediocrity makes you look foolish. Why don't we get praise for being diehards similar to the "lovable Cubs fans" or the like??

I agree to a point. You wouldn't see Cards fans praising Cubs fans and I don't expect Wisconsin fans to praise Minnesota fans. But at the same time, I don't get what is being accomplished here. Is RB trying to convert us to Badger fans because of all their recent success? We've been through hell with our favorite team for pretty much all our lives, the chances of any of us abandoning ship at this point are probably slim to none.

What a dumbass. The irony of your statement is that the 1962 Rose Bowl (Minnesota 21, UCLA 3) was the first college football game in history to be broadcast in color to a national audience. Oops.

The more posts of yours I read, the more and more I see Red Foreman sitting behind a computer, posting.

red_forman.jpg

I agree to a point. You wouldn't see Cards fans praising Cubs fans and I don't expect Wisconsin fans to praise Minnesota fans. But at the same time, I don't get what is being accomplished here. Is RB trying to convert us to Badger fans because of all their recent success? We've been through hell with our favorite team for pretty much all our lives, the chances of any of us abandoning ship at this point are probably slim to none.

Absolutely not. I'm pointing out that their fan base was lucky with the hire of Alvarez and the success he has had and have supported their team as they should. We continue to do the same despite having the level of success that they have had. Get off our backs is my point. I would never, EVER, become a Becky fan and don't advocate it, either.

To your first point, no I'm not expecting WI fans to praise us for hangin' in there, but the ridicule we receive from their fanbase (and many times Iowa fans as well) is not justified. I only pointed out Cubs fans because the nation at large seems to praise them rather than ridicule them, and BoSox fans were no different prior to 2004.

Absolutely not. I'm pointing out that their fan base was lucky with the hire of Alvarez and the success he has had and have supported their team as they should. We continue to do the same despite having the level of success that they have had. Get off our backs is my point. I would never, EVER, become a Becky fan and don't advocate it, either.

To your first point, no I'm not expecting WI fans to praise us for hangin' in there, but the ridicule we receive from their fanbase (and many times Iowa fans as well) is not justified. I only pointed out Cubs fans because the nation at large seems to praise them rather than ridicule them, and BoSox fans were no different prior to 2004.

Oh, no, I'm not saying YOU are advocating for us to be Vadger fans. I'm saying RB seems to be advocating it, and I don't get the argument. Why come here and pound your chest to a group of diehards?

I'm not ragging on Gopher fans, or at least not trying to. But taking a shot at the Badgers for losing to the #3 team in football last year when your school hasn't been to the RB in damn near 40 years is a bit silly, no?

Having grown up in Bloomington, I actually would like to see the Gophers have sustained success, against everyone but the Badgers. I think that the hire of Kill is a step in the right direction, as long as fans and the administration are willing to give the man time to build a program the right way.

And as I said in the other thread I started, good luck this year. Take down USC on Saturday, and we'll see you in the Bank.

I'm not ragging on Gopher fans, or at least not trying to. But taking a shot at the Badgers for losing to the #3 team in football last year when your school hasn't been to the RB in damn near 40 years is a bit silly, no?

Having grown up in Bloomington, I actually would like to see the Gophers have sustained success, against everyone but the Badgers. I think that the hire of Kill is a step in the right direction, as long as fans and the administration are willing to give the man time to build a program the right way.

And as I said in the other thread I started, good luck this year. Take down USC on Saturday, and we'll see you in the Bank.

Too many RBs around, I got confused. I wasn't calling you (Radio Badger) out for ridiculing us, but it certainly happens all the time (if not here then somewhere else like STrib comments or the like).

No, calling you out for losing to TCU in the Rose Bowl and laughing is silly given the way our season went down. Yes, I would kill to go to the Rose Bowl but lose to TCU. Doesn't mean I like the Badgers, Bielema, etc or wish I were a fan, just that it definitely would be nice.

This is entertaining stuff watching BIOV and DPodd argue over whether Nagy was a starter.

Unless the Cowboys drafted him a 4th string jumbo tight end, he was not a starter at the position he was drafted for.

Not that it matters, but it is entertaining watching DPodd go. If the sky being green was bad for the Badgers, DPodd would go to his grave arguing the sky is green.And people don't understand why Badgers fans read this board. Unreal.
If it wasn't for technicalities like this DPdoll would never win an argument.

If it wasn't for technicalities like this DPdoll would never win an argument.

You do virtually nothing on this forum but follow me around and respond to me and/or reference me in your posts. Seriously, at least 90% of your posts are responding to me or about me. The sensation of your nose in my taint is becoming rather uncomfortable.

There is nothing wrong with the lifestyle you live, but the interest is just not reciprocated. I am sorry if this news upsets you.

The remedy is win, until then nothing will seem fair. Fortunately, Ckill gets that more than most of us do.

Once again, Nagy started more often than he didn't. Eight starts in 13 games. It's pretty disingenuous to claim him as a "reserve". Why is that I, who have watched almost zero Wisconsin football outside of their games against the Gophers, know this, and your own fans don't?

Also, Bostad is a good OL coach, but he isn't infallible. Hell, you even mentioned Joe Schafer in your own post.

Now DpDoll, you know that Bill Nagy was a reserve offensive lineman. You and I have had this discussion before. His starts at jumbo tightend are irrelevant because jumbo tightend is not a position on the offensive line. He filled on the line when a guys went down, but he was one of the five best offensive lineman last year. In fact, I would say when all are healthy, Josh Ogelsby and possibly Travis Frederick are better than him, making him the 7th or 8th best linemand for Wisconsin last year.

Now DpDoll, you know that Bill Nagy was a reserve offensive lineman. You and I have had this discussion before. His starts at jumbo tightend are irrelevant because jumbo tightend is not a position on the offensive line. He filled on the line when a guys went down, but he was one of the five best offensive lineman last year. In fact, I would say when all are healthy, Josh Ogelsby and possibly Travis Frederick are better than him, making him the 7th or 8th best linemand for Wisconsin last year.

How are starts irrelevant when discussing whether one is a starter or not? I didn't go to Madison, granted, but such logic clearly flies over my head.

How are starts irrelevant when discussing whether one is a starter or not? I didn't go to Madison, granted, but such logic clearly flies over my head.

I'm not denying that he was technically a starter at TE. The point of (insert original Badger fan's SN here, I don't remember)'s post was to portray how skilled Bob Bostad is at finding and developing talent along the offensive line. Now, I think it is fair to assume that what the poster was trying to say, when referencing Bill Nagy, is that it is impressive that Bob Bostad was able to develop a player in Bill Nagy, who was a reserve offensive lineman for Wisconsin, into a likely NFL starter as a rookie...as an offensive lineman.

The core point of his original post did not revolve around whether or not Bill Nagy was or was not technically a starter because he started 6 games at jumbo tight end (along with one at center and one at guard). His wording did, however, provide you with some room to argue, even though we all know you are smart enough to understand the point he was attempting to convey and that you agree with his general premise.

Now, I will leave...I do not want to come across as a troll. I will never flame the gophers.

Top Bottom