If Minnesota wins next 3

Folks, see post #82 and post #88.

I know you hate it. We all do.

But the objective fact of the matter is: it's better for the Gophers if Wisconsin beats Iowa.

EDIT: damn! I was wrong. It happens occasionally. Sorry for the false alarm.

Who gets the West in this scenario?? Curious

Minnesota has losses to Ohio St and Iowa
Iowa has losses to Purdue and Wisconsin
Wisc has losses to Michigan and Minnesota

Assume Purdue has 3+ losses and that Ohio St runs the table. I feel like Iowa has the "worst" loss and Wisc has a head-to-head loss with Gophers, here. Therefore, Gophers get it??

Iowa wins it.

If Wisconsin loses to Michigan and Minnesota, that gives them 3 B1G losses (they lost to Penn State as well). That eliminates them.

Iowa owns head-to-head tiebreaker over Minnesota, in your scenario.

Iowa.

If Wisconsin lose to Michigan and Minnesota, that gives them 3 B1G losses (they lost to Penn State as well). That eliminates them.

Iowa owns head-to-head tiebreaker over Minnesota, in your scenario.
Wrong.

See post #88.

Iowa has two division losses here, while Minn only has one. Therefore, Iowa is eliminated.

EDIT: nope, I was wrong. Damn!

Not necessarily true. See post #82

EDIT: see post #88. That seals it. Wisconsin needs to win.

Most likely the Gophers will need to win at Kinnick. I don't think that NW, Illinois, or Nebraska will be able to score on them and give them a third loss.

Wrong.

See post #88.

Iowa has two division losses here, while Minn only has one. Therefore, Iowa is eliminated.

If two teams tie, head to head is the first tiebreaker, I believe. And since Wisconsin would have 3 B1G losses, there would be no three-way tie. It's between Minnesota and Iowa, and Iowa owns head-to-head.

Most likely the Gophers will need to win at Kinnick. I don't think that NW, Illinois, or Nebraska will be able to score on them and give them a third loss.
I was wrong. I'll edit the above posts.

Right, so unless Iowa picks up another loss somewhere, then only Minn and Iowa would have 2 conf losses and head-to-head would be the priority, which they would own from the win in IC.

So, I guess we pretty much just have to do the damn thing and kick both their asses!!

Jesus, do we have to apologize every time we're in error?

If so: I'm very sorry, many times over.
Christ would probably answer your question with a "No, but it creates a climate of humility that breeds a better forum atmosphere when people argue and then admit their error in front of their brothers and sisters"

Assume Purdue has 3+ losses and that Ohio St runs the table. I feel like Iowa has the "worst" loss and Wisc has a head-to-head loss with Gophers, here. Therefore, Gophers get it??
Wisconsin also lost to Penn State. So, there’s that to consider. No way for a three way tie with two losses realistically.
Just win our games and see who wins the hated rival bowl at Camp Randall. We either have to beat them both or just Iowa. Either way, we have to beat Iowa.
Remember, at one time people thought Fleck couldn’t win when trailing at the half!
Streaks are meant to be broken.

No. That wouldn't be the best case scenario. As MNVCGUY said....if Wisconsin beats Iowa....then a loss to either of those teams would give them the head to head tie breaker against us. If Iowa beats Wisconsin.....that will be their third loss. The Gophers losing to them would not give them the West crown.

You've convinced me. If WI beats IA, it's like the Gophs needing to win a parlay. Both games must be won (assuming all three win out otherwise).

Nebraska is the only other realistic team that could give either Iowa or Wisc another loss. They go to Madison, after a BYE week after playing Purdue and Ohio St these next two weeks, then the last week they get Iowa at home.

You've convinced me. If WI beats IA, it's like the Gophs needing to win a parlay. Both games must be won (assuming all three win out otherwise).

Let's say Iowa beats Wisconsin, and Minnesota beats Northwestern, Illinois and Iowa.

• Minnesota would be 6-1 in the B1G, holding the two-way tiebreaker over Iowa.

• Iowa would then be 5-2 in the B1G.

• Wisconsin would be — at best — 4-3.

If Minnesota then beat Indiana the following week, Minnesota would be 7-1 and would clinch the West. The Axe game would be for the Axe, but not the West championship.

Would Fleck be tempted to "rest the starters" in that scenario?

That would be maddening, in a sense. I doubt they would do that ... but maybe they should?

That would be maddening, in a sense. I doubt they would do that ... but maybe they should?

I guarantee you that no starters will ever be rested in the game for Paul Bunyan's Axe.

Not this season, not any season.

Now, if we were winning handily late in the game, then yes, it's possible.

This is easily the most absurd idea I’ve ever read on GH. I’m as big of a PJ supporter as you will find here but if he even considered this (he wouldn’t), he should be fired on the spot.

Let's say Iowa beats Wisconsin, and Minnesota beats Northwestern, Illinois and Iowa.

• Minnesota would be 6-1 in the B1G, holding the two-way tiebreaker over Iowa.

• Iowa would then be 5-2 in the B1G.

• Wisconsin would be — at best — 4-3.

If Minnesota then beat Indiana the following week, Minnesota would be 7-1 and would clinch the West. The Axe game would be for the Axe, but not the West championship.
I can live with that scenario

Tiebreakers are always confusing but based on how I read it, in this 3 way scenario where head to head doesn't work, then games against division foes comes next at which point Iowa would be eliminated due to the loss against Purdue. Then it would go to head to head between Minnesota and Wisconsin which would lead to Minnesota winning the division due to head to head.

But i hate tiebreakers because they get so friggin confusing.

Edit - as was pointed out by others, Wisconsin lost to Penn State also so if they lose to Iowa or Minnesota they have 3 losses and would be out of this mix.

rest them for what? The B1G champ game?

would be ludicrous

I think that any game a team doesn’t turnover the ball is a game played with under 20 points for Iowa. And that gives you a chance to be a play or two away even if you’re Illinois

but I would say you are likely correct.

Tiebreakers are always confusing but based on how I read it, in this 3 way scenario where head to head doesn't work, then games against division foes comes next at which point Iowa would be eliminated due to the loss against Purdue. Then it would go to head to head between Minnesota and Wisconsin which would lead to Minnesota winning the division due to head to head.

But i hate tiebreakers because they get so friggin confusing.

Edit - as was pointed out by others, Wisconsin lost to Penn State also so if they lose to Iowa or Minnesota they have 3 losses and would be out of this mix.

Bingo. And while I think that the Gophers should beat both Iowa and Wisconsin.....having Iowa knock Wisconsin out this weekend would make our path easier.

Good lord, there is a zero percent chance that Fleck would even consider resting his starters in a game against Wisconsin simply because it had no say in the division race. The fans would revolt and the players probably would too.

The only thing I could see them doing would be holding out an injured player that potentially could play in order to give them some extra time to heal. Outside of that they would 10000000% play to win the Wisconsin game.

You're out of your damn mind if you think this is even remotely possible.

In this scenario, every game matters for bowl position. Say we win the West and lose the BT championship. We want to be considered ahead of other teams in our conference.

Play to win 100%.

Northwestern at home and hungry, may be tough. One game at a time. Winning the next three will not be easy. The rest of the season will not be easy. In the conference, we have defeated Nebraska, Purdue and Maryland. Long road ahead.
Northwestern always seems to play us tough, too. On paper, we should handle them, perhaps easily. But Fitz is crafty and he will be ready for us. I just don't think NW has quite enough weapons this year, if the Gophers play fully engaged for 60 minutes and don't make a lot of mistakes.

Top Bottom