If Fleck leaves, who should realistically be on Coyle’s immediate call list?

Thoughts on Rossi? Probably best option to keep the roster and class in tact
If Fleck leaves, half the team enters the portal at a time when other players aren't out there for us to pick up. In that case, we could go winless in the Big Ten next year.

Rossi might be the best chance to keep many of those players and have a better team next year. But would we better in four years with someone else?

Matt Birk would be wonderful in many positions, HC not now. Coaching, recruiting & building relationships. A true Minnesotan with the qualities every mother wishes for their child. Honesty, integrity, faith, intelligence, leadership, morals, family values. Since he graduated Harvard how is Harvard doing now?
The school has some how managed to limp along.
Future NFL Hall of Fame.
So was Magic and by his own admission, he was a horrible coach as was Isiah Thomas- that has less than zero to do with making someone qualified to coach.
"One is not getting taller if others are getting shorter." Prince

OK. Take any and all politics out of this.

What are Matt Birk's qualifications to coach a Big Ten football team? Why would the U even consider him as a candidate?

What on earth would cause you to jump in here and make a sarcastic comment about the U other than your own personal politics?

Uhhh.... where exactly in my post did I advocate at all, in any way, shape or form, whatsoever, for Birk to be a viable candidate for a B1G HC?

Your vitriol and hatred and anger for anyone that disagrees with you politically has been duly noted and immediately apparent to even the most casual of observers. Appreciate the reminder....

What are Matt Birk's qualifications to coach a Big Ten football team? Why would the U even consider him as a candidate?

What on earth would cause you to jump in here and make a sarcastic comment about the U other than your own personal politics?

Actually, Ogee didn't bring up Birk's politics in this thread and frankly he isn't wrong.

You do realize he's literally hated by a huge number of people in this state.
The cry babies in this state that unfortunately operate it isn't as huge as you think.
Imagine being so naive as to think there is such a thing as "Minnesota Values." All values and morals are entirely subjective, and I can say for certain I share very little of Birks.

And based on electoral results, so do the majority of Minnesotans.
More of Matt Birk is what we need in this state. Before it's too late...

Many of the same people that roasted ben Johnson hire, who had more coaching experience than birks zero, would applaud.

Only if there was black and white difference

I have a feeling if this politically outspoken person’s politics aligned with yours, you’d be less concerned about him being hated.

Do you think Steve Kerr or Greg Popovich would be terrible hires as basketball coaches? I’d guess not.
Guys who have won numerous NBA titles and coached Olympic teams versus someone who has never coached a college team in any capacity? You're probably right in your assumption but not your most solid argument.

Uhhh.... where exactly in my post did I advocate at all, in any way, shape or form, whatsoever, for Birk to be a viable candidate for a B1G HC?

Your vitriol and hatred and anger for anyone that disagrees with you politically has been duly noted and immediately apparent to even the most casual of observers. Appreciate the reminder....
Where in my post did I say you did that?

And you're right. I'm the one who has hundreds, maybe thousands, of posts on the OT board spewing my political views and carrying on sound and rational arguments with the other side...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Guys who have won numerous NBA titles and coached Olympic teams versus someone who has never coached a college team in any capacity? You're probably right in your assumption but not your most solid argument.
No offense, but you missed my argument or I did a poor job of articulating my point. Of course they have amazing resumes, so no one would give a sh!t about their politics. With Birk, he has absolutely no resume to be a coach at the U, so his politics are meaningless.

I used Kerr and Popovich as examples of people who have divisive politics but no one would give a shit.

No offense, but you missed my argument or I did a poor job of articulating my point. Of course they have amazing resumes, so no one would give a sh!t about their politics. With Birk, he has absolutely no resume to be a coach at the U, so his politics are meaningless.

I used Kerr and Popovich as examples of people who have divisive politics but no one would give a shit.

It’s not that Birk has divisive politics, it’s that he doesn’t have enough of a coaching resume to smooth over those issues. Jim Harbaugh is actually fairly vocal about being pro-life, but nobody minds because he has a proven track record as a coach. Pop and Kerr also had actually had success as head coaches before they started wading into politics. If Birk had no political stances at all he still would be seen as a questionable hire (basically equivalent to Jeff Saturday), and when you throw in the fact that his hiring would probably piss off the majority of the student body (which is heavily liberal) I have no idea why Coyle would consider it. Not to mention that I doubt the new president would want to deal with the potential publicity headache it would be.

Matt Birk would be wonderful in many positions, HC not now. Coaching, recruiting & building relationships. A true Minnesotan with the qualities every mother wishes for their child. Honesty, integrity, faith, intelligence, leadership, morals, family values. Since he graduated Harvard how is Harvard doing now? Future NFL Hall of Fame. "One is not getting taller if others are getting shorter." Prince
Would a lot of mothers wish for their sons to treat women like second-class citizens; or for their daughters to accept being treated like a second-class citizens?

I yell at the TV like I know what I’m doing. So probably me.

Have the FCS kid throw deep to the D2 kid every play

The cry babies in this state that unfortunately operate it isn't as huge as you think.

More of Matt Birk is what we need in this state. Before it's too late...
Mmm hmm. That's why your side hasn't won statewide in what - almost 20 years now and has little hope going forward? The majority of voters in this state (and yes, the metro area IS where the majority of the people reside - sorry rocks and cows) share a different mindset than yours.

A liberal university in a liberal state is NOT going to hire an outspoken right wing asshole to a very public position. They wouldn't hire Tommy Tuberville either if we are going to pick someone who actually IS qualified to coach a major college team for the same reason. It would be a PR disaster. It seems some of the people here don't actually understand public relations.

Economics is kiddie math for those who couldn't cut it in engineering and weren't charismatic enough to major in "business". ;)
I know you were joking around, but applied financial math is no joke and some of the most brilliant people in the world make bank working in those sub-fields for financial institutions/firms.

Some of the math they employ would make a standard undergrad engineering degree holder crap their shorts.

Mmm hmm. That's why your side hasn't won statewide in what - almost 20 years now and has little hope going forward? The majority of voters in this state (and yes, the metro area IS where the majority of the people reside - sorry rocks and cows) share a different mindset than yours.

A liberal university in a liberal state is NOT going to hire an outspoken right wing asshole to a very public position. They wouldn't hire Tommy Tuberville either if we are going to pick someone who actually IS qualified to coach a major college team for the same reason. It would be a PR disaster. It seems some of the people here don't actually understand public relations.
Ignorance seems to run deeper than a farmer's well. A single majority is as effective as a tone deaf singer. A society like a football team needs a running & passing game if not failure prevails. "Nobody wins with a one-trick pony." Paul Wellstone

Did anyone actually think Birk was being serious?

He listed Ben Leber as LB coach. That guy has an awesome gig being on TV and radio and I would wild guess had zero desire to get into coaching.

Jamey Chadwell has never coached north of the Mason Dixon line.... Can copy the offense, but I seriously doubt we are in the conversation. A lot of Sunday collection plates are paying his salary....

The 2 that come to mind with the least amount of schematic change would be Troy Ford and Jeff Monken from our Air Force and Army Military Academies. Anybody coming into here has to realize this is the Big 10 and teams have to run the ball at some point. We won't get the athletes others do. Fleck isn't wrong in his approach of coaching kids up. The next guy will have to do the same.

Top Bottom