If Fleck leaves, who should realistically be on Coyle’s immediate call list?

Why do they hate a Man of Minnesota values? Is he a Felon? Not college educated? Abandoned his children? Ate dog? Committed voter fraud?
Imagine being so naive as to think there is such a thing as "Minnesota Values." All values and morals are entirely subjective, and I can say for certain I share very little of Birks.

And based on electoral results, so do the majority of Minnesotans.

Imagine being so naive as to think there is such a thing as "Minnesota Values." All values and morals are entirely subjective, and I can say for certain I share very little of Birks.

And based on electoral results, so do the majority of Minnesotans.
Curious, in your opinion is the state of Minnesota better than 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago? I believe in the right position Matt Birk would be an asset to the U. If Matt would make the U better one should not stop progress because one does not like them. "If people only talked to people who think alike conversations would be boring." Barack Obama

I have no idea if Matt Campbell would be interested or if we genuinely could pay him more than Iowa State can? New Big 12 will be relatively much easier to win or be competitive in.

Otherwise, whoever is the hottest MAC coach who would come here.

Is that not what we did with Kill and Fleck?

I don’t think PJ is going anywhere so this is all moot to me, but the conversation can be fun so will add my 2 cents.

If I’m Coyle my first call is Jimbo Fisher. Some probably already know this, but he has a connection to the U as his son regularly came to MN for treatment for a rare disease (can’t recall what it was but I’m sure Google has the answer) and the U was the only place in the country with a research focus on it.

In reality I think Coyle would go after another young up and comer PJ type, so Sean Lewis would be my guess.

Why do they hate a Man of Minnesota values? Is he a Felon? Not college educated? Abandoned his children? Ate dog? Committed voter fraud?

You're dreaming. There are certain folks who are absolutely positively and unequivocally incapable of differentiating between two things that don't have a single thing to do with each other; political party and coaching football. There would be rioting in the streets, all over campus, they'd be on CNN 24 hours a day. Not a good look for the University

The Jimbo Fisher talk is laughable. He might be the most overrated coach of the last several decades, on par with Les Miles.

Coaches who fail with unlimited resources are not good coaches.

100%. A blind man could have predicted Jimbo failing at his last stop; not very many of the built-in advantages he had where he was coaching in Florida. He may not be a terrible coach, but he's far from a top level HC. No thanks.

I don't love all of Birk's political commentary, but my objection to him as a coach is solely due to his lack of coaching experience. I would venture to guess the majority of college football coaches are conservatives, and some pretty heavily so, but most aren't as vocal as Birk.

I'm not taking sides. His ticket's stance of no abortion allowed in cases of rape was a disaster for the right. With all the upheaval, it was an opportunity to cash in, but instead the left won and rammed through the biggest left spending spree since the Great Society.

Not taking sides, just being a boxing match judge where Birk's side got TKO'd.

For the record, I do like Birk personally and have enjoyed him on KFAN. I also believe inclusiveness should include people of many cultures, including his.
I am glad u are not taking sides🙄

Jimmy Roger's from South Dakota State would be very realistic. Could see Bret Bielema or Lance Leipold as options as I see Minnesota resources as a step up than Champaign or Lawrence. Wildcard maybe a Jim Leonhard or Brian Flores.

For the record, I don’t think PJ is going anywhere.

But I also like to speculate so…..I think the very first person Coyle calls if PJ left is Chris Petersen. I have no idea if he would want to get back to coaching. I’d bet he doesn’t, but I’ll guarantee you Coyle makes him say no. The two of them are close friends from their time at Boise State. Very close friends, and Coyle spoke admirably of him on a podcast not long ago.

I could see Matt Campbell and I’d be ok with that.

I really like Jamey Chadwell. I love his offense and he might be my first choice.

I could live with Rossi.

I said in a post no too long ago that Winston will be the head coach of the Gophers one day…but this would be too soon.

I know many will roll their eyes at this suggestion, but I love Troy Calhoun. I’ve always wanted to see him get a shot at a larger program besides Air Force.

But I also like to speculate so…..I think the very first person Coyle calls if PJ left is Chris Petersen. I have no idea if he would want to get back to coaching. I’d bet he doesn’t, but I’ll guarantee you Coyle makes him say no. The two of them are close friends from their time at Boise State. Very close friends, and Coyle spoke admirably
Has he been retired since 2019??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Petersen

Curious, in your opinion is the state of Minnesota better than 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago? I believe in the right position Matt Birk would be an asset to the U. If Matt would make the U better one should not stop progress because one does not like them. "If people only talked to people who think alike conversations would be boring." Barack Obama

So you’d want more of Jacob Frey and Tim Walz? You can have them and you deserve them.
Sure. I'm happy here, and with the direction of the state. You should hide in your bunker and never leave.

You do realize he's literally hated by a huge number of people in this state.
Who cares?

Matt Birk would be an awful hire and would never be hired, but who cares how many people dislike him?

To be honest I would want an offensive innovator.
First call would be Jamey Chadwell. Not sure if we have Bible Belt money and he can probably wait for an SEC job in a year or two that’s higher profile than us

Might call Chip Kelly second.
Yep. I’d start with Chadwell and then the guy at Texas State. I’d be interested to see if Matt Campbell would pick up and maybe Brian Hartline.

Who cares?

Matt Birk would be an awful hire and would never be hired, but who cares how many people dislike him?
You have to think of the public relations aspect of a hire. Someone who is politically outspoken as Birk would alienate a lot of people. Of course he'd never get hired as you said.

You're dreaming. There are certain folks who are absolutely positively and unequivocally incapable of differentiating between two things that don't have a single thing to do with each other; political party and coaching football. There would be rioting in the streets, all over campus, they'd be on CNN 24 hours a day. Not a good look for the University
OK. Take any and all politics out of this.

What are Matt Birk's qualifications to coach a Big Ten football team? Why would the U even consider him as a candidate?

What on earth would cause you to jump in here and make a sarcastic comment about the U other than your own personal politics?

You have to think of the public relations aspect of a hire. Someone who is politically outspoken as Birk would alienate a lot of people. Of course he'd never get hired as you said.
I have a feeling if this politically outspoken person’s politics aligned with yours, you’d be less concerned about him being hated.

Do you think Steve Kerr or Greg Popovich would be terrible hires as basketball coaches? I’d guess not.

Thoughts on Rossi? Probably best option to keep the roster and class in tact

Top Bottom