How do you feel about the state of program right now?

My friends that we tailgate with/sit next to at football games had a Badger fan with them this week. The subject of Gopher BB came up. To quote the Badger fan (completely serious) “Your new coach is looking pretty good”. When your most hated rival likes the guy you have in charge is pretty damning that he ain’t the right guy.

Ben needs an offensive Xs and Os coach. Their sets are awful, spacing sucks, no cuts, no movement. Fundamentals on D are awful. If all else falls, please stay between your man and the basket. The USF coach was coaching circles around Ben, flowing offensive sets, great spacing, and defensive awareness and guess what? He made adjustments!
He does. But it should have been mandated to him from day 1. I thought Thorsen was that guy. Clearly he's not. At worst it should have been mandated to him after last season. It wasn't. It's too late now.

My opinion is we all know what's happening the Thursday after weakling Wednesday.

This hire was a Minnesota media influenced hire. The media which largely hates Gophers men's sports conveniently laid out a narrative just prior to the coaching hiring process.

My belief is this may have influenced the hiring process by some degree.
As a result, we offered and hired a coach who may have been the least experienced Power 6 head coach to ever land a power 6 head coaching gig.

Provided with ample resources to do his job, and a salary probably hire than what would be appropriate for his experience, Ben was excited to say no to the offer. What we are seeing now is a coach who doesn't have a the basketball network of coaches, former coaches, and assistant coaches to be effective at this level, he is also woefully ill-prepared to deal with transfers due to his lack of having coaching relationships formed at many other Universities.

Having some of those relationships in place would have helped him land potential transfers and improve his coaching staff.

Instead we have what we have, and people are apathetic to it. Interesting to think who we could have landed had we not been so beaten down by the media.

I have no doubt Mark Coyle has his plan for the next 120 days and it involves watching a lot of other coaches.
Too easy to blame the media. The university made this decision for reasons they have functionally not revealed, ostensibly because of local connections in the basketball community. Classic over correction of weakness in the previous holder of the position. I’ve done it myself.

We can speculate all we want about motivations for the hire. What is almost impossible to deny is that it was a bad hire. What remains to be seen is how difficult it will be to get this program out of the dumpster.

The team has sucked for 3 years (really the majority of 20 years) but Thorson has coached for nearly 40 years and was the no.2 on NCAA tournament team the year before he came here.
Thorson is a so-called defensive guru, and yet this team has been between bad (2021) and atrocious (2022) during his tenure according to both the stats and eye-test.

The U is saving enough money on CBJ that they could have sprung for a legit no.2 assistant coach who has been an NCAA head coach before to mentor Ben, even if it was for only a year or two while said coach was waiting to get his next HC gig.

To put it best: I had completely forgot they played tonight until about 5 minutes into the game. That’s happened twice this year already.

That usually never happens with me.
This should put the fear of God into the management of the U. Anger can be engaged. Apathy is nearly impossible to cure.

Uhm...you really have zero idea about this coaching career, do you.

Google it yourself, it's worth a Google.
I understand he has some experience as an assistant coach at the NCAA level. He also has much more experience as a HS coach (hence my comment, may want to google it yourself). If you want to die on the hill over Thorson, have at it.

I no longer care and refuse to watch a single minute of this team as long as Johnson is coaching, and I’m someone who’s been a die-hard fan for 37 years and had season tickets. The decision to hire him was an abomination from Day One, and every day he remains in charge of this program is another day it drifts off my radar.

It would be very difficult to be anything but very down on this program right now. We have not played very well since the 11 minute mark of the Missouri game. It just looks like a team that will finish at or near the bottom in conference again and not even sniff NIT.

I have the loved Gopher hoops more than any other sport since I was a little kid watching Ray Williams and Mychal Thompson. I was in jr high when they won the Big Ten title in ‘82 and can remember them being on cover of sports illustrated when they beat Iowa that year. The Barn was amazing when Clem was here.

It’s never been the same since other than a run here and there with Tubby and Pitino. However, this is the lowest it has been since Monson’s last year. I remember thinking Dan has to go when I was at a game and could hear the assistant coaches talking with one another during the game. The Barn is like that now - you can get lower level tickets for $3. I have friends who dropped season tickets this year, and others who say this is it now. Coyle may have to make a change during the season just as happened to Monson, unless something dramatic happens. He has to send a message to fans that he cares as the AD about the product being put on the floor. I know Ben and like him. I don’t want to see this happen, but something dramatic has to happen - improved play, or… The Barn’s fans are easy to please. You just need a well-coached team that competes and they show up and make noise.

I have the loved Gopher hoops more than any other sport since I was a little kid watching Ray Williams and Mychal Thompson. I was in jr high when they won the Big Ten title in ‘82 and can remember them being on cover of sports illustrated when they beat Iowa that year. The Barn was amazing when Clem was here.

It’s never been the same since other than a run here and there with Tubby and Pitino. However, this is the lowest it has been since Monson’s last year. I remember thinking Dan has to go when I was at a game and could hear the assistant coaches talking with one another during the game. The Barn is like that now - you can get lower level tickets for $3. I have friends who dropped season tickets this year, and others who say this is it now. Coyle may have to make a change during the season just as happened to Monson, unless something dramatic happens. He has to send a message to fans that he cares as the AD about the product being put on the floor. I know Ben and like him. I don’t want to see this happen, but something dramatic has to happen - improved play, or… The Barn’s fans are easy to please. You just need a well-coached team that competes and they show up and make noise.
Monsons team quit on him in early December. That was the biggest reason the plug was pulled. I’m not sure I see them quitting. But the “I hope things get better “ ship has passed.

Monsons team quit on him in early December. That was the biggest reason the plug was pulled. I’m not sure I see them quitting. But the “I hope things get better “ ship has passed.
Yes, they did quit on Monson, but the fans had too. That is what is similar now, unfortunately. There is some talent on the floor, but there needs to be some evidence soon that they can be put in a position to succeed.

I am glad the Timberwolves are doing well because that is where I can go get my basketball fix.

At this point the Gophers are the equivalent of Boston College. They are the least important men's sports team in the area (and it pains me to say it).

I wanted to see Ben succeed. After tonight, I just can't see it happening. It's just a sad time to be a Gopher basketball fan.

I am not sure if I am more angry or sad about the state of the program. I was shocked when Ben Johnson was hired. I can't think of a hire in any sport where I immediately said "no chance" this will work aside from Ben Johnson. After putting up with Pitino for 8 years, at bargain basement prices by B1G standards, you'd think the U would have prioritized their fans by getting the best possible coach they could buy. It was just 8 years of the worst conference winning percentage in program history...and the response was to go bargain basement (yet somehow still overpay) and hire a guy with all the same red flags as Pitino (youth, lack of head coaching experience) but none of the success or name brand recognition? Further the guy was a former assistant for Pitino? It felt like the University was just spitting in my face for continuing to try to be invested in this program.

I have so little confidence in anyone associated with the University now and it's going to take a commitment we haven't seen in a long time to fix this. We couldn't afford a "rebuild" when we hired Johnson as fans were beyond tired of the losing at that point. It's doubly true now- we need a hire who can do what Otz did at Iowa State when he took over a team that was worse than Ben Johnson's 2nd year group...immediate turnaround. So you either need to hire a guy who can win with less like Otz did, or hire a bigger name that can bring players with him and win recruiting battles from the jump. I don't see the competence necessary to hire an Otz type who outperforms his pedigree or the vision/balls necessary to put together an offer for a Muss type that has won everywhere.

My opinion is we all know what's happening the Thursday after weakling Wednesday.

This hire was a Minnesota media influenced hire. The media which largely hates Gophers men's sports conveniently laid out a narrative just prior to the coaching hiring process.

My belief is this may have influenced the hiring process by some degree.
As a result, we offered and hired a coach who may have been the least experienced Power 6 head coach to ever land a power 6 head coaching gig.

Provided with ample resources to do his job, and a salary probably hire than what would be appropriate for his experience, Ben was excited to say no to the offer. What we are seeing now is a coach who doesn't have a the basketball network of coaches, former coaches, and assistant coaches to be effective at this level, he is also woefully ill-prepared to deal with transfers due to his lack of having coaching relationships formed at many other Universities.

Having some of those relationships in place would have helped him land potential transfers and improve his coaching staff.

Instead we have what we have, and people are apathetic to it. Interesting to think who we could have landed had we not been so beaten down by the media.

I have no doubt Mark Coyle has his plan for the next 120 days and it involves watching a lot of other coaches.

You seriously said that. Their is no media conspiracy against them. The Gopher program can screw up just fine on their own.

I am not sure if I am more angry or sad about the state of the program. I was shocked when Ben Johnson was hired. I can't think of a hire in any sport where I immediately said "no chance" this will work aside from Ben Johnson. After putting up with Pitino for 8 years, at bargain basement prices by B1G standards, you'd think the U would have prioritized their fans by getting the best possible coach they could buy. It was just 8 years of the worst conference winning percentage in program history...and the response was to go bargain basement (yet somehow still overpay) and hire a guy with all the same red flags as Pitino (youth, lack of head coaching experience) but none of the success or name brand recognition? Further the guy was a former assistant for Pitino? It felt like the University was just spitting in my face for continuing to try to be invested in this program.

I have so little confidence in anyone associated with the University now and it's going to take a commitment we haven't seen in a long time to fix this. We couldn't afford a "rebuild" when we hired Johnson as fans were beyond tired of the losing at that point. It's doubly true now- we need a hire who can do what Otz did at Iowa State when he took over a team that was worse than Ben Johnson's 2nd year group...immediate turnaround. So you either need to hire a guy who can win with less like Otz did, or hire a bigger name that can bring players with him and win recruiting battles from the jump. I don't see the competence necessary to hire an Otz type who outperforms his pedigree or the vision/balls necessary to put together an offer for a Muss type that has won everywhere.
We are also to compete in Basketball and football and in the Womans program volleyball and basketball find boostees to build up a NIL bank. Otheewise we always will get 2nd level recruits. Now i will contradict myself. I actually think this group of players on Ben's team have talent and potential we lost badly in a scrimmage against a good Colorado State team ( unbeaten), lost by blowing a big lead to a above average Missouri team and lost away to a above average WCC team in San Francisco. They will not lose another non concference gam ( and there schedule was not as poor as we wwre lead to beliece and i believe in conference and confeeence tournanent games in the Big Ten we will will win 6-8 or 9 game whichch puts there total at 16-19 wins and a NIT bertg!

That reminds me of an old saying: there's never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it over. If you don't do something right, you always end up doing it over. And here we are.

We are also to compete in Basketball and football and in the Womans program volleyball and basketball find boostees to build up a NIL bank. Otheewise we always will get 2nd level recruits. Now i will contradict myself. I actually think this group of players on Ben's team have talent and potential we lost badly in a scrimmage against a good Colorado State team ( unbeaten), lost by blowing a big lead to a above average Missouri team and lost away to a above average WCC team in San Francisco. They will not lose another non concference gam ( and there schedule was not as poor as we wwre lead to beliece and i believe in conference and confeeence tournanent games in the Big Ten we will will win 6-8 or 9 game whichch puts there total at 16-19 wins and a NIT bertg!
16-15 is not making the NIT in any recent years. I'm not familiar with the specifics of the recent changes, but they would generally need 19 or 20 wins just to make the NIT with this embarrassing non conference schedule.

A team typically takes on the personality//persona of the COACH. Ben Johnson is emotionless and stands with his arms crossed all FING game. He may be a good assistant, but is not head coach material.

It is too bad that the U has swung and missed terribly on this hire. They thought because he is a person of color and local he could bring in the talent and keep the talent in the state.

Bottom line is that he is a BAD coach. He makes no adjustments at all, he lets his players take bad fing shots all over the place, and he has yet to recruit a LEAD GUARD!!!

We have little to no shooting on this roster. Just plain and simple. Another wasted year!!

I really love the casual racism in this thread.

Well done.
How is it racist to be stating a factor of why Ben Johnson was hired, a factor with high levels of truth. First of all, I love BJ the guy, the person, but as a coach, no one can say the hire has been great. Not all hires turn out, but BJ's resume up to getting this job, was on the very low end of what qualifications you need to get a job like this. Like show me another example of a guy with only assistant coaching experience (was he ever even a #2 assistant for a head coach?) who was hired to a power 5 conference, who wasnt groomed by a well respected predecessor (BJ was not) who wasn't a legend in their basketball community, in basketball in general. BJ is not a legend. In regards to your claim on a racist remark, its pretty clear to any objective party, that following the George Floyd summer, there was a big push nationally, and even more so locally, to hire more candidates of color. George Floyd happened in Minneapolis, the most emotion and push for change came from Minneapolis, and many felt they needed to be this change, to be at the forefront of it, the UM in particular. You can pretend this didn't happen across the US, at the UM, or with Ben Johnson, but the fact is he was hired following this highly charged time, and the UM was one of the loudest proponents of wanting to be more inclusive. Ben Johnson deserved a college head coach chance, Im just not sure UM is where he should have started. Lets give him the full season, but to say his race wasnt a factor at all for being hired, following a time where there was the biggest push in national history to hire people of color, is being really naive.

Last edited:

Too easy to blame the media. The university made this decision for reasons they have functionally not revealed, ostensibly because of local connections in the basketball community. Classic over correction of weakness in the previous holder of the position. I’ve done it myself.

We can speculate all we want about motivations for the hire. What is almost impossible to deny is that it was a bad hire. What remains to be seen is how difficult it will be to get this program out of the dumpster.
Here we are again, with people blaming the usual boogeymen under the bed: the "administration" and the media. To me, that's part of the show of resignation I posted about earlier: you throw up your hands, blame the boogeymen, and feel good that you've solved the mystery. I do think that brand of consumer apathy is part of the problem in these parts. I know that probably sounds like blaming the fans, but we are pretty meek and mild as fan bases go, and we haven't gotten to be awful at every major sport in this town by purely bad luck.

To the extent the athletic department and the AD are the administration, then yes, I suppose that's a good deal of the problem. But we can name names rather than imply a shadow government conspiracy.

Ben's disgrace is Coyle's disgrace. He's the author of this. It's about time he gets serious heat from fans and boosters, and I don't see that happening.

Top Bottom