How bad could Buggs be? ... 2/25/14 Update: Not bad at all!

I don't think anybody had a problem with year one under Tubby. It was years four, five, and six where the frustration started to build. Pretty sure Kentucky fans would say the same thing.

Thanks for the link.........just read it.

What's the reason?

Did his team get lucky? Did he win with the previous coaches recruits or did Tubby decide maybe it was time to work at it again and take responsibility?

You'll have to explain it to me because I don't follow Tubby anymore and I don't give a **** since we finally got rid of him.

Oops, almost forgot to ask. Are you related to TS?

I don't think anybody had a problem with year one under Tubby. It was years four, five, and six where the frustration started to build. Pretty sure Kentucky fans would say the same thing.

Kentucky fans only dream of those days. They have a coach who turned their program to a pitstop to NBA. How many of these players would come back and say they were a wildcat? Winning is not everything. Running a clean program is everything.

Thanks for the link.........just read it.

What's the reason?

Did his team get lucky? Did he win with the previous coaches recruits or did Tubby decide maybe it was time to work at it again and take responsibility?

You'll have to explain it to me because I don't follow Tubby anymore and I don't give a **** since we finally got rid of him.

Oops, almost forgot to ask. Are you related to TS?

I think he has the players who are mentally tough as it says in the article. Gophers lost so many games because they were so soft. We see the same thing this year also. No, I am not. Like you, I am just a fan.

I think he has the players who are mentally tough as it says in the article. Gophers lost so many games because they were so soft. We see the same thing this year also. No, I am not. Like you, I am just a fan.

Most likely the majority of both team's players were recruited by the previous coaches.

So you're saying Tubby recruited mentally soft players here and inherited mentally tough players. So does Tubby get credit when we win this year and does Pitino get credit when we lose? Also, does Tubby get credit when he wins in Texas Tech and the previous coach gets the credit when they lose?

I thought this thread was about Charles Buggs but maybe I'm wrong?

Nope, not related to NT....I assume that is MR Teague you are referring to. I seem nervous?....how so? Just a long time fan......I'll explain in new thread. But since you brought up Norwood Teague I will relate what Souhan said a couple of days ago. "I(Souhan) have heard from several sources inside the athletic dept, that Teague was thoroughly disgusted with the way Tubby ran the program." I'll never stop bashing Tubby, but I will try to cut it back.

I don't have a lot of "sources" but from the few I do have, I heard the same things as Souhan. Not that Teague was disgusted by it, just that it was a huge mess.

Kentucky fans only dream of those days. They have a coach who turned their program to a pitstop to NBA. How many of these players would come back and say they were a wildcat? Winning is not everything. Running a clean program is everything.
Monson was squeaky clean. Why did he get fired?

If running a clean program is everything, then that means winning is nothing. Apparently in TRT's world, coaches should be paid based on their ability to avoid breaking rules and winning shouldn't even enter the equation. I suppose if you just didn't do anything at all you would be considered a great coach in his mind.

Who knows? I would guess no though. Pitino has spoken highly of him at times and seems to think his potential is off the charts. Pitino also hasn't been afraid of putting him in the game when we are in foul trouble. I'd say Pitino has treated Buggs and Wally quite differently. I'd also guess that he wants Wally to transfer or switch to Track full time.

I don't think he wants him to transfer either. Seems to me that transfers are done by kids that redshirt. Wally did not redshirt so one more year is not a big deal. It would be a big deal for Buggs. Not playing 2out of 3 years. I have gone to both of the Badger games this year and Buggs is an athlete. I was really impressed with him during warm ups.

ItThink that RJ thinks he lacks lateral skills and is more of a straight line athlete I don't about that but it could be. I think it is something else. Might be just not practicing the way Coach wants or not catching on to the plays.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pitino is freezing him out. Wally is definitely being frozen out.

I just find it hard to believe that a coach would not play a couple a guys solely to try and get them to transfer. If Pitino felt either one of these guys getting minutes would help us, then they would be playing in my opinion.

I just find it hard to believe that a coach would not play a couple a guys solely to try and get them to transfer. If Pitino felt either one of these guys getting minutes would help us, then they would be playing in my opinion.

That's right. He's not freezing out Wally solely because he doesn't necessarily like Wally. He's freezing him out because Wally cannot play. It's a message. "Hey kid, you're good enough to play here. Maybe you should consider going somewhere else." He may also not like Wally or the family, but I cannot say anything about that.

This is becoming very funny. 1. Tubby did make it to the dance with these guys along with unmotivated Rod and semi-healthy Trevor. Therefore it was possible this year too.

Having Williams and Mbakwe down low is still a lot better than what we have this year and I don't know how anyone can argue differently.

2. Ellis is doing very well in MSU so he would have neen an instant inpact. Foster will be huge. He played in one game for a few minutes and crowd loved him. He is behind 2 players in the dept chart so playing time is limtted for him.

This all may be true, but they would still be freshman, and it would be extremely hard to expect them to do a ton. Certainly wouldn't expect them to make the kind of impact DeAndre and Malik have made this year.

King is Richard's recruit and next year's recruit won't be an upgrade.

I think even King's biggest critics don't blame Pitino for bringing him in. We had such a huge hole at the 4 spot. If Buckles would have been able to transfer, King could have possibly redshirted which would have been big for him.

As for next year's class, on paper, at the very least it's at the same level as what Tubby's last one at MN would have been like. You can't talk about how great Ellis and Foster are in one sentence and then downplay this class in another.

How long are you guys going to blame it on Tubby????

The fact is, if Tubby was still coaching here, DeAndre and Malik wouldn't be on the team and more than likely Mo would still be "big" Mo.

I defended Tubby just as much as anyone, but even I know this probably would have been a very tough year without some of the guys Pitino brought in.

I have nothing against Tubby, I hope he does very well at Texas Tech. I'm just glad he is not coaching at the U anymore.

That's right. He's not freezing out Wally solely because he doesn't necessarily like Wally. He's freezing him out because Wally cannot play. It's a message. "Hey kid, you're good enough to play here. Maybe you should consider going somewhere else." He may also not like Wally or the family, but I cannot say anything about that.

What are the scholarship limits for track and field? I assume that not a lot of athletes are on full scholarship...He has a gf on the women's team and his future is in track, if I were him, I might be content riding the pine on full scholarship for track.

What are the scholarship limits for track and field? I assume that not a lot of athletes are on full scholarship...He has a gf on the women's team and his future is in track, if I were him, I might be content riding the pine on full scholarship for track.

That's what I would do to. Track would only get him a partial scholarship. Why not suffer through practice and sitting on the bench in order to get a full ride?

But, if he truly wants to play basketball, which is possible, then Wally will not be in Minnesota next season.

That's what I would do to. Track would only get him a partial scholarship. Why not suffer through practice and sitting on the bench in order to get a full ride?

But, if he truly wants to play basketball, which is possible, then Wally will not be in Minnesota next season.

If Piper and Mahmoud/ Gueye commit, it may not be Wally's choice if someone else doesn't transfer. I still think Wally's a whinny little bitch, but if he starts taking responsibility, works hard and earns some minutes at the wing next year, I would respect him. Sometimes the light bulb turns on later than it should. If Pitino thinks Wally's only sticking it out for track so he can get a full ride, I don't think he will let Wally waste a scholly for two more years, Scholly's are only annual, nothing's promised for four years.

I don't think he wants him to transfer either. Seems to me that transfers are done by kids that redshirt. Wally did not redshirt so one more year is not a big deal. It would be a big deal for Buggs. Not playing 2out of 3 years. I have gone to both of the Badger games this year and Buggs is an athlete. I was really impressed with him during warm ups.

ItThink that RJ thinks he lacks lateral skills and is more of a straight line athlete I don't about that but it could be. I think it is something else. Might be just not practicing the way Coach wants or not catching on to the plays.

I don't think you have a fuching clue what you are talking about.

Hayes is 6'7" and anywhere from 230 to 250. He has good footwork, quickness, power, at the 4 spot. He will be a great college player. He could not and will not be able to play sf at the NBA level, he just doesn't have the lateral quickness. I expect he will be a good undersized pf like C. Smith, Trent, L. Johnson, etc.

I think Hayes has been wonderful this year and really had a good game against the gophers last week. But I am not sold yet on his nba potential. He will be too small to play power forward and I am not sure he has the ball handling skills to play the small forward / guard role in the pros.

Also some have posted martin is up to 6'10". Who knows if that is true but he will be an instant upgrade at the power forward in size, athleticism and grit for mn.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pitino on freshman PF Charles Buggs: "He's the only guy on this team that physically he's not ready to compete." <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/435873470602149888">February 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Go Gophers!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pitino on freshman PF Charles Buggs: "He's the only guy on this team that physically he's not ready to compete." <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/435873470602149888">February 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
Go Gophers!

The 2nd annual Gopher player ultimatum might be for Charles Buggs to GAIN weight by eating more and hitting the weights.

Go Gophers!

Looks like Marcus followed up on my request for a Pitino comment on Buggs. Probably a good thing that he cited Buggs' lack of size/physicality as the reason he isn't playing and not attitude, skill level, or mental capacity.

I'm admittedly dumb with this kind of thing but are King and Oto really beyond marginally more built/strong/whatever than Buggs? It's be one thing if he was riding the pine behind Mbakwe or someone like that but this doesn't add up completely to me.

I'm admittedly dumb with this kind of thing but are King and Oto really beyond marginally more built/strong/whatever than Buggs? It's be one thing if he was riding the pine behind Mbakwe or someone like that but this doesn't add up completely to me.

According to the roster they weigh more and Bugg is probably 1-2" taller so yeah they are more built/strong/whatever.

ETA, According to GopherSports: Buggs - 6'9 210. King - 6'9 225. Oto - 6'8 220.

No way King is as tall as Buggs though.

I'm all for playing Charles. He can't possibly give us any less than Oto or Joey.

According to the roster they weigh more and Bugg is probably 1-2" taller so yeah they are more built/strong/whatever.

ETA, According to GopherSports: Buggs - 6'9 210. King - 6'9 225. Oto - 6'8 220.

No way King is as tall as Buggs though.

King is 6'6'' at best.

I'm all for playing Charles. He can't possibly give us any less than Oto or Joey.

In his spots, Joey can score. Earlier in the year, Oto was much more aggressive. Not sure what's going on now. The alternative is not someone who is not ready to compete, but a four guard line-up with Elliott or Mo in the post. But I want Charles to be good. I am rooting for him more than any other Gopher I have ever been clueless about.

Top Bottom