How bad could Buggs be? ... 2/25/14 Update: Not bad at all!

Who knows? I would guess no though. Pitino has spoken highly of him at times and seems to think his potential is off the charts. Pitino also hasn't been afraid of putting him in the game when we are in foul trouble. I'd say Pitino has treated Buggs and Wally quite differently. I'd also guess that he wants Wally to transfer or switch to Track full time.

I guess I don't understand why he's not getting some minutes then. He really can't be much worse than Oto's been the last month and at least there's upside. I'm hopeful it could be like Andre Ingram in 2012. He looked completely hopeless for 4 months, then suddenly found something in March.

Do we think Pitino wants Buggs to transfer after this year? Could this be a reason to not give him any minutes? (In addition to the fact that he's a marginal upgrade at best.)

This is what I've thought for awhile now too. No Wally and no Buggs next year. We'll see.

I guess I don't understand why he's not getting some minutes then. He really can't be much worse than Oto's been the last month and at least there's upside. I'm hopeful it could be like Andre Ingram in 2012. He looked completely hopeless for 4 months, then suddenly found something in March.

He's a freshman tweener/combo forward. I'm not too worried about it. I've already stated I think he plays over Oto next year if both are still on the roster.

He's a freshman tweener/combo forward. I'm not too worried about it. I've already stated I think he plays over Oto next year if both are still on the roster.

If you believe the relatively new poster on this site that claims to have a connection to Pitino.....maybe he is legit, maybe he is not. But if he is legit and he claims that up to three players will transfer after this year, isn't Buggs one of those three?

Just imagine how bad we'd be if the Tubbster was still running the show...... His prize recruits Mav, Wally, Oto, Buggs and EE on the court together! No Deandre, Malik Smith, King or Mo Walker since he'd still be obese. Would we even have 1 BIG victory at this point without the Hollins' going off for 50+?

I've been a bit of a Tubby defender here (even though I did agree it was time for a change) but I don't think there is any way I could defend that lineup. That said I'd agree with a few other posters here to give some time to Buggs. I think maybe some time playing during the press and a few other moments but he has shown he is pretty unreliable on D to leave him in for long periods at a time. With some specific instructions perhaps spot duty here and there but until he can play decent D and not be lost it's going to be a minute or two here and there at the most.

On ESPN, Nigel was a 4 star player, #22 pf in the country, 3rd best player in Ohio. Martin is a 3*, #34 pf in the country. I am only using ESPN because that is what is easiest for me. I hope I am wrong but it would be foolhardidly to expect Martin to suprise as well as Nigel did. He is probably playing like a top 5 pf freshman, if Martin plays like Schilling has played for Michigan State I will be happy.
We have a good team this year and we will next year, it depends on what you mean by good? Tubby's team last year had 2 starters who could shoot the 3, no true pg, ya he had athletic forwards. Let's be patient and let our coach build something. Dekkar and Hayes are two of the toughest matchups in the big ten, let's not get over dramatic.

Here's hoping there isn't that much of a drop off from 22 to 34.

Do we think Pitino wants Buggs to transfer after this year? Could this be a reason to not give him any minutes? (In addition to the fact that he's a marginal upgrade at best.)

I'm hoping not. I guess to me Buggs is that kind of tweener I'd like to keep around just to give us a favorable matchup in certain games.

What could it hurt now to give Buggs significant action at PF? He's looked good in the very few minutes he's gotten this year, and it's not like the other two are doing anything...

What could it hurt now to give Buggs significant action at PF? He's looked good in the very few minutes he's gotten this year, and it's not like the other two are doing anything...

Huh? Little bit like the "Why doesn't Tubby play Chip more?" Armelin showed more than Buggs has, but he transferred to a lot weaker league, and the last report I saw on him indicates he wasn't exactly setting it on fire. Again, Pitino sees Buggs every day and Pitino is more than aware of how over-matched Joey and Oto are. If he thought it was an upgrade, Buggs would be getting those minutes. Who knows? After last night that might have changed things. Or the bulb will suddenly go on? Sad as it is, Joey and Oto have given us the best chance so far. Not sure why so many can't recognize that.

Pitino has forgotten more about basketball then you will ever know...get off his back man! Tubby has moved on time to get over it and not hate on pitino and otto just because the gophs lose on the road to a top 25 team

What the hell are you talking about. Brain trust you aint. I didn't write this as an email to Pitino and I am not a Tubby lover by any stretch. This is a message board where we as fans discuss things...things like who should play and how is our team performing. If you can't deal, go somewhere else. In other words...go pound sand!

On ESPN, Nigel was a 4 star player, #22 pf in the country, 3rd best player in Ohio. Martin is a 3*, #34 pf in the country. I am only using ESPN because that is what is easiest for me. I hope I am wrong but it would be foolhardidly to expect Martin to suprise as well as Nigel did. He is probably playing like a top 5 pf freshman, if Martin plays like Schilling has played for Michigan State I will be happy.
We have a good team this year and we will next year, it depends on what you mean by good? Tubby's team last year had 2 starters who could shoot the 3, no true pg, ya he had athletic forwards. Let's be patient and let our coach build something. Dekkar and Hayes are two of the toughest matchups in the big ten, let's not get over dramatic.

Hayes is going to be off the charts good. His ability is at a level where he will someday be an NBA small forward and a good one. Just a great shooter from 15 feet and he has quickness, power, a fee for the game and some hops.

Hayes is going to be off the charts good. His ability is at a level where he will someday be an NBA small forward and a good one. Just a great shooter from 15 feet and he has quickness, power, a fee for the game and some hops.

He has a lot of work ahead of him if he wants to be a "good" NBA SF. Right now he is on pace to be an Alando Tucker type player, great in college and good enough to get drafted but may not stick in the league.

Huh? Little bit like the "Why doesn't Tubby play Chip more?" Armelin showed more than Buggs has, but he transferred to a lot weaker league, and the last report I saw on him indicates he wasn't exactly setting it on fire. Again, Pitino sees Buggs every day and Pitino is more than aware of how over-matched Joey and Oto are. If he thought it was an upgrade, Buggs would be getting those minutes. Who knows? After last night that might have changed things. Or the bulb will suddenly go on? Sad as it is, Joey and Oto have given us the best chance so far. Not sure why so many can't recognize that.

^^

Amelia or Marcus should ask Pitino about Buggs development this season. It would be interesting to hear what Pitino would have to say. Could give us an idea of whether we should expect to see Buggs in Minnesota next season.

Meh, don't agree with the comparison. Not saying Buggs is an upgrade, otherwise the thread would be title Play Buggs More like so many of the Chip threads were similarly titled. But after watching the idiotic mistakes being made over and over by the Oto/King turnover machine, the question is still relevant, how bad must Buggs be to not get playing time?

Amelia or Marcus should ask Pitino about Buggs development this season. It would be interesting to hear what Pitino would have to say. Could give us an idea of whether we should expect to see Buggs in Minnesota next season.

This is exactly right and I hope this happens.

And also agree with Gopher in Philly- this is simply a thread that is wishing that Buggs blossums. He has raw ability, we all know that the emphasis is on raw- big time- but we are hoping the lights come on and soon as part of the improvement of this team. Nobody is saying that the coach hasn't a clue on Buggs but rather we are hopeful on the kid.

I tweeted at Marcus to ask about Buggs next opportunity he gets and he "favorited" the tweet. So maybe we'll hear something in the coming weeks.

This is exactly right and I hope this happens.

And also agree with Gopher in Philly- this is simply a thread that is wishing that Buggs blossums. He has raw ability, we all know that the emphasis is on raw- big time- but we are hoping the lights come on and soon as part of the improvement of this team. Nobody is saying that the coach hasn't a clue on Buggs but rather we are hopeful on the kid.

Do you guys really think if Pitino felt Buggs had no future in the Big Ten he would come out and say it publicly?

I could pretty much write the script for him.

Do you guys really think if Pitino felt Buggs had no future in the Big Ten he would come out and say it publicly?

I could pretty much write the script for him.

Wrong, 19. Our experts have already declared gloom and doom for Buggs, so your analysis would not be considered by them.

Hayes is 6'7" and anywhere from 230 to 250. He has good footwork, quickness, power, at the 4 spot. He will be a great college player. He could not and will not be able to play sf at the NBA level, he just doesn't have the lateral quickness. I expect he will be a good undersized pf like C. Smith, Trent, L. Johnson, etc.

Wrong, 19. Our experts have already declared gloom and doom for Buggs, so your analysis would not be considered by them.

"I really think Dr.Don has great upside here on Gopherhole. Right now he is behind those with more experience but his time will come. He needs to hit the weights this off-season concentrate on his defense. Just remember he is only an 85 year old sophomore so he has plenty of time to grow. The sky is the limit for a great young man."

Meh, don't agree with the comparison. Not saying Buggs is an upgrade, otherwise the thread would be title Play Buggs More like so many of the Chip threads were similarly titled. But after watching the idiotic mistakes being made over and over by the Oto/King turnover machine, the question is still relevant, how bad must Buggs be to not get playing time?

Quite bad. Duh.

I've been a bit of a Tubby defender here (even though I did agree it was time for a change) but I don't think there is any way I could defend that lineup. That said I'd agree with a few other posters here to give some time to Buggs. I think maybe some time playing during the press and a few other moments but he has shown he is pretty unreliable on D to leave him in for long periods at a time. With some specific instructions perhaps spot duty here and there but until he can play decent D and not be lost it's going to be a minute or two here and there at the most.

This is becoming very funny. 1. Tubby did make it to the dance with these guys along with unmotivated Rod and semi-healthy Trevor. Therefore it was possible this year too. 2. Ellis is doing very well in MSU so he would have neen an instant inpact. Foster will be huge. He played in one game for a few minutes and crowd loved him. He is behind 2 players in the dept chart so playing time is limtted for him. 2. I thought that Oto and EE were developed by Richard, what happened? 3. King is Richard's recruit and next year's recruit won't be an upgrade. 4. How can a player get better if he stays on the bench?

How long are you guys going to blame it on Tubby????

Station 19, are you related to NT???? You seem to be very nervous these days.

This is becoming very funny. 1. Tubby did make it to the dance with these guys along with unmotivated Rod and semi-healthy Trevor. Therefore it was possible this year too. 2. Ellis is doing very well in MSU so he would have neen an instant inpact. Foster will be huge. He played in one game for a few minutes and crowd loved him. He is behind 2 players in the dept chart so playing time is limtted for him. 2. I thought that Oto and EE were developed by Richard, what happened? 3. King is Richard's recruit and next year's recruit won't be an upgrade. 4. How can a player get better if he stays on the bench?

Approximately how many rooms in your home are dedicated to a shrine of Tubby? Probably all of them. If I had to guess, your IQ must be below 50.

Nope, not related to NT....I assume that is MR Teague you are referring to. I seem nervous?....how so?

Just a long time fan......I'll explain in new thread. But since you brought up Norwood Teague I will relate what Souhan said a couple of days ago. "I(Souhan) have heard from several sources inside the athletic dept, that Teague was thoroughly disgusted with the way Tubby ran the program."

I'll never stop bashing Tubby, but I will try to cut it back.

Nope, not related to NT....I assume that is MR Teague you are referring to. I seem nervous?....how so?

Just a long time fan......I'll explain in new thread. But since you brought up Norwood Teague I will relate what Souhan said a couple of days ago. "I(Souhan) have heard from several sources inside the athletic dept, that Teague was thoroughly disgusted with the way Tubby ran the program."

I'll never stop bashing Tubby, but I will try to cut it back.

Sure, you may want read this article while bashing him: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/smith-39-style-creates-family-200931909--ncaab.html

Isn't that irrelevant? The article is about Texas Tech not Minnesota. Isn't it possible that a coach who was fired could do something different at his next job? Isn't it also possible that different schools, different situations, different cities, different cultures, different players, and so on could lead to different outcomes than in Minnesota in terms of coach-player relationships and how a coach runs a program?

If your answer is no to the second question, then we know what you're all about, and it's not the real truth.

Top Bottom