Hey Tubby Haters!!!!

There is no help coming next year. Ellenson and Buggs are simply second rate. Admit it. You WANT to like them, but how can you? Is either one even close to a top 150 recruit? No. That's my biggest problem with Tubby. His 2012 class is at the bottom of the conference.

You know, for a big Gopher fan, you don't seem to be much of a fan of the Gophers.

You know, for a big Gopher fan, you don't seem to be much of a fan of the Gophers.

I read into it the same as you mattw1067. BigGopherFan is actually not a fan of our Minnesota Gophers. He is a BigGopherFan of only the Gophers of Chosen Valley High School in Chatfield, MN.

Katze, you're dislike for the word "hater" is comically pathetic. It is a common word in the world today, it will be used by people of all walks of life once this generation is fully immersed in the work force. Get used it.

Huh? I doubt it. Even today's kids will grow up at some point. It is an over used word that means nothing. Does OP really think people hate Tubby? Why? Because some want a different coach? Dumb. Juvenile outlook.

minngg said:
Huh? I doubt it. Even today's kids will grow up at some point. It is an over used word that means nothing. Does OP really think people hate Tubby? Why? Because some want a different coach? Dumb. Juvenile outlook.
Tubby hater.

To whomever said that Buggs and Ellenson are second rate recruits and won't contribute, I don't believe that either Austin Hollins or EE were top 150 either, and I've liked what I've seen from them. Sure EE redshirted and Austin wasn't a major contributor last year, and I suppose I don't really expect either of next year's recruits to be getting a lot of minutes either, but in their sophomore year and onward, they could become quite solid players. Austin Hollins is doing a fine job, and he's only a sophomore. After an exhibition game this season, some people were already writing off EE as a D2 caliber player who only might start to contribute as an upperclassman, but he plays well with the minutes he gets this year as a redshirt freshman.

There is no help coming next year. Ellenson and Buggs are simply second rate. Admit it. You WANT to like them, but how can you? Is either one even close to a top 150 recruit? No. That's my biggest problem with Tubby. His 2012 class is at the bottom of the conference.

For not being a Gopher fan, I sure spend a lot of money on University of Minnesota apparel, tickets and donations.

To whomever said that Buggs and Ellenson are second rate recruits and won't contribute, I don't believe that either Austin Hollins or EE were top 150 either, and I've liked what I've seen from them. Sure EE redshirted and Austin wasn't a major contributor last year, and I suppose I don't really expect either of next year's recruits to be getting a lot of minutes either, but in their sophomore year and onward, they could become quite solid players. Austin Hollins is doing a fine job, and he's only a sophomore. After an exhibition game this season, some people were already writing off EE as a D2 caliber player who only might start to contribute as an upperclassman, but he plays well with the minutes he gets this year as a redshirt freshman.

Just what Minnesota needs, another "solid" player (sarcasm). This entire team is full of "solid" players. Outside of Coleman, there does not appear to be one serious CONSISTENT play-maker on the roster (and even Coleman is still young and unproven).

Tubby seems to have assembled an entire team of pretty decent players with little upside that sort of play hard but lack enthusiasm. They don't get blown out very often, but boy, they don't win all that often either. THIS TEAM NEEDS A PROGRAM-CHANGING PRESENCE ON THE FLOOR AND NOT JUST ANOTHER SOLID ROLE PLAYER!!!! So, Ellenson and Buggs are disappointing signees in my opinion.

BigGopherFan said:
Just what Minnesota needs, another "solid" player (sarcasm). This entire team is full of "solid" players. Outside of Coleman, there does not appear to be one serious CONSISTENT play-maker on the roster (and even Coleman is still young and unproven).

Tubby seems to have assembled an entire team of pretty decent players with little upside that sort of play hard but lack enthusiasm. They don't get blown out very often, but boy, they don't win all that often either. THIS TEAM NEEDS A PROGRAM-CHANGING PRESENCE ON THE FLOOR AND NOT JUST ANOTHER SOLID ROLE PLAYER!!!! So, Ellenson and Buggs are disappointing signees in my opinion.

13-5 isn't all that often?

And do you think "program changers" grow in trees? Kentucky doesn't even get a program changer every year. How many players from Dukes title team were "program changers"? None are even in the NBA!

But if you know someone that could get shabaz Muhammad to Minnesota. Please start emailing maturi.

I'd suggest the NBA for you. That seems to be more the style of basketball you prefer.

And do you think "program changers" grow in trees? Kentucky doesn't even get a program changer every year. How many players from Dukes title team were "program changers"? None are even in the NBA!

But if you know someone that could get shabaz Muhammad to Minnesota. Please start emailing maturi.

I'd suggest the NBA for you. That seems to be more the style of basketball you prefer.

Instead of PROGRAM CHANGER I should have used DIFFERENCE MAKER. In my opinion, I don't see Ellenson or Buggs as DIFFERENCE MAKERS.

And when I say this team doesn't win all that often, I'm obviously talking about Big Ten games, not the soft nonconference contests. Under Smith, Minnesota has struggled to win conference games, bottom line.

They have, however, grouped a couple wins together, one of which was very impressive, and things are looking better at the moment. But as a whole, Tubby still doesn't have a win-loss record in league games to warrant any type of contract extension. If he can get this team to the NCAA Tournament, he deserves all the credit in the world. Anything less would mean 10-plus losses in conference -- and that's not good enough.

And by the way, I love the NBA!

Here's a previous qoute from you. Anyway, I am seriously impressed with this squad. There appears to be so many weapons. Every player seems to be accepting their individual roles beautifully. Welch is legit, Rodney does it all, Ralph is high percentage, Coleman is quick, Austin is complete and Oto can shoot. And that's just part of the unit. And let's not forget Tubby. I've been as harsh on him as anyone but right now, he is pushing all the right buttons. These guys look motivated and in tune with a concrete gameplan. Of course I'm sure you remember your qoute about the Gopher baseball team last season also?

Tubby has assembled a great roster IMO. If you don't think Mbakwe is a difference maker then you don't know basketball IMO. Mo Walker would be a difference maker as well. It's not Tubby's fault these guys are injured. I think Welch and Coleman are doing pretty well.

KY doesn't get a game changer every year? No, they get 3 or 4 of them.

minngg said:
KY doesn't get a game changer every year? No, they get 3 or 4 of them.

Program changer. Not game changer. There's a difference.

notagopherfan said:
Tubby has assembled a great roster IMO. If you don't think Mbakwe is a difference maker then you don't know basketball IMO. Mo Walker would be a difference maker as well. It's not Tubby's fault these guys are injured. I think Welch and Coleman are doing pretty well.
This Gopherholer gets it. It's what I have been freakin saying for weeks! Add the departures of what turned out to be troublemakers like Royce and Tubby recruited well.

Problem is, Tubby ISN'T a difference maker. Doesn't matter who he gets,
they won't get better.

oops, meant conference games.

Not sure where you are getting the numbers.

We are not 3-17 in our last 20 conference games.

Not that is is much better, but MN is 6-14 in the last 20 Big Ten Conference games (7-13 if you are talking about the last 20 regular season Big Ten games). Again, not great, but not 3-17 bad, either.

Not sure where you are getting the numbers.

We are not 3-17 in our last 20 conference games.

Not that is is much better, but MN is 6-14 in the last 20 Big Ten Conference games (7-13 if you are talking about the last 20 regular season Big Ten games). Again, not great, but not 3-17 bad, either.

Yeah I don't know, you are probably right. I ain't so good wit dem numbers

Good one Don.

Haters gonna hate.

Let me explain my stance for Patski here. I don't hate Tubby Smith. I like Tubby Smith. I like the Gopher basketball program more. I want to see us win. I do not want to see us stuck in mediocrity for years under an unmotivated coach. If Tubby turns this around this year I will support him. If not, I do not want him extended. Case closed.

Let me explain my stance for Patski here. I don't hate Tubby Smith. I like Tubby Smith. I like the Gopher basketball program more. I want to see us win. I do not want to see us stuck in mediocrity for years under an unmotivated coach. If Tubby turns this around this year I will support him. If not, I do not want him extended. Case closed.

Shut up Tubby hater.

I'm curious, why do you say he's "an unmotivated coach"? Do you attend practice and meetings? Is there rumors flying around that he doesn't work hard in recruiting?

I have no idea if he unmotivated or not, just wondering how you know this.

Top Bottom