Hey Tubby Haters!!!!

Great game by Tubby! He used time outs when Indiana's runs started. Believe me the tubby of old would let them go 12-0 and not call one. Also congrats on not doubling a post player and leaving 3pt shooters open. Also congrats on good substitution patterns.

Well good win for Tubby, he done someting we could not.

Tubby was a good coach up unill is last 2 years here, but it has been downill for him ever since.

haha

"Minnesota, of course, was 0-4 in the Big Ten. Gopher Hole was starting to turn into Vitriol Hole, and the national view was putting Tubby Smith on the hot seat."

quoted from an article in the startribune

Wow, we won a big ten game! Time for Joel to back up the truck and give him a lifetime contract so when the new AD has to fire him it will cost us even more.

One of the main arguments against Tubby (I have no clue why ...) is that he values defense too much and no one likes defense, etc.

Just wanted to point out this quote from Crean ...

“This game starts with our lack of awareness defensively,’’ Crean said.

“Communication, weak side, ball side, challenging shots, and block outs. The awareness never got where it needed to be until the end of the game.’’

Crean said he talked to his team before the game and throughout the week about how this was a step his team needed to take.

“They’re shooting the ball well and we’re getting a lot of attention for the winning and things like that,’’ Crean said, “but teams that take the next step totally get that defense is what comes first in every situation. Defense creates the offense, defense creates more opportunities, you name it. And the best teams create confidence from their defense.

“The easiest thing to do is to be sky high when you’re making shots. The hardest thing to do is to understand how committed you have to be to the game of defense and rebounding when you’re not.’’

One of the main arguments against Tubby (I have no clue why ...) is that he values defense too much and no one likes defense, etc.

I think that it is the impression because at times the offense appears stagnat, the transfer of certain players brought the belief that Tubby does not allow players any freedom on the offense end and that a mistake made on defense the player is often sent to the bench.

beavergopher said:
Wow, we won a big ten game! Time for Joel to back up the truck and give him a lifetime contract so when the new AD has to fire him it will cost us even more.
So why would we fire him? Because we can do so much better with no name or coaches out of small programs? He has still recruited better then other coaches here.

Hopefully he's out of most of the Gopherholer's doghouses after this game.

Seriously? After his 2nd win in 16 conference games? With sentiment like this, no wonder Tubby wants to be here and expects to be extended.

So why would we fire him? Because we can do so much better with no name or coaches out of small programs? He has still recruited better then other coaches here.

It doesn't matter how you recruit if you can't retain them. Also, with the net retention rate, he hasn't recruited better than Dutcher or Haskins (I'll leave Mussleman out of the conversation due to recruiting violations)

I don't see any reason why Coleman, austin, andre or big mo can't be go to scorers.. maybe not this year. MO,Dre and Coleman are top 100 recruits. I know they are not super highly regarded but these 3 guys could have played at a lot of other schools especially Mo. Are they super stars, maybe not but they give you a good nucleus to compete in the big ten.

Still not clear on the infatuation for Mo. He seems like a nice player, but people are turning him into Tractor Traylor after a very small sample size

Really? Formidable? Maybe in the eyes of the Minnesota State or St. Cloud. The homerism has run rampant.

Especially when you compare to Willie Burton, Melvin Newburn, Kevin Lynch, Walter Bond, Jim Shikenjanski, Richard Coffey, etc.

or, Bobby Jackson, Eric Harris, John Thomas, Courtney James, Sam Jacobsen, Charles Thomas, Quincy Lewis, etc.

Tubby is (2-0) since all the haters really started calling for his head - Funny how that talk has calmed down now.

View attachment 1394

Never called for his head, but if you are looking for me...I still think he is washed up as a coach. He has made some positive changes over the last two games however. But we beat a semi over ranked team on the road (don't get me wrong, it was a really good win), and the worst team in the big ten. We are 3-17 in our last 20 home games, what do ya want? a cookie?

Never called for his head, but if you are looking for me...I still think he is washed up as a coach. He has made some positive changes over the last two games however. But we beat a semi over ranked team on the road (don't get me wrong, it was a really good win), and the worst team in the big ten. We are 3-17 in our last 20 home games, what do ya want? a cookie?

I have no problem with this opinion. I don't agree with it all, but I have no problem with it.

The issue for me is the posters who only show up when things are bad. Win a few games and you don't hear a thing. Lose a few in a row, and they're everywhere.

Still not clear on the infatuation for Mo. He seems like a nice player, but people are turning him into Tractor Traylor after a very small sample size

From what I've seen of Mo live at the Barn, I'm infatuated. The guy is a beast. Incredible size, great hands, passes extremley well, can shoot with touch, does not go to the floor when he receives the ball in the paint .........and seems to have a bit of nasty him. I hope this guy sticks around. With him and Eliason in the frontcourt and a bunch of young guards, this team could do some damage in +-2yrs if they all stick around. Yes, apparently in MN these days that's a big if.

BTen said:
From what I've seen of Mo live at the Barn, I'm infatuated. The guy is a beast. Incredible size, great hands, passes extremley well, can shoot with touch, does not go to the floor when he receives the ball in the paint .........and seems to have a bit of nasty him. I hope this guy sticks around. With him and Eliason in the frontcourt and a bunch of young guards, this team could do some damage in +-2yrs if they all stick around. Yes, apparently in MN these days that's a big if.

Agreed. I really liked Mo. I think he had a bright future here.

Tubby is (2-0) since all the haters really started calling for his head - Funny how that talk has calmed down now.

View attachment 1394

I never hated Tubby. I like tubby. I just don't like him as our coach. Two wins isn't going to change my mind. I have seen 4+ years of him, two games mean nothing. I also never advocated firing him. I just don't want them to extend him. Why would they do that?

Nobody seemed to mind Clem's defense first mentality.

I am very intrigued about what shape our offense will take when Mo returns. I feel like I remember thinking he is someone you build your offense around but with our guard heavy style now it will be interesting

gopheraschells said:
I am very intrigued about what shape our offense will take when Mo returns. I feel like I remember thinking he is someone you build your offense around but with our guard heavy style now it will be interesting
I'm also wondering how the offense will look on Mo's return. Any news at all on the return of Mo?

Katze, you're dislike for the word "hater" is comically pathetic. It is a common word in the world today, it will be used by people of all walks of life once this generation is fully immersed in the work force. Get used it.

zambam said:
Katze, you're dislike for the word "hater" is comically pathetic. It is a common word in the world today, it will be used by people of all walks of life once this generation is fully immersed in the work force. Get used it.
He just likes to start verbal wars in Gopherhole.

If one hates haters, is that person a hater?

The core is the sophomore group to be:

EE, Huge Mo, Joe, Dre, Oto. Formitable group.

3 future juniors, not as talented, but tried and battle scared.

3 senoirs assuming Williams is smart enough to understand the necessity of guaranteed money. 2 of the 3 are solid, hopefully the 3rd can provide minutes in case of foul trouble.

I like both new recruits and we have three tenders the following year.

2013 recruiting class needs a C and PG to provide quality minutes.

There is no help coming next year. Ellenson and Buggs are simply second rate. Admit it. You WANT to like them, but how can you? Is either one even close to a top 150 recruit? No. That's my biggest problem with Tubby. His 2012 class is at the bottom of the conference.

Top Bottom