Henry Lake-Pitino gone, will coach out remainder of season

What was gophers football record this year? One fluke season with a favorable schedule and we’re ready to knight him. In two years people will be calling for his head too.

strong finish to 2018 season combined with very successful 2019 season. Most gopher fans are going to give a strange 2020 season a pass.

I don't expect PJ to win 11 games every year, I do expect when favored by schedule gods to be able to make run at B1GW and take advantage, which PJ did

strong finish to 2018 season combined with very successful 2019 season. Most gopher fans are going to give a strange 2020 season a pass.

I don't expect PJ to win 11 games every year, I do expect when favored by schedule gods to be able to make run at B1GW and take advantage, which PJ did
I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the Covid season. I’m just saying the jury is still out. SDSUst, Fresno and GSU are some real powerhouses that pushed us to the brink.

He has also shown that he will recruit tirelessly and has high aspirations for this program....Something that two fairly successful coaches in recent history(mason, kill) refused to do.

He's won Big Ten games as well. We don't get slaughtered every single time we need a win. The teams are ready to play. The energy level is off the charts. We get better as the season goes on every year since he's been here.

As opposed to basketball where we all know what is going to happen late January-March every year. Energy and fan support wains every season at the end of the year. Feels hopeless, year in year out.

not to mention very tough GSU team

Better teams play much weaker non-conference opponents every year. Pretty sure I've never seen someone complain about Alabama or Georgia beating up on an FCS squad (which happens every year).

The point is though, to call our 2019 a "fluke" when we beat two Top 10 teams is highly ridiculous.

I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the Covid season. I’m just saying the jury is still out. SDSUst, Fresno and GSU are some real powerhouses that pushed us to the brink.

Good Teams grow throughout the year, which our football team clearly did. Nobody looks at "close victories" at the end of the year

Better teams play much weaker non-conference opponents every year. Pretty sure I've never seen someone complain about Alabama or Georgia beating up on an FCS squad (which happens every year).

The point is though, to call our 2019 a "fluke" when we beat two Top 10 teams is highly ridiculous.
I think the basketball team has beaten two top 10 teams.

Good Teams grow throughout the year, which our football team clearly did. Nobody looks at "close victories" at the end of the year
Agreed. I want PJ to be successful, I’m just not sold. We’re going to give him plenty of rope.

I think the basketball team has beaten two top 10 teams.

Well, they play a lot more games, so have more chances. Gopher football was a position for a division title the last game of the season. That's where we want to be going forward

What was gophers football record this year? One fluke season with a favorable schedule and we’re ready to knight him. In two years people will be calling for his head too.

Fleck should be fired if he doesn’t have a winning conference record in the next 5 seasons is something I think even Fleck would agree with.

There is 8 years of evidence of consistent failure under Pitino....Something he made little effort to fix....PJ is putting in the work to be consistently successful....time will tell.
When he looks back he’ll think of not developing a bench as his major mistake. A couple minutes here and there for guys like Freeman might’ve made the difference.

My dad and I were discussing Pitino last night. He, like the rest of us, are sick of “starting over” with new coaches. He asked what happens if Fleck hasn’t won a conference title by year 8. I said “No one is saying Pitino should have won a conference title but it would be nice to be .500 or better in the conference a few times in 8 seasons” and he was pretty quiet after that.
No one expects repeated national titles. Or even B1G titles. But we are allowed to be in that conversation on a somewhat consistent basis. Maybe finish 1-2 games back of the winner. Not 7 or 8 or more.

I don't buy the "wife doesn't like the weather" argument. At his salary, she can get a condo in Florida for the winter if she doesn't like snow. Eric strikes me as the type you don't want to be around that much during the season anyway.
I don't know whether there is anything to the "weather argument" or not, but the idea that the solution is that his wife and school age daughter just live in Florida instead of Minnesota during the basketball season is ridiculous. If he decides to come to Minnesota it will be with the family in tow, including his son who works with him at Arkansas.

I don't know whether there is anything to the "weather argument" or not, but the idea that the solution is that his wife and school age daughter just live in Florida instead of Minnesota during the basketball season is ridiculous. If he decides to come to Minnesota it will be with the family in tow, including his son who works with him at Arkansas.
I get that. It's a bit tongue in cheek, I just think the weather angle is over-blown especially in MN (as opposed to balmy Iowa City and Madison.)

When he looks back he’ll think of not developing a bench as his major mistake. A couple minutes here and there for guys like Freeman might’ve made the difference.
Not developing a respectable bench and creating an identity for the program from recruiting led to his inconsistent B10 play.

My step daughter has been debating between the U and Stanford for the 2022 year. She hasn’t brought up the weather once. She’s worked really hard and is NHS so she’ll be successful no matter where she goes. She’s bleed maroon and gold since she was 5. I know where she’s going.
She’s also not 6-8 with a jump shot.

Last edited:

The fact that this is even a thread right now is asinine. Pitino hasn't been fired yet. There's not one report on any local news site that he's being let go, just a tweet from H-Lake and we don't know who his "source" is. If WCCO wanted to go further with it and post the info they have, they could have. But they've chosen not to.

That said, is the writing on the wall? Absolutely. His tone postgame after Nebraska suggested he knows it's over. He's holding a media session and doing his radio show tomorrow, so I'm sure that will be about as much fun as a colonoscopy. But let's wait until he's actually gone to talk about replacements.
You don't expect fans on an internet message board to speculate until there's official news? Seriously?

I get that. It's a bit tongue in cheek, I just think the weather angle is over-blown especially in MN (as opposed to balmy Iowa City and Madison.)

His wife is from Georgia, went to college in Florida and, as far as I know, has never lived anywhere with a winter like Minnesota. You are correct that our winter isn't that much different than Iowa or Wisconsin and I would expect that, if she doesn't like winter, she would have the same concerns about moving there.

My step daughter has been debating between the U and Stanford for the 2022 year. She hasn’t brought up the weather once. She’s worked really hard and is NHS so she’ll be successful no matter where she goes. She’s bleed maroon and gold since she was 5. I know where she’s going.
She also not 6-8 with a jump shot.
Good for her, but what does that have to do with anything?

I was poking fun at talon

I might question that statement in regards to the three narrow OC wins and losing to both Iowa AND Wisky. Then beating an indifferent Auburn team in the bowl game. Follow that with a lousy 2020 season. That's why I need to see what PJ does in 2021 to know if the norm will be more like 2019 or 2020?

Morgan looked scared last season. Fleck never gave any hint that TM's job was in jeopardy. Was that an indication he didn't have better options or that Morgan had some undisclosed problem? I love Gopher football, but I'm still not convinced Fleck can win consistently here.

I might question that statement in regards to the three narrow OC wins and losing to both Iowa AND Wisky. Then beating an indifferent Auburn team in the bowl game. Follow that with a lousy 2020 season. That's why I need to see what PJ does in 2021 to know if the norm will be more like 2019 or 2020?

Morgan looked scared last season. Fleck never gave any hint that TM's job was in jeopardy. Was that an indication he didn't have better options or that Morgan had some undisclosed problem? I love Gopher football, but I'm still not convinced Fleck can win consistently here.

You're the only person who thinks Auburn was "indifferent". They started a number of first-round picks in that game. Even the announcers were repeating over and over how Auburn wanted to win badly. The Goohers broke out an awesome play action pass to TJ to take the lead. And then we physically ground them down in the 4th to seal the win. There was literally no evidence to support Auburn was indifferent - except for it fitting your narrative.

We were 1 win away from the Rose Bowl, easy schedule or not(which it wasn't) and beat Auburn. SDSU was a solid team in 2018 and I believe only lost 2 games. GSU was even better.

Last season was not good for anyone not named Alabama or Ohio State.

Top Bottom