Hawaii just sent Minnesota to a bowl game in crazy fashion

Does Fleck's contract provide a bonus for playing in a bowl game....any bowl game?
Most contracts do, I'm sure the big schools are less "any" and more specific, but most coach's have sorta ladder of bonuses about the type of bowl game and so on. That has been common for decades at least.

It’s going to be Minnesota in Detroit against either Northern Illinois or Eastern Michigan.
Unless Bama beats Georgia

Then the big ten misses the orange and it’s Vegas, phoenix, or New York

Bama and Georgia are both already a lock for a NY6 bowl.
Agree

The orange bowl is the highest rated non playoff ACC or ACC champ (Louisville or Florida state) Vs highest rated SEC, big ten, or Notre Dame.
It is Ohio state right now.
If Georgia loses to Alabama, it will be one of those two instead of Ohio state.

If Ohio state is in the orange bowl the big ten loses the Reliaquest tie in.
If the big ten is not in the orange bowl the big ten keeps the Reliaquest tie in

The part you’re omitting that could be confusing to some people is that (you’re assuming, but should very likely be true) the Big Ten gets Mich, OSU, and PSU in the NY6 regardless if OSU makes it to the Orange.

So if they don’t, the non-NY6 Big Ten teams “gain” a bowl at the top, which pulls everyone up one slot.

The part you’re omitting that could be confusing to some people is that (you’re assuming, but should very likely be true) the Big Ten gets Mich, OSU, and PSU in the NY6 regardless if OSU makes it to the Orange.

So if they don’t, the non-NY6 Big Ten teams “gain” a bowl at the top, which pulls everyone up one slot.
Those 3 are making it.
If one makes the orange it has an impact
If iowa beats Michigan it is possible the big ten gets 4 teams in the Ny6 (Iowa would be automatic)

The committee may put Ole Miss ahead of Penn State to avoid that…and then Iowa would be bumping penn state out. Last week penn state was rated ahead of ole miss and I fail to see what happened that would have ole miss bump penn state this week.

Other than that the SEC are crooks who would rig their title game knowing Georgia would still make the playoff with a rigged loss to Bama.

Literally happened before.

That doesn’t push Penn State out of the top 11 (one NY6 will go to a G5), but just saying ….

And if Iowa did win and did not then get ranked in the top 10, that pushes the NY6 up to just the top 10 (with Iowa and G5 getting outside spots).

Other than that the SEC are crooks who would rig their title game knowing Georgia would still make the playoff with a rigged loss to Bama.

Literally happened before.

That doesn’t push Penn State out of the top 11 (one NY6 will go to a G5), but just saying ….
The top ACC team goes to the orange bowl even if not top 12

Even with a loss, Louisville is in the Orange bowl. (Unless Florida state falls out of top 4 win a win).
Louisville beating Florida state would put Louisville in the orange. But Florida state likely stays in the top 10. A lot of moving parts

And if Iowa did win and did not then get ranked in the top 10, that pushes the NY6 up to just the top 10 (with Iowa and G5 getting outside spots).
That’s literally what I just said. It would push the lower ranked of Penn state and ole miss out.

If Louisville AND Iowa win. Both Penn state and ole miss will both miss (unless Florida state drops below them)

You’re right I forgot Orange is contract so that is another component to NY6 calculus

So what happens if only 2 NY6 but OSU does make the Orange?

So what happens if only 2 NY6 but OSU does make the Orange?
That would really surprise me but in that case, the big ten would lose Reliaquest.

Which put penn state in cheeze it citrus
Iowa in dukes mayo
Big ten 5 in music city
Big ten 6 in pinstripe
Big ten 7 in guaranteed rate
Big ten 8 in Detroit

Big ten 9 is Minnesota, with no affiliated bowl. The gophers would go to a bowl game with no affiliation to fill it. Haven’t looked into what that looks like.

I think the gophers moving out of Detroit to unaffiliated is less likely than the big ten not having enough teams to fill out Detroit. But both are in play.
People projecting Minnesota to bowls like the New Mexico bowl are assuming something like that happens

Last edited:

The ncaa doesn’t have to announce navy isn’t eligible. Navy isn’t eligible
They still could become eligible though. If the NCAA doesn’t announce anything, then there’s no way Navy is ineligible before December 9th so how could Minnesota be selected for a bowl that relies on Navy being ineligible before December 9th? Remember, a 6-6 team always takes precedence over a 5-7 team so the B1G potentially not filling every bowl doesn’t matter.

Just because people have this notion that the regular season ends now, doesn’t mean the NCAA agrees. As far as I can tell, Army-Navy is a regular season game like every other one.

They still could become eligible though.
Not before the bowl participants are selected
If the NCAA doesn’t announce anything, then there’s no way Navy is ineligible before December 9th so how could Minnesota be selected for a bowl that relies on Navy being ineligible before December 9th?
Navy is currently ineligible. They are currently 4-6 Vs FBS opponents. They can count one game against an FCS towards bowl eligibility. Which moves them to 5-6. They have more losses than wins. Their APR is tied for 65th.
Remember, a 6-6 team always takes precedence over a 5-7 team so the B1G potentially not filling every bowl doesn’t matter.
It does matter once eligible teams are determined I believe. I could be wrong about that.
Just because people have this notion that the regular season ends now, doesn’t mean the NCAA agrees. As far as I can tell, Army-Navy is a regular season game like every other one.
It isn’t. You are wrong.

Not before the bowl participants are selected

Navy is currently ineligible. They are currently 4-6 Vs FBS opponents. They can count one game against an FCS towards bowl eligibility. Which moves them to 5-6. They have more losses than wins. Their APR is tied for 65th.

It does matter once eligible teams are determined I believe. I could be wrong about that.

It isn’t. You are wrong.
Minnesota is currently ineligible too by that logic, they’re 5-7. They only become eligible after there aren’t enough 6-6 teams. We still don’t know if there will be enough 6-6 teams.

There’s not some official bowl selection date. Prior to having 40+ bowls, bowl invites would go out slowly over time. More recently, back when the Bahamas bowl was played in the Bahamas, they’d select participants before conference championship games. Hell, the CFP will delay their selections if Navy or Army might end up in a NY6 bowl.

Show me a source that says the regular season ends before Army-Navy play. Because the NCAA manual says the last day is the second Saturday (or Sunday) in December.

If Gophers are eligible on Dec 3, and assuming everything else plays out as expected, then Detroit will select them.

They don’t want Navy and they don’t want Jacksonville State. They want a Big Ten vs MAC matchup. (It is exactly the same thing as the previous version now, before they tried to make it Big Ten vs ACC for a time).

Short of the CFP/NY6 calculus scenarios coming true, I don’t see anything where that wouldn’t hold true.

That said, I could absolutely see the Hawaii bowl making a contingent selection for Navy over JSU or just plain saying they want to wait. I don’t think the NCAA can force them to select on Dec 3.

But that won’t affect us, one iota. As I said, Detroit doesn’t want Navy or JSU, so they’ll just pick Gophers directly on Dec 3.

Unless the NCAA decides to make our eligibility contingent on the Navy outcome, but that seems much more far fetched.

Minnesota is currently ineligible too by that logic, they’re 5-7. They only become eligible after there aren’t enough 6-6 teams. We still don’t know if there will be enough 6-6 teams.

There’s not some official bowl selection date. Prior to having 40+ bowls, bowl invites would go out slowly over time. More recently, back when the Bahamas bowl was played in the Bahamas, they’d select participants before conference championship games. Hell, the CFP will delay their selections if Navy or Army might end up in a NY6 bowl.

Show me a source that says the regular season ends before Army-Navy play. Because the NCAA manual says the last day is the second Saturday (or Sunday) in December.
I literally posted in two threads on this board a quote from the Navy athletics official website that said they'd have to beat SMU to get to a bowl because the selections are made before the Army-Navy game.

The wording of that bullet point does not preclude the Hawaii bowl choosing to wait for Navy over JSU.

But such a choice won’t prevent Detroit from choosing the Gophers, so long as the NCAA doesn’t decide to make the U’s eligibility contingent on Navy losing (have not seen anything or any precedent like that, where it directly prevents another school).

The wording of that bullet point does not preclude the Hawaii bowl choosing to wait for Navy over JSU.

But such a choice won’t prevent Detroit from choosing the Gophers, so long as the NCAA doesn’t decide to make the U’s eligibility contingent on Navy losing (have not seen anything or any precedent like that, where it directly prevents another school).
The only contingency issue that I could find was in 2016 when Navy could have gone to a NY6 bowl by winning the AAC and then jumping over the MAC champion in the rankings by beating Army. I don't think it actually happened.

In fact, here's the rule.

In June 2015, the College Football Playoff changed its rules so that the final rankings would be delayed until after the Navy-Army game if it affected the playoff field or the Group of 5 bid.

Nothing about just making a bowl.

If Gophers are eligible on Dec 3, and assuming everything else plays out as expected, then Detroit will select them.

They don’t want Navy and they don’t want Jacksonville State. They want a Big Ten vs MAC matchup. (It is exactly the same thing as the previous version now, before they tried to make it Big Ten vs ACC for a time).

Short of the CFP/NY6 calculus scenarios coming true, I don’t see anything where that wouldn’t hold true.

That said, I could absolutely see the Hawaii bowl making a contingent selection for Navy over JSU or just plain saying they want to wait. I don’t think the NCAA can force them to select on Dec 3.

But that won’t affect us, one iota. As I said, Detroit doesn’t want Navy or JSU, so they’ll just pick Gophers directly on Dec 3.

Unless the NCAA decides to make our eligibility contingent on the Navy outcome, but that seems much more far fetched.
Detroit can’t choose us over Navy (if they’re 6-6) or JSU. The bowl eligibility rules are clear that you have to select everyone eligible in one category before moving on to the next.

At best, Detroit says “screw the NCAA” and decides they can select a 5-7 before they know who is truly eligible (this happened with FSU a couple years ago where basically they scheduled the game and then when it turned out they weren’t actually eligible it was “oops, too late to change”). Not sure how fondly the NCAA will take to that though.

The NCAA rules that result in MN going bowling already are contingent on Navy losing. If Navy wins, they’re eligible and no 5-7 team can be selected according to their rules. Hence, an exception (or flat out ignoring the rule) would be needed.

The NCAA rules that result in MN going bowling already are contingent on Navy losing. If Navy wins, they’re eligible and no 5-7 team can be selected according to their rules. Hence, an exception (or flat out ignoring the rule) would be needed.
No they aren't. You're living up to your name.
Army or Navy has to be eligible by the day the bowls select teams unless it affects automatic qualifiers to NY6 games, or the playoffs. This does neither.

Detroit can’t choose us over Navy (if they’re 6-6) or JSU. The bowl eligibility rules are clear that you have to select everyone eligible in one category before moving on to the next.

At best, Detroit says “screw the NCAA” and decides they can select a 5-7 before they know who is truly eligible (this happened with FSU a couple years ago where basically they scheduled the game and then when it turned out they weren’t actually eligible it was “oops, too late to change”). Not sure how fondly the NCAA will take to that though.

Also let's just imagine I'm the Quick Lane bowl.

I have a deal with the B1G and the MAC .... it's a nice deal for everyone.

Do I have a deal with the B1G after I shaft one if their teams?

Minnesota vs New Mexico State in the New Mexico Bowl. Jerry throttle Flexk and then runs his nose in dog poop afterwards. Everyone wants Jerry back. We fire Flexk and Jerry tells us to eat Sh*t too

No they aren't. You're living up to your name.
Army or Navy has to be eligible by the day the bowls select teams unless it affects automatic qualifiers to NY6 games, or the playoffs. This does neither.
Please provide an NCAA source backing this claim up. The NCAA manual does not agree with this claim you're making. If you can't, I'll just assume you're full of shit.

Hell there isn't even a defined "day the bowls select teams". It only occurs after CFP selection because lower bowl decisions are reliant on that. If a bowl really wanted to, they could've invited a team in the middle of November. The Bahamas bowl in the past has invited teams a week early as well.

Once again. This is literally from the Navy Athletics site. The team in question. You'd think they would understand how the system works.

Navy needs to beat SMU on Saturday to become bowl eligible. The Army-Navy game is after bowl selections are announced.

Top Bottom