Hawaii just sent Minnesota to a bowl game in crazy fashion

Think Fleck would find a way to lose that game.

Especially if some guys decide not to participate in the game to get ready for NFL.

If invited, they did earn it due to APR, in the classroom. That's something. It isn't 1972 anymore. The landscape has changed. If there was a bowl game that pitted the top two academic performers, even if the records were 2-10 vs 3-9, then they earned it based on the criteria. If the Gophers earned it due to criteria set forth, so be it. I would rather see them earn it this way than see them go 7-5 with a bunch of thugs with a low APR that are making no progress towards a degree, but that's just me I guess.

I know I'm kind of involved in this site, and have never had an issue embedding tweets - but what am I doing wrong? 1st link was copy and paste from Twitter (like I always do), next one was embedding it, but it obviously has too much text. I'm sorry for this messy post...but it's kind of reflective of the messy journey to go bowling ;).
Replace the x in the link with the word "twitter", so "x.com" becomes "twitter.com". Here's your link with the correction.

I hope the fellas don’t have to go to Detroit send them someplace warm.

If they get invited, they were "good enough." As others have said, don't watch it if it offends you.
Not offended at all.

No matter what you and the rest of the “true fans” tell themselves the 2023 version of the Gopher football team on the field weren’t good enough.

I would agree that this Gophers team isn’t a bowl-quality team. I don’t think anyone who actually watched the team play could argue that. But I don’t blame them for accepting the invite if it comes their way. It would be silly to pass up the opportunity, publicity, money, and all the things that go along with it.

In my mind the flaw is with the ridiculous number of bowl games. 63% of teams go to bowl games, only 50 teams stay home. It’s gotten out of control.

Nope, that’s Army with two FCS wins. Not Navy.

How hard is it for a bowl to make a contingent choice? Not rocket science
It apparently happened once in like 2009. A bowl selected 6-6 UCLA contingent upon 5-6 Navy losing the following week. They did, and UCLA went to the game. Still, I think most low level bowl games want to avoid this since they need to start advertising the game and allowing fans to make travel arrangements since these games are played early. That said, it’s all very unclear to me. Hopefully the NCAA or athletic dept makes a clear statement soon.

Not offended at all.

No matter what you and the rest of the “true fans” tell themselves the 2023 version of the Gopher football team on the field weren’t good enough.
If we're picking the 82 best teams the Gophers were certainly one of them. Not a high bar, but the Gophers are better than a lot of the 6-6 and 7-5 type teams from the G5. For example, EMU and Louisiana Ragin Cajuns are going to bowls and are clearly weaker than the Gophers.

I'm not saying this was a good year or a good Gopher team, but applying the same 6-6 standard to all schools in FBS does not yield the absolute best teams going to bowls.

247 projects the Gophers against New Mexico State's Fighting Kills in the New Mexico Bowl.

Yeah.....that wouldn't surprise me.

Losing to Kill in the bowl game would be the perfect ending to a completely deflating season. I am predicting it now...

NMSU 24
Gophers 20

Will be putting $1500 on NMSU

That is WILD, lol! Kudos to that FG team for getting set — and especially the kicker who didn’t even have time to think. But how in the world did NOBODY on that coaching staff realize they were in bounds and have the awareness to tell the QB to spike it?! Malpractice, lol.
De-Icing the kicker ;)

They absolutely will do everything in their power to have it be Gophers vs NMSU, whichever bowl it is. No idea if it will/can happen.

Fleck really easily could lose that game.

You nailed it @Texan Gopher icing on the cake

I think I'd be kind of upset if I was Kill and New Mexico State playing a 5-7 team in a bowl, especially if they upset Liberty for the CUSA title. You'd think that would warrant something better. Obviously not a NYD type bowl, but something a bit better, maybe against another G5 champion or division champion. Maybe against Miami (OH) or Toledo.

I would rather see them earn it this way than see them go 7-5 with a bunch of thugs with a low APR that are making no progress towards a degree, but that's just me I guess.
Yeah that's just you. I'm a win at all costs and don't get caught believer.

I think I'd be kind of upset if I was Kill and New Mexico State playing a 5-7 team in a bowl, especially if they upset Liberty for the CUSA title. You'd think that would warrant something better. Obviously not a NYD type bowl, but something a bit better, maybe against another G5 champion or division champion. Maybe against Miami (OH) or Toledo.
I agree. NMSU deserves something better.

Wonder If Jerry us going to be moving to a new opening?

I think NMSU is a perfect spot for him

The big ten doesn’t have enough teams to meet its contractually obligated bowls.

I am going to guess that 5-7 Minnesota is in Detroit if the big ten gets an orange bowl bid and thus loses the Reliaquest bowl

I am going to guess Minnesota is in Phoenix or Vegas (or New York but probably not) if the big ten does not get an orange bowl bid.

The big ten will likely get the orange bowl bid if Georgia beats Bama.
One of Georgia or Bama will get the orange bowl bid if Bama beats Georgia.

Not offended at all.

The bowl game itself is meaningless as it's not like a lower-tier bowl like the one we will attend will impress any recruits. However, you absolutely need to accept a bowl no matter where it's at just to get the additional 15 practices you are allotted to prepare for the game. Based on where this team is now, these additional practices are critical for player development heading into next year. If you miss out on a bowl it's the loss of those 15 practices that would be detrimental to the program.

Just to state the rules officially, the NCAA rules allow bowl teams to practice or hold other athletic activities up to four hours per day or 20 hours per week between the end of the regular season and a bowl game. You just hear most coaches say 15 practices.

Last edited:

The big ten doesn’t have enough teams to meet its contractually obligated bowls.

I am going to guess that 5-7 Minnesota is in Detroit if the big ten gets an orange bowl bid and thus loses the Reliaquest bowl

I am going to guess Minnesota is in Phoenix or Vegas (or New York but probably not) if the big ten does not get an orange bowl bid.

The big ten will likely get the orange bowl bid if Georgia beats Bama.
One of Georgia or Bama will get the orange bowl bid if Bama beats Georgia.
Yup. This. The B1G wants to fill its games, so despite how unclear the Navy situation is, I think that’s why everyone assumes MN will be bowling. There could obviously be some NCAA bylaw to prevent that, but I’ve not seen one thus far. Perhaps if Nebraska and/or Illinois had won we’d have a “contingent” situation between MN and Navy for an at-large bowl, but that’s not really the case.

just to get the additional 15 practices you are allotted to prepare for the game.
I’m not arguing the point and I’m not saying you’re wrong. Everyone talks about the value of the extra 15 practices. But it really makes me wonder…. Presumably the team has been practicing all year. If they haven’t figure it out by now (and evidence on the field indicates they haven’t), does 15 more practices really carry that much value? And conversely, if teams like Michigan, OSU, Georgia, weren’t allowed 15 more practices, would they even notice a blip in their game?

Not arguing the point. Just wondering out loud.

Top Bottom