Hawaii just sent Minnesota to a bowl game in crazy fashion

If Navy were 6-5 now then it wouldn’t matter in the slightest that the Big Ten hadn’t filled its games.

So, if the NCAA decides it wants Navy to be eligible if they beat Army, then they would be required to be selected before any 5-7 team.

What the Big Ten wants isn’t relevant.

It doesn't matter if Navy wins next week. They played 2 FCS teams, so 1 of their wins doesn't count. As far as bowl eligibility is concerned, they're at 4 wins.

Nope, that’s Army with two FCS wins. Not Navy.

How hard is it for a bowl to make a contingent choice? Not rocket science
Not "hard" but tremendously inconvenient. For example the New Mexico Bowl is on Dec 16. Waiting until the Army-Navy on December 9 would cut in half the lead up time to sell tickets and make travel plans.

That's the whole point of the Bowl Eligibility deadline to begin with.

Meanwhile the Gophers would be practicing for 2 weeks for a non-game.

Last edited:

It doesn't matter if Navy wins next week. They played 2 FCS teams, so 1 of their wins doesn't count. As far as bowl eligibility is concerned, they're at 4 wins.
Is that true? Which are the two? I think I only see one on their schedule.

I’m not arguing the point and I’m not saying you’re wrong. Everyone talks about the value of the extra 15 practices. But it really makes me wonder…. Presumably the team has been practicing all year. If they haven’t figure it out by now (and evidence on the field indicates they haven’t), does 15 more practices really carry that much value? And conversely, if teams like Michigan, OSU, Georgia, weren’t allowed 15 more practices, would they even notice a blip in their game?

Not arguing the point. Just wondering out loud.

Sure. Especially with younger players. Not to mention that we might see some players either opt out or announce plans to transfer. Now you are filtering in other players on first team and providing experience for next year.

Army played two FCS teams. Navy only played one. That's why since both are 5-6 right now.....Navy is the only one being discussed as potentially being bowl eligible.

If they get invited and get those 15 additional bowl practices then that’s great news for the program. If they don’t and Navy gets the spot instead, then it’s pretty difficult to think of a more deserving group to take that spot. Win/win as far as I’m concerned.

@Ope3 Hawaii bowl is Dec 23, still not great, but massive sailor presence in the islands obviously and they’ve (somehow) never hosted Navy. Tie-in with the AAC (conf Navy is in). They have every right to want to wait for Navy. But their wants don’t matter, it’s whatever the NCAA decides (or simply lets as-is rules stand with no further decision).

The problem is MN would have to go to a big ten bowl, probably Detroit if they are in. If you want to send navy to Hawaii if they win, you would have to have another team involved that wouldn't know if they should pack for Hawaii or Detroit because Detroit would have an opening if you pulled MN.

Unless they let the gopher go to Hawaii on a contingency. They might prefer the option of Hawaii or nothing.

Army played two FCS teams. Navy only played one. That's why since both are 5-6 right now.....Navy is the only one being discussed as potentially being bowl eligible.
Oh sorry. I’m a dummy.

@jeff111 yes that is the issue.

The thing to do is for the NCAA to issue a ruling/special exemption so that the winner of Army/Navy can be selected no matter who wins, or neither of them can be selected on Dec 3.

@Ope3 Hawaii bowl is Dec 23, still not great, but massive sailor presence in the islands obviously and they’ve (somehow) never hosted Navy. Tie-in with the AAC (conf Navy is in). They have every right to want to wait for Navy. But their wants don’t matter, it’s whatever the NCAA decides (or simply lets as-is rules stand with no further decision).
If it were up to me, I would send the Army-Navy winner to the Hawaii Bowl every year, no matter what. I wouldn't care if it was their only victory of the season.

I am a patriot.

There’s also a Military Bowl right at one of Army or Navy’s stadium.

I’m not arguing the point and I’m not saying you’re wrong. Everyone talks about the value of the extra 15 practices. But it really makes me wonder…. Presumably the team has been practicing all year. If they haven’t figure it out by now (and evidence on the field indicates they haven’t), does 15 more practices really carry that much value? And conversely, if teams like Michigan, OSU, Georgia, weren’t allowed 15 more practices, would they even notice a blip in their game?

Not arguing the point. Just wondering out loud.
Different guys are going to get the meat of the practice. Those with no eligibility left, most won't play. Some with another year may opt out. Those who are going into the portal will have done so and they are out.

It's a vastly different team in bowl practice and playing in the bowl.

there's like 50 bowls, we're still the top 100, so a bowl will happen, maybe not a warm weather bowl, or (horror) The Idaho Spud Bowl to play Boise State

Sure. By the Big Ten. Why? Do you think differently?
Don't think Big Ten has tie ins that low, nine I think (counting CFP) and not with that bowl.

Last edited:

Hey everyone going to the bowl(??) don’t instead give that $1500 to Dinktytown. Sports for NiL money.

The problem is MN would have to go to a big ten bowl, probably Detroit if they are in. If you want to send navy to Hawaii if they win, you would have to have another team involved that wouldn't know if they should pack for Hawaii or Detroit because Detroit would have an opening if you pulled MN.

Unless they let the gopher go to Hawaii on a contingency. They might prefer the option of Hawaii or nothing.
There's 3 scenarios that can occur.
1. AAC holds a bowl (say Hawaii) for Navy contingent on them winning and its announced that Minnesota will play in that bowl if Navy is ineligible.
2. AAC and B1G both hold bowls (almost certainly Detroit for B1G) contingent on Navy/MN being eligible (obviously only one could be eligible). Some other team, likely Jacksonville State, will be contingent for both games. This obviously isn't a clean scenario but it makes sense why it would occur if you consider that both the AAC and B1G will want to maximize their own revenue and meet the contracts they have with bowls.
3. The NCAA decides to announce that Navy is ineligible. While everyone seems to assume this scenario will happen, I really don't think it will. There's the example with Army in 2009 that shows this won't happen so unless a rule has changed, I don't see it happening.

There's 3 scenarios that can occur.
1. AAC holds a bowl (say Hawaii) for Navy contingent on them winning and its announced that Minnesota will play in that bowl if Navy is ineligible.
2. AAC and B1G both hold bowls (almost certainly Detroit for B1G) contingent on Navy/MN being eligible (obviously only one could be eligible). Some other team, likely Jacksonville State, will be contingent for both games. This obviously isn't a clean scenario but it makes sense why it would occur if you consider that both the AAC and B1G will want to maximize their own revenue and meet the contracts they have with bowls.
3. The NCAA decides to announce that Navy is ineligible. While everyone seems to assume this scenario will happen, I really don't think it will. There's the example with Army in 2009 that shows this won't happen so unless a rule has changed, I don't see it happening.
The ncaa doesn’t have to announce navy isn’t eligible. Navy isn’t eligible

It’s going to be Minnesota in Detroit against either Northern Illinois or Eastern Michigan.

Does Fleck's contract provide a bonus for playing in a bowl game....any bowl game?

@dumbgoph correct and well said. The NCAA post season manual says nothing about requiring the criteria by a certain date nor does it forbid any bowl from making a contingent selection.

Your scenario 2 makes perfect sense and JSU can’t complain in the slightest. They shouldn’t even be allowed to be considered bowl eligible because they didn’t actually play an FBS schedule until this year, but somehow were allowed to count an FCS schedule last year as their first year of reclassification.

Top Bottom