Hawaii just sent Minnesota to a bowl game in crazy fashion

Once again. This is literally from the Navy Athletics site. The team in question. You'd think they would understand how the system works.

Navy needs to beat SMU on Saturday to become bowl eligible. The Army-Navy game is after bowl selections are announced.

I know they're both 4 letters, but NCAA and Navy are 2 distinct words.

As I mentioned earlier, FSU went to a bowl ~5 years ago when they actually weren't eligible. There's no evidence that the teams themselves know all the bowl rules. Minnesota can't be eligible before Army-Navy unless the NCAA changes their rules or their rules are ignored.

As I mentioned earlier, FSU went to a bowl ~5 years ago when they actually weren't eligible. There's no evidence that the teams themselves know all the bowl rules. Minnesota can't be eligible before Army-Navy unless the NCAA changes their rules or their rules are ignored.
You really think Navy isn't getting the correct information from the NCAA (of which they are a member institution)!?!?

Just a totally bizarre line of thinking.

You really think Navy isn't getting the correct information from the NCAA (of which they are a member institution)!?!?

Just a totally bizarre line of thinking.
FSU literally went to a bowl game when they weren't eligible because no one checked their information until a random person on Reddit did a week before the game. The NCAA isn't some all-knowing body so their member institutions definitely aren't.

Again, if Navy is getting the correct information from the NCAA, where is this correct information? "This rule exists but I can't show you where" isn't a good argument. You would think someone would have an actual ruling from the NCAA that shows their rules are either outdated or have an exception written somewhere.

FSU literally went to a bowl game when they weren't eligible because no one checked their information until a random person on Reddit did a week before the game. The NCAA isn't some all-knowing body so their member institutions definitely aren't.

Again, if Navy is getting the correct information from the NCAA, where is this correct information? "This rule exists but I can't show you where" isn't a good argument. You would think someone would have an actual ruling from the NCAA that shows their rules are either outdated or have an exception written somewhere.
Everything I see regarding FSU in 2017 was that the Reddit report was debunked.

Bowl selection is made on the 3rd. There are not enough teams to fill the slots. The Gophers are next in line. No matter how much you whine and pout about it.....that's unlikely to change.

In 2019 the EagleBank Bowl set up a contingency plan in which 6–6 Army got the spot first but 6–6 UCLA took it if Army didn’t reach 6–6. Army lost to Navy, so UCLA played in the bowl.

However, last year, Army was 5-6 on selection Sunday. They beat Navy the following week to go 6-6. They did not go to a bowl. 5-7 Rice did based on APR, just like the Gophers will this year.

In 2019 the EagleBank Bowl set up a contingency plan in which 6–6 Army got the spot first but 6–6 UCLA took it if Army didn’t reach 6–6. Army lost to Navy, so UCLA played in the bowl.

However, last year, Army was 5-6 on selection Sunday. They beat Navy the following week to go 6-6. They did not go to a bowl. 5-7 Rice did based on APR, just like the Gophers will this year.
I believe Army last year had 2 FCS wins (like they also do this year), which prevents them from being eligible even with a win against Navy.

Good point about 2009, presumably someone in the NCAA with official capacity would either say the 2009 precedent still remains or there’s been a change.

Bowl selection is made on the 3rd. There are not enough teams to fill the slots. The Gophers are next in line. No matter how much you whine and pout about it.....that's unlikely to change.
As I mentioned earlier, bowl selection is not an official day. Most selections occurs on the 3rd because the vast majority of bowls are reliant on the CFP rankings in some way which come out on the 3rd. Selection for the Bahamas bowl has occurred earlier in the past and the 2009 bowl above occurred later.

If you read the rule that says they’re next in line, it says all deserving teams must go to a bowl before any other team can go. It also defines deserving teams to be those with a .500 record or better in the regular season (With some exceptions for FCS/conference championship games). Which of those rules do you think doesn’t apply this year?

To honor Bernie Bierman, the Gophers will run the single-wing offense in the Bowl Game with no QB. Kirk Ferentz will be jealous.

To honor Bernie Bierman, the Gophers will run the single-wing offense in the Bowl Game with no QB. Kirk Ferentz will be jealous.
We don't have enough running backs to pull that off.

Which of those rules do you think doesn’t apply this year?
Why is literally every media outlet reporting that the Gophers are going to a bowl game, and no media outlets are talking about contingency plans for Navy?

Honestly, the best thing to do would be to grant Army the waiver for the two FCS wins, and give the winner of Army-Navy the last bowl spot.

I believe Army last year had 2 FCS wins (like they also do this year), which prevents them from being eligible even with a win against Navy.

Good point about 2009, presumably someone in the NCAA with official capacity would either say the 2009 precedent still remains or there’s been a change.

As I mentioned earlier, bowl selection is not an official day. Most selections occurs on the 3rd because the vast majority of bowls are reliant on the CFP rankings in some way which come out on the 3rd. Selection for the Bahamas bowl has occurred earlier in the past and the 2009 bowl above occurred later.

If you read the rule that says they’re next in line, it says all deserving teams must go to a bowl before any other team can go. It also defines deserving teams to be those with a .500 record or better in the regular season (With some exceptions for FCS/conference championship games). Which of those rules do you think doesn’t apply this year?

Why are you so insistent on being wrong? The fact is.....Army/Navy chose to move their game to the second weekend in December.....after conference championship week......and after bowl selection typically occurs. This happened in 2009. Nobody asked them to do that. Even Navy's coach isn't fighting it.

Navy is 5-6 and would get a sixth win if it beats Army on Dec. 9. However, bowl rules stipulate that both Navy and Army must have six wins by the time the bowl field is announced on Dec. 3 to make the postseason.

Why are you so insistent on being wrong? The fact is.....Army/Navy chose to move their game to the second weekend in December.....after conference championship week......and after bowl selection typically occurs. This happened in 2009. Nobody asked them to do that. Even Navy's coach isn't fighting it.

Navy is 5-6 and would get a sixth win if it beats Army on Dec. 9. However, bowl rules stipulate that both Navy and Army must have six wins by the time the bowl field is announced on Dec. 3 to make the postseason.

Army or Navy hasn't been able to win the Army/Navy game and be eligible since 2009. I think using the last example of this occurring is a pretty good method. If you want to show me the rule that has changed since 2009, I'd appreciate it.

I'd also appreciate you showing me this bowl rule everyone is claiming exists yet no one can show. Because I can show you the bowl rules that contradict this claim in the NCAA postseason manual. Quoting an unsourced article as your source is not a good source. In fact, that's almost certainly why so many people claim the same thing. Because all of their sources go back to an unsourced claim and no one questions it. Yahoo is not the NCAA.

There's also nothing in the rules that states that a bowl has to wait until a certain date or offer a contingency. I suspect a bowl could CHOOSE to do this, as it appears the EagleBank (now Military Bowl) did, but they don't have to. If the bowls have all said, we are picking on Sunday, then as of Sunday, Navy is not eligible. By rule, Minnesota is.

Army or Navy hasn't been able to win the Army/Navy game and be eligible since 2009. I think using the last example of this occurring is a pretty good method. If you want to show me the rule that has changed since 2009, I'd appreciate it.

I'd also appreciate you showing me this bowl rule everyone is claiming exists yet no one can show. Because I can show you the bowl rules that contradict this claim in the NCAA postseason manual. Quoting an unsourced article as your source is not a good source. In fact, that's almost certainly why so many people claim the same thing. Because all of their sources go back to an unsourced claim and no one questions it. Yahoo is not the NCAA.

What "rule"? These appear to be guidelines set by the NCAA. Doesn't appear to be any "rule" that bowls need to wait an extra week to make selections because the Army/Navy game is a week later. Basically everyone but you seems to think that Navy is out of luck unless an exception is made. That includes Navy's own coach.

Easy solution is to play their game a week earlier. Until then....tough break.

What "rule"? These appear to be guidelines set by the NCAA. Doesn't appear to be any "rule" that bowls need to wait an extra week to make selections because the Army/Navy game is a week later. Basically everyone but you seems to think that Navy is out of luck unless an exception is made. That includes Navy's own coach.

Easy solution is to play their game a week earlier. Until then....tough break.
Correct. An exception would need to be made. As of today, MN and Navy are both 5 win teams. MN has a higher APR.

What's going to be really interesting is starting next season, Army will join the AAC.
But part of the agreement is that the Army-Navy game will remain on it's date the week after the conference championship week and will be considered a non-conference game.

HOWEVER, it would be possible that Army and Navy could play each other in the AAC title game, and then play AGAIN the next week in the non-conference Army-Navy game.

Why is literally every media outlet reporting that the Gophers are going to a bowl game, and no media outlets are talking about contingency plans for Navy?

Honestly, the best thing to do would be to grant Army the waiver for the two FCS wins, and give the winner of Army-Navy the last bowl spot.
Army tried that and was denied a year or two ago.
They rarely do that. The only one I can think of is when NMSU’s opponent canceled a game so they only had 11

And the only last minute reschedule they could find was FCS

Any news about Navy's bowl game? Anything yet?

Doesn’t prove that it would not have been allowed to choose to wait for Navy. Bowls just chose not to

Detroit can’t choose us over Navy (if they’re 6-6) or JSU. The bowl eligibility rules are clear that you have to select everyone eligible in one category before moving on to the next.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Doesn’t prove that it would not have been allowed to choose to wait for Navy. Bowls just chose not to
Lol.
Positively Trumpian.

"Just because I was proven 100 percent wrong doesn't mean I was wrong."

Top Bottom