Has this team given up on Pitino?

Gopherfan1000

Reaction score
Monday's loss was pathetic in all phases of the game. But, what truly is aggravating to watch is the team's undisciplined character. Is it that they are that undisciplined? Or, do they just lack motivation to play for this coach?

The Gophers do not hustle back, they make lousy passes, take lousy shots, play lousy defense, and run a lousy offense that consists of one good player in Oturu. And, we have lackluster/inconsistent guard play at best. This team can also never see to finish a game off. They should have beaten DePaul in my humble opinion. Dumb mistakes cost us that game. This is a common theme under Pitino since year 1. Maybe these guys are just that bad? Or, maybe they've given up on their fearless leader as I nagged at above.

I understand we are 9 games into the season and it is early, but it's been worse than I expected. Without the development and strong play by Oturu this could very well be a 2-7 team right now. I really hope we don't lose by 50 to OSU on Sunday...

Thoughts? Hate to sound so negative but this is reality right now.

yeah they have all quit. the team only walk on's remain.....A true basketball expert like myself saw this coming based on talent level, depth and experience. Shocked when all the rubes thought that Coffey and Murphy were not going to be missed a heck of a lot both were more productive that most 5 star recruits . Pitino will be back next season and the leash will be very short like it was going into the 2018/2019 season...if you actually watched the game and possessed a modicum of basketball knowledge you would know your post is mostly BS

I would probably recommend you tune out the Gophers season and come back when they hire a new coach. Or point me in the direction of a team that doesn't have "lousy passes, take lousy shots, play lousy defense, and run a lousy offense that consists of one good player in Oturu" from time to time within a game. In 100-150 possessions a game, you will see bad basketball, bad shots, bad defense in every game, on every team, in every year. But clearly that is ALL that you see. The Gophers top three guards shot 3-29 and not all of them were bad shots. In fact, many of them were good shots that just didn't go in. That won't happen again all year.

Last night Iowa went into Iowa State where it is tough to win and beat them by 16. They will be a team that will get hot and beat teams like than and then get cold and lose the same way. No one likes what we saw in the Iowa game but we have a long time to turn it around. Oturu is an excellent player. Gabe, Carr and Willis are solid but all played lousy against Iowa. There is enough here to compete and improve. They need to play a lot harder and shoot a lot better.

The Iowa game lacked energy and people looked lethargic (especially Kalsheur). Time will tell if that game was an anomaly.
I cannot foresee a positive outcome against ohio. I think we will lose by 20 points and be outplayed at every position (including Oturu). It will be a bad loss. I will watch to see if kids quit when they are getting beat down. This team is too young to know how they will respond.
If it gets bad, I expect some will walk into Coyles office to have a conversation.

The team isn't as bad as the record indicates. They have some good pieces and are mixing in some new pieces...they will have a few very good wins against ranked Big Ten teams by the time the season ends.

The team isn't as bad as the record indicates. They have some good pieces and are mixing in some new pieces...they will have a few very good wins against ranked Big Ten teams by the time the season ends.
Yes, the record is the record.

Only 9 games in and the reality is that this is all there is to hope or expect for this season.

Last edited:

Only 9 games in and the reality is that is all there is to hope or expect for this season.
Its super frustrating and won't be the most fun season to tune in, but I honestly think if Oturu comes back next year we will be a good team.

I expect a totally different mindset back at the barn, I hope they can keep it close and anything could happen. Can't make mistakes on defense or the game will be over early.

This kind of post happens After. Every. Fricken. Loss.

I’m not an apologist but come on. Turns out this team isn’t that good, so why would a loss on the road to a tough Iowa team in the oddly timed December home opener make anyone think he’s lost the team? We created good shots for our shooters and they didn’t fall. Iowa’s shots did. Wait to see how the team responds to adversity and the grind of the season. Wait to see how the team plays in a home big ten environment. Wait until the actual conference season begins. There’s plenty of other things to complain about, this is not it.

up for the worst thread of 2019
Along side of Rate the last three awful coaches. Makes me think we have some trolls on board. I hope potential basketball recruits never read the gopherhole basketball forum.

I want the Gophers to win. I hope they win. But it's hard for me to be overly optimistic right how.

I think what this illustrates is the gap between the Gophers and the good, consistent programs. Most programs outside of the real blue bloods can have bad luck, injuries, or a down year in recruiting. But the good programs are good because they don't stay down. they regroup and improve. that's what gets me about the Gophers under Pitino - the yo-yo nature of the program. Good year - bad year - good year- bad year.

if it was good year - good year - good year - bad year......that would be a lot easier to deal with. I just want more good than bad - not an even portion.

Pitino just sucks. I don't think the idea that he "lost" the team is accurate. The team is still listening to him, but the team will still do badly.

Monday's loss was pathetic in all phases of the game. But, what truly is aggravating to watch is the team's undisciplined character. Is it that they are that undisciplined? Or, do they just lack motivation to play for this coach?

The Gophers do not hustle back, they make lousy passes, take lousy shots, play lousy defense, and run a lousy offense that consists of one good player in Oturu. And, we have lackluster/inconsistent guard play at best. This team can also never see to finish a game off. They should have beaten DePaul in my humble opinion. Dumb mistakes cost us that game. This is a common theme under Pitino since year 1. Maybe these guys are just that bad? Or, maybe they've given up on their fearless leader as I nagged at above.

I understand we are 9 games into the season and it is early, but it's been worse than I expected. Without the development and strong play by Oturu this could very well be a 2-7 team right now. I really hope we don't lose by 50 to OSU on Sunday...

No, but a different Minnesota basketball team has quit on their coach, LOL.

No, they have not. And, this is a pet peeve of mine, but if you are telling people that your opinion is humble, are you really being that humble?

Really? Like 7 losses in a row and giving up 130 points per game?
Talk about a dumpster fire.
You didn't watch last nights game. They were down by 27 and came back in a flurry to make it a 5 point game a few different times. Teams that quit don't do that. The Wolves rosters sucks (just like the Gophers) but they haven't quit on the coach or each other.

Top Bottom