Gray Duck Spirits Sets $1 Million Goal in Partnership with Minnesota NIL Collective

Where are you guys finding it regularly? Total wine in Minnetonka had the seltzer with the DTA logo, but I didn't see the beer.
I think I found mine at Total Wine in Maple Grove, but that was back probably in October or November.

Yea, I def had that sort of takeaway as well. Their aiming for 30% of marketshare in Minnesota - if I'm not mistaken - and most big vodka drinkers aren't paying attention to Gopher Football. But I'd love to see it.
For sure.

I don't know if MN's collective was the first to deploy the glorified bake sale play, and no one knows for sure if it has a chance to move the needle (I don't believe it will), but nonetheless it is a creative attempt to boost the donations.

I wish all NIL deals were as public as NFL salaries, they should be treated that way.

It would be interesting then to see breakdowns of NIL into categories of:
- non-collective
- collective:
-- marginal (say anything less than $1k per year)
-- large ($1k-$50k per year)
-- exceptional (more than $50k per year)

I would guess DTA does as good as any P5 school on a per capita basis in the marginal collective donations. But guessing that the large and exceptional categories are where the needles are moved. The non-collective are mega-deals for high-end players. Bake sales aren't going to help those, is my belief. We'll see what comes of it.

Yea, I def had that sort of takeaway as well. Their aiming for 30% of marketshare in Minnesota - if I'm not mistaken - and most big vodka drinkers aren't paying attention to Gopher Football. But I'd love to see it.

They are looking for 30% of the market leader....not 30% of the market. That would be completely unattainable.

They are looking for 30% of the market leader....not 30% of the market. That would be completely unattainable.
How much of the market does the market leader have? Who is the market leader? Are we talking about individual brands (which there are probably over a hundred, and the leader would be what? Gray Goose?) or are we talking about parent companies, of which I would not be surprised to learn there are actually less than 20. (There's probably one parent company that owns the top 5 brands.)

Where are they at now? What kind of increase would be needed?

Yeah, not suspicious at all to leave that information out of the announcement!

Hey, I mean it's just a goal, right? Why not set the goal at a billion??

I think I found mine at Total Wine in Maple Grove, but that was back probably in October or November.
I found the beer at the Town Centre total wine in Eagan. Haven't gone hunting for it at any of the smaller liquor stores.

How much of the market does the market leader have? Who is the market leader? Are we talking about individual brands (which there are probably over a hundred, and the leader would be what? Gray Goose?) or are we talking about parent companies, of which I would not be surprised to learn there are actually less than 20. (There's probably one parent company that owns the top 5 brands.)

The only information we need to know is that if people buy the Vodka, that they will be donating. It really doesn't need to be complicated.

Did you listen to the interview on KFAN with Derek Burns over the Holiday's with Gaard? He gives some good insight.

What the hell is wrong with you?

The only information we need to know is that if people buy the Vodka, that they will be donating. It really doesn't need to be complicated.

Did you listen to the interview on KFAN with Derek Burns over the Holiday's with Gaard? He gives some good insight.
Consider who you are replying too.....of course it has to be complicated. :)

I'm always shocked when I hit the show ignored content and I see all his posts and it is a great reminder of why I made that decision in the first place.

Not understanding your negativity about this? It is really an easy way to generate revenue for DTA and the goal they are setting is very realistic. Even if the goal is not met, every purchase does generate revenue for DTA.

What the hell is wrong with you?
What's wrong with you? Why won't you reveal some very basic information? All I want to know is your social security number, your credit card number, your bank accounts, and your past 5 sexual partners? Geez what's with keeping all these secrets????????

What's wrong with you? Why won't you reveal some very basic information? All I want to know is your social security number, your credit card number, your bank accounts, and your past 5 sexual partners? Geez what's with keeping all these secrets????????
lol.....well played.....now just post another 35 or so times over the next 2 pages and you will have totally nailed it.

Def wasn't a business major, but in my half assed google follow up, i'm reading that "market leader" means "a company with the largest market share in an industry"

So perhaps this is a difference without distinction, but I'm genuinely curious about what grey duck's actual goal is. Not trying to be a smart ass over here.

Consider who you are replying too.....of course it has to be complicated. :)

I'm always shocked when I hit the show ignored content and I see all his posts and it is a great reminder of why I made that decision in the first place.
Ugh...I just made the mistake of looking. Damn curiosity 🤣🤣

Ugh...I just made the mistake of looking. Damn curiosity 🤣🤣
Same thing happens to me more often then I would like. Especially when I see other people replying to MPLS over here or BarnBurner on the basketball side.

But that ignore feature definitely makes both boards more enjoyable when you can filter out some of the unwanted clutter.

According to this for the U.S., Tito's holds about a 13% market share nationally (11.55M of 89M cases). If MN is similar, 30% of the market leader would be about 3.9% market share, somewhere around Absolut and Svedka and just above Grey Goose. Granted, this is not MN data and could be all wrong.

1705598899834.png

Def wasn't a business major, but in my half assed google follow up, i'm reading that "market leader" means "a company with the largest market share in an industry"

So perhaps this is a difference without distinction, but I'm genuinely curious about what grey duck's actual goal is. Not trying to be a smart ass over here.

It's a pretty big distinction. The market as a whole is 100% of vodka sales. That's broken up into every vodka company. Let's just say that Smirnoff is the market leader (highest sales) in Minnesota and has 33% of the market. For simplicity sakes.....let's say the total vodka market is $3 million (obviously much higher.....but just for example). That means the market leader sales are one third or $1 million. They are not saying they need to do 30% of the entire market....or $900k ($3m x 30%) in sales. They just want 30% of Smirnoff's (market leader) $1 million which would be $300k ($1m x 30%).

I'd be surprised if any single vodka company has 30% of the entire market considering how many options there are.

What's nice about this program? It does not cannibalize any other fund raising. Everyone who purchases their product (not only Gopher supporters) makes a donation. If you drink beer, vodka Gray Duck Spirits makes a donation not the customer. If one has friends relatives or neighbors who are other B1G fans gifting Gray Duck Spirits lets them be a Silent Supporter of Gopher Athletics. Which puts a smile on your face when they thank you! Win Win situation.

Last edited:

According to this for the U.S., Tito's holds about a 13% market share nationally (11.55M of 89M cases). If MN is similar, 30% of the market leader would be about 3.9% market share, somewhere around Absolut and Svedka and just above Grey Goose. Granted, this is not MN data and could be all wrong.
Thanks for finding some numbers to create some context. I don't know if these numbers are accurate for Minnesota or not, but assuming that they are close and Gray Duck wants to get to a 3-4% share of the Minnesota market, that's a tough task. It's a competitive and fragmented market. But it's a little bit easier when they are receiving free promotion in local media due to their association with the state's flagship university. Coupled with Greenway's regular appearances and promotion on KFAN and their affiliation with the Twins, they have quite a nice marketing plan working right now.

Did anyone order the Dinkytown athletics baseball cap? Mine arrived today. Love ‘em.

Not understanding your negativity about this? It is really an easy way to generate revenue for DTA
I'm not negative in the slightest. I have no idea why anyone would falsely project that.

Sure it's easy, they don't have to do anything. The company gets a boost in sales with likely very little loss of profit (why else would they do it?).

and the goal they are setting is very realistic.
According to what?

The only information we need to know is that if people buy the Vodka, that they will be donating.
Then why not just simply state something like "for every 1.75L we sell, we will donate $0.35 to DTA, which is 5% of the profit we make on the bottle"?

That's the actual thing.

Doesn't sound sexy though, does it? Doesn't motivate people to go out and buy.

Then why not just simply state something like "for every 1.75L we sell, we will donate $0.35 to DTA, which is 5% of the profit we make on the bottle"?

That's the actual thing.

Doesn't sound sexy though, does it? Doesn't motivate people to go out and buy.
Tell me you know nothing about marketing without telling me you know nothing about marketing.

5?

Tell me you know nothing about marketing without telling me you know nothing about marketing.
Oh I know fully that the entire thing is nothing more than a marketing play.

Everything that gets put out into the real world that is associated with DTA is nothing more than a marketing play.

I mean ... we're talking about convincing working families to donate their money to .... college kids so they can have extra spending money to buy whatever they want.

That's what college NIL collectives are.

So at least in that sense, I very much agree that these bake sale plays are a lot better than just pure donations. At least you're getting a burger, or beer, or bottle out of it.

Of course, in a real bake sale the baked goods are given away for free so that the cause can keep all of the sales. In this case, DTA only gets a small fraction of the profit on each sale.

Oh I know fully that the entire thing is nothing more than a marketing play.

Everything that gets put out into the real world that is associated with DTA is nothing more than a marketing play.

I mean ... we're talking about convincing working families to donate their money to .... college kids so they can have extra spending money to buy whatever they want.

That's what college NIL collectives are.

So at least in that sense, I very much agree that these bake sale plays are a lot better than just pure donations. At least you're getting a burger, or beer, or bottle out of it.

Of course, in a real bake sale the baked goods are given away for free so that the cause can keep all of the sales. In this case, DTA only gets a small fraction of the profit on each sale.
DTA is not a bake sale. It's more like the Girl scouts or any fundraiser that youth associations do. Which everyone, but you seems to understand is how fundraising works. You buy something and a portion goes back to the organization you are supporting. Bake sales are like garage sales where the items/service is donated and 100% goes to the organization. A bake sale would be awesome for DTA as they would get all the $$. You're a genius!

I would love to see maroon and gold apparel offered with a link to DTA. Their clothes are priced pretty fairly.

Obviously, you can count yourself. More than once, if necessary.

I finally bought some today. They did have it at Total Wine in Minnetonka. I shall report back later this evening.

Top Bottom