Gophers versus Nebraska at Williams Arena on Wed. - Who You Picking?

We better win.
Agreed. If we lose this game at home, then Coyle will need to get out that Rolodex and start making calls for the future coach. We cannot lose this game against an equally bad opponent on our own court.

+2.5pts (Torvik) but MN will win on FTs last minute, and be 1-1 in decent shape

Agreed. If we lose this game at home, then Coyle will need to get out that Rolodex and start making calls for the future coach. We cannot lose this game against an equally bad opponent on our own court.

Unfortunately, that hasn't been verified yet. The only evidence we have that might point in that direction is a 29 point blowout loss on their home court to a very good team.

I think we can pull this one out. We showed what kind of team we are for the majority of the OSU game. Just need to get Daws a breather in the 2nd half this time

True. For about 30.5 minutes of a 40 minute game, we outscored them by 5 points. Unfortunately, for the other 9.5 minutes, we were outscored by 15. And, as people either know or could guess, those 9.5 minutes occurred at the beginning of the two halves. One could tell by the eye test that Ohio State was a good team but that is also backed up by the quantitative indexes. Of the five indexes I've reviewed, three have them in the Top 25,, one has them at #27 and the lowest ranking is #35.

I'm glad Garcia had his career high but it's too much to ask of a single player to score 30+ on a regular basis. Definitely need more players to share the load against Nebraska and, hopefully, the coach will make the personnel choices that minimize the chances of us getting down early.

As soon as you see the same starting lineup, you will realize you should have picked Nebraska.

Ben ain’t going to change it.

Would love to see:
Hawkins
Christie
JoJ
Garcia
Payne

It’s the lineup 90% of us would go with!

Carringtin and Ihnen need to be shaken up, sitting them at the start might help.

And their biggest problem is plain to see from the boxscores. They don’t shoot! 0-1 and 0-0 are not starters numbers. They are “Oh shit, I have to play this guy because of cholera outbreak or something!”

Shooters need to shoot. The fact they aren’t is either a horrible offense or a complete loss of confidence. Most likely it is both.

As soon as you see the same starting lineup, you will realize you should have picked Nebraska.

Ben ain’t going to change it.

Would love to see:
Hawkins
Christie
JoJ
Garcia
Payne

It’s the lineup 90% of us would go with!

I agree that the lineup that is starting halves is not working and needs to be ditched as soon as possible. Your starting lineup is fine but I think one that includes Mitchell in the starting lineup and uses JOJ as the #1 reserve might work too.

I agree that the lineup that is starting halves is not working and needs to be ditched as soon as possible. Your starting lineup is fine but I think one that includes Mitchell in the starting lineup and uses JOJ as the #1 reserve might work too.
JOJ works with this group cuz he doesn't need the ball to score, if Mitchell started there may be one too many on the court looking for their own shot. Personally I really like Mitchell and what he brings as a reserve.

JOJ works with this group cuz he doesn't need the ball to score, if Mitchell started there may be one too many on the court looking for their own shot. Personally I really like Mitchell and what he brings as a reserve.

Someone wrote here that he thought the presence of JOJ along with Garcia and Payne tends to clog up the front court a bit too much. There might be something to that. It's interesting that JOJ is only 8th on the team in minutes per game despite starting. He's a bit foul prone - 4.8 fouls per 40 minutes. I could also see him thrive if more of his minutes came against second stringers and playing along with teammates who were less assertive scorers.

And we are getting 7.5 points in Vegas... the should win talk is wacky
But we could win

The official line will not be settled until Wednesday. Of course, you're always willing to make claims based on shoddy evidence. I doubt we get 7.5 points. ESPN's BPI game predictor says Nebraska by 9/10ths of a point (.9).

Actually, doing a little more research, I see that there was a 7.5 point spread in a Nebraska vs. Minnesota game but that spread was dated August 31st 2023 and applied to the football game. Also, Minnesota was a 7.5 favorite.

Last edited:

The official line will not be settled until Wednesday. Of course, you're always willing to make claims based on shoddy evidence. I doubt we get 7.5 points. ESPN's BPI game predictor says Nebraska by 9/10ths of a point (.9).
It's 1.5 currently per espn

My disappointment with Mitchell is his handle. He gets picked by quick guards.

I have a friend who is a huge Nebraska fan. When Nebby got out to that 7-0 start, he was really beating the drum about how good they were going to be this year. after the Creighton game, things have been very quiet. I'll see him tonight at a HS game - I'm sure he expects a big win for the Huskers.

on the Gophers, yeah, the rotations have me puzzled, to say the least. every time Fox is out there he seems to bring energy to the court. he can rebound, he's a good passer and he can block a shot. I cannot understand why Fox is not at least getting 10 minutes a game - unless it's something physical - and he sure looked OK on that tip dunk that was over-ruled.

My disappointment with Mitchell is his handle. He gets picked by quick guards.
For me it is his defense...he cannot play man to man defense. Either they are 5 on 4 or his responsibility just scores or he fouls them....pretty close to every possession.
For me it's his shooting. He shoots way too much and way too quickly.

And yet, he's still better than Hawkins.

But Ben is proud of how he's recruited the guard position.

For me it's his shooting. He shoots way too much and way too quickly.

And yet, he's still better than Hawkins.

But Ben is proud of how he's recruited the guard position.
Ben does awkward really really well. ‘Can you name a coach you admire?’ ‘Tomlin.’

on the Gophers, yeah, the rotations have me puzzled, to say the least. every time Fox is out there he seems to bring energy to the court. he can rebound, he's a good passer and he can block a shot. I cannot understand why Fox is not at least getting 10 minutes a game - unless it's something physical - and he sure looked OK on that tip dunk that was over-ruled.

Agree in Fox. Statistically he has been really solid in limited minutes.

Vegas has Neb -2. You know its been a struggle when you are home dogs to Nebrasketball

MN (+2.5 Torvik) wins tonight at home behind 11 MN 3PFGs, and a decisive rebounding advantage. Single digit turnovers and nearly 70% assist ratio. That would be the home cooking we need.

Top Bottom