Gophers versus Nebraska at Williams Arena on Wed. - Who You Picking?

We will win by 6. Crowd will be rocking.

Why not us? Why not now?

Go Gophers!!
I think we can pull this one out. We showed what kind of team we are for the majority of the OSU game. Just need to get Daws a breather in the 2nd half this time

View attachment 28772
Pretty clear who the starters should be based on last night's box score. If Ben makes the adjustments many are hoping for, we should be able to handle Nebraska.
2 of our starters combining for 0-1 ? That's pretty unacceptable. I know Carrington plays good d and Ihnen does too and provide length, that's all they're doing at this point. Christie looks like the real deal

We CANNOT go 5 minutes w/out scoring again. If we go a minute or 2 w/out scoring, Ben needs to set up an iso with Garcia. Either a basket or foul shots(or both). Ihnen needs 35 minutes + ON THE BENCH. Gophers take this one if Christie can hit a few shots.

To be fair Ihnen had 33 bench minutes against tOSU

2 of our starters combining for 0-1 ? That's pretty unacceptable. I know Carrington plays good d and Ihnen does too and provide length, that's all they're doing at this point. Christie looks like the real deal
There's no question why Ben likes Carrington in the starting lineup over Christie: he's a rebounding machine, and rebounds win ballgames. I don't mind if Christie is the sixth man, but he needs to get a lot of minutes, and their respective minutes need to be flexible depending on how things are going and what they need on the floor at a particular time.

If Payne is not limited as to his minutes anymore, him not starting is coaching malpractice. Another WTF from where I sit.

We CANNOT go 5 minutes w/out scoring again. If we go a minute or 2 w/out scoring, Ben needs to set up an iso with Garcia. Either a basket or foul shots(or both). Ihnen needs 35 minutes + ON THE BENCH. Gophers take this one if Christie can hit a few shots.

I think you mean 5 minutes at the beginning of each half. Ben needs to realize that he has no margin for error against quality teams (like anyone in the top 100 or more). His "depth" is only depth when the team is playing sub-200 teams.

To grab a "Fleckism", we are zero and zero against Nebraska in this year's game. The boys have to go out and, in Stan's words, "Get er Done!"

This year's team is different from last years so the past doesn't matter. However, going by the past would make me think we lose this game.

We need our bench to show up. We can't expect Garcia to have games like last night to keep us around in a game. Unfortunately the rest of the crew are either not that good or they are soft and need to toughen up immediately. Whatever it is, the kids need to hit the next gear or they will get torched in nearly every game in the B1G.

There's no question why Ben likes Carrington in the starting lineup over Christie: he's a rebounding machine, and rebounds win ballgames. I don't mind if Christie is the sixth man, but he needs to get a lot of minutes, and their respective minutes need to be flexible depending on how things are going and what they need on the floor at a particular time.

If Payne is not limited as to his minutes anymore, him not starting is coaching malpractice. Another WTF from where I sit.

It shouldn't be an either/or. If you want to continue to start Carrington for those reasons, you can start Christie and either Hawkins or Mitchell with him.

I agree. I don’t mind Christy being the six man as long as he gets his minutes but Payne should be starting. There’s no reason he shouldn’t be. They need to give the guys minutes who are actually be productive. Hell I can step in float around the perimeter not play defense and miss open shots just as well as Ihnen can.

Carrington had a -18 when he was on the floor. That does not win ballgames. It does the opposite. Single game +/- stats can be misleading, though, so I'd like to see where he compares to others on the year.

Payne played 30 minutes last night. That is starter's level minutes, whether he was on the floor at the opening tip or not. Does it really make a difference which 30 minutes he plays?

Mostly people only look on one end of the floor when evaluating who deserves to play. The offense played efficiently enough to beat a lot of teams. OTOH, the defense...

Until the Gophers prove they can beat teams of similar or higher competition it will be hard to pick them to win.

I would say closer to 9000 simply because it’s the Big Ten opener
Is that really a big deal this year? They have ~6,000 season tickets with students. I expect most of them to show up. But I'll be surprised if the total is over 8,000. Mizzou had under 9K and there was actually some buzz at the time.

Carrington had a -18 when he was on the floor. That does not win ballgames. It does the opposite. Single game +/- stats can be misleading, though, so I'd like to see where he compares to others on the year.

Payne played 30 minutes last night. That is starter's level minutes, whether he was on the floor at the opening tip or not. Does it really make a difference which 30 minutes he plays?

Mostly people only look on one end of the floor when evaluating who deserves to play. The offense played efficiently enough to beat a lot of teams. OTOH, the defense...
This makes a difference when they get down early because they can't score while one of our best offensive options is on the bench. This happened against USF as well. Ben want's Ihnen's shooting out there I'm guessing, but if he's not brining that he's not really doing anything that says he deserves to be starting right now.

This game is as close to a must win as you can get in December.

Like some others said- after Wednesday, we won't have another game again a real team until Michigan on Jan 4th. That's 4 weeks of negativity swirling, 4 weeks of doubt from the boys that we can beat a real team, etc.

Nothing we do in the 4 remaining cupcake games will do anything to quiet the noise (unless we manage to lose one of them somehow).

This makes a difference when they get down early because they can't score while one of our best offensive options is on the bench. This happened against USF as well. Ben want's Ihnen's shooting out there I'm guessing, but if he's not brining that he's not really doing anything that says he deserves to be starting right now.
Ihnen’s scoring is just so rough right now. 9 points in the last 85 minutes of playing time. You’d have to be one of the greatest defender’s ever to warrant playing time with that output.

Is that representative of Carrington's +/- in other games/the whole season? He seems to have had an uncharacteristically bad night in Columbus.

When Christie is on the floor the offense needs to go to ball movement rather than Hawkins dribbling through the lane looking for a dump off. With good rotation, including kickouts by Payne and Dawson, you can get Christie open looks where he squares up. He'll hit those at 50% all year.

Last night we did not once get Christie a great open look.

Is that representative of Carrington's +/- in other games/the whole season? He seems to have had an uncharacteristically bad night in Columbus.
He was bad against San Francisco too, however+/- not as glaring cause everyone was bad for the most part

Top Bottom