Gophers rumored to be paying $30,000 for Kramer to play in bowl game

Yeah considering the source is a random fan forum post, pump the brakes on serious issues here folks.
If you really stop and think about it, it doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to whip up this "scenario" out of thin air. Down to a walk-on QB, starter bolts because he got yelled at, the other backup homesick and jettisons, Kramer set to ride off in the sunset and get married. Easy story to create and spread. Toss some nominal dollar value on it - enough to be "outrageous" to the average fan (1/2 of the average USA salary and significant to the upper 10% - 15%'s income ), but really a drop in the bucket when we are talking millions of dollars available. Chat GPT could have generated this without even being prompted.

Doesn't need to be news anymore. It is all about traffic and clicks. As long as "news" outlets keep biting on it, these stories will only continue.

Now watch the NCAA investigate the U of Mn for paying players. We are a known enough program to make an example of, but not one of the blue bloods that makes the world go around! :) :)

This might make sense as an agreement to be backup for 2024. It makes no sense for one game versus Bowling Green when we all know there is a high likelihood of a dozen passes (or less) winning or losing. Surely Shik with his St Thomas offer pedigree can complete some passes.

I'm not going to post his wedding site directly on here, but if you have two brain cells you can do an appropriate Google search and it will be the top result.

Feb 3 is the date, location is in Minnesota. It does mention in their "story" that they did long distance to Arizona.

Which goes along with this part of the supposed OP narrative:

Kramer wasn’t planning to stick around until the end of December, either. He had a new house ready for him in Arizona, a fiance ready to get married and a big boy life to start.

So I'm not sure if it was in another thread or a different narrative, but I don't think any wedding got moved.

Wonder how that $30k would look on a W2? Employer: University of Minnesota Sport Department - For Services Rendered

Wonder how that $30k would look on a W2? Employer: University of Minnesota Sport Department - For Services Rendered
If that’s how it looks Minnesota is going to get hammered by the ncaa

I'm not going to post his wedding site directly on here, but if you have two brain cells you can do an appropriate Google search and it will be the top result.

Feb 3 is the date, location is in Minnesota. It does mention in their "story" that they did long distance to Arizona.

Which goes along with this part of the supposed OP narrative:

Kramer wasn’t planning to stick around until the end of December, either. He had a new house ready for him in Arizona, a fiance ready to get married and a big boy life to start.

So I'm not sure if it was in another thread or a different narrative, but I don't think any wedding got moved.
Glad people here are so concerned they look up a persons wedding date. Why does anyone really give a shit either way? He’s playing, if he got some cash good for thin, if he didn’t who cares either. His last game with the program after a long career I’m happy for him. Not criticizing you, just wondering why it’s such a big deal

After all, school and coaching staff are not supposed to have an iota of directing how NIL money/offers be made to players. So can’t be that staff instructed DTA to figure out what kind of extra package they could offer to get Kramer to stay for bowl game. That wouldn’t be allowed.
Oh yeah...I'm sure businesses are lining-up to pay for the Name, Image, & Likeness of college football players. That will really boost their sales.

To be in compliance...they can have Kramer do a 1-minute Twitter ad for some company.

This makes no sense. Kramer is going to get his first chance to start a game in his career and he is going to use it as an opportunity to extort the U out of $30 k to avoid missing two weeks of practice? Then we’d actually pay if? lol

This is fan fiction by someone who hates NIL and forgot that their the parties involved.

This makes no sense. Kramer is going to get his first chance to start a game in his career and he is going to use it as an opportunity to extort the U out of $30 k to avoid missing two weeks of practice? Then we’d actually pay if? lol

This is fan fiction by someone who hates NIL and forgot that their the parties involved.
I hope you are correct, NIL or no, this would be kinda stinky in my opinion. Seems to not be in the spirit of the NIL.
I very much do find it strange that there are no denials from the U or from Kramer, although coach is very deliberate in things like this, which is fine I guess. Would not blame Kramer, he announced he was done with the U after the last game, I believe. I’m sure he thinks there were ample opportunities for him to come in and relieve AK just for a change of pace at some point.

Whether the alleged one-game QB payola is real or Memorex, this thread has made me wonder if I've missed something fundamental about NIL?

I thought there was some actual, real, tangible private use of "name" or "image" or "likeness" or similar that occurred to receive compensation? Is that correct?

The alternative is that it's a pool of money parsed out to the players for existing. What I've missed is that it may be both.

Whether $30,000 or $30, I'm just not sure of what could be profitably marketed for Cole Kramer. Not meant as a slight to the future husband, just reality. I can see Bucky's name being employed to hawk used cars outside Eugene, but Cole is a stretch.

Just some pondering on a gray Saturday morning...

as I understand it, there are really two different types of NIL.

there is what I call the 'original' NIL - where athletes market their name, image and likeness to earn money. this could include selling t-shirts, doing endorsements and commercials, signing autographs and making personal appearances, that, as far as I know, is what NIL was originally meant to be- and it is generally what Dinkytown Athletes does.

but then there is the 'pay for play' version of NIL - where athletes receive larger sums of money in return for committing to a certain college or for agreeing to transfer from one school to another. this form of NIL may be run through a collective, or it could just be one really rich person like John Ruiz in Miami. this is - IMHO - not what NIL was meant to be, but boosters and rich people figured out that they could do 'pay for play' because no one is overseeing anything and there are no national standards or rule.

on the Cole Kramer alleged payment - this does sound like pay-for-play. but it also sounds like a unique situation that came about because of the portal.

I hope you are correct, NIL or no, this would be kinda stinky in my opinion. Seems to not be in the spirit of the NIL.
I very much do find it strange that there are no denials from the U or from Kramer, although coach is very deliberate in things like this, which is fine I guess. Would not blame Kramer, he announced he was done with the U after the last game, I believe. I’m sure he thinks there were ample opportunities for him to come in and relieve AK just for a change of pace at some point.
I think you’re right
The U of M should search the deep parts of the internet to dent any rumor that isn’t true lol

Let's pretend each of us is a paid investigative journalist. Our editor will ask us: what do we actually know about this story, in terms of substantiated, documented facts?

What would you tell him/her?
"I put it in the AI machine and got the story."

This is actually an interesting point.

Assuming it's real, if the $30k was from a married couple (the donor), it would be better for all parties to avoid DTA and make a "gift" to any named athlete (the donee). There is an "Annual Gift Exclusion" that allows any US citizen to "gift" any other US Citizen up to $17,000 (2023) each year, adjusted for inflation. It was $16,000 in 2022, $15,000 in 2021, and will accelerate to $18,000 for 2024,etc.

If a married couple "split" a gift to any designated athlete, that designated athlete would be eligible to receive a "gift" of, up to $34,000 (2023) ($17,000 x 2) with no tax consequences for either the donor, or the donee, and no need to fill out a form 709 for gifting.

Actually, it might be better to set up an organization like DTA to associate any "annual exclusion gift" to a named athlete, rather than to a pool, or bank to pay a named athlete, and have all those assets, or "gifts" pass through tax free for all parties. It would be harder for that organization to make reasonable compensation for their services, but it could be more tax efficient.

If true, I object. I’d rather give the 30 grand to Perich in addition to whatever else we’re willing to pay him. Just line up the legacy walk on and play ball. If he gets hurt, then you go wildcat who gives a shit it’s a Detroit bowl game.

If true, I object. I’d rather give the 30 grand to Perich in addition to whatever else we’re willing to pay him. Just line up the legacy walk on and play ball. If he gets hurt, then you go wildcat who gives a shit it’s a Detroit bowl game.
Objection noted and ignored
I already paid

Kramer is going to get his first chance to start a game in his career and he is going to use it as an opportunity to extort the U out of $30 k to avoid missing two weeks of practice? Then we’d actually pay if?
*BZZZZT*

Kramer announced he was moving on and took part in senior day. He made plans for the next phase of life under the timetable and assumptions that he would not be participating in the Gopher’s bowl game.

Why would he?? They had three other QB’s on the roster and he likely wouldn’t even get in the game.

He was already out the door and told the coaching staff so.

Thus it makes perfect sense that when AK and DV suddenly quit, that the coaches had to scramble just to get CK back on the team.

Try again

*BZZZZT*

Kramer announced he was moving on and took part in senior day. He made plans for the next phase of life under the timetable and assumptions that he would not be participating in the Gopher’s bowl game.

Why would he?? They had three other QB’s on the roster and he likely wouldn’t even get in the game.

He was already out the door and told the coaching staff so.

Thus it makes perfect sense that when AK and DV suddenly quit, that the coaches had to scramble just to get CK back on the team.

Try again
But, you gotta remember this is just a rumor, from the internet, being disputed by people posting on the internet. So it must be true…..wait a minute…..something is true, but it’s only true if it’s on the real news….oh nevermind.

But, you gotta remember this is just a rumor, from the internet, being disputed by people posting on the internet.
Sure, absolutely true.

And unless the NCAA decides to investigate, it will stay that way.

Theres no way coaches aren’t involved in deciding who gets paid by these collectives.

The spirit of the NIL ???

The spirit of the NIL is for boosters to buy players & recruits.

99% of these paid players & recruits aren't worth a penny in actual real advertising.

Top Bottom