Gophers rumored to be paying $30,000 for Kramer to play in bowl game

"This rumor first surfaced via an anonymous poster on the GopherIllustrated.com (247Sports) message boards with the username ‘EdenPrairieGopher‘. Part of his post reads:

“Just heard from an A+ source that Cole Kramer was given $30,000.00 to play in the bowl game from our NIL Fund. He was set to leave but thought this would be a great way to pay for his February wedding.” "
Investigative journalism at its best.

If true, that had to be a heck of a conversation with the fiancee.

"Ah, Honey, about that wedding date.....they want me to play in the Bowl game."

"No - you can't. We've been planning this wedding for months!"

"If I play in the game, they'll give me $30,000 in NIL."

"OK, what date should we move it to."
Like it or not, probably pays for the wedding.

People freaking out that $30k is possibly not the number and such a number is possibly exaggerated.

Like … $30k is nothing, in the world of P5 NIL, for schools that actually have it …
I agree with you (unusual, lol). $30k is not going to make or break our NIL fund.

Might be all they have left for now as they are paying other transfers coming in.

My A+ source says this is not accurate. Kramer has to pay us 30k to play in the bowl game.

Let's pretend each of us is a paid investigative journalist. Our editor will ask us: what do we actually know about this story, in terms of substantiated, documented facts?

What would you tell him/her?

Let's pretend each of us is a paid investigative journalist. Our editor will ask us: what do we actually know about this story, in terms of substantiated, documented facts?

Fox9?

PJ kidnapped a player from his wedding and is holding him hostage for $30k and then I get quotes from Michael Hsu about “concerns” and how he is “not surprised”.

What's your point?

Fox9?

PJ kidnapped a player from his wedding and is holding him hostage for $30k and then I get quotes from Michael Hsu about “concerns” and how he is “not surprised”.

I hope we're not going to find that there's a pizza parlor in Dinkytown with a dungeon in the basement. Or space lasers aimed at Iowa City.

If true:

It’s amazing to me how DTA just had a gut feeling that they should offer Kramer an extra $30k NIL contract, on top of what they already gave him for this season.

After all, school and coaching staff are not supposed to have an iota of directing how NIL money/offers be made to players. So can’t be that staff instructed DTA to figure out what kind of extra package they could offer to get Kramer to stay for bowl game. That wouldn’t be allowed.
May have been what they were paying Athan.

May have been what they were paying Athan.
Since I have to imagine zero (or practically zero) actual “work” is done by the players in these deals to fulfill their obligations (if there even are any), then I would think they would just pay the players up front. Or at least just over the regular season. Therefore, AK had already been paid, if that’s correct.

Those kinds of details (payment schedule) would be interesting to know, and should be made public.

Since I have to imagine zero (or practically zero) actual “work” is done by the players in these deals to fulfill their obligations (if there even are any), then I would think they would just pay the players up front. Or at least just over the regular season. Therefore, AK had already been paid, if that’s correct.

Those kinds of details (payment schedule) would be interesting to know, and should be made public.
It's a private business contract. Public has no right to know.

Just like the NFL. No one knows what anyone makes or any terms

Haven’t noticed yet, has anyone denied that he is being paid for the game?

Nobody hasn’t denied it it must be true!
Do you doubt the dollar figure or that he got paid extra at all?

He fully intended to leave the team, either by transfer or retirement, hence why he participated in senior day.

The other two QB who went into the portal were immediately gone, scrubbed from the roster.

Why wasn’t the same true of Kramer?

Also, weddings take a year to plan. Venues have to be reserved a year in advance unless they were planning to do it on someone’s personal land/backyard.

So that part of it should be relatively easy to verify. There would be a site (like on say theknot.com ) that would have the date.

It would be crazy to me that they planned it for the date of the bowl game (the day after Xmas at that) and were willing to scrap all that work.

Whether the alleged one-game QB payola is real or Memorex, this thread has made me wonder if I've missed something fundamental about NIL?

I thought there was some actual, real, tangible private use of "name" or "image" or "likeness" or similar that occurred to receive compensation? Is that correct?

The alternative is that it's a pool of money parsed out to the players for existing. What I've missed is that it may be both.

Whether $30,000 or $30, I'm just not sure of what could be profitably marketed for Cole Kramer. Not meant as a slight to the future husband, just reality. I can see Bucky's name being employed to hawk used cars outside Eugene, but Cole is a stretch.

Just some pondering on a gray Saturday morning...

Whether the alleged one-game QB payola is real or Memorex, this thread has made me wonder if I've missed something fundamental about NIL?

I thought there was some actual, real, tangible private use of "name" or "image" or "likeness" or similar that occurred to receive compensation? Is that correct?

The alternative is that it's a pool of money parsed out to the players for existing. What I've missed is that it may be both.

Whether $30,000 or $30, I'm just not sure of what could be profitably marketed for Cole Kramer. Not meant as a slight to the future husband, just reality. I can see Bucky's name being employed to hawk used cars outside Eugene, but Cole is a stretch.

Just some pondering on a gray Saturday morning...
If the IRS is really working for the American people, a lot of people should be going to jail for financial fraud over stuff like this (depending on how they taxed it)

Do you doubt the dollar figure or that he got paid extra at all?

He fully intended to leave the team, either by transfer or retirement, hence why he participated in senior day.

The other two QB who went into the portal were immediately gone, scrubbed from the roster.

Why wasn’t the same true of Kramer?

Also, weddings take a year to plan. Venues have to be reserved a year in advance unless they were planning to do it on someone’s personal land/backyard.

So that part of it should be relatively easy to verify. There would be a site (like on say theknot.com ) that would have the date.

It would be crazy to me that they planned it for the date of the bowl game (the day after Xmas at that) and were willing to scrap all that work.
I don’t even know what you’re talking about
I already told you I paid him a lot more than 30k

Top Bottom