Gophers out-coached by Purdue

So then having less talent as you’re saying would be his own fault for not recruiting the right guys and/or not developing well enough.
I said he isn’t as good of a recruiter. I’m not even going to start talking recruiting rankings 🙄. I think Fleck is a better recruiter.
Either way, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t include recruiting as part of coaching. It clearly is part of a coach’s job.
Sure it is. Go ahead and include it.
I guess if having more top 5 wins is the ultimate goal, then he’s the man. Most people think having better overall seasons is more important.
That’s a straw man. I think we can all agree that the best coaches don’t always have the best record and the best records aren’t always the best coaches. My point is that Brohm is capable of putting together game plans to beat teams that are much more talented than his. PJ really hasn’t shown that - certainly not to the same level.

We came back and tied the score at 10. It is fair to disagree with the decision to go for it and I hated the play they ran on that play but it didn't cost us the game. Missed chip shot and dropped TD that became an INT were far bigger plays than the failed 4th down conversion.
Another just monster play that isn't mentioned a lot is after the end zone pick, Purdue starts at the 20. They end up in something like 3rd and 6. We stop them, but hit the guy late out of bounds. We would have gotten the ball right back and still had all the momentum. That was yet another back breaker.

Occurred to me that maybe Purdue schemed for Mo being out from the ankle issue, which in retrospect was clearly in play last week at MSU? Certainly anyone watching that game wondered how serious it was...

We'll likely never know but if Purdue did anticpate this, well that's good insight into the game. They would have gambled that ultimately the Gophers' HC and coordinators would not want to take an undue risk for a player of Mo's caliber. Certainly Mo's performance after the nick last week was worthy of an Oscar, because if it was serious he had me fooled.

On the other hand I do think Rossi did scheme for O'Connell to play, which was good.

The game was winnable but it was not to be. Here's to Mo's return for Illinois and beyond...

That’s a straw man. I think we can all agree that the best coaches don’t always have the best record and the best records aren’t always the best coaches. My point is that Brohm is capable of putting together game plans to beat teams that are much more talented than his. PJ really hasn’t shown that - certainly not to the same level.
Sure, if we were comparing Purdue to like Oregon or someone like that. But Purdue and Minnesota are very similar in a lot of ways, including the opponents they play. So it’s absolutely fair IMO to compare their overall success.

If he’s so good at coming up with game plans to beat top 5 teams (before they played them), then the question is why don’t they win more overall? If he’s so good at it, shouldn’t it be easier to gameplan against lesser opponents?

Also, the below is incorrect. Fleck’s teams have won 3 top 25 games: Penn St, Auburn and Wisconsin.
Brohm, with less talent, has beaten more top 5 teams than PJ has beaten top 25 teams.

Another just monster play that isn't mentioned a lot is after the end zone pick, Purdue starts at the 20. They end up in something like 3rd and 6. We stop them, but hit the guy late out of bounds. We would have gotten the ball right back and still had all the momentum. That was yet another back breaker.
yes by Oliver who also missed a pretty easy interception about 4 plays after that.
I thought T Smith's almost interception would have been the biggest swing. The Gophers had just tied it and an int there would have given the Gophers the ball at the Purdue 30.

FG under 30 yards should be automatic. We didn't give them a free FG, we gave them a short field to work with but they still had to make the kick which was not a guarantee with their kicker. Trickett has been very good, unfortunately he missed a chip shot.

The MBS drop/INT in the endzone was by far the biggest difference maker play. Fans will obsess about the 4th down call because that is what fans do. But that MBS play was a backbreaker, play call was great, he was wide open, he has to catch that ball.
Your right that in most circumstances WR should catch the ball, but letting Morgan off the hook is too simple. Way to much mustard and a fastball on that play was startling and contributed to the interception. When the Oline let's Tanner feel a lot of pressure, he gets happy feet and starts throwing off his back foot and starts running around like a chicken with his head cut off. After six years this QB should be better than he is. You don't need to have a hero complex all of the time and Morgan is not good enough to freelance and try to win. He is slow and will never out run anyone.. Trust others to start making plays and they will.

Last year Spiss. I know you root for losses but that should have been a good memory for you!
Ah, I was there. Didn’t remember them being ranked, but they were 18 according to ESPN. OK - PJ has equal number of top 25 wins as Brohm does top 5 wins. My mistake.
- @GophersInIowa - the above response is exactly what I was talking about. I state that I think Brohm is a better coach than PJ and suddenly I’m “rooting for losses”.

Ah, I was there. Didn’t remember them being ranked, but they were 18 according to ESPN. OK - PJ has equal number of top 25 wins as Brohm does top 5 wins. My mistake.
- @GophersInIowa - the above response is exactly what I was talking about. I state that I think Brohm is a better coach than PJ and suddenly I’m “rooting for losses”.
It’s Johnnyboy so I don’t think he represents most here.

Potts looked like he was running scared.

That's not how I saw it. I saw it as just a matter of us getting absolutely whipped in the trenches, as in, there was just nothing there. For the vast majority of that game, our offensive lineman were just failing to create any kind of holes at all, no gaps, no seams, no anything for our running backs to try and exploit. It was like we were running into a wall, both literally and figuratively.

It's still hard for me to believe that Purdue's defense punked us that badly, but they did. They had our number all day long. I give that defense nuttin but credit, as they played their asses off in order to achieve that win.

We came back and tied the score at 10. It is fair to disagree with the decision to go for it and I hated the play they ran on that play but it didn't cost us the game. Missed chip shot and dropped TD that became an INT were far bigger plays than the failed 4th down conversion.
I never said the decision cost us the game. I will say however it provided Purdue with a HUGE confidence boost that lasted the entire game. I will also say it's decisions like this that really make you (well, me at least) wonder at times. We want clean games from the players... yet, we seem to let PJ off the hook for making what really nobody can argue was a smart or savvy decision by the head man.

My point was that in games that are being fought (and in this case lost severely) in the trenches, it's decisions like this that can sway the game or at least allow the other team to hang in there (Bowling Green anyone??).

I really thought PJ learned his lesson last year with that BG decision (didn't PJ actually apologize to fans AFTER the year, possibly this spring, about costing the fans a better outcome last year due to coaching??) but to hear him after the game say he'd do it again, really makes me question his coaching acumen. He's a motivator and he allows his coordinators a ton of leeway in their game plans BUT at times when he intervenes, he really makes some catastrophic blunders. Another was his decision against Wisconsin when up 7-0 to punt on 4th and 2 inside their 40 (we all know how that turned the tide of the game and how the game turned out).

Isn't failure learning??

Obviously the BG failure was a lesson lost.

Congrats to Jeff Brohm who now has a B1G West title to add to his trio of Wins vs Top 5 teams. He is building quite the resume at a tough school to win at.

Congrats to Jeff Brohm who now has a B1G West title to add to his trio of Wins vs Top 5 teams. He is building quite the resume at a tough school to win at.
I’m sure he appreciates your thanks!

He's 2-4, head-to-head, vs our current Minnesota Golden Gophers coach.

You bring out a two month old thread to try to prove something? Nice work. Hope you feel better now.

You bring out a two month old thread to try to prove something? Nice work. Hope you feel better now.
So once a debate stops, it’s off limits? The PJ/Brohm debate has been here since day 1. Brohm is outperforming PJ. You can accept that or you can pout when it is brought up. Your choice 🤷‍♂️

So once a debate stops, it’s off limits? The PJ/Brohm debate has been here since day 1. Brohm is outperforming PJ. You can accept that or you can pout when it is brought up. Your choice 🤷‍♂️
He is? PJ has 7 more wins than Brohm since they both joined the big ten.

He is? PJ has 7 more wins than Brohm since they both joined the big ten.
Context matters.
Brohm inherited a worse situation at a place that is tougher to recruit and win at. He has the same # of wins vs Top 5 teams as PJ has against Ranked teams. Brohm just won a B1G West title. PJ just went 0-4 against teams that are above .500. But sure, we kicked the snot out of Colorado 🤷‍♂️
- Winning the axe was fantastic. It moved this season from poor to disappointing.

Context matters.
Brohm inherited a worse situation at a place that is tougher to recruit and win at. He has the same # of wins vs Top 5 teams as PJ has against Ranked teams. Brohm just won a B1G West title. PJ just went 0-4 against teams that are above .500. But sure, we kicked the snot out of Colorado 🤷‍♂️
- Winning the axe was fantastic. It moved this season from poor to disappointing.
Thanks for the info!
Here is my question for you, how do you even measure things game to game? I think you can only really look at season to season.

Fraudy McFraudpants, ladies and gents. He lies and welches on bets, but makes up for it with arrogance and monumentally bad takes.

He isn’t outperforming PJ. How do you figure that? Just because he backed into a west title?

Top Bottom