Gophers out-coached by Purdue

The Gophers beat up on 4 bad teams. Purdue is an ok team, and the Gophers couldn't beat them at home fot another homecoming loss.

Pathetic result today.

Bigger issue is that they failed to recruit/retain adequate depth at the offensive skill positions and are dead in the water in any game they fall behind.

Out-schemed in a big way... Brohm decided that he was shutting down the running game, and did it. He was betting on Tanner Morgan not being able to beat them... or on a coaching staff without the confidence in their QB to turn him loose, so to speak.

Out-schemed in a big way... Brohm decided that he was shutting down the running game, and did it. He was betting on Tanner Morgan not being able to beat them... or on a coaching staff without the confidence in their QB to turn him loose, so to speak.
Did we not try to throw it?

Bullshit. Out played. Coaching not a factor. Tanner Morgan was terrible and the Oline showed up too late.
Coaching absolutely was a factor and it’s kind of insane that you don’t see that. Completely abandoning the offensive philosophy as soon as they are trailing in a game. Mo was out, but there were two very capable running backs playing who were finding success in the second half. Then, for whatever reason, the coaches decide being down 3 with 5 minutes left means abandoning the run game and sending every receiver 10+ yards downfield. Not to mention gifting Purdue 3 points with that 4th down attempt. There were a lot of issues today, but the playcalling was some of the worst I’ve seen (and that includes the last two years).

Bigger issue is that they failed to recruit/retain adequate depth at the offensive skill positions and are dead in the water in any game they fall behind.
If Row the Boat is about the next one up filling in at equal levels, then what happens when you call "next one up" and no one steps in?

Troll. What an expert analysis.

Gopher receiver couldn’t catch an easy TD. Gopher kicker couldn’t make an easy FG. Gopher coach couldn’t get out of his own way on 4th down. Gopher offense was out of rhythm and didn’t look ready to play. O line got manhandled. One of Ciarocca’s worst games, but nowhere near as bad as BG and Illinois last year. 20+ points without those easy mistakes.

Hard to ignore going for it on 4th from your own 29. PJ handed Purdue 3-points and a 10-0 lead.
This.

But... Let us not forget, the defense was playing great and slowly got our momentum back. Went right down and scored the tying TD. I tend to tune everything out before that because it was a brand new game... What I can not, for the life of me, understand is why we started running out the clock and just went conservative. Anyone and their dog could see that it was just a matter of time before Purdue got a score... and well, that was it.

Hard to ignore going for it on 4th from your own 29. PJ handed Purdue 3-points and a 10-0 lead.
Not ignoring it. Just didn't mention it in my post. Sure, 10 points left on the board by the players, 3 given away by Fleck. Better?

Brohm is just a better coach than PJ. 🤷‍♂️
I refuse to believe that... Fleck has had his number... It was Fleck vs Fleck today. Purdue had a good game plan but it was neutralized by the 3rd quarter. Had we scored on the two terrible offensive series after we tied it up, I have no doubt that we would have won because it would have cause Purdue to risk it more. Instead, we curled up into a ball and let Purdue do what they do. Backfired.

The coaches had plays with open players and touchdowns to be had…

They can’t catch it for them.

O-line had zero push in the first half, but more important Purdue took away the quick slant pass and catch with their coverages. Didn't help that Tanner actual felt pressure for the first time this season and although mostly accurate, he added mustard that made the deflections possible. Tough day.

We missed a 27 yard field goal and had a td bounce off MBS chest. Left 10 points on the board not due to coaching.

Exactly. Add in the bad PI call on Purdue's first drive....and that's three plays that swing 14 points. Probably worth considering a couple of BAD spots by the refs.....one of which led to the turnover on downs.

My biggest takeaway is.....I knew that you don't just plug and play someone in place of one of the best running backs in the nation. But I didn't realize how big a drop off there really was. Mo is a special player....and his absence was the difference.

I'm not jumping off the ship here at all. I think KC and Fleck will have a better gameplan set up moving forward in the case that Ibriham cannot play. I don't think we see another game in which numerous breaks all seem to go the wrong way. Still think that the Gophers are the better team and will bounce back from this loss. Disappointed.....but not panicking.

Top Bottom