Gophers out-coached by Purdue

Bullshit. Out played. Coaching not a factor. Tanner Morgan was terrible and the Oline showed up too late.
The offensive line was atrocious. The receiving corp, other than Jackson, played poorly. Wright can't seem to make catches when they count or when they are the least bit contested. MBS is turning into an offensive liability anytime he touches the ball. That end zone debacle was just lack of concentration. He makes that catch and the game is very different.

The special teams took a dump today, too. Missing a chip shot and then the inexplicable holding penalty on the OPPOSITE side of the return was mind-numbingly dumb.

Morgan is a great system QB. He cannot put a team on his shoulders, however, and pull them out of a funk. If he gets rattled early, he can't seem to shake it. An effective RPO requires a QB that can actually run. Several times he handed it to the back and they were stuffed. Had he kept it and swept outside, he had a lot of green space, assuming he could unhook the plow and get there.

They had bad energy from the start. Seemed to sleepwalk through most of the first half.

The 4th down attempt from the 29 brought back bad memories of Bowling Green. Very bad decision early in the game when the offense wasn't moving the ball. Going for it near the 50 in the fourth quarter wouldn't have been a bad idea but the defense was holding strong up to that point, so you can argue either way on that one.

Yeah the coaches put them in spots to make plays ... they just didn't.

Coaches can't catch for you... can't throw.
Heather? Looks like you’re running from thread the thread to try and protect PJ; tough job today.

this is, I believe, a D1 FB team in a P5 conference.

If losing one player causes the entire team to go into a tailspin, that does not reflect well on a number of factors.

The Gophers ran the ball effectively last season without Ibrahim. Potts looked like he was running scared. at least Williams seemed to have some drive.

this is, I believe, a D1 FB team in a P5 conference.

If losing one player causes the entire team to go into a tailspin, that does not reflect well on a number of factors.

The Gophers ran the ball effectively last season without Ibrahim. Potts looked like he was running scared. at least Williams seemed to have some drive.
Was it a tailspin really?

They had opportunities to make plays.... just didn't catch / throw / finish them.

I don't think Moe not being there really means you suddenly can't catch.

Not ignoring it. Just didn't mention it in my post. Sure, 10 points left on the board by the players, 3 given away by Fleck. Better?
Missed FG too. 16 point swing right there. That 4th down call early was dumb, and felt like a desperate move.

We missed a 27 yard field goal and had a td bounce off MBS chest. Left 10 points on the board not due to coaching.
Umm... and went for it in the FIRST QUARTER down by 7, on your own 29!!! Did the COACHE(S) forget about Bowling Green??? Deja Vu; and I don't mean the venue!!

ONLY gave up 3 points I guess, but sure gave Purdue confidence they used the rest of the game...

Coaches that people don't like:

- are always responsible for a loss
- never make the right call
- never have the right game plan
- never win a game, their players do.
- their team's lack of depth is all on them.

Coaches that people like:

- never are responsible for a loss
- always get credit for a win
- their players are always responsible for a loss
- never are responsible for their teams lack of depth

Pretty simple isn't it?

Last edited:

Umm... and went for it in the FIRST QUARTER down by 7, on your own 29!!! Did the COACHE(S) forget about Bowling Green??? Deja Vu; and I don't mean the venue!!

ONLY gave up 3 points I guess, but sure gave Purdue confidence they used the rest of the game...
We came back and tied the score at 10. It is fair to disagree with the decision to go for it and I hated the play they ran on that play but it didn't cost us the game. Missed chip shot and dropped TD that became an INT were far bigger plays than the failed 4th down conversion.

Shouldn’t he be having more overall success than him, then?
No. PJ is an elite recruiter. Brohm is not. Our team has more talent. I simply feel Brohm is a better coach. PJ has always been poor at time management and has always made poor in game decisions. Brohm, with less talent, has beaten more top 5 teams than PJ has beaten top 25 teams.

I’m well aware of what happens if someone dares to be critical of PJ on GH. You, and others, are not required to agree with me….. I really don’t care 🤷‍♂️

We came back and tied the score at 10. It is fair to disagree with the decision to go for it and I hated the play they ran on that play but it didn't cost us the game. Missed chip shot and dropped TD that became an INT were far bigger plays than the failed 4th down conversion.
How was a missed FG any bigger than giving Purdue a free FG?

Comes down to this.....it's hard to win when you only have two or three downs compared to four. That's basically what the Gophers had going on by continuing to run the ball for negative or zero yards. I get that you can't simply abandon the run altogether.....but KC and Fleck let the running game kill drives all game long.

How was a missed FG any bigger than giving Purdue a free FG?
FG under 30 yards should be automatic. We didn't give them a free FG, we gave them a short field to work with but they still had to make the kick which was not a guarantee with their kicker. Trickett has been very good, unfortunately he missed a chip shot.

The MBS drop/INT in the endzone was by far the biggest difference maker play. Fans will obsess about the 4th down call because that is what fans do. But that MBS play was a backbreaker, play call was great, he was wide open, he has to catch that ball.

FG under 30 yards should be automatic. We didn't give them a free FG, we gave them a short field to work with but they still had to make the kick which was not a guarantee with their kicker. Trickett has been very good, unfortunately he missed a chip shot.

The MBS drop/INT in the endzone was by far the biggest difference maker play. Fans will obsess about the 4th down call because that is what fans do. But that MBS play was a backbreaker, play call was great, he was wide open, he has to catch that ball.
I agree with your 2nd paragraph.
Not so much the first. FGs are missed. Even Xtra-points are missed. I’m not saying the missed FG wasn’t a big deal, but the decision to go for it on 4th was a ridiculously terrible decision. Dumb and stupid. It deserves every bit of criticism it gets and zero of the defense. I’m wondering if another coach in the Country would have done it in that situation? Likely not.

No. PJ is an elite recruiter. Brohm is not. Our team has more talent. I simply feel Brohm is a better coach. PJ has always been poor at time management and has always made poor in game decisions. Brohm, with less talent, has beaten more top 5 teams than PJ has beaten top 25 teams.

I’m well aware of what happens if someone dares to be critical of PJ on GH. You, and others, are not required to agree with me….. I really don’t care 🤷‍♂️
In the 6 completed recruiting classes since both took over their current program, each one has finished with a higher rated class in 3 of them each. Recruiting wise they’ve been pretty equal. In fact, Purdue has been able to land more high end talent than MN. So then having less talent as you’re saying would be his own fault for not recruiting the right guys and/or not developing well enough.

Either way, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t include recruiting as part of coaching. It clearly is part of a coach’s job.

About the only thing Brohm has over Fleck is more top wins. Fleck has more wins overall and head to head, has finished higher in the standings 3 years in a row, has two seasons better than Brohm’s top one and has a better bowl win.

I guess if having more top 5 wins is the ultimate goal, then he’s the man. Most people think having better overall seasons is more important.

You’re also wrong about no one being allowed to be critical of Fleck. Lots being critical of him today (rightfully so). He gets criticized a lot.

It’s fine if you like Brohm more than Fleck. But MN has clearly been more successful under Fleck than Purdue under Brohm, at least to this point. The rest of the season might change that, we’ll see.

Top Bottom