Gophers out-coached by Purdue

Context matters.
Brohm inherited a worse situation at a place that is tougher to recruit and win at. He has the same # of wins vs Top 5 teams as PJ has against Ranked teams. Brohm just won a B1G West title. PJ just went 0-4 against teams that are above .500. But sure, we kicked the snot out of Colorado 🤷‍♂️
- Winning the axe was fantastic. It moved this season from poor to disappointing.

You should go to your safe space. We will let you know when it's safe to come out.

Brohm is a good coach, no doubt. PJ is a better one.
Don’t know if i would say that.
When Brohm got bit by injury bug Fleck looked better.
With Pj bit by injury bug Brohm wins the west.
Brohm more big wins. Brohm more odd losses.

Thanks for the info!
Sure thing. You’re welcome. Would you like me to provide some context to your 45-game thread? I decided earlier to leave that one alone as it’s a happy day, but if you appreciate information I could reconsider.

I also bumped a 2-month old thread vs starting a new one as I figured folks wouldn’t want to rehash the whole argument - but checking in in old debates holds some relevance to me. I always underestimate how sensitive some Gopher fans are tho.

Sure thing. You’re welcome. Would you like me to provide some context to your 45-game thread? I decided earlier to leave that one alone as it’s a happy day, but if you appreciate information I could reconsider.

I also bumped a 2-month old thread vs starting a new one as I figured folks wouldn’t want to rehash the whole argument - but checking in in old debates holds some relevance to me. I always underestimate how sensitive some Gopher fans are tho.

You bumped an old thread because you figured people wouldn’t want to rehash old arguments? Did you write that wrong?

I don’t know that he cares as much about a particular series with a non rival. Top 5 wins and a West title
Top 5 wins don’t move the needle when you are losing a bunch of other games. West titles are a lot less cool when you don’t even finish in the top 25. Fleck had us finish a season ranked number 10. Brohm has never finished top 25 at Purdue. They’ve only cracked the top 25 once at all.

You bumped an old thread because you figured people wouldn’t want to rehash old arguments? Did you write that wrong?
Nope - you read it wrong. I said the whole argument. You realize we are nearing post 100 here, right?

Nope - you read it wrong. I said the whole argument. You realize we are nearing post 100 here, right?
What is the whole argument? About what

About whether or not Purdue outcoached and outplayed the gophers 7 weeks ago?
The answer is pretty clearly yes. Is there an argument?

What is the whole argument? About what

About whether or not Purdue outcoached and outplayed the gophers 7 weeks ago?
The answer is pretty clearly yes. Is there an argument?
Yep, Brohm said we will let the gophers drive the field, and then let their wide receiver be wide open in the end zone, and we will let the ball pop straight into the air and pick it off.

That was brilliant on Brohm's part.

Yep, Brohm said we will let the gophers drive the field, and then let their wide receiver be wide open in the end zone, and we will let the ball pop straight into the air and pick it off.

That was brilliant on Brohm's part.
Purdue game there were clearly coaching blunders that cost the team the game.
You can point directly to the stupid choice to go for it on 4th that dug a 10 point hole instead of 7.

Potts had 9 Carries for 10 yards when he clearly didn’t have it.
Whatever they were drawing up clearly Morgan wasn’t comfortable because even without the drop-pick he still had 2 other picks.

They could have won the game anyways. But the Purdue d coordinator was getting clean run through by ILBs right next to an all American center.

No way you can argue Purdue coaches didn’t have a better day than Mn coaches that day

Purdue game there were clearly coaching blunders that cost the team the game.
You can point directly to the stupid choice to go for it on 4th that dug a 10 point hole instead of 7.

Potts had 9 Carries for 10 yards when he clearly didn’t have it.
Whatever they were drawing up clearly Morgan wasn’t comfortable because even without the drop-pick he still had 2 other picks.

They could have won the game anyways. But the Purdue d coordinator was getting clean run through by ILBs right next to an all American center.

No way you can argue Purdue coaches didn’t have a better day than Mn coaches that day
All true but in spite of that we were one dropped TD-turned-INT from winning the game. That's a little bit of luck for Purdue.

Agreed. I was actually thinking about this earlier today because I figured the comparisons would be coming -- and GH never disappoints 😂. They've both done a great job imo. Brohm brought Purdue back to their very successful Tiller era spread offenses and has improved the defense the past couple years with very intentional effort. Most PU fans I know are really happy. He was owned pretty hard by Minnesota 4 years in a row, including pretty embarrassing losses in 2018 and 2020, but head to head matchups aren't the only measuring stick as was pointed out above. Personally I'm glad to see teams like Minnesota, purdue, and Illinois competing for the division and beating Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska.
I think it’s pretty fair to say they’re both pretty good coaches

So once a debate stops, it’s off limits? The PJ/Brohm debate has been here since day 1. Brohm is outperforming PJ. You can accept that or you can pout when it is brought up. Your choice 🤷‍♂️

Here I got these for you bro
🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

I don’t know that he cares as much about a particular series with a non rival. Top 5 wins and a West title

But I don't really care what he does or doesn't care about.

If the discussion is whether Brohm or Fleck is a better coach, the head-to-head games they coach against each other are relevant to the argument.

Last edited:

If the discussion is whether Brohm or Fleck is a better coach, the head-to-head games they coach against each other are relevant to the argument.
Of course they are. But they do not define the argument either. I think what Brohm has accomplished is at a higher level than what PJ has and that he is a better coach. Anyone is welcome to disagree. It’s an odd thing to take personally (not saying you are). Believe it or not, there are other coaches out there I also think are better than PJ 🤷‍♂️

Of course they are. But they do not define the argument either. I think what Brohm has accomplished is at a higher level than what PJ has and that he is a better coach. Anyone is welcome to disagree. It’s an odd thing to take personally (not saying you are). Believe it or not, there are other coaches out there I also think are better than PJ 🤷‍♂️
I think they are pretty close. Brohm has more top 5 wins and PJ has beat him head to head. I’d be happy with either they are both pretty good.

In the end if Mo plays and we beat Purdue, we are in Indy this weekend as outright West Champs.
I keep seeing this statement and while it would have been a positive to have Mo that day, it's not a guarantee we would have won. Tanner certainly doesn't throw for 257 if he plays and who knows how many yards Mo gains that day.
Purdue went into that game without their starting RB King Doerue and their QB was a game time decision, yet still found a way to win.
Injuries are part of it and on that day we did not play well enough to win. We had Mo vs Iowa and didn't win what makes everyone so certain that had Mo played vs Purdue we would have won.

I keep seeing this statement and while it would have been a positive to have Mo that day, it's not a guarantee we would have won. Tanner certainly doesn't throw for 257 if he plays and who knows how many yards Mo gains that day.
Purdue went into that game without their starting RB King Doerue and their QB was a game time decision, yet still found a way to win.
Injuries are part of it and on that day we did not play well enough to win. We had Mo vs Iowa and didn't win what makes everyone so certain that had Mo played vs Purdue we would have won.
Not saying we do for sure, but he was a gametime decision that backfired and we weren't prepared for not having him that day.

3 out of 4 years where if we beat the West Champ H2H, we go to Indi.

Top Bottom