Gophers men's basketball game Tuesday at Illinois will be postponed due to COVID-19 protocols within the U program

When four dudes are hurt another on a redshirt. Doesn't take much to get you to under five players
I have no idea what the rule is but they should make the team blow their redshirt if they need the number of players to play the game (or they can forfeit).

I have no idea how many of our guys have COVID so maybe the point is moot, but Betts should absolutely count as one of our scholarship players.

I have no idea what the rule is but they should make the team blow their redshirt if they need the number of players to play the game (or they can forfeit).

I have no idea how many of our guys have COVID so maybe the point is moot, but Betts should absolutely count as one of our scholarship players.
Who knows I'm assuming it would be some sort of HIPPA violation to know the full scale of it, unless the players release that info themselves. Guessing Betts could get a waiver if he had to play due to a Covid outbreak if it came to that in four years

Consciously not using all scholarships available should factor into this as well. One of the reasons we can’t play is we didn’t use all our scholarships. That’s not just bad luck. Illinois is paying the price for us wanting to keep guys happy.

Consciously not using all scholarships available should factor into this as well. One of the reasons we can’t play is we didn’t use all our scholarships. That’s not just bad luck. Illinois is paying the price for us wanting to keep guys happy.

Actually we did use them all. Ramberg and Betts were the last 2.

Already having one of their worst seasons, now players are being forced to play multiple games in a week. Just forfeit and let them have the extra day.
"Being forced to play"

Tell me you've never played or been around basketball without telling me.

Players would ALWAYS prefer games over practice. They'll love playing multiple games in such a short time span, even though we're likely to lose most or all of them.

I once lost fifteen straight hands of blackjack. You always think you're going to win the next one.
I had a mistake era

Won 1500 and 750 my first 2 trips and though I had a lucrative side hustle in my early 20s - trips 3-10 thought otherwise.

Young, dumb and full of rum - not a winning 🤚.

Last edited:

I once lost fifteen straight hands of blackjack. You always think you're going to win the next one.
I am on a 9 spin roulette losing streak. It was in 2018 and have not tried to snap it since, so technically still intact. I applaud you for going well into double digits.

I can't remember if I was going with "Odd" or "Even" but whatever it was, it was not working. I do remember hanging around after I quit, and it would have taken several more spins before it was broken.

Sort of a moral victory.

You always technically use them.

But I'm wondering if Betts counts as a "scholarship player" when it comes down to COVID policy. I believe he should. It's not Illinois' fault that we want to redshirt someone. We should not be able to say that he is unavailable because we want to redshirt him.

Again, I don't know if that one scholarship is the difference maker but I think this:

(1) Payne
(2) Battle
(3) Henley
(4) Cooper
(6) Samuels
(7) Thompson
(8) Ramberg
(9) Betts
(10) Carrington - INJURED
(11) Garcia - INJURED
(12) Ihnen - INJURED
(13) Fox - INJURED

Last edited:

"Being forced to play"

Tell me you've never played or been around basketball without telling me.

Players would ALWAYS prefer games over practice. They'll love playing multiple games in such a short time span, even though we're likely to lose most or all of them.
Oh, I'm sorry that I offended you with my limited knowledge of basketball. Let me apologize by deleting my account and never comment again.🙏

But I'm wondering if Betts counts as a "scholarship player" when it comes down to COVID policy. I believe he should. It's not Illinois' fault that we want to redshirt someone. We should not be able to say that he is unavailable because we want to redshirt him.

Again, I don't know if that one scholarship is the difference maker but I think this:

(1) Payne
(2) Battle
(3) Henley
(4) Cooper
(6) Samuels
(7) Thompson
(8) Henley
(9) Ramberg
(10) Betts
(11) Garcia - INJURED
(12) Ihnen - INJURED
(13) Fox - INJURED
You’re bad at counting.;)

Thanks for clarification. In a friendly discussion, I'll give you Betts as he was a scholarship recruit a year early, but Will is clearly tossing out an unused scholarship that we chose not to give to a potential additional incoming player. Details corrected, I think my point still stands that some of this is about the program's decisions, and not just bad luck in the illness and injury world.

(1) Payne
(2) Battle
(3) Henley
(4) Cooper
(6) Samuels
(7) Thompson
(8) Ramberg
(9) Betts
(10) Carrington - INJURED
(11) Garcia - INJURED
(12) Ihnen - INJURED
(13) Fox - INJURED

I see it both ways. He is a scholarship player and should count. But you shouldn't have to burn someone's redshirt and force them to lose a year of eligibility for one game because a few players were sick.

If the NCAA had any common sense, which we know they don't, they would allow a waiver for Betts to play this game if needed, and not lose his redshirt.

Thanks for clarification. In a friendly discussion, I'll give you Betts as he was a scholarship recruit a year early, but Will is clearly tossing out an unused scholarship that we chose not to give to a potential additional incoming player. Details corrected, I think my point still stands that some of this is about the program's decisions, and not just bad luck in the illness and injury world.

I agree with you. They should have filled Samuels, Ramberg's, and Betts scholarships with players that could better contribute this season. They would all have to be one year players to account for next year's recruiting class which would then include Betts. But they didn't, and it's one of the reasons we are as a bad as we are.

But technically they did fill all of their scholarships this season.

Covid is still a thing?

I assumed we would be more likely to postpone a game due to the fear of a spy balloon attack than Covid at this point.
No problem, Joe Biden said he would take care of it.

I am on a 9 spin roulette losing streak. It was in 2018 and have not tried to snap it since, so technically still intact. I applaud you for going well into double digits.

I can't remember if I was going with "Odd" or "Even" but whatever it was, it was not working. I do remember hanging around after I quit, and it would have taken several more spins before it was broken.

Sort of a moral victory.
Fortunately that situation was a party without real money involved--only door prizes--so I just kept playing. After awhile I was genuinely curious just how long it could go on.

Fortunately that situation was a party without real money involved--only door prizes--so I just kept playing. After awhile I was genuinely curious just how long it could go on.
That's good, I wish I could say the same. Next spin I think I need to pony up $150 to try and break even.

I see it both ways. He is a scholarship player and should count. But you shouldn't have to burn someone's redshirt and force them to lose a year of eligibility for one game because a few players were sick.

If the NCAA had any common sense, which we know they don't, they would allow a waiver for Betts to play this game if needed, and not lose his redshirt.
That would make too much sense.

They should just let players play in 5 non-postseason games and retain their RS. It'd build in the COVID insurance on the off chance this happens again.

Technically. But neither of those scholarships needed to be used on them. Betts would have committed without enrolling early. Ramburg would still be on the team as a walk-on. They were just given to them instead of them being wasted. It was poor, short-sighted roster management.

Technically. But neither of those scholarships needed to be used on them. Betts would have committed without enrolling early. Ramburg would still be on the team as a walk-on. They were just given to them instead of them being wasted. It was poor, short-sighted roster management.
True, but the Betts situation could have some nuance to it. Yes, another body was needed, and he was heading to prep school so he was ready for college at least academically. But there were also some rumblings that he had been under the radar, and might have drawn interest from other programs while on the prep school circuit. Encouraging the early enrolling mitigated the risk that he might seek greener pastures prior to arriving in Dinkytown.

Given that we were short on bodies at the time, and that Betts is likely to get better prep in practice than at a prep school, I'm okay with the move. Much rather have a one year player who can contribute than the redshirt, though.

At least the Maryland vs Mich State game wasn’t postponed and Izzo put an end to the Maryland winning streak.

They should just let players play in 5 non-postseason games and retain their RS. It'd build in the COVID insurance on the off chance this happens again.
That was proposed last year, but has yet to be approved. Not sure what the deal is.

Top Bottom