Gophers men's basketball game Tuesday at Illinois will be postponed due to COVID-19 protocols within the U program

Yes, it has already happened to Northwestern this season. It isn't the end of the world. Re-schedule it and move on. It isn't a waste of time. Play a contested game. Who wants a forfeit?

Careful who you ask that question to. You may be surprised at the answer

Need to reschedule. Over 15,000 tickets sold. I have 2. Why deprive fans of game? There are only so many games in a season.
Surely they can get Illinois State, UIC, Chicago State or DePaul to fill in. And get a more competitive game to boot.

Last edited:

Covid is still a thing?

I assumed we would be more likely to postpone a game due to the fear of a spy balloon attack than Covid at this point.
By all means. Still an issue but thankfully many have gotten shots etc., and meds available to recover faster. Sorry, but I don't know if you're joking if Covid is a thing.

Press release from the U:

Gopher Men’s Basketball Game Rescheduled to Monday, Feb. 20

MINNEAPOLIS –
The University of Minnesota men’s basketball game originally scheduled for Feb. 7 at Illinois, will now be played on Monday, Feb. 20 at 8 p.m. in Champaign, Ill. A television designation will be set at a later date.

The game was postponed due to COVID-19 health and safety protocols within the Golden Gopher program, announced earlier today.

Minnesota's next scheduled game is at 12 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 12 against Iowa at home. The game will air on FS1 and KFAN 100.3 FM.

I would genuinely like to know if the "You have to have 7 scholarship players" to play rule is only for Covid or not? We've been walking the line for the last couple weeks. It's fine to say "just suck it up and go play" but even if the outbreak was only 2 guys, we probably couldn't.

don't know. would have to do a deep dive into the B1G rules, assuming I could find them online.

But - I will offer a guess/supposition that, in the case you cite, a team could potentially apply for some kind of a waiver. back in the day, the Gophers added Dave Winfield from an intra-mural team and he wound up starting after the suspensions from the Ohio State brawl.

with TV contracts, etc, there would be some serious financial ramifications if a team wound up cancelling part of the season - not to mention the impact on the conference standings, tournament, and so forth.
I’m sure Illinois doesn’t want to issue refunds for tixs sold either or lose the concession income

I would genuinely like to know if the "You have to have 7 scholarship players" to play rule is only for Covid or not? We've been walking the line for the last couple weeks. It's fine to say "just suck it up and go play" but even if the outbreak was only 2 guys, we probably couldn't.
Probably an unintended consequence of pandemic rule which tied scholarship players without anticipating the problem of accumulated injuries.

Probably an unintended consequence of pandemic rule which tied scholarship players without anticipating the problem of accumulated injuries.

Exactly. The COVID rule was put in place because COVID could literally wipe out 80% of the roster in one day. So, it was implemented to safe guard against having to forfeit such games.

Knee injuries and ankle sprains are usually not contagious, so less likely to have a run of those that would wipe out half a roster (although not impossible).

Combining the two - COVID and regular injuries - makes sense, again to avoid forfeiting games.

If it is "just" injuries, I think it is likely a team would play through it as long as they have six players or more.

I'm just glad they're going to play it. You have to have the attitude that playing a game gives you a chance to win a game. You always want them to deal the cards again.
Was that your Mystic philosophy?

Exactly. The COVID rule was put in place because COVID could literally wipe out 80% of the roster in one day. So, it was implemented to safe guard against having to forfeit such games.

Knee injuries and ankle sprains are usually not contagious,
When are they?
so less likely to have a run of those that would wipe out half a roster (although not impossible).

Combining the two - COVID and regular injuries - makes sense, again to avoid forfeiting games.

If it is "just" injuries, I think it is likely a team would play through it as long as they have six players or more.

Already having one of their worst seasons, now players are being forced to play multiple games in a week. Just forfeit and let them have the extra day.

Already having one of their worst seasons, now players are being forced to play multiple games in a week. Just forfeit and let them have the extra day.
I don’t think intentionally forfeiting is a legit option, or that the B10 would allow it. Illinois also doesn’t want to lose the money from a lost home game.

Last edited:

The kids get a chance to heal up. Perhaps Garcia is ready by Sunday. This is a good time for a break. Thank you Covid. Now, let's get a bit healthy, both physically and mentally. Take a couple days to see the sports psychologist and reset.

Top Bottom