Gophers men's basketball game Tuesday at Illinois will be postponed due to COVID-19 protocols within the U program

I thought Saturday night was rock bottom...but it's 2023 and we are postponing games due to COVID. Yikes
This is Coyle trying to prop-up CBJ's winning percentage.

I assume we'll somehow have vague covid cancellations for the rest of the season....

"If you don't test, you don't get cases."

Perhaps guys have symptoms?
Seriously, maybe Covid was a reason for the performance the other night?? I hope so.

I’m guessing a couple guys are sick but if scholarship players that puts them under the minimum scholarship players available with injuries and whatnot.

I’m guessing a couple guys are sick but if scholarship players that puts them under the minimum scholarship players available with injuries and whatnot.
Bingo.

B1G rule (or NCAA rule - not sure which) says a team must have at least 7 scholarship players available. Gophers with Carrington and Garcia out have 8. so if two guys tested positive for Covid, that puts them down to 6 - and no game.

as to "why are they still testing?" Just a guess on my part, but if a player is showing symptoms, I suspect that they do a covid test to confirm or deny whether it's covid or not.

But, if the player is sick enough to require a test, you have to wonder how effective they would be in a game. so covid or not, they might not have had enough healthy bodies to play.

Bingo.

B1G rule (or NCAA rule - not sure which) says a team must have at least 7 scholarship players available. Gophers with Carrington and Garcia out have 8. so if two guys tested positive for Covid, that puts them down to 6 - and no game.

as to "why are they still testing?" Just a guess on my part, but if a player is showing symptoms, I suspect that they do a covid test to confirm or deny whether it's covid or not.

But, if the player is sick enough to require a test, you have to wonder how effective they would be in a game. so covid or not, they might not have had enough healthy bodies to play.
Just heard Barreiro talk about that rule. We have some scholarship players out due to non-covid injuries. Does the rule apply regardless of the reason for unavailability? If so, and a team had a bad rash of season ending injuries leaving them with only 6 scholarship players for the remainder of the season, is their season just over?

Need that ticket $$ from the Iowa fans...
Need that concession stand $$ from Iowa fans.... Do they sell Busch Light? Otherwise, double the usual number of hot dogs.

Just heard Barreiro talk about that rule. We have some scholarship players out due to non-covid injuries. Does the rule apply regardless of the reason for unavailability? If so, and a team had a bad rash of season ending injuries leaving them with only 6 scholarship players for the remainder of the season, is their season just over?

don't know. would have to do a deep dive into the B1G rules, assuming I could find them online.

But - I will offer a guess/supposition that, in the case you cite, a team could potentially apply for some kind of a waiver. back in the day, the Gophers added Dave Winfield from an intra-mural team and he wound up starting after the suspensions from the Ohio State brawl.

with TV contracts, etc, there would be some serious financial ramifications if a team wound up cancelling part of the season - not to mention the impact on the conference standings, tournament, and so forth.

This is Coyle trying to prop-up CBJ's winning percentage.

I assume we'll somehow have vague covid cancellations for the rest of the season....
For away games we know chances are even slimmer we spring an upset. 🙃🙃

February 20. Keep it open on your schedule.

If you don't count original walk-on Will Ramberg as a scholarship player, the Gophers were at 6 scholarship guys against Indiana. I would think a team could go with 6 scholarship guys if it came to it, as opposed to ending the season.

Need that concession stand $$ from Iowa fans.... Do they sell Busch Light? Otherwise, double the usual number of hot dogs.
Is Lois Feldman an Iowa basketball fan too?

Last edited:

Top Bottom