GOPHERS IN QUICK LANE BOWL VS BOWLING GREEN

I heard Bugtussle, GA has a low crime rate.

Also, Possum Corners, MS.

But... probably no bowl games being played in either of those. Rumor has it Bugtussle may be getting a stoplight, though... sigh... crime is sure to follow.
Had a friend when I was in the Army who was from Possum Grape, Arkansas! Who names these towns!!

Here's the latest from the Action Network bowl tracker --

Bowling Green Falcons​

Transfer Portal
Stud CB Jalen Huskey (624 snaps; first-team All MAC)
CB Deshawn Jones Jr. (197 snaps)
RB Ta'ron Keith (373 snaps and leading receiver)
Injuries
Starting S Trent Simms (418 snaps) hasn't played since Week 10.
Header First Logo

Minnesota Golden Gophers​

Transfer Portal
Starting QB Athan Kaliakmanis (773 snaps)
Backup QB Drew Viotto
---Assuming QB Cole Kramer (6 snaps) will start
RB Zach Evans (89 snaps)
Injuries
Monitor the status of Minnesota RB Darius Taylor (183 snaps).
Starters S Darius Green (499 snaps) and LB Maverick Baranowski (372 snaps) missed the finale, but LB Cody Lindenberg did return.
Potential Opt-Outs
Keep an eye on future pro S Tyler Nubin (768 snaps) who I'd imagine will sit out.

Here's the latest from the Action Network bowl tracker --

Bowling Green Falcons​

Transfer Portal
Stud CB Jalen Huskey (624 snaps; first-team All MAC)
CB Deshawn Jones Jr. (197 snaps)
RB Ta'ron Keith (373 snaps and leading receiver)
Injuries
Starting S Trent Simms (418 snaps) hasn't played since Week 10.
Header First Logo

Minnesota Golden Gophers​

Transfer Portal
Starting QB Athan Kaliakmanis (773 snaps)
Backup QB Drew Viotto
---Assuming QB Cole Kramer (6 snaps) will start
RB Zach Evans (89 snaps)
Injuries
Monitor the status of Minnesota RB Darius Taylor (183 snaps).
Starters S Darius Green (499 snaps) and LB Maverick Baranowski (372 snaps) missed the finale, but LB Cody Lindenberg did return.
Potential Opt-Outs
Keep an eye on future pro S Tyler Nubin (768 snaps) who I'd imagine will sit out.
Fleck should grab all three of the transfers.

I heard Bugtussle, GA has a low crime rate.

Also, Possum Corners, MS.

But... probably no bowl games being played in either of those. Rumor has it Bugtussle may be getting a stoplight, though... sigh... crime is sure to follow.
Random Lake, WI. Real place. Minnesota has some interestingly name towns as well. To your point, and I've posted this before, I grew up in a small town that looks like a Norman Rockwell painting. The stuff that has gone down there is out of a Steven King novel.

New York Times rates all 41 bowl games. This is us:

41. Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit): Bowling Green (7-5) vs. Minnesota (5-7); Tue., Dec. 26, 2 p.m.; ESPN

The only reason Minnesota is in a bowl game with a 5-7 record is because there weren’t enough six-win teams this season and Minnesota has the best Academic Progress Rate (APR) of the five-win teams. Props to the Gophers for the educational achievement, truly, but it earns this bowl last place on our list.

New York Times rates all 41 bowl games. This is us:

41. Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit): Bowling Green (7-5) vs. Minnesota (5-7); Tue., Dec. 26, 2 p.m.; ESPN

The only reason Minnesota is in a bowl game with a 5-7 record is because there weren’t enough six-win teams this season and Minnesota has the best Academic Progress Rate (APR) of the five-win teams. Props to the Gophers for the educational achievement, truly, but it earns this bowl last place on our list.
Fair, but I disagree
Watching that game on the 26th at 1 is better than watching some of the other below average games in less opportune time slots ignoring my local interest

San Jose State vs Hawaii with a 9:30pm kickoff - worse to me

10am on a non holiday Thursday you can watch SMU obliterate Boston college

I would probably rate MN vs Bowling green 39

PJ going to avenge one of two non conference losses in the QLB and the other first game next year. LFG!!!!

Had a friend when I was in the Army who was from Possum Grape, Arkansas! Who names these towns!!
There are a couple other great town names in Arkansas that I've driven through. Goober, AR and Frickin, AR. Me: Where you from? Him:Frickin, AR. Me: I know, but where in AR. Etc. Haha.

My brother-in-law, a great Gopher fan, takes delight in Minnesota place names such as Fertile, Remer and Climax. There's also my personal favorite: Embarrass, MN.

I also like Jim Hogg County, in Texas. Hogg was a governor of Texas and became very wealthy in oil speculation. He named his only daughter "Ima." She was raised in wealth, was a noted philanthropist and became known as the First Lady of Texas.

Anyone having a weird feeling that Cole Kramer will have a big game and be the MVP of the bowl game? It just feels like this type of ending, to his career.
I have not been drinking. :)
I’d like to see him spinning the ball on short and intermediate passes, in an RPO/rhythm passing game, like he did in this year’s spring game. A few QB run option plays or naked roll-outs, too? These are his strength, I think.

He got put in some games, cold, a few times in tough situations where he was asked to immediately throw a long (and expected) downfield pass. Not his strength.

Anyone here ever get an oil change at a Quick Lane?

Nope, but stopped and picked-up a couple of snacks and a soda at a stand alone one on Mayfair Road in Milwaukee a few years back. Did get an oil change at New Brighton Ford. Though not sure if it was called a Quick Lane back then.

so, I got to wondering about the name "Bowling Green."

a little quick research -

Bowling Green University is located in Bowling Green, Ohio.

Bowling Green, Ohio was named after Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Historians differ on how Bowling Green, Kentucky was named. some say the town of "Bolin Green" was named after Bowling Green, a park in New York City where Revolutionary War patriots had pulled down a statue of King George III and used the lead to make bullets.

But, the Encyclopedia of Kentucky claims the name was borrowed from Bowling Green, Virginia.

there are cities named 'Bowling Green' in Virginia, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Missouri, Maryland, Kentucky, Indiana and Florida. there is a Bowling Green subway station in New York City.

"bowling green' also refers to a grassy area where a lawn-bowling game was played. the game dates back to the 17th Century. there was a 'bowling green' in front of George Washington's home at Mount Vernon.

There was a person named Bowling Green who was a friend and advisor to Abraham Lincoln

Anyone having a weird feeling that Cole Kramer will have a big game and be the MVP of the bowl game? It just feels like this type of ending, to his career.
And then get married on the field during the trophy presentation

so, I got to wondering about the name "Bowling Green."

a little quick research -

Bowling Green University is located in Bowling Green, Ohio.

Bowling Green, Ohio was named after Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Historians differ on how Bowling Green, Kentucky was named. some say the town of "Bolin Green" was named after Bowling Green, a park in New York City where Revolutionary War patriots had pulled down a statue of King George III and used the lead to make bullets.

But, the Encyclopedia of Kentucky claims the name was borrowed from Bowling Green, Virginia.

there are cities named 'Bowling Green' in Virginia, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Missouri, Maryland, Kentucky, Indiana and Florida. there is a Bowling Green subway station in New York City.

"bowling green' also refers to a grassy area where a lawn-bowling game was played. the game dates back to the 17th Century. there was a 'bowling green' in front of George Washington's home at Mount Vernon.

There was a person named Bowling Green who was a friend and advisor to Abraham Lincoln
One of the better posts around here.

With thoughts like that, you probably should start.

Top Bottom