GOPHERS IN QUICK LANE BOWL VS BOWLING GREEN

some details from Randy Johnson in the Strib:

1st - on the selection process:
Because the Gophers didn't win six games, they weren't technically considered to be bowl eligible by the Big Ten. The Guaranteed Rate Bowl's contract with the Big Ten allows the bowl to pick a Mountain West team to fill its spot if there aren't enough bowl-eligible Big Ten teams. That happened, and the Guaranteed Rate Bowl was selecting UNLV from the Mountain West to face Kansas of the Big 12.

The Guaranteed Rate's move left the Quick Lane Bowl with the chance to select Minnesota, which it did.

next - some bowl history:
The Gophers are 2-0 in the Quick Lane Bowl, beating Central Michigan 21-14 in 2015 when they advanced with a 5-7 record based on their APR score, and topping Georgia Tech 34-10 in 2018 to finish 7-6.

Bowling Green has won five of its past six games and finished in third place in the Mid-American Conference's East Division. The Gophers and Falcons have split four meetings, with Bowling Green winning the last one, 14-10 in 2021 at Huntington Bank Stadium.

and - they like us!
Brad Michaels, executive director of the Quick Lane Bowl, on Friday said the bowl would love to have the Gophers. He added that the Gophers being in Detroit for the third time in nine years wouldn't be a concern.

The Gophers have been a strong attendance draw for the game. The second- and third-highest announced attendance figures for the bowl have occurred when Minnesota has played in it — 34,217 in 2015 and 27,228 in 2018.

I could not have asked for a more entertaining opponent. X-D

Much better attendance draw for them than 5-7 Gophers. I don’t think you can apply any conference selection rules and “courtesies” when you have a 5-7 team.
Kansas will bring the whole state, yes that game much better draw for them.

Lets see. RT air to Detroit: $800. Hotel (at least 1 night): $400. Meals: $200. Tickets:$150 Local transportation: $??? Against Bowling Green? Nope. Couch time in MN. Saving for Michigan and UCLA in 2024.
Mrs Gil and I are waiting for the UCLA game with family that live out there and big UCLA fans, that will be fun.

Lets see. RT air to Detroit: $800. Hotel (at least 1 night): $400. Meals: $200. Tickets:$150 Local transportation: $??? Against Bowling Green? Nope. Couch time in MN. Saving for Michigan and UCLA in 2024.
No booster bus?

Hopefully we’ll get all our players back from injury so we can have our best team on the field

AK said he is entering the portal. People say he won't play but could he enter after this game? Is it a done deal?

Another yahoo who should probably stay in their bunker.
We stayed in south mpls last 2 nights and if you covered you ears you could hardly hear the gun fire.

AK said he is entering the portal. People say he won't play but could he enter after this game? Is it a done deal?
Even if he enters the portal you can choose to reverse that and join your team.

I feel like a lot of the QBs out there will be doing that actually, and other players.

Hopefully we’ll get all our players back from injury so we can have our best team on the field
Clearly the nice thing about a game on the 26th as opposed to mid December some time.
We stayed in south mpls last 2 nights and if you covered you ears you could hardly hear the gun fire.
No gun fire the last couple nights down there. Were you at a arcade?

Even if he enters the portal you can choose to reverse that and join your team.

I feel like a lot of the QBs out there will be doing that actually, and other players.
Personally I would take a QB on our team as opposed to one that is transferring out.

I was curious, so I looked it up:

according to google maps, driving time from Minneapolis to Detroit is estimated at just under 10 hours. 693 miles.

A nice enough drive in the summer (save Chicago). Winter…mmmm yeah I don’t know. Maybe.

What‘s scarier, Chicago drivers in the winter, or Spirit Airlines maintenance practices?

Tickets through the school are $100 😂😂😂😂😂

I love the U but I am not propping up our ticket sales for that ridiculous price. I know they don’t pick the price but that is just robbery.

I went to this bowl in 2020 for $10

Yeah, just give it to a player. Paradigm has shifted. Sorry Mark.

Top Bottom