Gophers-Colorado St scrimmage

Winona St won the NCAA in 2006 and 2008… and blew a 6 point lead in the last minute or something like that or they would of won in 2007 as well… Macalester is well coached and a improving program. Should be interesting…

if macalester is a "test" as marcus puts it, this team is in serious trouble. macalester vs a bigten team should be a romp

2006 minnesota lost their exhibition game to winona state. November 30th 2006 Monson resigned. If the gophers lose to macalester CBJ should resign immediately and not wait until november.
He’s saying that CSU was a good test for the newcomers (because they played a lot of minutes).

Please don’t take secret scrimmages seriously. How many years of this do we have to go through for people to understand?
So, you're saying the gophers were trying to "sandbag" the game or they were attempting to get all players some experience while the Colorado state was playing their top players.

Winona St won the NCAA in 2006 and 2008… and blew a 6 point lead in the last minute or something like that or they would of won in 2007 as well… Macalester is well coached and a improving program. Should be interesting…
winona state had a good coach and played good team basketball in 2006. for d2

Losing to a d2 program suggested the gophers would struggle against d1 programs, and they did. big time.

if the gophers don't have an easy time of it vs macalester, i would wonder why the heck the U would bother spending $8 million for so little return

if macalester is a "test" as marcus puts it, this team is in serious trouble. macalester vs a bigten team should be a romp

2006 minnesota lost their exhibition game to winona state. November 30th 2006 Monson resigned. If the gophers lose to macalester CBJ should resign immediately and not wait until november.
WInona State in 2006 is on a whole different stratosphere than Macalester. Losing to Macalester this season would probably be 100x worse. I can't foresee that happening.

My concern is that the program will continue to sustain increasing permanent (or semi-permanent) damage the longer this goes on. Even as I write, the Gophers are--and are now known as--a perennial bottom-dwelling program. Even the fans seem to have accepted that: I'm surprised and dismayed how passive and apathetic the fan base and local community have been throughout this. To me, that's the most concerning sign. I'm a little afraid to go to the first game and see how bad the attendance is.

Once this nightmare is over, it's going to be harder to recover from than most people here think it will be.
There's already significant damage done by whiffing on this hire, no doubt. But MN fans will generally back a winner. If you'd told me in September 2022 that Target Field would be packed and rocking 13 months later, I don't think I'd have believed you.

My concern is that the program will continue to sustain increasing permanent (or semi-permanent) damage the longer this goes on. Even as I write, the Gophers are--and are now known as--a perennial bottom-dwelling program. Even the fans seem to have accepted that: I'm surprised and dismayed how passive and apathetic the fan base and local community have been throughout this. To me, that's the most concerning sign. I'm a little afraid to go to the first game and see how bad the attendance is.

Once this nightmare is over, it's going to be harder to recover from than most people here think it will be.
The rot started with retaining Pitino at least 2 years too long.
And has accelerated under CBJ.
They won't recover until/unless admin gets serious about hiring a coach.
Every day they retain Johnson is a waste of time, and just makes recovery more difficult and more expensive.

be careful what you wish for. I heard a rumor that if Johnson is fired, the administration will insist that the next coach is multi-racial and trans-gender, so that they can check off all the diversity boxes at once. other requirements will include: "must have watched a basketball game at some point."

semi-seriously - I am not sure that the Administration gives a rip about sports - other than the financial aspects. and I am not sure that Coyle gives a rip about anything other than Football and the TV money.

I don't think that the administration sits around arguing about "what's wrong with the men's basketball team?" maybe - I said maybe - there might be 1 or 2 regents who pay attention to sports.

point being - the people on this board care more about men's basketball than the people running the University and the people who hire the coaches. align your expectations accordingly.

be careful what you wish for. I heard a rumor that if Johnson is fired, the administration will insist that the next coach is multi-racial and trans-gender, so that they can check off all the diversity boxes at once. other requirements will include: "must have watched a basketball game at some point."

semi-seriously - I am not sure that the Administration gives a rip about sports - other than the financial aspects. and I am not sure that Coyle gives a rip about anything other than Football and the TV money.

I don't think that the administration sits around arguing about "what's wrong with the men's basketball team?" maybe - I said maybe - there might be 1 or 2 regents who pay attention to sports.

point being - the people on this board care more about men's basketball than the people running the University and the people who hire the coaches. align your expectations accordingly.
There is some truth about the administration but saying they don't care at all is false. And even if all they care about is the $$, winning = money and letting the program rot will cost $$.

I think that could be one aspect of St. Thomas going Big East that could help them. It would force them to care and pay attention.

That's pretty much what happened last year.

This program is a joke under BJ.
Losing by 4 points to CSU is bad but losing by 40 - regardless of the scrimmage format is devastating. I went to the open practice and came away hopeful, but this scrimmage news makes me realize that we are destined for 14th place again. This program, which I support financially, physically and emotionally has been a complete mess with no reason to believe it will ever be competitive.

There are two profitable sports at the U, football and men’s basketball and yes they care about both.

In basketball, with the rules presently in place, a good coach can create buzz and be competitive in year one. See Pitino at St Johns. The first question for the Gophers...by saving the $8 million dollar buyout...(Let me backup...shouldn't the first step be firing the AD who negotiated an $8 million dollar buyout after year two for an unproven coach?) I digress...by saving the $8 million dollar buyout...how much do we lose in lost revenue? How much do we lose in potential NIL partnerships because the sparkly newness of NIL will have faded by the time we fire Ben? How much ticket revenue? Advertising revenue? Fundraising apathy? How much harder to recruit if you finish last three or four years in a row? (Probably, only matters for area recruits.)

And after this season the questions go to only a $6 million dollar buyout.

With the new proven respected hire...he probably isn't coming to Minnesota unless you pay him a lot. Combine that with Ben's buyout. Oh, and if the new guy is going to make a splash, he needs some NIL money. I suggest the Gophers budget a percentage of 2023 revenues for lottery tickets.

“The administration” again. Sigh.

Their role - as it relates to sports (they have a ton of higher priorities, like, oh, figuring out the business model for public higher education going forward) - should be to hold the Athletic Director accountable for key performance indicators. First on that list should be "don't be Sparty", i.e. run a scandal-free operation. Second has to do with budget. That's tied with the promotion and success of the revenue-producing sports, but it is the AD's job to see to that and evaluate the performance of the coaches in meeting those goals.

UMinny is a research university. I wonder if every recent hire has been a social experiment? 🤔

I just remembered how last year Alabama lost to TCU 99 - 69 in a secret scrimmage and a bunch of people started to freak out. They finished that year as the top overall seed in the NCAA tournament.

Hypothetically even if the Gophers only played some combination of their 8 least experienced and/or scholarship returning-from-injury players:

Betts
Christie
Fox
Ihnen
Keinys
Purcell
Ramberg
Reader

I would tend to find this score alarming.
But their leaping ability.......

Interesting that Marcus didn't report the score that all of us (including him) have seen. Given that there's next to no information known about the scrimmage, why wouldn't he report the score, and instead just say "double-digits"?
Because he thinks this kind of sugar-coating will curry favor with the people he needs to have access to cover his beat? He never asked about the pitiful scheduling, or if he did, he accepted the "we really tried" explanation with glee. Sometimes people get so focused on keeping their job that they forget to do their job.

My God! The team hasn’t even played a real game yet and the pitch forkers are out in full force. Let’s wait until January before getting our undies in a bunch.

There's already significant damage done by whiffing on this hire, no doubt. But MN fans will generally back a winner. If you'd told me in September 2022 that Target Field would be packed and rocking 13 months later, I don't think I'd have believed you.
I did buy $11 tickets to the game that broke the playoff streak though. $11 for a playoff game!!! Teams will have to prove it first, and not just with hope.

"The administration" as the bogeyman under the bed is tiresome and intellectually lazy. This isn't the first you've heard this from me, and it won't be the last, as it won't be the last time someone posts this tiresome and intellectually lazy dreck.

"The administration" as the bogeyman under the bed is tiresome and intellectually lazy. This isn't the first you've heard this from me, and it won't be the last, as it won't be the last time someone posts this tiresome and intellectually lazy dreck.

my point - which is admittedly sarcastic - is not that the Administration is somehow holding back Gopher sports.

my point is that I honestly think that there are members of the Administration and Board of Regents who really don't follow sports or care about sports. It's just not something they consider as part of their duties. Granted, there have been regents in the past who were more tuned-in to the sports scene, but they stand out as the exceptions, not the rule.

that's why I said there are people on this board who care more about Gopher hoops than some members of the Administration or Regents.

I'm not accusing Administrators of malicious intent - more like benign neglect.

If you headed up "the administration" would you have hired Ben?

While deep down I know this result is a good indicator of what is to come this season, I’m gonna go with a positive thought about this. I’m “hoping” Ben is 2 steps ahead of Bethune Cookman. He wanted a lopsided score to get out there so BC would be overconfident coming to the barn on 11/16!!

Top Bottom